A Different Way of Life

Story Info
A second generation Hippie finds a wife after two lovers.
20.8k words
4.61
71.9k
73
42
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sam Jenkins was a different child. He was smart, heck he was genius level smart with an IQ that tested at 180 when he was a freshman in high school. His parents were unrepentant 1960's style hippies who had made it good. They were well educated and had great jobs but their life philosophy embraced many of the beliefs the "flower children" of the 1960's spouted. This was, perhaps, normal considering they had grown up in that decade. They had both been in love with the Beatles music as well as other contemporary groups. They had both been violently opposed to the Viet Nam War. They had read voraciously about the "free Love" and had read many books and papers on Utopian views of life and how to live with others.

Both of Sam's parents had grown up in the Midwest so the majority of their knowledge about these beliefs came from news shows, paper and magazine articles as well as some of the music they loved so much. Their parents had insisted they attend college. Their parents assisted them with expenses too so when Sam's parents graduated from college and went to work they did not have too large a student loan to pay off. Sam's mother Flower (Daisy was her given name and she HATED it) had majored in Psychology and Sociology. His father Todd had taken a degree in Business Administration. Like many young people of that generation Todd and Flower had tried some of the recreational drugs. By the time they were in college though they had eschewed the harder drugs. Their drug of choice was alcohol with a little Grass or Mary Jane on occasion.

Shortly before graduating college they even stopped smoking. Their alcohol consumption declined until they were what would be called moderate drinkers. Todd and Flower lived their philosophy of love and caring. When they made a friend they would do anything for them if necessary. They helped strangers whenever they could if they felt they were kindred spirits. Even during their college years they let friends and acquaintances live with them if requested. Some of their friends stayed a night, some stayed for weeks at a time. Many times Todd and Flower received no monetary help from their live in friends. Other times they got a token amount. No matter, if you were their friend and they had it, you had it. Sam learned this unselfish way at an early age.

Both Todd and Flower took jobs in a moderately large city as teachers. For the first few years they taught high school then both obtained graduate degrees and began teaching at the local college. Considering their background it is not surprising to any who knew them that they chose to reside in an unconventional location. Shortly after the two young lovers began working and well before they decided to marry they made a purchase that was to impact their and their future children's lives greatly. They were looking for a place to live that was not overly expensive and that suited their philosophy of life. The city had just completed consolidation of a smaller school system outside the city limits proper into their much larger school system. The school district was trying to sell the old middle school in the small town to generate some much needed cash. The building was in marginally good repair and sat on an entire city block.

Todd and Flower thought it would be proper to "recycle" the building, to salvage it and turn it into more than another decrepit empty building. The school building was in a nice but older residential neighborhood. They somehow managed to borrow money from friends and family members to get enough for a down payment on the old building. They ended up with a very large mortgage but their jobs were sufficient so they could service it and still afford to live. Todd and Flower began improving and repairing the building turning a couple of the 6 classrooms three offices, gymnasium and food service area into their home. They even had a local farmer plow up some of the yard for a very large garden.

One of the classrooms was turned into three sleeping rooms and small sitting area. Another of the classrooms was turned into a large living area with one corner set aside for a library and study area. They continued to use the food service area for a family kitchen. It was rare that the only people served were their immediate family. Friends, friend's acquaintances and family members were always welcome to eat with the small family and 'crash' in their home. Guests used one of the remaining classrooms or offices for a sleeping area. The school restrooms served the family and guests just fine.

All during his formative years Sam lived in the old school. Many times his parents let families of various sizes live for varying periods of time in some of the other rooms. From time to time one or the other of Sam's parents brought home a college student down on their luck. These students would stay with them for varying periods of time. Some even lived with them for a year or more until they found someplace else or graduated and moved away. If the student could afford to pay rent or for some of the food they ate they did. If not they were asked to help around the house and yard to pay for their stay.

As time passed Sam and his parents slowly landscaped the grounds making them into a veritable paradise. They planted tall growing shrubs along the boundary fence then a row of trees just inside that. By the time Sam was large enough to play outside the shrubbery was ten feet tall and completely blocked sight of the grounds. When he played outside it was as if he were playing in a Forrest. Every summer they grew many garden vegetables which Flower lovingly preserved for their winters enjoyment. They even purchased wheat and corn from a local farmer to grind into meal and flour.

One of the first expenditure of funds Todd and Flower made was to pull up half the gymnasium floor and install an in ground pool for year around use. Later they tore out the remainder of the gym floor, replaced it with concrete and installed an in ground hot tub beside the pool. They left spots in the concrete open to the dirt underneath for plants to be grown. The end result was almost tropical in nature. The pool and hot tub were surrounded by very comfortable lawn furniture and vegetation. The part of the gym that did not have the pool and hot tub in it was turned into a two story floor plan by adding a second floor over it. This area was converted into yet more rooms for guests with a balcony overlooking the pool.

