A Dream of Empire Ch. 019

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Men of Solais," his booming voice echoed over the tables, "tonight we feast in honor of two glorious victories! Firstly, to the absolute and crushing victory over the Orcs at the Battle of Topaz, where my great friend Duke Johan led the heroic charge straight into the enemy ranks!"

The hall erupted in applause, and the Duke Johan, sitting two seats to the left of the King, briefly rose and bowed. Alanna glanced at Tanya, and found her eyes wide in frightful anticipation.

"Secondly, we feast in honor to the astonishing efforts of two adventuring Imperials, the sorceress Tanya Vittori and the Lord Talos of Evora. At the Battle of Alfred's Bridge, these two not only halted the advance of an entire army of Orcs on their lonesome, but also saved the village of Overton in the process! Tanya Vittori, as King and sovereign, I thank you," he graciously bowed. Alanna noticed the knight sitting next to Tanya nudge her arm, and she timidly rose from her seat to give an even timider wave as the hall cheered in her honor. She was back in her seat an instant later, blushing and shaking her head as the men around her leaned in to personally congratulate her.

"It's stories like Tanya's that make the Kingdom of Solais so great. We do not shy away from the glories of foreigners here, nor do we seek to exclude them! Even when we look all the way back to the founding of our great nation, Solaisians were always ones to appreciate diversity, and to shun segregation!"

"Hoo," hundreds agreed with a low grunt.

"Solais spat in the face of the Emperor, and refused to ratify his Concordat!"

"Hoo!"

"Solais rescued the elves of Cormina, and harbored them from their enemies!"

"Hoo!"

"And Solais will never turn inward! We are a nation of all kinds, for all kinds, and damn those who say otherwise!"

"Yeah!" the hall agreed with a roar of applause. Alanna couldn't help but join in, smiling and clapping for a minute before Alfred put his hand up; the hall instantly silenced.

"But tomorrow, my countrymen, our resolve will be tested once more. A new tribe of elves marches from the wildlands to the east, and their intentions are not yet clear to us. As King and sovereign, I hope for peace; I strive for reason and inclusion with these elves as I do all peoples. Yet, as Protector of the Realm, I must prepare for a scenario where peace is impossible."

The knights of the hall murmured to one another in the following silence, and the King continued on a moment later.

"Therefore, tonight, even though I'm well aware that your oaths to me have been fulfilled, I am asking each and every one of you to stay on, and ride east with me come the morn'. I've sent messengers to a dozen local holds requesting any assistance they can muster, and I've sent ravens to the mercenary companies of the coast to ride east with all haste. But we cannot wait for them. Solais is threatened now, and therefore I ask you all; will you help me protect our nation?"

"Hoo."

"Will you ride with me through rain and thunder, and meet any enemies who oppose us?"

"Hoo!"

"Will you men, the gallant men of Solais, defend our great nation once more?!"

"Hoo!"

"Then let's hear it, men! Who's with me?!"

"Yeaaah!!"

The knights of the hall rose from their chairs and gave the King a standing applause. Alanna rose as well; she couldn't help it, as infectious as Alfred's patriotism and chivalry was. She even had to wipe a tear from her eye as she applauded and smiled, feeling the burst of inspiration felt by five-hundred souls in her heart.

The knights of the hall found their seats when the King did a minute later. Solomon, one of the King's councilmen, leaned in to compliment him from across the table.

"Congratulations, sire," he dully praised. "I believe you've retained your army."

"Did you ever have any doubts, Solomon?" Alfred replied with a grin.

"Never, sire. My expectations of you are unreasonably high, yet you always manage to meet them," he droned on.

"Hah. Stop flattering me, Solomon, before I decide to stop taking your advice."

"Of course, sire," he nodded, showing a rare smirk.

The King, then Alanna, then everyone else was then served with the third course of the night, a small plate of assorted cheeses each. Alanna didn't recognize most of them, but quickly stuffed her face when she realized she had nothing to say. She felt horribly out of her element sitting beside a man so illustrious and respected. Everything she would have normally said just seemed so... mundane in comparison.

"So? How's the food treating you, Alanna?" Alfred asked of her. Food. She could talk about food.

"Ish great!" she instantly answered, forgetting to swallow her food. She gulped what was down in her mouth, wincing, and then added, "I've been surviving on salted jerky and crackers for weeks now. Tonight's been heavenly in comparison. Do you always eat so well, sire?"

