All Comments on 'A Case of Self Defense'

by Rehnquist

Sort by:
  • 292 Comments (Page 3)
jtwheelsjtwheelsabout 4 years ago
Long but worth it cheaters caught and punishment

Good guy and gal live happily ever after

Agree with positive recent comments only read about 15

5 stars and favorite

MarkT63MarkT63almost 4 years ago
Nice one

BTB!!! All cheaters pay in the end. Great Karma story!!! 5 STARS again!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Minor Historical Point

I’m old, worked high tech from 1970 into 2005. The FIRST case of computer theft I remember being prosecuted was stealing fractional amounts from produce transactions for a large food company, so I was intrigued by the story. Thanks.

LT56linebackerLT56linebackeralmost 4 years ago
Great Story...

Had to check, and make sure it wasn't written by StangStar 06, but still great. BTB. I really thought Jen was not involved ,but possibly had been assaulted or raped.10 stars. I can't count. The Bear approves.

The BEAR

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
When Jennifer

Winced as she sat down explaining that she slipped, fell and hurt her tailbone I knew right there she was the third conspirator.

This story read so much better than any movie or TV show I've ever seen as far as courtroom drama. After some 40 years in the security business there are a few points that Ben should point out in his report. First, never have I seen in residential, commercial, local or up through numerous Federal agencies CCTV cameras installed in bathrooms as it was when Broussard was watching Ben take a leak. That would not be done by any ethical company and is illegal in any jurisdiction that I have ever worked in, short of a court order. Second, he should be pointing out that data closets should not be used as janitor closets. Third they should be secured either by restricted keys or preferably a monitored access system. Fourth, if the system is to be protected all, data areas should me monitored via at least door alarm contacts, if not motion detection and recorded video. Fifth, there should be outside forensic accountants doing unscheduled audits. I don't fault the Author on any of this as he wrote as an attorney showing how the legal system should work when things spin off of the rails and for me he did an excellent job and he wisely stayed to his areas of expertise.

I do remember the Duke scandal, I just didn't realize that it was so long ago. More recently if one is in doubt about the legal profession, look at Texas; an Attorney General under Federal indictment since 2015 for Securities Fraud and has been re-elected during that time. A certain County Prosecutor was elected after a campaign donation of over $1,000,000.00 by a high profile personal injury attorney who now has his own civil court issues. To the credit of the voters the County Prosecutor was voted out of office after it came to light that in judges chambers he threatened the defense attorney along with other issues in his office, the defense attorney defeated him in the next election.

Longhorn__07 did a very long, very good story about a prosecutor with similar intent as Robinson in this story in his 'Uncertain Justice'. It didn't deal with as much the legal aspect but more with the fallout and how the protagonist dealt with it. One of the reasons I enjoyed LH_07's story beyond just the skill of the Author is I was a juror reading it in the very same Courthouse and Courtroom where he placed the first of the drama. Oh, and I did enjoy the previous comment about having to double check if this story was written by SS06. Signed: BTW

TajfaTajfaover 3 years ago

Another great read. It's a pity you stopped writing (or have you moved on to better things) I hope you are well and someday reward us with another of your great stories. Gave 5 stars and wish I could give more.

johsunjohsunover 3 years ago

WOW! Great one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
BTB indeed.

All the twists and turns and BTB. Good Read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
What a great story

Loved the story. Had trouble sorting all the characters out for a chapter but things got easier. This could have been better developed and turned into a novel. Keep up the good work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Spellbinding

Just brilliant.

Nothing like a good courtroom drama.

So well written.

I look forward to reading many more of your stories.

