A Dream of Empire Ch. 023

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Talos cantered up alongside Emmanuel, giving Alanna her space. "So, Em; hear anything of relevance while you were in the Inquisition's service?"

"In their fetters, you mean?" the bard shot back with a grin. "Oh, not much of import, I'm afraid. All those pitiful fools spoke of was of trials and tribulations. Let's see..." Emmanuel placed a hand on his chin to better his recollection. "They mentioned another handful of attacks by the elves of Tor Ryala. The Fontaines rebelled once again, as it was just about time to do. A raid on Farpoint by the Reavers of Dro... Dro-something. The elves of Remilla returned from the east. A botched attempt on the Duke of Moradria. All blamed solely on you, it seems! And the Emerald Moon, naturally."

"Naturally. What's this about the Remillans, Em?" Talos asked.

"They... returned? Much like Cass' elves, if I heard you correctly."

Tanya decided to shut her book, finding the conversation far more interesting than reading Compassio for the umpteenth time. "That's impossible, Em," Talos sternly replied. "The Remillans were slain to a child when their city fell. I read a history about it."

Emmanuel shrugged. "Well I haven't, so I daren't say one way or the other. But the witches spoke with quite the confidence and concern, I can tell you that much, and of how the elves had captured this-or-that fortress in the east. It did not sound like a full-on war per say, but it didn't sound like a peaceful exchange, either."

"Hm. Tanya?" Talos said.

"It's possible I suppose," she quickly replied, "although, all I've read said the same... yet, that cannot be completely true. What of Faranya?"

"Mm. And her brothers. And her..." Talos rolled his head, "yeah. Well, hopefully it doesn't come to war. If the Remillans have truly returned, they could gather all the tribes of Elvendom to join their cause if they so chose."

"But how could that be true?" Emmanuel inquired.

"Politics, Em. The King of Tor Remilla had been the High King of all elves since before the Second Age. You know, more than three-thousand years ago? And somewhere between then and now, the other Kingdoms were made to believe that the reign of Remilla would last forever, and so the High Crown never passed to another realm, even when their capital was razed to nothing. So, if Remilla returns, so does the singular voice of an entire race; and all those thousands could be then driven to single purpose. And it's no secret that they want to retake the lands of the Empire from us 'lesser-folk'."

"Including Cass," Tanya murmured.

"Yeah," Talos sighed. "Including Cass. Now, whether or not she still believes in all of that, I do not-"

"Hold on, Talos! Are you then saying that you're leading us into enemy lands?! That our lives could be made forfeit so simply by their hands?!" Emmanuel worriedly interjected.

"She's the one who extended the olive branch. 'Tell him he is always welcome to come see me,' she said. Now, I'm hoping Faranya's still with her, to help talk some sense if nothing else. Though, I'd imagine she'd join her people if she caught wind of their return from exile... which might be better in terms of the bigger painting. Faranya had no lust for war, and she was, supposedly, the crown-princess. Anyway, we've a teleporter with us if things go south," Talos said, squeezing Tanya's waist, "and I'm all out of other options, besides living out my days in the wilds."

"Indeed. We'll wish for peace, and pray that the gods are listening," Tanya concurred with a nod and a smile. Talos pinched her waist.

-=-=-

It seemed the weather made way for them as they journeyed through the plains that day; the rainclouds before them parted without ask, and a calm breeze brushed against their backs no matter which way they turned. Normally, Tanya wouldn't have thought anything of it, had they been venturing towards anyone but Casiama. But since they were, she now thought it intentional. They were being watched, nay, looked after by a goddess who wished no discomfort on them. Or maybe she was looking too much into it.

"Alanna, get behind me. Elves up ahead," Talos calmly spoke, lifting Tanya from her reverie. She squinted and found three specks far afield, though she could not make out any details. They rode towards them.

The elves weren't as perceptive as Talos, which was no simple feat considering their advanced hearing. They only turned their way when they heard the clomping of horse hooves, after which the two males of the group raised their spears at them. Talos himself raised an opened hand.

"Hail, friends. No need for the bearing of spears today. We're servants of Kianra, as I'm sure you too must be."

One of the elves lowered their weapon, then did the other. "Indeed, rider. Hail to you and yours. Praise to the goddess," the elf reverently replied.

Talos nodded, then rolled his head towards the elf's comrades. "Praise to her. The looks on your wife and son appear troubled, elf. What ails them?"