"I could if I wanted to," he smiled. "My cooks oft prepare dishes of this splendor for my courtiers. But, on some days I believe that god-fearing men should survive on salted jerky and crackers, and so I oft abstain."

"How... how chivalrous," Alanna giggled, "um, sire."

"Alfred," he corrected again with a nod, "and I'm glad you're finding it to your liking. I can't wait to see your reaction to the dessert."

Dessert. Alanna could talk about dessert, too, when it came to it.

"I'll sing it's praises, I'm sure!" she beamed, getting a hearty chuckle from the man. That's it!

Alanna could never match the King in political discourse, sure, but no man could ever resist her bubbly personality when she got going. It was time for her to take the lead, and perhaps to test some limits as well...

"So, Alfred, I find myself curious; what does a chivalrous man do with his spare time, when he isn't running a country or leading an army?" the enchantress asked with many a compliment, giving a smile and a gentle swish of her blonde hair.

Alfred didn't skip a beat. "Well Alanna, I believe a chivalrous man would pray or quest in his spare time. As for me? My passion is sailing, and I partake whenever I get the chance."

Sailing! Thank you Talos, thank you!

"Sailing?" Alanna giggled. "How marvelous! I'm quite the experienced helmswoman myself," she greatly exaggerated. "I even had my own vessel back in Catriona; the Alessia. Just a small cog, but that's enough for me."

Alfred's eyes were suddenly ablaze with interest. "In that case, I shant allow you to leave my realm before you visit Solais. My favorite vessel, the Rapide, holds both the ten mile and the hundred mile speed records across Tardia, Santaria, Halloran, and Solais."

"Truly?!" Alanna replied with wide eyes. "That must be quite the vessel. And quite the expensive crew, as well."

Alfred chuckled, "it is indeed. Although, the crew works for free."

"For free?" Alanna repeated with raised brows. The King nodded across the table, towards Solomon.

"He and I race with pseudonyms in the months between harvest and seed."

"No!" Alanna replied in shock, glancing at Solomon before returning her contagious grin to the King. "I know we barely know each other, sire, but would you..." she bit her lip, "allow me to steer such a vessel? If only for a while?"

"Are you planning on visiting my capital, Alanna?" Alfred grinned.

"Sire," Solomon dryly interjected, "you know our rule of women on the Rapide. Or must I remind you again of the debacle of seventy-four?"

Alanna giggled. "Oh? The debacle of seventy-four?" she asked, flicking her teasing gaze between the two.

"Now look at what you've wrought, Solomon," the King sternly said. "Apologies, Alanna, but the debacle of seventy-four is a tale best left for wine and beside a fireplace, and certainly not here."

Alanna wouldn't press him now; she didn't have to. "But sire," she pouted, brushing a hand against the King's arm, "I was but a little girl in seventy-four. Surely you wouldn't punish me for another's action performed so long ago?"

"She's got a point, Solomon," the King mused.

"And I suppose it has been long enough to create an exception for our ruthless mage," Solomon monotonously replied.

"Gratitude," Alanna softly sang, before letting out an infectious giggle which brought Alfred to laughter and Solomon to a smile. A moment later she added, "so, how long have you two known each other?"

Alfred grinned, nodding to Solomon. "Why, since we were lads. Solomon was the son of one of my father's men, and so we met at the royal school if I'm not mistaken."

"Specifically in shared hatred of Aunt Gertrude's paddle-board, sire," Solomon dully expanded. The King let out a chuckle, glancing at Alanna who joined in.

"That's right! Aunt Gertrude's paddle-board. Ah, those were the days. Now you can't even paddle a lad lest his father's merchant company sue for damages."

"Fortune to us that you own every judge in the land, sire," Solomon briefly smirked, before losing his smile and turning his attention to Alanna. "But enough of us. From which College did you graduate, mage?"

Alanna smiled, politely folding her hands on her skirt. "The College of Catriona, milord, in the class of twelve-eighty."

"Only two years ago?" he unenthusiastically replied.

"But it's been quite the two years, let me tell you!" Alanna bubbly retorted. "In that time I've visited Imperia, Tardia, Santaria, the Borderlands, the Badlands to the... north," she corrected, "and been to Solais twice." She glanced at Alfred, who was grinning his approvals.

"She gets around, sire. And enchantment, is that all the magics you're familiar with?" Solomon asked, continuing his sudden interrogation. Alanna shrugged, giggling.

