3: Scars Remain Ch. 03

Story Info
Taming the beast.
7.1k words
4.78
30.7k
36
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Spartan22
Spartan22
607 Followers

V -- Beauty And The Beast

Frustration had been building up in Kaylee for the last several weeks. The unusually grey skies and relentless rain over Northern California seemed to make her temperament even worse.

Of course it didn't help that, despite helping Luke take baby steps in his journey towards recovery, he still refused to get help. It wasn't until a serious no-holds-barred argument that she made it crystal clear to Luke that she wasn't about to back down. She had never torn into Luke with as much ferocity as she did when it came to getting him back to the counselor, and it was enough to begrudgingly convince him to go.

"Promise me," she said, brushing her bangs out of her face, pacing back and forth in her apartment refusing to take her eyes off of Luke. Arguing with him had built up quite a sweat.

Luke glared at her. He wasn't happy. "Don't push it," he snapped back. "I said I would go, period."

"Promise," she exclaimed forcefully, refusing to back down. She'd stand toe-to-toe with him if she had to.

Luke sighed angrily. He gave in, just to avoid arguing. "Ok, fine. Promise."

At first Kaylee was thrilled, but there was something on Luke's face that stunted her excitement. He seemed reluctant, or maybe it was uncertainty. Luke was never uncertain.

It occurred to her that she might have pushed him too hard in an effort to get her way, even if her way was the right way and more importantly the most beneficial for Luke. He needed to get help, but she worried she may have browbeat him harder than she needed to.

Luke abruptly turned away from her. "I'm gonna go lift. Need to work on my shoulder," he said, briskly walking down the hall to her exercise room. He wasn't exactly sulking, but he looked tired, as if he was ready to throw the towel in not just on their argument but on everything. Which was very uncharacteristic of him.

She couldn't help but feel bad. She scampered after him, placing a hand on his shoulder, gently turning him to face her. "Wait up, cowboy!"

Before he knew what was happening, she caressed his face and planted her lips on his. The kiss was electric. She knew it was for Luke because of the surprised look in his eyes; for her, it was simply because it was always electric whenever they kissed.

"I'm sorry," she pouted in her best baby voice. She knew he couldn't resist her, especially when she talked like that, but the truth was she wasn't stringing him along. She was serious, and her apology was serious. Wrapping her arms around a stunned Luke, she kissed his chest and nuzzled against him. Kaylee practically purred when she felt Luke stroke her head, lightly running his fingers through her hair.

With her eyes closed, enjoying the physical touch from Luke's fingers, she sighed, "I shouldn't have been so hard on you. It's just that... well, I want to protect you, too. The same way you've always protected me. Let me do that, please?"

"I guess it's only fair," Luke said, trying not to let her see a small upward curve of his lip. "Do you want to go see a movie? I guess I can work out later," he asked her.

Kaylee squeezed him even tighter. He was always thinking about her, and she loved that. "I'd love to! I just want to be with you right now, wherever that might take me."

---

"Slow down, Luke! We're not even late," Kaylee screamed, reaching for the dashboard after being thrown back against her seat, clearly startled as Luke gunned it down the freeway ramp.

That brat! It was intentional, too; he deliberately slowed to five miles per hour at the base of the ramp before slamming the accelerator and throwing it into third, fifth, and then sixth gear within mere seconds.

Clutching his leg, she bit her lip and said, "You know I hate it when you do that."

"It's not like we're going to go back in time; this model came without the flux capacitor. Besides, I'm not speeding. I just got to seventy-five real fast. That's our legal interstate speed limit," he said calmly as the screaming Challenger soared. "Ok, so maybe I'm five or ten over. That doesn't change the fact that you love it when I do that; we both know it turns you on, baby!"

Kaylee tried to stifle a giggle; there was no way she'd let Luke know he was right. "'Turns me on, baby'? What happened to the shy boy when we first started dating our senior year, the one who wouldn't dream it was possible to say something like that, let alone recklessly break the speed limit?"

Luke shrugged, "Don't know. I guess I've changed a lot. Do you miss him?"

Kaylee thought for a moment before smiling, "Yes... but no. It's like your mom always says, 'God made you to be you, so don't be anyone else', and I think she's right. You'll always be you, even if some of your habits have changed, and even if your confidence has grown. I don't care if you drive fast today or slow tomorrow, you're still the man I love. The one thing I ask you don't change is your love for me, Luke Patton."

Luke glanced over as if she was crazy. "Impossible. I never could do that," he said bluntly, as if it was a hard and fast fact that she should have known.

Of course, she already knew that, but she liked hearing it anyway.

"Wait, where are you going," Kaylee asked, looking out the window at the exit Luke passed. "You just missed our exit."

"We're going to a different movie theater," he said.

Perplexed, Kaylee tried to read his face in an attempt to figure out his angle. Luke simply smiled; they both knew he had her on her toes.

Several minutes later, Luke pulled in to a drive-in theater.

"I didn't even know we had a drive-in! How long as this been here?"

"A while, as far as I know," Luke replied.

"Well, you're lucky it stopped raining this morning. So, why a drive-in, Mr. Patton," Kaylee asked with a raised eyebrow and a seductive look in her eyes. "Does someone have dishonorable intentions?"

A devious smile appeared on Luke's face, "If you make me watch one more chick flick, I figured maybe I could turn it into a positive thing. Did you notice the blankets in the back seat?"

Kaylee's eyes grew wide and her jaw dropped. She turned around to look in the back seat, but nothing was back there. She hit Luke's shoulder. "You tease! Don't you dare lie to me again! Especially about that. You already know how I feel..."

Luke laughed, "Sorry. That doesn't mean I won't slide the seat back and put you on my lap."

"Mmm, I like that," Kaylee moaned.

Luke parked the car and opened his door. "I'm going to hit the concession stand. You want anything?"

"I'm not sure. I'll go with you; it will give me a chance to stretch my legs. I thought my muscles were going to seize up on me the way you hit the ramp," she said, getting out of the car.

Taking Luke's hand in hers, she said, "This place is kind of old, but it's nice. I didn't think these things still existed. I'm also surprised how many people are here." Kaylee took note of all the other people at the drive-in, most of which were teenagers or young twenty-something's. Over half of the lot was full and several more vehicles were still trickling in. Even the concession stand line was surprisingly long.

Kaylee blushed, "You're sneaky and conniving, Luke Patton, but I'm kind of looking forward to our... um, to when the movie starts."

Luke snickered, "Me too. I love you, Kaylee Reed."

Her heart fluttered. It wasn't often she got the big 'I love you' from Luke, so she treasured each and every time he said it. If she had a way to record those three little words, she'd play them over and over every minute of every day.

Leaning in towards Luke, she kissed his cheek.

Kaylee fully intended on confessing her love for him in return, thinking of the best way to deliver 'I love you, too' back. But before she could, a thunderous BOOM went up as one of the cars driving past them backfired.

Luke jumped, but immediately tugged Kaylee's hand and pulled her downwards, covering her body with his as he crouched down low. He wrapped both arms around her tightly in a protective bear hug.

Holy shit!

Kaylee thought fearfully, Not again! This can't be happening!!

He yelled at Kaylee, "Stay down!"

Kaylee could hear him grunting through rapid short breaths. She tried loosening herself in his arms despite his iron grip, barely managing to twist her body so she could face him. His eyes were squinting tightly and his jaw was clenched; his entire body was shaking but he held his position firm, protecting Kaylee. He was reaching for something, desperately grabbing for something that wasn't there -- she guessed he thought he was reaching for his sidearm.

She could feel the eyes of everyone in line upon them. A couple of guys were even laughing.

Embarrassment wasn't even a consideration for Kaylee; it never even occurred to her. The old Kaylee would have died from humiliation, but since she met Luke, he impacted her life so much that anyone staring and laughing -- specifically at her -- didn't bother her.

What bothered her was the staring and laughing at Luke; her face grew red with explosive anger. It took all she had to ignore them and instead focus on Luke, who needed her badly.

"Luke, it's ok," she wheezed out calmly, trying to breathe, his strong arms still wrapped tightly around her. He relaxed his grip just enough for her to raise her hand and gently place it on his cheek. "Look at me, Luke," she whispered, breathing a little easier.

It felt like she was trying to tame a wild beast. She didn't know if she could do it, but she would stop at nothing to get him to snap out of it and bring him back to reality. Luke began to shake harder, and started to stand up frantically. An intense rage lit up his eyes in a way that Kaylee had never seen before; he let loose a guttural growl, almost as if he was possessed.

