Editors & Etiquette

Story Info
How to use the Volunteer Editor program to your advantage.
879 words
128.9k
14
4
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Cruising for an editor? A bit of etiquette...

Common sense, above all, should be the watch word. You aren't exactly trying to get a job interview as the CEO of Diamler-Chrysler, so the p's and q's aren't life and death important. You are, however, trying to get a stranger with some knowledge on the subject to look at your story and tell you what they think. You don't want to make this person feel hostile toward you, or think you're rude right off the bat either. Since Miss Manners isn't likely to stick her etiquette minded nose into it, a short list of "guidelines" might be of use to first time, or even 40th time, story submitters.

There is only one set in stone rule. Use your common sense. Some of us have to dig deep to find it, but I'm sure it's in there. Somewhere. 1. Some editors preferred to be queried first. Some don't mind receiving a story and a thanks for your time email. Some might. It's best to query first. Some editors don't have a full box, some don't have time. I've talked with several and opinions on this vary. It's better to be safe than sorry and to err on the side of politeness.

2. Don't assume the editor has the same word processor you do. Some editors use off the wall things, like me. I use Word Perfect. That means I can't read your file. You may be using a Mac and your editor may have windows. In that case, you'll have to paste into an email. Usually saving in rich text format helps.

3. Unless your story is short, don't paste it in an email without asking the editor first. I don't edit online. I do it in WordPerfect, and cutting and pasting out of the email usually loses the formatting.

4. Be polite and don't use "chat or email" shorthand. hi, :~) hope u have time to do this 4 me! If an editor you are querying is pretty busy, this may get you rejected.

5. Please realize that the editors are all volunteers. They are doing this in the interest of good writing and good stories. They aren't being compensated in any way, shape or form. They don't have to accept your story and it's not a privilege to edit your story. On the other side of the coin, you are due a timely response. If the editor you've chosen doesn't return your email within a reasonable amount of time, look through and find another one. (Laurel's note: if an editor does not give you a timely response, please email Laurel with the details.)

6. All the editors come from different backgrounds. Some haven't edited anywhere else, they just have a talent with grammar, punctuation, and spelling. If you are looking for something specific, let them know. Sometimes an editor and a writer just don't match up. Don't be disappointed or feel that your writing isn't any good because your editor doesn't feel that they can edit for you due to a style difference. It's your content, not your writing that the editor has trouble with. Ernest Hemmingway is a master author, I can't stand to read it. Stephen King is a master author, some people can't stand to read it. Danielle Steel is a master author, some people can't stand to read it.

7. Don't argue with the editor. They are merely giving you their opinion, you may take it or leave it as you choose. In some instances the editor is dead wrong, and bringing it up to them in a polite, assertive way will do far more for both of you than doing it either passively or aggressively. Everyone is human.

8. Your story is your baby. When an editor points out something they feel is wrong, don't get offended. They aren't attacking you or your story. They are trying to help you. Writing and editing is a learning process, some of the bumps in the road can hurt.

9. After you get your story back from the editor and start going through it to consider the feedback, don't feel that you have to check with your editor for every single change, or even any of them. Some things you should be able to learn from. You were fully capable of writing an entire story by yourself, then you found the courage to send it to a complete stranger for his or her opinion. You have the ability inside of you to apply whatever your editor has told you to the story. You are writing the story, not your editor, so you don't need your editor's approval for everything. You can always make changes and resubmit it to your editor for a "what do you think?" look.

10. If you feel your editor isn't doing anything for you, or you just don't "click," you don't have to keep using an editor out of politeness.

Bear in mind that these are suggestions based on my personal experience and the experiences of a few editors that I have spoken with. Feel free to add or make corollaries to anything. Some of these things don't apply to all authors, or even most of them. Common sense will win the day.

  • COMMENTS
4 Comments
greenday0418greenday0418about 3 years ago
Very nice but

What am I doing wrong if I have sent an email to 20+ editors and received 1 response back, which was Sorry but... All had updated profile in last 10 months.

GigglingGoblinGigglingGoblinover 7 years ago

I like this guide, though I feel like I'd go a lot further on "arguing with the editor": Don't. Even if you think they're dead wrong. If they really are, you can get a second opinion. The only possible excuse for voicing any dissent is if they clearly missed something outright stated in your story. If they did, you can let them know, but even then, bear in mind that they probably missed it because it wasn't made clear enough.

Arguing with the editor pisses off your editor. I do not recommend it under any circumstances. It offers almost no benefits and a whole lot of negatives.

notasshynotasshyabout 17 years ago
Thank YOU

Thank You for helping to clarify,editor etiquette. I have been thinking of asking for help,and did not Know how to go about it.Now I just need to find the courage to do so.

marvelous4allmarvelous4allover 17 years ago
Nice to have it.

It is too far above satisfactory for me to comment otherwise. Superb is correct; it is above excellent. Outstandingly written it is in my light as a new volunteer editor.

I need to use it also. First encounter is suspense.

Thank you for the common sense. Your technical news is great too.

I would like the writer to click 'file' on the upper left corner of the 'Internet Explorer', and roll down to 'send'; move to the right arrow: and click email page.

I would like them to do this; after they click 'Preview'in Literotica. I hope I have helped anyone.

Thanks again for your brilliant work.

Share this Story

Similar Stories

Make Big Bucks Selling Fiction How to sell your dirty stories and make big bucks.in How To
How to Punctuate Like a Pro A relatively painless look at punctuation.in How To
A Crash Course in Grammar A little English Grammar that won't cure your insomnia.in How To
A Taste for Christmas Cake A shy guy is seduced by his older, female Japanese manager.in First Time
The Promise Promises are meant to be kept.in Romance
More Stories