180 Degrees-Tae & Vicky's Tomorrow 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Babe?"

Tae asked again, her voice tight. I sighed...this was my life now, wasn't it? I couldn't have her worried about me all the time.

"I'm fine," I finally managed to force out. She didn't say anything for a moment and I knew she didn't believe me. I wasrelievedshe didn't believe me. But I also knew we didn't have time to talk about it.

"What's next?" I asked, a little anxious about the answer.

"You're coming to me."

I don't think any other answer could have made me happier. Well, except maybe if she was coming to get me. So I listened to the plan, and then stared at the silent phone after she'd disconnected. She hadn't told me she loved me. I'd needed to hear it. But I could hear it in my head. I would always be able to hear those words, in that voice, in my head. So I closed my eyes and took a second to reach for it, tohearit...to let those words touch me...soothe me. Then I took a deep breath, grabbed my packed overnight bag from the back of the closet, the one Tae had helped me pack before she'd left, and went to find Jari.

*

We didn't take my Ford. Instead Jari stole a car. I don't know how she did it. It was a newer model car and she had some type of gadget that did something to the car's computer...I didn't really care. It was a smaller car, a hybrid, so we were able to drive a long time before we had to stop. At the gas station she finally stopped at, after I'd made my way to the bathroom, I glanced around the convenience store and realized we were in some part of Kansas. We'd been driving for hours, it was in the later part of the morning, and while I'd slept, I figured Jari had to be pretty tired. The car had GPS, so I could drive if she wanted to sleep. That's what I'd planned to tell her as I left the small store and approached the car, but the look she gave me, intense, no-nonsense, had me quickly sliding into the passenger's seat and donning my seat belt. We were on the road again before I dared to ask.

"What's wrong?"

"They're following."

Two simple words...but they didn't make any sense to me. We'd left New Mexico hours and hours ago in a stolen car. How could they be following us? And how could she know that?

Jari wasn't talkative, so as I stared out of the passenger side window, I tried to answer the questions myself. How could they know where we were? How could they be close enough to make Jari nervous? They must have had someone watching me. When Dylan didn't check in? Or perhaps once they'd found me? For all I knew it could have been the guys Tae had hired to watch me, the ones that didn't stop Dylan from showing up in my office that first time? Or it could have been anyone else. The person wouldn't even have to be very good at his, or her, job. I wasn't trained to assess if someone was following me or not. That first night, after Dylan approached me, I drove straight home to call Tae. If someone had been assigned to me, they would have known exactly where I lived.

And how would Jari know that someone was following us? That they knew where we were? Well, Tae, or her Grandfather, had probably assigned someone else to us when they'd heard what happened. So, Jari was getting updates or reports or whatever the hell the word was. I'd heard her phone vibrating every hour or so, but I'd ignored it. Then I'd fallen asleep. But clearly she could easily have been told any number of times that they were on to us. So it wasn't farfetched. And that also meant we weren't as safe as I'd assumed. For some reason I thought we had very little to worry about after leaving my apartment. I really had to get a freaking clue.

I don't know how long all of these thoughts had been going through my mind, but when I looked over at Jari, she looked even more tense then she had after leaving the gas station. I was about to ask her what was going on now when she took a hard right and we barely made it onto an exit ramp doing about 80 miles an hour. She slammed on the breaks, slowing us down, and then started making her way down local streets. Her phone vibrated, she glanced at it, but then kept driving, making turns randomly, driving through busy parts of the small town, filled with people and shopping areas, and then driving through quiet residential neighborhoods. I was holding onto to the little handle above the door for dear life, not knowing when she would make the next turn at break-neck speed. I was surprised we didn't get pulled over by the cops.

Her phone buzzed again, she glanced down at it, and then I heard her let loose a string of curse words I didn't even know could go together. But the next words she directed at me did not make me feel any better.

"Victoria, do you know how to handle a gun?"

Seriously?Seriously?What the hell was this, some horrible action-adventure movie that was taking on a new plot twist? Did I know how to handle a gun? No I didn't know how to handle a gun! On what planet would I have learned how to "handle" a damn gun?

"No."

She swore again, in that thick, sexy Spanish accent that, I swear, I swear, would really be turning me on if things were different.

"My bag. Front pocket."

Her bag was right behind her seat in the back, so I reached for it and rummaged through it until I found what she was referring to. A small gun, or pistol, or whatever it was called. Pink. She had a damn pink gun. It wasn't as heavy as I imagined it would be.

"That latch on the side?"

I found what she was describing, showing it to her. She nodded.

"Safety. Push it down."

I nodded, thinking she meant when I was ready to use it.

"Now,Victoria."

I glanced at her, my heart suddenly doing a wicked dance in my chest. It took me a second to figure it out, but I did as she ordered.

"Twenty-two caliber. Holds 10 in the mag."

I nodded again. This couldn't be happening. Why was she telling me this right now?

"When I pull over, I want you to get out and run. Run, but stay out of sight. Back yards. Behind people's houses. Try to find an open back door. If you do, stay there, upstairs in a bedroom, hidden. Do you understand me?"

I wanted to say no. I wanted to beg her not to force me to leave the safety of the car, no matter how false that sense of security was. I wanted to call Tae.

"Yeah," I said instead.

"You hear anything that sounds like someone looking for you. Footsteps moving quietly through the house instead of someone coming home from work or school and just behaving normal, you shoot first and then get the hell out of there. Aim for the chest. Got it?"

I was nodding, but it was surreal. This couldnotbe happening. She reached into the back seat, handed me my backpack (my "to-go" bag), and then, seconds later, pulled over and yelled at me to run. I did. I took off. Running. Her instructions in my head: stay behind the houses, keep to back yards, stay out of sight. I ran and ran...and then kept running, even when my chest started to hurt, there was a sharp pain in my side, and my legs were trembling.

I have no idea how far I'd gone when I felt myself slowing down. So I started looking at the houses I'd been passing. This was a decent neighborhood. Not too many dogs in the back yards. Somewhat small houses, but neat back yards, not filled with junk. Nice patio furniture, decent gills...people who cared about their homes. It was the seventh house I tried when I felt the knob on the back door give. The door popped open and I held my breath, listening to see if a dog was approaching or if it sounded like anyone was home. The gun was in my hand, just in case. I didn't hear anything, so I stepped into a small kitchen. Neat, relatively clean, a few dishes in the sink. I didn't spend any more time there, locating a flight of stairs and making my way up. All of the doors were closed and I was passing a door on my right when suddenly it opened and I came face-to-face with a young girl, probably early teens, slim, blonde, blue eyes...she wore a pair of boxer shorts and a pink tank top with white polka dots...and her eyes had settled on the gun I was absently pointing at her. I lowered it immediately...apologetically.

"You shouldn't leave your back door unlocked when you're home alone. It's not safe."

I'm not sure why the teacher in me took over. I'd broken into her home and pointed a gun at her...was it really my place to lecture?

"Yeah, my mom tells me that all the time," she said, curiously calm. "Is that real?" She asked, indicating the gun I now held down near my thigh.

"Uh, yeah. I'm sorry. I—"

She shrugged, "it's cool. Do you need help or something? Do you need to borrow my phone?"

I shook my head, "no. I just...um...I'm really sorry to ask, but I just need to stay out of sight for a while. I won't bother you. Is that okay?"

Was I really having this conversation with a complete stranger? A teenager? I mean...what the hell?

She shrugged again, "I was just about to get dressed and head out. They were testing at school this morning, so I didn't have to go in early. You can hang out in my room as long as you don't steal anything."

I looked at her, my head cocked to the side. She really was adorable, the picture of American beauty...but she was really naïve if she thought it was okay to allow a stranger to just hang out in her house with orders not to steal. I mean...really?

"Look, I appreciate it. I really do. But...it's not safe to let people just hang out in your house. I mean, if they don't rob and kill you immediately, then most likely they are going to steal something, don't you think?"

Big sister? Teacher? Director? Social Worker? I don't know who was giving this lecture, but consideringIwas the criminal at the moment, it seemed quite absurd.

She looked me over and then shrugged again, "you're carrying a bag that costs about $200, wearing sneakers that cost a little more, and jeans that cost at least $100. You're pretty, your hair is nicely styled, even though you're all sweaty. And you had a look of...I don't know, absolute fear on your face when I opened the bathroom door. If you wanted to hurt me, you had a chance to shoot me, but you didn't. I figure you're in trouble and not a serial killer. So, it's all cool."