Being "flower children" Todd and Flower did not wear clothing in their home. None of the windows were low enough for anyone to see inside so once they returned to their home their clothes were taken off. Sam learned nudity from birth and saw nothing wrong with this. All of Sam's parent's friends who visited disrobed upon entering the home. The only exception was business associates that infrequently visited. Even some of them visited nude if they were numbered one of Todd and Flower's friends. The friends that 'crashed' acted like Todd and Flower. Adults slept together in the parent's bedroom and children in Sam's room. No distinction was made for sex. Sam learned at an early age about sex and birth control. Many times he saw his parents or their friends engaging in the sex act consequently it did not hold the same mystery for him it did his peers. It was a natural occurrence and he treated it as such. Sam's parents did teach him to treat his partners correctly, with consideration and to make sure they enjoyed the experience. Sam lost his virginity at a very early age because of his upbringing and the almost commune like environment he lived in.

Sam learned at an early age to avoid conflict. Unfortunately, since that was the case his schoolmates labeled him a wimp. His outlook on life was such that his interests did not coincide with his peers. He did not enjoy sports but would rather read, grow plants or 'commune with nature'. As he aged he became enamored with that new concept called the computer. Since he was a social outcast he took solace in the machines. Somehow he obtained an old TRS 80, one of the first computers, and learned how to program it. As some of the businesses discarded old primitive machines Todd or Flower obtained them for Sam. He learned how to repair and operate the machines. He spent hours programming games on his new toys. Of course as he became more interested in the computers he had even less time for social activities so he became even more of a loner. If you looked up "Nerd" or "Computer Geek" in the dictionary the definition could be condensed to one word—Sam.

The jocks and in crowd did what they normally did to those not in their group. Sam was picked upon unmercifully. None of the few women he tried to date would go out with him because to them he was a geek, a weirdo and therefore below notice. He did have a few friends but they were like him—geeks, nerds, the 'ugly people'. A couple of them even shared his love of the computer and spent many hours in his workroom with him and his machines.

After Sam had been beaten up several times by the town bullies Todd took him aside and suggested he fight back. Sam was 16 at the time and replied, "I thought you and mother didn't approve of violence. Why do you want me to fight now? Besides, I wouldn't know how to do it."

"Sam in general we don't approve of violence but there IS a time and place for it. I love your mother dearly so I try to follow her desires in many things. I never openly confront people if I can avoid it but I have to admit a time or two I have had to stand up for myself or for your mother. I just choose a time and place where she can't see me do so. If you would like to learn a little self defense and can keep it a secret we will see you get some training. Would you like to do that son?"

"Yeah. I'm tired of being the school punching bag. When can we start?"

Todd showed Sam some Karate moves he knew and put him onto an exercise program. After Sam became as adept as his father could make him secretly he decided he wanted to learn more. He really enjoyed Karate. Sam made a deal with a local Karate studio to work as a cleaning person and general gofer in exchange for lessons. By the time he was 18 he was quite good and had earned his Brown Belt.

One of the girls who didn't think she was too good for Sam was April Tisdale. Her parents were blue collar workers who could barely provide for their family. As a result of this April wore old out of style clothes she obtained at the thrift stores. She didn't have money for cosmetics and hair care. Her glasses were the cheapest they could find—what many in the military called 'Birth Control glasses'. They were the old thick black plastic frames with the very heavy cheaper lenses. April's complexion was pale, pasty grey looking because she had to do almost all the housework and child care for her parents and three siblings.

Sam at first talked with April in school because she was in the group of students he was forced into. Sam found he really liked April and had many things in common with her. They had a love for books and reading and loathed sports and the 'beautiful people'. Sam began dating April and they fell in love. April became one of his closest friends in addition to being the love of his life. She enjoyed tinkering with his old computers when she could find time after he began taking her home with him. Her visits to Sam's home were the beginning of the end for the couple however.

Sam's parents stayed out of sight much of the time April visited but she did see them nude from time to time. This bothered her and she told Sam so. He said, "April I know the way we live is strange to you and most other people but that is just the way my parents are. They know you are not into the same lifestyle as they are. You are in their home though and it is their right to dress as they choose. Out of consideration to you they do try to stay out of your sight but you have to accept them the way they are."

As their romance progressed April became more used to Sam's parents and learned to ignore them as they wandered around nude while she was with Sam. She still became embarrassed and blushed when she caught them making love however. By this time Sam and April were almost through their first year at the local community college. April had become one of Flower's friends. She was now accepted as a family member albeit one who was, to them, a little strange. She would run around their home in one of Sam's old T-shirts and would even swim nude with them but she did not sit around the house visiting in the nude.

One day while they were swimming Flower said, "April you have become a very pretty woman. You are smart and kind. I am so happy Sam found you. Would you let me help you with your clothes and make up? I have some old clothes that I think would fit you wonderfully and some old cosmetics I don't use any longer that I think would be right for you. With a little work I think you could be a real beauty."

April flowered under the tutelage of Flower. Of course the 'old' clothes Flower gave her didn't hurt either. All at once April was a beautiful young woman and other boys began to take notice of her. They clustered around her everywhere she went telling her how beautiful she was and begging her for a date. If she and Sam were out the boys clustered around her and she laughed and flirted with them while she ignored Sam. She danced with other boys more and more when she and Sam went clubbing. In short, April began to move into the realm of the Beautiful People leaving poor 'geeky' Sam to stand alone and watch her party. She began to treat Sam with contempt because he was still a 'geek' and dressed the part. Several times Sam warned her about the boys she was now spending time with. He told her they remembered her from school and were only interested in what they could get from her.

April became very angry with Sam one evening and said, "Sam these people are my friends. We have fun together and I like it. If you're going to find fault with all my friends maybe I should just stop seeing you." Sam stared at her for a moment as he felt his heart break. "April I can't control you and I don't own you. You are free to do what you want but I have to warn you that what you are doing is killing us. I don't want a woman who sleeps around and treats me like you are doing sometimes now. You have to make your choice. It's either these assholes or me."

Sam turned and walked away. He spent the rest of the evening sitting at their table watching April flirt and dance with the 'in' crowd. She did come back to their table and sit with him from time to time but she never stayed and even refused to dance the two times Sam asked her. She told him she was too tired and just needed to sit there and rest. There was one young man especially that worried Sam. He had been a total asshole in school and Sam felt he still was. Mark Stevens had gone to school with him and April. Mark had been captain of the football team and its star Quarterback. Sam could not understand why she would spend time with Mark because he had scorned her and their friends badly in high school. Many times he had spoken so harshly to April she had cried. Now, since she became desirable in their contemporaries eyes Mark was paying way too much attention to her in Sam's opinion. It seemed like she had forgotten how Mark had treated her in high school.

One evening at a dance April became very angry at Sam. He had just finished warning her once more about Mark. He had told her Mark was planning on making love with her and then giving her to his friends.

April looked at Sam and her face became extremely red. "Sam I can't believe you hate Mark so much you are telling lies about him. I've had it with you and your attempts to slander Mark. He's changed and is a really nice man now. He has invited us to a party at his house next weekend. I was going to go with you but now you can just go to hell. I'm going to Mark's party and you can just find something else to do next Saturday."

"April please don't go. I overheard what Mark is planning for you and I don't want you to be hurt. Please. I guess we're done but I still don't want you hurt and that's what's going to happen if you go out with Mark. I'm telling you April Mark said 'I'm gonna fuck that bitch like the low life she is. She was just trash in school and she is still trash. Do you see how she's trying to be one of us now? It pisses me off. She thinks she can change the way she dresses a little and we'll immediately be her best friends. Well, she is good looking enough to fuck now but all she'll ever be is a geek. Her parents work in the damn La-Z-Boy factory for God's sake. Where the hell does she get off thinking she's one of us? When I'm done with her if ya all play your cards right I'll see she fucks you too. I plant to nail that bitch the first time at the party."

"Sam how could you say something like that. Mark has been very nice to me since we got to know him better. I can't believe you would make up something like that about him. What has he done to you to make you hate him so much? Just go on and leave me alone. These people are my friends and if you can't say something nice about them then just get away from me."

Sam didn't say anything else that evening. He just sat at their table and watched as April made a fool of herself. She let Mike lead her to a group of the "beautiful people". He watched as the girls smiled and talked animatedly to April when she was in the group. When Mike led her to the dance floor and her back was turned one of them grimaced and rolled her eyes. Another stared at April's and Mark's back. She opened her mouth and stuck her finger inside miming gagging. The group giggled and turned back to a circle. They spoke quietly to each other occasionally looking at April then they would laugh once more. Sam felt sorrow for his friend but didn't know what else he could do to warn her.

Sam decided to try one more time to save April before he left the dance. He walked up behind Mark and April and stood trying to decide what to do. Mark saw him finally and said, "What do you want loser? Why don't you get the hell out of here before I have to fuck you up again like I did in school? April and I don't need you hanging around bothering us."

Sam stood looking down at the two. April didn't move for several moments. Mark whispered something in her ear and she giggled then turned to Sam and said, "Go on Sammie. I want to be with Mark for a while. I'll talk to you later."

Sam was shocked. He had seen this coming but he was hoping it wouldn't, that he had been wrong. He was worse than shocked he was hurt to the core. He thought April and he were a couple and had hoped what they had would be enough they wouldn't split over this. He had even been thinking about asking her to marry him. He wondered where this had come from, how April could be so blind to what was going on. Sam just turned and walked rapidly from the club. He drove home and spent the rest of the night in his room listening to music and thinking about what had gone on that evening.

Sam and April had a standing date every Friday and Saturday night. The next day was a Saturday so he arrived at April's home at his normal time. Truthfully he had forgotten she had told him not to come, that she planned on going to Mark's house and his party. Sam got to April's home just as she and Mark were walking toward Mark's car. Sam stood half way to the house and stared in shock. He finally remembered what April had told him but even seeing it with his own eyes he found it hard to believe April would actually go on a date with Mark. April looked at him defiantly then turned her head away and resumed her walk to Mark's car.

When Mark saw Sam he smirked at him and turned toward where he was standing. "What are you doing here asshole," he asked. "I thought I made it clear to you last night that you needed to stay away from my woman here. Now get your ass out of here before I get pissed."