Words of the Week 02

Story Info
Weekly vocabulary for writers: 6/7-6/13.
860 words
3.33
75.4k
1
0

Part 8 of the 16 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 06/04/2004
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
velvetpie
velvetpie
1,283 Followers

Whenever I read, I keep a pencil handy and I underline words that I don’t know and dog ear the page so that I can go back and look them up in the dictionary. I have always been interested in etymology and even took Latin for three years. I hope that these words can help all of us in our writings. Be sure to check out your dictionary for additional usages of the words and spellings associated with changing the word from adjective to adverb to noun … etc.

BARRAGE
noun

Pronounced: bar-RAAJ

Meaning: A massive concentrated and usually continuous discharge or shower (as of missiles or blows)

Example: In Puritan New England, those who broke the law were sometimes put to death by abarrage of stones.

* * * * *

PINNACLE
noun

Pronounced: PIN-akle

Meaning: A lofty or high point.

Example: The clouds obscured thepinnacle from the view of those in the valley below.

* * * * *

LANGUID
adjective

Pronounced: LANG-wid

Meaning: Sluggish in character or disposition.

Example: In India, Mary always felt hot and toolanguid to care about much of anything.

* * * * *

HISTRIONICS
noun

Pronounced: HIS-tree-on-iks

Meaning: Theatrical performances (also known in today’s words as DRAMA!)

Example: Teresa loved the theater from an early age and excelled inhistrionics while in school.

* * * * *

COGNIZANT
adjective

Pronounced: COG-niz-ent

Meaning: Aware; perceiving with a degree of controlled thought or observation.

Example: Watching television commercials can make viewers morecognizant of fads and fashions.

* * * * *

SATURNINE
adjective

Pronounced: SA-tur-nine

Meaning: Possessing a moody or surly character; morose or sullen.

Example: Shirley’s father-in-law is asaturnine person with a quick temper.

* * * * *

VACUOUS
adjective

Pronounced: VAK-u-us

Meaning: Emptied of or lacking content.

Example:Vacuous spaces within the meteorite made it easy to split in half.

* * * * *


FISSURE
noun

Pronounced: FISH-ure

Meaning: A narrow opening, chasm or crack or some length and considerable depth, usually occurring from some breaking, rending or parting.

Example: Afissure ran through Irene’s backyard after the earthquake.

* * * * *

NOXIOUS
adjective

Pronounced: KNOCK-shus

Meaning: Harmful or destructive to man or to other organisms.

Example: Emma is studying thenoxious effects of gasoline fumes.

* * * * *

YENTA
noun

Pronounced: YEN-ta

Meaning: A person that meddles.

Example: Evelyn’s children laughingly refer to her as ayenta when she tries to set them up on blind dates.

* * * * *

ACRIMONIOUS
adjective

Pronounced: ak-ri-MOAN-ee-uss

Meaning: Caustic, biting or rancorous, especially in feeling, language or manner; bitter.

Example: It was obvious that Marjorie’s comments wereacrimonious and complaining.

* * * * *

WANDERLUST
noun

Pronounced: WAAN-dur-lust

Meaning: Strong or unconquerable longing for or impulse toward traveling.

Example: Kate’swanderlust caused her to postpone college so that she could tour Europe.

* * * * *

DUPLICITY
noun

Pronouced: doo-PLIH-suh-tee

Meaning: Deception by pretending to entertain one set of feelings and acting under the influence of another.

Example: When the candidate’sduplicity was exposed, his supporters felt embarrassed and betrayed.

* * * * *

OMINOUS
adjective

Pronounced: AHM-in-nuss

Meaning: Indicative of future misfortune or calamity; causing anxiety or fear.

Example: For an instant, there was anominous stillness, quieter and more silent than ever before, as if even the air was holding its breath.

* * * * *

RUEFULLY
adverb

Pronounced: ROO-ful-lee

Meaning: In a pitiable or woeful manner.

Example: Joeruefully replied that he hadn’t been able to bring any lunch with him.

* * * * *

KABUKI
noun

Pronounced: kah-BOO-kee

Meaning: Traditional Japanese popular drama with singing and dancing performed in a stylized manner.

Example: Performers ofKabuki must learn to move with great control.

* * * * *

ONYX
noun

Pronounced: AH-nix

Meaning: Of the color jet black.

Example: The teacher told the schoolchildren that space looksonyx from the shuttle.

* * * * *

EMBELLISH
verb

Pronounced: emm-BELL-ish

Meaning: Enhance, amplify or garnish (an account) by elaboration with inessential but decorative or fanciful details.

Example: Ivan likes toembellish his stories a little differently each time he tells them.

* * * * *

RADIANT
adjective

Pronounced: RAY-dee-ent

Meaning: Marked by or expressive of joy, pleasure, love, confidence or happiness.

Example: Emily looked positivelyradiant when she saw her newborn sister for the first time.

* * * * *

IMPECUNIOUSLY
adverb

Pronounced: emm-peck-KUHN-nee-uss-lee

Meaning: In an indigent, penniless manner.

Example: George squandered his inheritance and plodded through the remainder of his lifeimpecuniously.

* * * * *

TIRADE
noun

Pronounced: TYE-rayd

Meaning: A protracted speech usually marked by abusive language.

Example: The grumpy woman screamed atirade of protest whenever children made joyful noises outside her window.

* * * * *

JOVIAL
adjective

Pronounced: JOE-vee-uhl

Meaning: Characterized by or showing marked good humor especially as exhibited in mirth, hilarity or conviviality.

Example: Thejovial chef made cooking look easy and enjoyable.

* * * * *

ZEPPELIN
noun

Pronounced: ZEPP-eh-linn

Meaning: A rigid airship.

Example: Olga’s dream was to ride in azeppelin one day.

velvetpie
velvetpie
1,283 Followers