Words of the Week 03

Story Info
Weekly vocabulary for writers: 6/14-6/20.
848 words
3.67
69.5k
1
0

Part 9 of the 16 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 06/04/2004
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
velvetpie
velvetpie
1,272 Followers

Whenever I read, I keep a pencil handy and I underline words that I don’t know and dog ear the page so that I can go back and look them up in the dictionary. I have always been interested in etymology and even took Latin for three years. I hope that these words can help all of us in our writings. Be sure to check out your dictionary for additional usages of the words and spellings associated with changing the word from adjective to adverb to noun … etc.


ZENITH
noun

Pronounced: ZE-nith

Meaning: The point, peak or summit of culmination.

Example: Winning the Faculty Award was thezenith of Stephanie’s college career.

* * * * *

CANDESCENT
adjective

Pronouced: kan-DES-cent

Meaning: Glowing or dazzling often from great heat.

Example: Acandescent meteorite streaked across the Southern sky.

* * * * *

MAELSTROM
noun

Pronounced: MAIL-strum

Meaning: A powerful current that usually moves in a circular direction with extreme rapidity.

Example: A memorable scene from the movieFantasia features the sorcerer’s apprentice caught in amaelstrom.

* * * * *

DOSSIER
noun

Pronounced: DOSS-e-ay

Meaning: An accumulation of records, reports, miscellaneous pertinent data and documents bearing on a single subject of study of field of investigation.

Example: The physician kept a carefuldossier on each of her patients.

* * * * *

PEEVISHLY
adverb

Pronouced: PEEV-ish

Meaning: In a manner marked by ill temper.

Example: “There, you see,” He saidpeevishly. “I’m even afraid to make a positive statement.”

* * * * *

TESTACEOUS
adjective

Pronounced: tes-TAY-shus

Meaning: Having a shell.

Example: The oyster is atestaceous marine animal.

* * * * *

JAUNDICED
adjective

Pronounced: JOHN-dissed

Meaning: Exhibiting or affected by distaste or hostility.

Example: Dr. Willis wasjaundiced and querulous after being bedridden for so long.

* * * * *

BLASPHEMOUS
adjective

Pronounced: BLASS-fem-us

Meaning: Speaking or writing irreverence toward God.

Example: During the Middle Ages, many books were condemned asblasphemous and burned.

* * * * *

OPULENT
adjective

Pronounced: OP-u-lint

Meaning: Exhibiting wealth or influence.

Example: Leather wall covering is one feature of the room’sopulent décor.

* * * * *

QUERULOUS
adjective

Pronounced: KWER-u-lus

Meaning: Expressing complaint; fretful or whining.

Example: As the crow fluttered from the tree, it gave a loud,querulous caw.

* * * * *

ARGOSY
noun

Pronounced: ARR-guss-see

Meaning: A fleet of ships or of anything likened to ships.

Example: The lone schooner had gotten separated from theargosy in the inclement weather.

* * * * *

HUMIDOR
noun

Pronounced: HUE-mih-door

Meaning: A case or enclosure (as for storing cigars) in which the air is kept properly humidified.

Example: Art always kept his expensive cigars in ahumidor.

* * * * *

ULTIMATUM
noun

Pronounced: ull-tim-MAY-tum

Meaning: A final proposition, condition or demand, especially one whose rejection will end negotiations and cause a resort to force or other direct action.

Example: If the striking workers refused itsultimatum, the company threatened to close the factory permanently.

* * * * *

LABYRINTH
noun

Pronounced: LAB-ih-rynth

Meaning: A structure full of intricate passageways that make it difficult to find the way from the interior to the entrance or from the entrance to the interior.

Example: Lost in thelabyrinth of passages beneath the castle, the invaders gave up the attack plan and instead concentrated on finding a way out.

* * * * *

SHENANIGANS
noun

Pronounced: shuh-NAN-eh-ganns

Meaning: High-spirited, daring or mischievous acts or pranks.

Example: On the first day of school, Mrs. Gibson warned the class that she would not put up with anyshenanigans in her classroom.

* * * * *

ECTOPLASM
noun

Pronounced: ECK-toe-plazm

Meaning: The emanation from a spiritualistic medium that is believed to effect telekinesis and similar phenomena.

Example: In the movies, people are always getting slimed by what they call ‘ectoplasm’, but if it exists, it would more likely look like mist.

* * * * *

NEFARIOUS
adjective

Pronounced: nuh-FARE-ee-us

Meaning: Heinously or impiously wicked; detestable.

Example: The murderer’s crimes were considered sonefarious that he was sentenced to life imprisonment without parole.

* * * * *

GRANDEUR
noun

Pronounced: GRAN-dyoor

Meaning: Personal greatness characterized chiefly by dignity of character, largeness of spirit or significant scope of accomplishment.

Example: After Katherine Graham’s death, many magazines ran feature articles describing hergrandeur in the world of newspapers.

* * * * *

WANTONNESS
noun

Pronounced: WAN-ton-ess

Meaning: The quality or state of being without check or limitation.

Example: Thewantonness of comfort Georgetta experienced as a young child caused her to become a spoiled brat.

* * * * *

RETRIBUTION
noun

Pronounced: reh-tri-BYOO-shun

Meaning: Something given or exacted in compensation.

Example: Art felt certain that his fender bender was divineretribution for all the times he had honked his horn impatiently at other drivers.

* * * * *

FECKLESS
adjective

Pronounced: FECK-luss

Meaning: Impractical and shiftless.

Example: Mort was worried that his long periods of unemployment would make him appearfeckless when he applied for a job.

velvetpie
velvetpie
1,272 Followers