Ang, Australia

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Give credit where credit is due

Nice story, well written, except the movie "office space" at least gave credit to the movie "Superman 3" for the idea of stealing half cents. Other than the plagiarism, decent read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

another great story from you. just one little thing- jeff wasn't exactly a monster for wanting more money (there was no big harm to anyone involved). if it is just about him conspiring for something illegal, then the same could also be said about ben; he also withheld evidence regarding the case and made a grand scheme to secure his future. if his excuse is that he had been wronged, then so had jeff (he was literally struggling with money after a divorce). So basically everything was great except the treatment that jeff was handed.

lukeshortlukeshortover 3 years ago
3rd Reading Still BRILLIANT

5*

Mr_Sap24Mr_Sap24over 3 years ago
Love it

A good thrilling story, would have loved to give it more but the ending just felt like something is lacking.

dgfergiedgfergieabout 3 years ago

Excellent story, the tangled webs we weave when practice to decieve! I got a little confused in the beginning when she plotting this scheme with who I thought was her husband and then he got pissed cause she was sleeping with Richards?? Did I get name confused. Great conspiracy story although I had time keeping track of the conspirators.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

The idea of taking fractions of cent has been to IT for decades!

bauslander1bauslander1about 3 years ago

Love the story. So many slimey characters. Very well developed. It was easy to hate them all.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

2nd read still a great story. Thank you for sharing your talent with us.

Legio_Patria_NostraLegio_Patria_Nostraabout 3 years ago

BTB with a flair!!! A Ric Flair, that is!!! BOOM!

gfrhgfrhalmost 3 years ago
2nd story that I've read

This second story that I've read is good also. However, it also has the same problem of the writer using the wrong names of characters at times. It's way too late to suggest an editor since the latest stories are from 2011. This issue really takes away from the stories for me.

afanoffanlitafanoffanlitalmost 3 years ago

Oh my….how did I miss this one for so long? Simply outstanding. A BTB to end all BTBs. Simply magnificent.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Thank you for 2days of reading pleasure

xhristianjxhristianjover 2 years ago

Quite possibly the best cheating spouse revenge story on here by quite a bit. And whats even better is the fact that the cheated spouse doesn't turn into a glorified cuckold or a complete asshole by the end of the story.

Cracker270Cracker270over 2 years ago

Good story. Character development off the charts. Getting the names confused is the only negative

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Masterpiece.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

very good!...

JRandyJJRandyJover 2 years ago

I liked it! 5* Keeping characters straight was tough at first for this old man.

R69runnerR69runnerover 2 years ago

I loved it, what a great, well-thought out story. Well told from beginning to end. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great story could not stop reading Did not see that ending coming but was the best

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

It's been over 10 years since a Rehnquist story crossed the threshold of this site. So I doubt he'll see this addition to a well-deserved chorus of praises. Right from the git go, StangStar06 referenced Rehnquist as one of the best (along with JPB, DQS, Hue Dogg and Hermit). Subsequently, such masters as Carvohi, Jidoka, Javmor79 and the incomparable BlackRandI1958 have joined the summit. Anyway, this is an absolute masterpiece. Though that would be just another day at the office (or in court) for this former chief justice of LW. And though that would be a great way to end my comments, I have to add one other thing. Ben and Rebecca here may have influenced the coming together of David and Maggie in Jidoka's equally classic "In Her Eyes."

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

ΦΟΒΕΡΗ ΙΣΤΟΡΙΑ

AA82ndAAAA82ndAAover 2 years ago

Loved the story. Had a hard time keeping Jennifer and Deb,,, straight.. You were correct about this being a different L/W story. It is the best one I have read. Maybe another? BTRH Rehnquist....Bravo

31 Stories

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Fantastic story. One of the best I have seen on this site.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Well done!

Great twists along the way. Extreme BTB at the end with total lifetime, denial of mother's visitation to her daughters.

Clearly, I need to follow up with this author's stories.