"Only shock, I am sure," he curtly answered, showing neither smile nor frown. Talos wasn't convinced.

"There's no need to hide from me, friend. I only wish to assist you, if it's in my power to do so."

The elf exhaled through his nose, then glanced towards his wife. She nodded to him, ever-so-subtly.

"Very well. I apologize for my deception, rider. My family and I are traveling to the Cinder Vale, to join with the goddess in building a new home there. But this morning, as we were packing camp for the day, our daughter went missing as she was exploring a mighty copse, an activity she always loved to do. We looked for ages, but could not find a sign of her. It was as if she had disappeared into the fog itself. We now plan on finding assistance in the Cinder Vale and returning with a larger party, or perhaps a skilled tracker."

Talos glanced skyward, squinting at the sun, then hopped from the saddle without delay. His reply was hurried yet purposeful, and his gaze bounced around the group as he spouted his sudden orders.

"Damn it, losing daylight. The plan's no good, elf; she needs to be found now. Alanna, read him. Elf, describe the place your daughter was lost, and then the journey from there to here. Em, get off my horse."

Talos strode towards his own horse as Emmanuel quickly jumped from the saddle, and as a stunned elf did his best to describe the route they'd taken since morn'. Copses of trees, rushing streams, how many hours it'd been on foot, how close they'd been to the shore. It wasn't a perfect description, but the point was to read the location on their mind rather than hear it on their words.

"Got it?" Alanna huffed, pushing the elf's thoughts Talos' way.

"Yeah. Camp around here so I know where to find you. Tanya, protect my son. Protect these people," Talos sternly ordered, anticipating Tanya's offer to join him on the hunt.

She instead nodded, and decided to remain silent as Talos quickly mounted his own horse and unstrapped the saddlebags attached. The visage he now wore as he cantered Spirit about was one Tanya recognized in full; he was focused. He'd transformed into an inexorable machine of good in an instant, taking the woes of a complete stranger onto his shoulders without ask of recompense.

"Ya, Spirit!" Talos roared, urging his horse to a gallop with a sharp kick to the flanks.

The party he'd left behind watched on him in silence as he hastily rode away. It would have been a confusing sight to anyone that hadn't known him, and so Tanya took it on herself to explain the situation to the elves.

"Don't you worry; if your daughter remains on Mundus, that man will find her. He's the closest soul to Kianra there is, and her most favored possession. Come, we'll camp behind that hill for the night. You're most welcome to our food and drink, if it pleases you," the sorceress-in-black offered with the warmest smile.

-=-=-

Evening came and went without trouble. Alanna, Tanya, and Emmanuel ate a hearty supper with the elves, before both parties decided to split from each other for conversation and rest. The sorceresses humored the bard for a time. They listened to his songs and shared stories of their lives, things campfires always inspired of those who sat around them.

But Tanya couldn't endure Emmanuel's boisterous nature for more than an hour, and so she retired to her magically-conjured tent to read a book instead. Guardians of the Deepwood - a riveting tale of a man who had found himself lost in a forest for years, until he supposedly romanced and bedded the comely queen of those lands. A guilty pleasure of a read, really, not that Tanya would ever admit as much.

After an hour of vicarious, page-flipping distraction, Alanna joined her in the tent, entering with an exaggerated moan. "Well, Emmanuel's finally resting. Word of advice; don't ever let him write a song about you." Tanya closed her book and shot up from her back, to sit at the edge of the bed.

"Knowing him, I'm sure he already has," she giggled. "'The Pale Mistress'? Or perhaps 'The Coldest Heart'?"

"Hm! Well, as long as the gist of it isn't about your breasts or thighs, it couldn't possibly be worse than mine."

"He didn't! That scoundrel," Tanya scowled. Alanna shrugged as she made her way towards the bed, but not before giving her babe's tummy a tickle. She plopped down beside Tanya with a groan, then laid her head on her shoulder.

"Talos hasn't found his quarry just yet. But he's following a set of fresh prints, leading away from here," the enchantress worriedly explained.

"He'll be fine, Alanna," Tanya reassured her with an arm wrapped over her shoulders. Talos had apparently found some footprints too large for an elven maid to produce near the location she had gone missing. He was now assuming the worst.

"I know, I know. Honestly, I'm just kind of glad that I can't read him from inside your tent. Otherwise, that's all I'd do," Alanna frowned. "Why is that, anyway? Is it warded?"