"I've been known to dabble in other schools, milord. Restoration, transmutation, abjuration; you give me a spell, and I can learn it!" she greatly exaggerated again. Solomon nodded twice, glancing at Alfred.

"I see. And what am I thinking of now?" Solomon droned. Alanna tilted her head.

"Why, you're wondering if my skills of enchantment are any good. Now you're thinking of a purple flame under a night sky. The night sky has turned to day, and the flame is now an adorable puppy, frolicking in the weeds. Aw! Is that your puppy, milord?!" she squealed.

"It was. Satisfactory, Alanna," Solomon said, leaning back in his chair and crossing his arms.

"Satisfactory?" she teased. "Why, I could have you naked and dancing on the table in a minute."

"An idea that no one would find pleasurable unless it were the opposite, I assure you."

Alanna smiled, deciding to remain silent. The King stepped in to defend her.

"Silence, Solomon. Cease your assault on my guest of honor."

"Of course, sire."

Alfred raised a hand, getting the attention of a nearby server. "Bring my lady the dessert, if you would," he said much to Alanna's delight. The servant bowed, and instantly walked off. Alanna leaned in to him.

"Sire, it seems you know just the path to my heart," she teased.

"It's no trouble, Alanna. I enjoy silencing Solomon at every opportunity," Alfred coyly replied.

"I meant the dessert!" she giggled, brushing her hand against him once more. Alanna's enthusiasm soon tripled when her plate of cheese was taken away and replaced with another; one bearing a slice of lemon cake, and a hefty bar of... chocolate. A cup of coffee was then placed beside it.

"Cream with your coffee, my lady?" the servant asked.

"Much! Gratitude," she enthusiastically nodded. Alanna had only tried Talos' coffee once, and had found it most bitter and unpleasant. Her drink was subsequently flooded with a stream of rich white, clouding it. The King spoke when the servant stepped away with a bow.

"Lemon cake from a locally-famous baker, coffee from Tor Cormina, and the finest chocolate from Santaria. The last is a gift specifically for you," he explained. Alanna shook her head, her eyes wide with delight. She hadn't had sweets in far too long.

"My poor waist," she giggled instead, running her hands down her sides. "Pardon me while I ignore you for a time, sire."

"I'd expect nothing less," Alfred replied with a grin. He then held up a hand when he was offered a plate of dessert, rejecting it, and Alanna stayed true to her word; she kept her attentions fixated on the desserts in front of her, munching on sweet after sweet between sips of coffee, all the while the King looked on her with a satisfied smile.

But, like all good things, the desserts on Alanna's plate soon disappeared in time.

"Care for seconds, Alanna?" the King softly asked.

"No, thank you, sire. Then I truly would have to watch my figure," the enchantress coyly replied. She was fishing for compliments of course, but didn't receive any from the King.

"All the better, I suppose. I wanted to invite you privately to my quarters, so we could continue our discussions on the... oh, the Jade Moon, for starters. If that is acceptable to you?"

His quarters? Privately? Perhaps she had made quite the impression on the King, for him to offer such a thing after only a single meal. Or, perhaps it had been his plan all along, seated where she was at the table. Perhaps the King Alfred was already infatuated with her, as most men were, and Alanna just wasn't aware of it due to his ward.

More importantly, why couldn't she refuse him?

"Of course, sire," she softly answered through reddened cheeks. "I'd be honored to."

Alanna could feel herself shaking as she rose from her chair, and as the King offered an arm for her. She glanced at Tanya down the table, and found her glaring at her in reply. This was wrong. Alanna knew that. She threaded her hand through the King's offered arm anyway, and they proceeded towards the West tower nevertheless.

"So, how did you find supper?" he asked her as they casually made their way betwixt knights and lords.

"W-well, Alfred. And I was equally intrigued by the seat bestowed unto me; I wasn't aware I deserved such a place," she sheepishly answered. Alfred chuckled.

"I'm glad you appreciated it, however fleeting an offer it may be. My right hand is normally reserved for my wife, you see. But, you know what they say; when the Queen's away...?"

Kings will play. "R-right! Good one, sire," Alanna stammered. She desperately scoured for another avenue of conversation. "Your speech! It was truly inspirational. I'd never heard one better."

"Gratitude, Alanna. Although, perhaps I was only putting on a good show to impress the one beside me."

Oh gods. She bit the inside of her lip, contemplating a polite method of excusing herself from any dreaded post-supper activity. Her free hand found it's way to her skirt, and absentmindedly straightened it.

"I must say, it was quite unexpected to see you wearing such attire," the King added a minute later when Alanna hadn't replied. "Do you always dress so luridly?"

Lurid?! He thinks me a whore! "N-no, not at all. I only..." think! "... wished to make a good impression on you, Alfred."

"Ah," the King reticently replied as they arrived at the top of the staircase. he opened the door to his chambers, then finally released Alanna's arm to walk inside. She timidly stepped in behind him, shutting the door.

Alanna took a deep breath, then took in another as she scanned the opulent bedchamber before her. She had to stop this.

"I'm sorry, Alfred!" she exclaimed. "I-I-I cannot do this! I'm sworn to Talos, a-and I'm sorry if I led you on this night, and I'm sorry that..." she looked down towards her quivering hands, clutching her short red skirt. "Oh gods. I'm sorry. I know what this looks like but-but sire, this wasn't my intent."

"Oh? Do you always put on such a performance, Alanna?" the King smirked, placing a hand on the red velvet couch beside him.

"No, no! Sire! I-I don't know what came over me," she exhaled. "At first I thought I had to appease you, and make a good impression, b-but I went overboard, I know that now, and I never intended to... to..."

The enchantress shook her head, finally noticing the King's calm demeanor and his grin.

"You're... you're teasing me," she exhaled in relief.

"I am. Come. Sit with me," the King sternly offered, finding a seat on the couch himself. Alanna's legs, originally stiff as boards, finally loosened up; she trudged on over towards the couch, sitting one cushion away from him.

"I didn't invite you here to bed you, Alanna, nor did I offer you a seat of honor to court you. I desired to get to know you. I wanted to understand you, outside of a council chamber or a battlefield," Alfred explained.

"Oh!" Alanna breathlessly replied. She anxiously smoothed out her dress, then crossed her ankles. "And... did you learn anything?"

"Enough to know that my original assumptions about you were well-founded. You're enthusiastic about all things, you're talented, you're incredibly approachable..." Alfred softly cleared his throat, maintaining an intimidating eye-contact, "but you're also lost."

"Lost, Alfred?"

"Indeed. Like most your age, assuming there's no noble station or ancestral trade to keep you in check. Why, you said it yourself, when you offhandedly suggested you'd soon live in Tardia. I know your heart wasn't in it. In fact, you likely haven't a clue what the next week will hold, and your lack of foresight doesn't bother you in the slightest. Because you've grown accustomed to drifting, Alanna. Being lost in the sea of life is your normal."

"It... wasn't always like that, Alfred. I knew what I was doing back home," Alanna murmured.

"Oh? And that was?"

She smiled. "I helped people. I used my magics to assist those in need; all those who weren't gifted with the spark by happenchance. And I have a son, too, a little boy who's so bright and fortunate that I know he'll grow up great. Because... well," she giggled, "I will force him to be. Even if he hates me for it."

Alfred smiled. "Of course you will. I think the same of mine, as do all good parents I'm sure. Alanna, I invited you up here to offer you a proposal; the opportunity to use your great talents rather than let them rot, and an end to a life that has recently been led astray. I want you to be my Court Sorceress."

Alanna's eyes widened in shock. She took in a deep breath, but otherwise couldn't find the words to reply as the King laid a hand on her shoulder.

"Court... Sorceress?" she eventually mustered. "Me?"

"You," Alfred concurred. "With all the benefits and responsibilities that the position carries with it. Not only would you bring in pay more-than-suitable enough to provide a privileged life for your child, you'll also have access to the royal nursery and school as well; a place for your child to be looked after, and even educated when the time comes. Not to mention fourteen hot meals a week in my hall; most with dessert, even."

"A-and... what does a Court Sorceress do, exactly?" Alanna squeaked.

"She joins me in court three days a week, joins my High Council during weekly and summoned meetings, and, if needed, travels with me on campaign. She's a source of knowledge for me and my council on all things mystical, and provides insights spawned from her ability to read others. She judges the accused based on the facts and not politics, she flushes out lies when she sees them, and, ultimately, she'll learn to drive all arguments to be in my favor. I'd also like to add that I'd rather she dress modestly, unlike," Alfred paused, motioning towards Alanna's skirt, "this, and know that I would never ask her to do something that she's uncomfortable with. Her... youthful beauty gracing my hall is merely an additional benefit of bringing her on. Not the deciding factor."