gladventurergladventurerover 2 years ago

Excellent! I will likely read it again. A little hard at first to keep track of characters and who's who but that added to the story in my mind since it was kind of a "whodunnit mystery". At first I thought Broussard's wife was co-conspirator, but it became clear she wasn't soon enough. Nice twist too with Susan Flowers and Jennifer Bradford both being in auditing and looking nearly identical, physically and morally apparently. Part of me kept hoping that Jennifer really did love her husband and children enough that she wasn't the 3rd conspirator. But when she came home sore that night, I thought she must be the one screwing Jeff. Subtle, because he was large. Still it left some doubt. She could have been unfaithful with another man or even with Jeff without being the co-conspirator. Nice work. A side note, Jennifer claims she did this for the girls because she loved them. Love should never be blamed as motivation for doing the wrong thing. The opposite is true, love is always the motivation for doing the best thing for everyone involved not just ourselves. In fact, there really is no best for ourselves that isn't best for others too. Surely Jennifer would make that admission now, wouldn't she? People who blame love for doing unloving things reveal they don't really know what love is. Love never takes from another person for itself. But receives with gratitude what is freely given to them. It was troubling for me to consider how many woman would submit to Broussard to keep their job or get ahead, but I understand that's part of the story that solidified Jennifer's defense later, so was ok with it even though I don't believe many woman would agree to that. Then again, if I am to believe the stories on Literotica about loving wives, it might be more than I think or hope. Thank you also for a story that understands a little of mercy when justice is meted out. You seem to understand the difference between revenge and "merciful justice" and restitution. Bravo! Despite everything Jennifer did, I still wanted mercy for her, happiness too. At first I was a little sad for Jennifer that she would not be able to see her daughters, it seemed a little cruel, too steep a price to pay until I thought about it and realized she can legally see them because of visitation rights. To do so would mean paying for her sins? What a quandary? What will she do? Does she love them enough to face the truth about herself and pay for her crimes? Is this not the decision we all face in our lives when we choose to deceive someone we love? But this is always the end of deception, because we always deceive ourselves before we deceive others. Imagining there will no price to pay. And our deception always hurts the people we love as they pay the price of our deceit until such time as we step forward and pay for them ourselves or perhaps, accept the forgiveness that God (who is love) offers through Jesus. Masterful story writing! Really!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago
That decimal rounding scam

The scam was a secondary plot in one of Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat books 5 decades ago.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Well written, a jam up good story!

dgfergiedgfergieabout 2 years ago

I was with gladadventurer about getting confused in the beginning, with who was screwing who and everything. This was my second read and you really pulled it together in the end. Talk about karma and what goes around comes around. At least the little girls had a good and loving dad. They don't give us guys much credit for being a good and faithful husband when divorces happen. This was a great 5 star story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Cripes, I used to think Perry Mason was the best. Sit down Perry, there is a new cat in town and his name is Rehnquist !!

ChopinesqueChopinesqueabout 2 years ago

It's an awesome story. Crafted so well, and with what seemed to me to be a latter-day film noire style. I do have to say I wondered about the missing name of the female conspirator from the beginning. I thought it had to be Susan Flowers. If you did a screenplay of this you'd have to stage it so the audience never sees the female conspirator, and the two women's voices would have to be close to identical, but there were films like that! When thee are a lot of characters introduced fast, sometimes I create a crib-sheet with the names and connections and key facts. That' when it hit me that there was no certain name for the villainess. 'Hmm, that's odd...' Your professional background enriched the story. Thank you for one great read!

ChopinesqueChopinesqueabout 2 years ago

Second comment: The fractions of a cent embezzlement scam actually happened in the '70s at Fidelity Investments. A rogue programmer did it and got caught.

SunnyU2SunnyU2about 2 years ago

Jennifer should call their bluff on the video tape. They would go prison also

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

I’m sure it’s been Mentionedbut the movie office space which is a hilarious classic has a significant part of the plot thistype of stealing fractions of cents

rlrmiller1951rlrmiller1951almost 2 years ago

granted she meets every requirement of a socieopath and her girls are far better off, still the ending left me feeling sad.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Saw no Loving Wives here

LifeisadventureLifeisadventurealmost 2 years ago

Good melodrama. Seems like the characters in the beginning changed names and a few other times in the story names seemed to be mixed up? But liked it overall. 5

arsenelupin66arsenelupin66almost 2 years ago

OMG, the "odd penny" or "fractional penny" is such a hackneyed trope, and it has to be the single most well known fraud in computer security, and could never happen. That this author would use this reveals his complete and utter ignorance of financial security. Plus, even though this was written 12 years ago, all of the computer detailing is wrong. The prosecutor in the case, in spite of the examples cited in the intro, is just not believable, eg, the first witness, the widow, would have been deposed before testifying. If this author is really an attorney, then he knows facts and details matter, and this story fails convincingly.

Simon_MastersSimon_Mastersalmost 2 years ago

I enjoyed it, great work of fiction, very entertaining.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

For fucks sakes people.

