A Letter to My Father

Story Info
A Father's Day letter to my Dad.
782 words
4.58
9.3k
8
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
rnebular
rnebular
832 Followers

I wrote this actual letter to my real-life father, and sent it to him for a joint birthday/Father's Day present. Of course, he got a card too...

There are times in our lives when I feel like we humans don't stop to appreciate the little details around us. I was working in the yard with my son the other day, preparing our back yard for the summer, when it dawned on me. This moment, this sliver in time, is extremely precious. I can't keep him this age forever, and years from now when he is older and out of the house, all I will have is the memory of his smile. That memory is one of many that I cherish. I hope that my own dad feels the same.

As I have matured into adulthood, I realized that I didn't really KNOW my dad. I mean, I knew everything that he and my mom had told me about their lives, but for the most part, I didn't know what made him tick. What sorts of things does he do for fun? What was his childhood like? What was it like growing up in a 'Baby Boomer' household? Who are his heroes? All questions that I am just now starting to ask. The more in-depth version of him that I am now learning about fascinates me. I plan to continue my new and expanded relationship with him, and encourage everyone to try it. Get to know the family members that you love better. Hopefully you can find out more about them, before it's too late...

*****

A Letter to My Father

Dad,

There never seems to be the right time. I am terrible with picking up the phone and calling you, but you should never doubt that I love you. You have been, and continue to be, one of the largest influences of my life. You were strong when I was growing up. You and Mom were always there for me, and I know that while I cannot ever repay you, I can at least show you that it meant a lot to me.

As I grew up, there were so many things that I just didn't understand. Things like the amount of time you spent with us kids to work on pinewood derby cars, or volunteering your time to help our Little League team as a coach. Raising two boys couldn't have been easy. Now that I have one of my own, the lightbulb slowly gets brighter.

As we got older, you had to deal with all the trouble we got into. I remember being ashamed whenever I did, more so because I had let you and Mom down, than anything. I am sure my kids will return that to me in spades, as they get older.

In tough times, you worked out of our garage, pulling apart old wooden pallets, fixing them to make a few extra bucks. At the time, you were my hero, and that was all that mattered. Because of all your hard work, I feel that it helped shape me to be the man that I am today. Hopefully this is a lesson that I too can pass on to my children.

What I cherish most is the lessons that you taught me without even trying to. You taught me how to be a great dad. You taught me that no matter what happened, your kids should be the achievement you are most proud of, and I am. You showed me to be tough, yet fair. I hope that I can be half the dad you are to my kids.

Life hasn't always been easy for you. I'm starting to understand, now more than ever. If I ever caused you pain, or disappointed you, I'm sorry. When we talk, I feel the pride in your voice, as I too feel proud to call you my Dad. When I think about the trials of your life, I want to continue the conversations we've only started to have, as adults. I want to continue to get to know you, as a person. I hope that you feel the same.

I will always try to remember to call, but if I forget, or we get cut short because my kids choose that moment to ask for more money, just know that I want to talk to you. I want you in my life. In OUR lives.

Until we see each other again.

Love,

Your son

*****

For all the other Dad's out there, remember to thank YOUR father as well, and remember that you are your children's hero. Always act like it, and remember that tomorrow is never a promise.

rnebular
rnebular
832 Followers