"Hum... not quite... are you familiar with dimensional transcendence? Logarithmic transplantation?"

"Can't say that I am," Alanna sighed, leaning against Tanya further. "And do not try to explain it. I'm pooped."

"Yes. It's been a long day, hasn't it? From porting in only to find Talos beset, to packing up our things, to the long ride, to... this rubbish..."

"Mm," Alanna mumbled. The girls rested against one another for a time, while Alanna pet Tanya's hair.

"Forgive me for asking, Alanna, but are you feeling alright? Jealous? Bitter?"

"Um... where'd that come from?" she hesitated. Tanya turned her way.

"You've been quiet all day... and, well, Talos kind of spilled the milk earlier."

Alanna moaned. "If you're referring to my jealously over you-"

"Doesn't have to be about me."

"-but if you are, know that it disappears when Talos isn't around. And that I love you, and hate myself for feeling that way."

Tanya held out her hands, silently asking for Alanna to take them. She did. "And I love you," Tanya truthfully replied. "And if there's anything I can do... any little action I can take to help reassure you, please ask it of me. Are you upset? From today's events?"

Alanna swayed her head side-to-side. "A little. A lot. Um..."

"You... wanna talk about it? I love listening to you."

More head swaying. More indecision. Alanna eventually clicked her tongue, deciding to lay it all out on the table. "I hate that he didn't ask me. You know, to come here. I'd understand if he, y'know, checked with me, but I was under the castle's ward at the time. So, rather than asking me of my opinion or reading me, he thought for the both of us. And sure, it's likely the right decision, but shouldn't I still have a say?"

"You should... in most things," Tanya hesitantly nodded. "Personally, I don't believe this was one of those times. Look; your safety, and that of your son, was of paramount import once Talos had a moment to think. He's only doing what he believes is best for you."

"And for himself," Alanna murmured as her gaze fell to the floor.

"Yes. For all of us," Tanya softly replied. "Are you worried we're on a trajectory with Cass?"

"No! Well... yes. Maybe a little."

"I am too," Tanya admitted with a squeeze of her hands. "But I tell myself that he's drawn to her, like a moth is to flame - just as I'm drawn to him in the same manner. As we both are. What would you have done? Ask to remain in Solais?"

"No, um... I mean, I am a bit remorseful, since I was just coming into my own there, but he's in the right. We needed to flee," Alanna nodded. "You know, it's surprising to hear that you're worried too."

"Why's that?"

"Wasn't it your idea to see her?" Alanna asked. "Besides, what've you to worry about? He's mad about you. I'm the one he's dumped off once already because of her."

"Alanna," Tanya said with another squeeze, "we're in the same boat, you know. We're both mortal lovers betwixt two gods. The only difference is, you have a life binding the two of you. I'll have to instead rely on his bizarre fascination with me, and hope that it matters in the end."

"Stop it. You're adorable, Tatiana," Alanna smiled. "And I'm glad to share your boat."

"Likewise," Tanya grinned. Alanna leaned into her, pecking her on the lips.

"You know, we should really talk more often. Why don't we?" she asked.

"His cock gets in the way, for one," Tanya giggled, receiving a laugh in turn. "But, the cold truth is, it's likely something to do with our latent competitive nature... and how simple it is to ignore one another when convenient, only to seek solace in him instead. It's why we're jealous of one another, after all."

"Gods. You've really no filter, do you?"

"Not between those I love."

"Hm," Alanna blushed. "Well, how would you fix it? That... latent competitiveness?" Alanna asked of her. Tanya sighed.

"I don't know. Try to find more time to ourselves, for one. Though, that's unlikely. I... had a daydream today that may help. But you'll think I'm crazy."

"I already think you're crazy," Alanna teased.

Tanya attempted a nibble at Alanna's nose, a measure rebuked by quick reflexes on Alanna's part. "I was reading Compassio again on the journey here... you know, all those examples at the end? And I realized something; Talos doesn't take full advantage of the capabilities of your gift. So, I dreamt. Dreamt of what I'd do differently, if, um, I-I found an enchantress of my own to share minds with."

Tanya suddenly hid her eyes from Alanna's gaze, unable to bear the shame.

"Well, go on! Don't stop there," Alanna warmly replied. Tanya shook her head.

"I-It's nothing. Um-"

"Tanya..."

"Nuh! It's nothing!"

"Oh no it is not! Tanya, if you're gonna be on my boat, you gotta tell me. Come on!" Alanna exclaimed, her eyes wide with excitement and curiosity.

"Okay! F-fine! So there was this story right, where Vanya the Illusionist was performing before the King of Mschuleft, but she'd forgotten a certain spell. Well, before she'd even realized it, her partner had not only found the appropriate spell tome, but learnt it before it was needed. And, well, this allowed Vanya to know it in turn. Just think, they were so connected to one another that even background cycles were accounted for, simply because they were watching one another's backs."

"That sounds really nice," Alanna smiled.

"A-and I was hoping - not hoping! - wondering, if you were feeling any nibble of bitterness, due to the fact that Talos is only applying minimal effort. And, um... if you were wondering what a sorceress could do in his stead."

"Well, I certainly am now. Let's speak hypotheticals. Boom, we're bound. What're we doing?"

"See, that's just it. I could be bettering the both of us with tomes whilst you interact with others, o-or the other way around. We could ping ideas off of one another at all times, massage one another's minds so they never grow soft, build one another in the background without needing to focus on it! And, you know the best part?! Sorceresses share mental libraries, Alanna. You would know all that I know, and I would know all that you know! Isn't that wild?!"

"It is! You would... do all of that?"

"Of course! Who wouldn't take advantage of such a boon?!" Tanya exclaimed, wide eyes fixed to wide eyes. But the girls knew the answer to that question, and their smiles waned a bit.

Alanna cleared her throat. "I could do our hair while you transmute our clothes."

"Mhm. And I could examine someone in detail whilst you converse with them," Tanya mused.

"Or, we could own that verbal exchange while reading everyone around us!"

"Sure! And, just think about the day-to-day; one of us could do chores without thinking about it, all while the other enjoys simple pleasures for the both of us."

"Like shopping while we do the laundry!" Alanna squeaked.

"Yes! Or reading while we clean! And, we could port anywhere either of us has been."

"Hells, we could port anywhere anyone's been!" Alanna exclaimed, getting a gasp out of Tanya.

"That's superb! We could!"

Both girls were now shaking with excitement. "I'd know transmutation, illusions, heck, all that smart stuff!" Alanna realized.

"And I wouldn't be such a mess in front of strangers!" Tanya giddily replied.

"Think of all the strings we could touch at once!"

"Think of our shared pools of will!"

"Omigosh! And we could drive Talos mad with desire," Alanna excitedly added as she bounced on the bed.

"Well! We already kinda... um... Alanna?" Tanya moaned, biting her lip.

"I know. You're incredibly turned on right now, aren't you?"

"Uh huh," Tanya nodded as she rubbed her thighs together.

"Me too!"

And so Tanya experienced lust, followed by confusion, followed by guilt, and lastly heartbreak, all in the span of two seconds. She turned away from Alanna. "So, um, yeah. That's what I'd do if I found an enchantress."

"W-wait on!" Alanna hurriedly replied, shoving her shoulder. "You can't just spring all of that on me and say you want another enchantress!"

"You're already bound, Alanna," Tanya groaned.

"But it's reversible! I can reverse it! You said it yourself, Talos only applies minimal effort!"

"Yes, and what happens when you miss him?"

"Buh..." the enchantress pouted, "but I mean, we could still read him. He knew how to exchange telepathically before this," she replied, redoubling her efforts. Tanya placed a hand on her chin.

"That's true... in fact, you'd hardly lose a thing at all. And, you know, such capability could make us-"

"Supreme sorceresses!" Alanna blurted out with raised arms.

"Well, arch-sorceresses, but yes," Tanya corrected with a grin. "Supremely powerful. There's just one problem."

"What?! What problem?!" Alanna worriedly asked.

"The jealousy. There's no guarantee that it wouldn't destroy us, Alanna. Tear us up from within. Rip us to shreds like old papyrus."

Alanna gripped Tanya's shoulders, her wide eyes boring into hers. "But it wouldn't! Firstly - actually, fuck firstly - Tanya, how could we be jealous when we are each other? Do you really think we'd bludgeon ourselves for thinking our own thoughts?"

"Alanna, a bit of hyperbole isn't going to-"

"It isn't hyperbole! It's really, actually like that. If you, y'know, put in the effort. Talos doesn't, I see that now, but you and I... you and I, Tatiana..."

"I know. I want it. Gods, how I want it," Tanya admitted. "But it feels like we're cheating him, Alanna. We're missing his input here."