"Oh the fractional penny scam would never work...it'd never work! Blah, blah, blah. Whine, whine, whine."

It's a fucking free story assholes. A VERY good free story. So just fuck right off.

One of the best I've read in a while here....what with most of all the shit that gets posted in LW.

I have read all of the rest of his stories...but somehow missed this one? Quite good.

Unless you are programmer by day evidently...and then this gem becomes a piece of shit because "the computer detailing is all wrong". Or unless you are a financial guru like some...then this shows his "utter ignorance of computer security". Or lastly if you are an expert lawyer who never has anything ever go wrong in the courtroom...then you'd know "facts and details matter" Rehnquist. Geez. Next time hire a computer hacker/programmer to consult on the finer points of computer fraud. Get some advice from a hedge fund manager. And lastly...go back to law school. More effort and time and money on your part for your next free story please. Write us a "fictional" story that is exactly correct in every single detail. That way it'll be entertaining AND earn a 4.5 plus voter rating here.

Oh wait. It is already entertaining and it's really highly rated.

Sometimes there just is no satisfying everyone.

DeanofMeanDeanofMeanover 1 year ago

Gus Gorman would be so proud, unlikely that automated systems would not discover this but other than a slight challenge to realm of possible dam dude you can write. The only challenge I had as a reader was keeping track of who was doing what to whom, but I suck with the names and not getting better as I fly past 60 lol.

bigurnbigurnover 1 year ago

This is one of the few stories that I have rated as a 5 ⭐ . Well written with only a few small mistakes. Such as referring to the detective by Ben's last name. Even during a second reading, this was a great read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This was nothing short of brilliant. Everything here had the important impact of not just plausible but likely.

The degree of moral depravity here nearly defies belief. Especially Jennifer, with Allain neck in neck with her. She appears, very nearly, to be a sociopath. Further, a muderess motivated by greed and without a shred of remorse for killing Allain; not that a monster like him, who destroyed more than 18 lives,didn't deserve in 20 times over.

I have, as a reader, one suggestion. Please have a bit more care in introducing all the chracters by name right off. It took me a while link up who belonged with who and the what.

I am so glad that a real attorney did the legal aspect of the story. It lent solid realism throughout.

VERY WELL DONE SIR!

-'highcountryrider

BabalooieBabalooieover 1 year ago

Very well done. 5 *

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

O.K., finally a very good writer! I usually don't make comments on the story because it IS only a story. I also don't know much about the details of the law to be able to make comments. But I will make comments on the writer's ability to connect to the readers. There are only a few very good authors on Literotica and Rehnquist is one of them. Attention to detail, proper grammar and spelling (mostly), the use of mystery and suspense, the ability to create emotion, etc. etc. This is the first of his stories I've read but I'll be reading the rest of them soon.

patilliepatillieover 1 year ago

That right there is beautiful tale telling. My lord this is up there with the best. Kublicon, Todd172?, Qhml, dtiverson, Oshaw, etc Where did this writer disappear to? Thankfully he left us with a decent size library of excellent tales.

tonyneatotonyneatoover 1 year ago

Wow great ending ! I'm glad he's returning the money to the old man. He demonstrates class, dignity

and honesty and probably receive a huge bonus for money found as it was probably not calculated in other audits.

The wife id really burned but lucky she did get away with murder & thieft.

5 BIG STARS ! Loved it ! New Favorite

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Top story. Five stars. Wonder how this would go as a movie script.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Just as good, maybe better, the second time around. Thanks. lpw

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Another one that I enjoyed. I was confused without reading twice about the characters. But your dialog and particularly the court scenes were good and kept me reading when I should have been doing something else.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Read it many times, it becomes better and better, every time reading it.

alan_deealan_deeover 1 year ago

That first chapter took some time to read. The addition of so many different characters in so many different scenarios took a while to get all sorted out. After that though, once the events were more spread out it became much easier to understand but I had to read that first part several times to get a decent handle on things.

SeaChangerSeaChangerabout 1 year ago

Not revealing the jennifer's name in the first few chapters had me re-reading thinking I must have missed it somehow. Too many new names and one missing ... everything fell into place after that. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Brutal. Jennifer's only hope is to go to the police and turn herself in. She'll go to prison, but Ben and Rebecca's role on the coverup will be revealed. In addition, someday her daughters might be willing to visit her. Also, she'll never have to worry about this crashing down on her unexpectedly.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Cliche city.