Moving in closer, her nose within inches of his, Kaylee desperately placed both of her hands on his face and raised her voice just enough to get his attention, "Luke, Luke, Luke! Look at me, baby."

Luke dropped back down to his knees, still shaking and confused. He momentarily glanced at Kaylee; it was as if he didn't recognize her.

One of the onlookers laughed, "What the fuck is his problem?"

"Holy shit, are you seeing this," another chuckled, filming the unfolding event with his camera.

Grinding his teeth, Luke tried to look around but Kaylee held his head in her hands, gently but firmly, refusing to let him look away from her gaze. As terrified as she was inside, she knew she had to be strong. Tears formed in the corner of her eyes as she witnessed the hurtful words fall upon her boyfriend's ears, watching the one she loved more than life itself suffering from invisible demons.

As calmly as she could, she cooed, "Luke, look at me; no one else. Stay with me baby. Stay with me... I'm right here. You're angel is here... remember me? Your radiant angel? Stay with me, please..."

Putting her acting skills to the test she tried to remain calm for Luke, although in reality she was terrified. For him. She blinked rapidly, trying to make her tears go away. It took everything she had to put her worry aside, not to mention her rage towards the few onlookers laughing at Luke.

All she could do was pray he would forget the environment around him, and bring him back to her. The amount of pain Luke was in made Kaylee want to curl up on the ground and bawl until she was out of tears, but she knew she had to be strong for him.

After all, he had always been so, so incredibly strong for her. Tremendously strong. It was the least she could do for her cowboy.

His head didn't move, but his eyes were darting all around him, gradually beginning to center. Kaylee didn't back down; she held him until his eyes found hers.

The beast was starting to leave him; her Luke was returning. As his awareness came back, a look of embarrassment and shame crossed his face. It broke Kaylee's heart. "You have nothing to be ashamed about," she whispered to him, kissing his lips.

Luke's eyes were watering. He cast his eyes downward. Kaylee gently took his chin and raised his head. "You're a hero, Luke. Even before you went overseas, you were always my hero. I mean it; you have absolutely nothing to be ashamed about."

She wouldn't let him avoid the issue. "Luke, I love you, and that's all that matters to me. Do you love me, too?"

After a brief pause, Luke nodded his head in acknowledgement. She wasn't sure if he believed her, but she still smiled through her tears as she witnessed his confidence returning little by little. The emotions coursing through her was intense, but she knew it wasn't a fraction of what Luke was feeling.

"Of course I love you. I... I'm sor..."

Kaylee cut him off, "Luke, you do not need to apologize for that. There is nothing to apologize for."

Again, Luke reluctantly nodded, but she knew he was hurt.

"We're working through it. You'll get better in no time. And I'll be by your side, the entire way."

Kaylee stood up, coaxing Luke to do the same. She threw her arms around him one last time. "We can go home if you like; we don't have to stay for the movie."

Luke shook his head, quietly whispering to her, "We can stay." Despite his embarrassment and reluctance, he was willing to stay. Kaylee marveled at his strength, but she wasn't so sure that staying was a good idea. She regretted even giving him a choice.

While she wanted to believe the two of them were swept away into a fantasy world where only the two of them resided on planet Earth at this exact moment in time, the truth was Kaylee could still sense the camera filming the two of them, and she could tell in his skittish eyes that Luke knew it was there, too.

"Can you go wait for me in the car, baby," she asked him, trying not to sound agitated. "Don't turn around; just look for the Challenger and keep walking towards it. Just trust me that I'll be right there. I'm right behind you."

With a deep breath Luke ran his fingers through his hair, nodding as he turned to leave. Kaylee impatiently waited as long as she could, watching him walk away as a mother might watch her children on the way to the school bus.

She could only hope he was just outside of earshot. Quickly wiping away a few tears, her peaceful, loving face dramatically turned into a snarl.

Kaylee turned around.

It was time to unleash.

Staring down every one of them, she screamed, "What the fuck is WRONG with you people?" Before she realized it, she lurched forward, snatched the camera out of one of the bastard's hand, and threw it on the ground as hard as she could.

"HEY," he shouted angrily, dumbfounded at what had just happened.

Kaylee swiftly struck with her knee right between his legs and shoved him backwards as hard as she could; he dropped like a rock and bellowed out a high-pitched scream. His two friends were no longer laughing; they stared at her with wide-open eyes, completely in disbelief. All color in their faces had drained away.

She could tell they weren't expecting that, and they weren't sure how to handle her. One of them hollered, "You crazy bitch! What the hell?" They both backed up as she stepped forward; they were pissed off but unwilling to provoke her further, risking the same fate as their buddy who laid on the ground in sheer agony.

Kaylee stomped on the camera with her heel, digging it into the ground, releasing all of her tension and anger. She reached down to grab the broken camera, pulling out the flash card out just in case it had somehow survived. Surprisingly, it did look intact. Maybe she hadn't done a good enough job smashing the camera after all. Kaylee would fix that problem -- she spiked it on the ground as hard as she could.

"Crazy? You haven't begun to see me crazy," she yelled, "but if you ever, EVER laugh at my boyfriend again -- a war hero, by the way, who provided you three pathetic assholes the freedom to act like the losers you are -- then you'll see me fucking PSYCHOTIC."

Kaylee stomped off with her nose in the air. She turned around once more, pausing to look at the three thugs one last time. She pointed her finger at them as if it was loaded with bullets, almost daring them to challenge her. They didn't say a word. In fact, she could hear all of the other onlookers snickering at them. She at least felt a little better.

Spinning around so quickly her hair whipped across her face, Kaylee walked off, carefully brushing her golden locks to the side. Kaylee never had an adrenaline spike of that magnitude; she felt like crying for Luke and smiling for putting those losers in their place, all at the same time. Most of all, she wanted to run to Luke and make sure he was ok, but she wanted him to see the calm side of her so she restrained her pace to a brisk walk.

"You're shaking, hon," Luke told her, leaning against his Challenger. It was ironic; considering what had just happened he was calmer than he should have been, and yet she was the one that felt like steam was rapidly escaping out of every pore in her body. Then again, she knew he was always calm whenever she was riled up.

He held his arms out to her, wide-open and inviting. She instinctively collapsed into them but not before noticing a silly grin on his face. Rolling her eyes, somewhat embarrassed, she sighed, "You heard that, didn't you. I thought I told you to wait in the car."

Luke gave her a week smile, sarcastically telling her, "Well, gosh, I was going to, but I couldn't seem to open the door with these clumsy paws of mine. Besides I just would have torn up the interior with my spiked collar and sharp teeth."

"You know what I mean," she pouted, closing her eyes. It felt wonderful in his arms; she wrapped hers around him in return.

For a few moments, Luke simply held her in his arms. He wasn't smiling anymore. "Kaylee," he said quietly, "what's wrong with me?"

She squeezed him tighter, "Nothing is wrong with you, baby."

"Kaylee," he murmured, "you know that's not true. There's a lot wrong with me. I'm broken. We both know that."

Kaylee sniffed, unsure what to say. She didn't want to demoralize him, but she couldn't pretend nothing happened. She told him, "You just saw some bad things. You went through a lot. It won't be like this forever; I swear! I'll be with you, and we'll get you through this."

Luke nodded, but she wasn't sure that he was convinced.

He told her, "What you did for me was simply amazing. I can't explain it any other way. I don't know what I would do without you; you've always been there for me. You're a precious gift from God, you really are. My heart aches for anyone like me that doesn't have someone like you. Thank you." He squeezed her even tighter, lightly kissing her forehead. "Thank you," he whispered, reemphasizing his heartfelt gratitude.

Her face lit up, "There's no need to thank me, baby. There will always be idiots like that, just like we dealt with in high school. Don't let them get to you. Let's see where they are at in ten years; if they're not buying and selling drugs, then they'll be fighting each other to leave the grill so they can get promoted to cash register at the corner burger joint."

Luke gave her a weak smile, "People can change, Kaylee. Maybe they'll grow up."

"Maybe, but they'll never be a hero like you."

He tensed up. Luke told her, "I'm not a hero, Kaylee; I've told you that."

"You don't get to decide," she told him flatly. "True heroes never decide that they're a hero. Other people decide when the evidence is clear. Just because you've tried your hardest to keep a low profile doesn't mean anyone forgot what you went through."

Luke was about to say something, but Kaylee countered, "Don't argue with me. We'll get through this. I'm just so glad you're going to go to counseling again and that you're letting me help you."

Spartan22
Spartan22
607 Followers
12