She was quick...and astute. And suddenly I wondered ifshewould have dated someone like Dylan and wound up in the trouble I was in. Something told me she was probably smarter than that.

She moved past me, "I'm going to change. Stay here for a sec and then you can just chill in my room. My mom won't be home until around 6. My brother has practice tonight, so he'll be home late, and my Dad isn't usually home until 7, so you're all good."

I found myself nodding as she filled me in on her schedule.

"Thanks," I offered softly.

She disappeared then and I sat down in their small hallway on the nice, but slightly stained, carpet. The air smelled a little stale, now that I could take a deep breath, and I knew they probably needed to replace the carpet up here. Lots of people waited to replace the upstairs carpet. Or perhaps times were just tight right now. The absurd thoughts kept going through my mind. I figured they were better than thinking about what was really happening in my life at the moment.

She emerged about 10 minutes later. Jeans, a white button-down shirt pulled over the cute tank top and left open, white sneakers. She looked cute and about as female and teenager-ish as possible. She handed me a piece of paper.

"Our address in case you need to tell someone where you are. And my phone number just in case. Oh, and my name. It's Casey."

My eyes filled with tears. It was the end of the adrenaline rush, I told myself, but this kid really was sweet as all hell and it was getting to me. So I only nodded, not trusting myself to say anything at the moment.

"If you need to stay here longer, my closet is pretty big. And pretty messy. No one goes in there." She offered the information with humor, laughing at herself. "So, it's a good place to hide. And if you need to get out of the room in a hurry, the roof of the patio is right under one of my windows. It's not a huge jump from there, I've snuck out once or twice. Oh, and there's food in the fridge."

I nodded again, wiping my eyes quickly before meeting her clear, blue eyes. I wanted her to leave suddenly, just in case I had not been successful avoiding the people after me. I didn't want her to get hurt.

"I won't be here when you get back. Just...thank you, okay? And lock your doors when you're home alone."

She smiled, offered a little wave, and then jogged down the stairs. I heard what I assumed was the front door close a few seconds later. Then a car started up and pulled off.

I shoved the gun into my bag, along with the piece of paper she'd given me, and then entered her room. I thought it was would be pink and frilly, just my own bias I guess, but it wasn't. The colors were random, the walls were white with pictures stuck to them here and there, and there were multi-colored rugs tossed in various places. It also wasn't at all neat. Clothes appeared in random piles around the room. It felt lived in and "real"...I liked it. And I liked Casey. Although if I did get out of this alive, I was going to really talk to her about trusting strangers. Even female strangers who appeared to be in trouble. But for now, I just dropped down to the floor, my back against one of her walls, and leaned my head back, trying to figure out what I was supposed to do next. Was Jari okay? Was I supposed to call Tae? I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath...and fell asleep.

*

Hours had passed. The sun was setting. Which meant people who lived in this house would be home soon. I was laid out on the carpet and sat up, looking around. Thank goodness no one had come home early and found me. I stretched and realized I'd slept pretty soundly (I would think about how idiotic that was, given the circumstances, later). I had about $5,000 in cash on me (once again thanks to Tae), so I left $500 under Casey's pillow, along with a smiley face on one of her heart-shaped post-its and my work number in New Mexico, telling her to call me if she ever needed anything. I then used their landline to call information and, subsequently, a cab. I left their cute little house about 15 minutes later. I wasn't sure what I would do next as I slid into the backseat of the cab. Jari had not suggested a place to rendezvous, which meant I was on my own.

I was hungry, so I had the cab drop me off at a diner. I sat in a dimly lit corner with my back to the wall and facing the front door. I had placed my order and the waitress was bringing me a cup of coffee when I heard the diner's door open. My eyes swung in that direction and I watched, with a little surprise, as Jari made her way toward me. She sat across from me without a word. It took me a moment...

"You paid the woman at the counter," I surmised.

"And the women and men at the counters of about 10 other diners around here as well as a few motels. I knew you would surface eventually. But what am I going to say next?" She demanded harshly.

"That if you could pay them off to keep an eye out for me—"

"Exactly. You weren't thinking."

I hadn't been thinking. I'd been tired, hungry and...lost. But it had only been about 30 minutes since I'd left a "safe" place and she'd found me. If it was Marcos...I shook my head at my stupidity. I should have kept going. Maybe found a place an hour or two away? A cab would have driven me further for the right price. I had to get better at this...

"What now?"
"Well, your woman, my new boss, was kinda pissed when she heard I'd lost track of you. Sounded like she wanted to slit my throat and drink my blood. So, we need to stay put."

I raised a brow, surprised by her jokeandthe suggestion that we stay put. The waitress brought over the bagel with cream cheese I'd ordered and asked Jari if she wanted anything. Jari asked for the check. By the time the waitress returned with it, I had eaten half the bagel and was ready to go.

The car was a large, black SUV this time. Jari pressed some device to start the engine as we climbed up into the monstrosity. Seconds later, she was handing me her phone.

"Vic?"

I closed my eyes, relieved to hear her voice, even if it was strained.

"I'm okay. I'm sorry you were worried."

Silence. Then, "I'll see you soon."

And she disconnected the line. She was coming to Kansas? For me? I sighed...I'd fucked it up.

"That's why we're staying put? Because she's coming to baby sit me?" I asked sullenly.

Jari barely glanced at me, "and the Don is pissed. But apparently she is her father's child. Stubborn. Hard headed."

I sighed again. So she was risking her life, and her future, for me again. If anything happened to her, her Grandfather would be devastated. He'd probably go so far as to join the list of people trying to kill me. God, why was I so bad at this?
"Relax, I'm surprised she didn't take care of this herself in the first place."

I shook my head, "I suck at this."

Jari snorted, "oh, you missed the college class where they taught you how to shoot guns and avoid people trying to kill you? How many credits is that class worth nowadays?"

I smiled a little. She really was in a different mood today.

"Why are you in such a good mood?" I asked abruptly.

"First, I killed the asshole who put his hands on you. Second, I bumped into a friend and got some ass while I was waiting for you."

I was touched by the first part of her statement, but at the second I looked at her shocked, "really? Is that in the college course also? You don't know where the person you're protecting is so you get some ass?"

She chuckled as she continued to drive. We fell into a pretty comfortable silence. I saw her looking around until she picked a pretty crappy motel and pulled into the parking lot. I winced, but didn't say anything.

"Why would I choose this one?" She asked suddenly.

"Uh...you're tired of this job and if I die of some contagious disease I get from the sheets here, you won't get fired?"

She smiled briefly, "seriously."

I thought about it for a moment, relying on my television knowledge of keeping a low profile, "they probably will allow you to pay cash and won't ask for ID or a credit card?"

"Give the girl a doggy biscuit."

I shook my head, smiling, as she left the car running and went in to register. Minutes later she was driving around back and handing me an actual key, not a key card, on a green key chain with the room number.

"I'm next door. Keep the door locked and the curtains closed."

She didn't say another word, grabbing her own bag from the backseat after parking in front of our rooms. I followed suit, looking around after locking the door behind me. It was worse than I'd imagined. The furniture was old, chipped and stained. The carpet was a dark, muted burgundy with very interesting patterns that masked whatever disgusting things had probably spilled onto it. And the comforter was snagged in various places with interesting stains ground in. I wondered what the sheets looked like beneath it. I tossed my bag on the bed and decided to take another shower. I felt a little grungy after having slept on Casey's floor. I wasn't sure the tiny little bathroom, which was questionable in terms of sanitation, would cleanse me, but it was better than nothing.

Hours later, I still hadn't been brave enough to slip in between the sheets. So, I was sitting up in bed, on top of a pretty worn blanket that had been under the gross comforter but protected me from the sheets, watching TV. When I heard a key in the door, I just assumed it was Jari...it wasn't.

She'd barely locked the door before I was in her arms. She held me for a moment, close to her, inhaling deeply...then her hand made its way to my hair, pulling my head back...and her mouth covered mine hungrily...brutally. The feelings that rushed through me were dizzyingly familiar...and felt wonderful. She brought me with her, back toward the bed and I forgot about the potentially disgusting sheets. I couldfeelher...her strong hands, touching me, everywhere, undressing me...her full breasts, pressing into me...the weight of her almost suffocating...I felt nothing but heat spearing through me. Her lips left mine, her teeth marking my neck, her hand having made its way past the waistband of my jeans, her fingers gliding along the length of me, finding their way to my core...I was speeding toward my first orgasm and she'd only been in the room for five minutes! I bit my lip, swallowing the moan as the orgasm hit me full force and left me trembling moments later...