WoodencavWoodencavabout 1 year ago

Very clever storey! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

No one can have it all. That is forbidden. Excellent story!

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

It's better than a movie. You got me. I thought it was Susan. Really good story.

OldmantruckerOldmantrucker11 months ago

Didn't know where it was going at first.. but dang if you didn't get folks attention !! Good one. 👍😉😁it's Ashame Your No Ionger here.. take care.. and thanks

26thNC26thNC11 months ago

That is one great story from LW’s good old days. A real story, not one extended sex scence. There aren’t many who can stand with this author.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Same, at first I was clueless. I knew something was up with Jennifer but just thought Alain was raping her along with the others, never entered my mind that she was the greedy mastermind! Awesome ending. You sir are extremely talented. One of the best yet I've read.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Excellent writing & story telling.

Saddening, too.

Craig

Cracker270Cracker2708 months ago

If you’re reading these comments in order to decide to read this quit. It is a great mystery. Very enjoyable could easily be expanded in to book or movie format . Enjoy.

WakanohanaWakanohana8 months ago

Excellent story. My only issue with it is during Chapter 30, when you referred to Detective Robinson as "Detective Bradford" a few times, during conversations between him and the real Bradford.

DrtywrdsmithDrtywrdsmith8 months ago

Great tale! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Superb!

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

On page one. Before I dive into the story, one comment. Areolae is the correct, traditional plural of areola. However, areolas is also correct, and fits more comfortably with modern English. Back to the story.

JPB

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Just one more thing, from further on page one. The scheme as outlined mirrors the Richard Pryor character in Superman III. I hope this story takes a more realistic tack.

JPB

TwmatthewsTwmatthews7 months ago

It's a wonderful mystery with rich characters. I like the way you hid Jennifer's real character until the end. Five stars.

SeaChangerSeaChanger6 months ago

I agree with TWMathews. The author did not reveal the name of the MC, Jennifer, for a few chapters. I'll bet I was not the only one that reread the first few chapters looking for her name ... twice ! I remember I had the same problem the first time I read it a few years ago.

** * **

RichardbeardRichardbeard5 months ago

Was quite brilliant, absolutely loved it!

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Go right along with 26thNC below and a few of the others. A top ten very well written story with a crispy-fried bitch.

inka2222inka22225 months ago

4.5 stars. Almost gave it a 5, but there were two problems. First, if he had ALL this leverage, AND he was even able to pressure her into never seeing the girls, why would he leave her half the money from the family assets, effectively, and without child support payments from her? He could have demanded uneven split in liu of child support, for example. Now, she's rewarded with money from the marriage she betrayed.

/

Also, the story hints that Rebecca can't have kids of her own, this was the author's choice and not fair to Rebecca :(

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Tight, suspenseful story somewhat in the 30’s-40’s noir style. Four stars ⭐️ for this one.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

great story, just to prove i read it all, i will critique that a couple of times peoples last names were used wrongly? Once dect bradford asked mr bradford if he cld talk to him(pg7?) and there was at least 1 other instance where names were switched. So im really curious as to the wifes motivation, was she honestly trying to secure the family's future or was she in it just for the money? And if she was in it just for the money, what was her plan once she had it squirreled away where only she cld access her share? was she gonna take her little girs and abandon ben and be on her own? was she going to do that but keep fucking w/ the big dicked dweeb?Anyhow, good story, agree w/ 26thnc's input. thanks for writing and sharing. rk

EHP4269EHP42693 months ago

Excellent, well though out story. A few loose ends that other reviewers mentioned but this is a story and unless Rehnquist wants to write the sequel they will remain unresolved. Those loose ends didn't effect my enjoyment of a really good read.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

5 stars, especially for the court room drama.

bobareenobobareeno12 days ago

I enjoyed this story! And, the law was properly laid out. It appears Rehnquist is a member of the Bar. Please write more, your stories are very, very good! 5 stars.

Beardog325Beardog3255 days ago

Another great story thanks!!!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous