A Little Night Music Ch. 18

Story Info
Helen catches up on the real world, Troy tries to help.
2.9k words
4.75
7.7k
1
0

Part 18 of the 22 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 04/20/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Storm the Master Marathon, I'll fly through.
By flash and thunderfire, I'll survive.
(I'll survive, I'll survive, I'll survive, I'll survive.)
Then I'll defy the Laws of Nature and come out alive!
Then I'll get you!"
-Queen, "The Seven Seas of Rhye"

By noon, the media was reporting that Contessa Helena de San Finzione's condition had changed from "Serious" to "Fair." The donor liver had gone on to someone who needed it, and she was expected to recover in time. The man who'd received the organ, which had been on standby in case she'd needed it, made local newspapers as "The Man with A Liver Fit For A Contessa."

Images played of the Candlelight Vigil outside the hospital the night before. Followed by video of Contessa Maria starting to address the nation before hearing of the bomb and telling them that she had better things to do than address them.

Helena smiled at her and turned off the television, her only company now that she'd sent Julie Equals back to the castle. The morphine was still flowing through her system, but she was lucid now, which she needed to be for this meeting. The two Ultimados standing guard outside her door saluted Generalissimo Hernando Ramirez; coming down the hall with the Prefect of Police and the Minister of Intelligence. Ramirez returned the salute and instructed them to guard the end of the hall for the moment.

She stuffed Propappou's smoking jacket under the blanket before they entered. Ramirez asked how Helena was feeling.

"Doped up enough to enjoy daytime TV, but not so much that we can't talk now."

Once the door closed behind them, the Minister of Intelligence took a device from his pocket and walked around the room, checking it. He declared the room free of listening devices or cameras, and La Contessa nodded.

The three men gave their reports. Ramirez shared the information that Allaine had gathered as well. Helena took it all in, sharing her own thoughts; omitting that they'd come to her in what she was choosing to call "a dream," for the moment.

"Your friend is pretty astute, Ramirez. Whoever is behind all of this is throwing us a bone here. We have no choice but to follow his bread crumb trail; he knows we can't and won't stop looking for him. With the 'Jimenez was a crazy stalker' story, we get the media off our backs while we do it."

"So, we go with the lie?" asked the Prefect.

"It's that," Helena responded. "Or talk to cameras about what's taking so long on 'Day 178 of The Hunt for The Real Mastermind.'"

The Prefect nodded.

"I shall have my men smash up some alarm clocks, borrow some demo charges from SWAT. That should be enough to sell the bomb story."

"I like your anti-science literature idea, too, Ramirez," Helena mused. "Ooh! Make it Anti-Vaxxers! Fucking smug pricks, endangering children." La Contessa composed herself. "Now, I'm afraid the other matters we have to discuss are above your clearance, Martin. I'll leave you to your evidence-planting."

The Prefect saluted and left. As a precaution, the Minister swept the room again.

"Now," La Contessa said, turning to Ramirez. "Miguel and his people are all right?"

"Si, Contessa. They had retreated to a safe distance before the explosion."

"That's a relief. As soon as they're able to, I need them to get back to the project. It's more important now than ever that we know the truth about Springheel."

"What about the Morgan angle," the Minister of Intelligence asked. "Should we have the wife and children detained?"

"No," Helen replied. "When I can travel, I'd like a word with them. Put them under discreet protective surveillance, though. This guy plays with innocent lives. And he thinks he's clever. If we move too quickly, he might get spooked and burn the trail, and them with it. Going with his cover story will make it seem like we're admitting he's too clever for us. It'll buy us some time while he gloats, or whacks off, or composes his taunting letter, or whatever he'll do to celebrate. I certainly can't do anything overt until my friends leave."

"If Springheel means this much to him, he will certainly try again." Ramirez commented.

"Yes, this won't be the end of it," Helena asserted. "He attacked me to prevent me from looking into Springheel. To kill me before I consulted experts about it. The attack on the Ministry afterwards means one of two things: Either he knows it's NOT real and didn't want them finding out, or he knows it IS real and didn't want them finding out. If he didn't intend to kill me, he certainly intended to pique my interest. In that, he has succeeded."

* * *

Princess Susan of Bailey sang out another cry of glory for Good Sir Knight Troilus as he thrust into her again and again, demonstrating the same savage ferocity with which he'd slain the fearsome dragon Chadwick. Again, and again, she sang his praises as she took every last inch of his lance into her weeping pool of gratitude.

Princess Mesmera lay sleeping beside them, too tired from her long night's visit to the Plague Center to see the Evil Queen to join in their revelry. But she most lasciviously gave her good blessing to their sport before retiring, so Good Sir Troilus and Princess Susan carried on, soft mewlings coming from Princess Mesmera's lips as she watched them and made movements beneath her royal blankets until sleep came for her.

Princess Susan cried out in triumphant joy once more as her Good Sir Knight's shaft found its target yet again, and an explosion of glory was shared by both. As they collapsed onto the bed, there came a knocking at the chamber. Covering themselves in the royal blankets, Sir Troilus bid the entrant welcome.

Jeanne, the servant girl, brought in Princess Susan's washing from the night before. She gazed upon Princess Susan, Sir Troilus, and the slumbering Princess Mesmera in the bed for a moment.

"Quel Français," the servant girl softly said with a smile. She said other words, but neither Princess Susan nor Sir Troilus knew the language of the Franks; and Princess Mesmera was in deep slumber. However, they knew the names of Contessa Maria and Good Sir Stavro, and since the Frankish word for "brunch" was also "brunch," they deduced her meaning and thanked her.

She took her leave as Sir Troilus held his fair lady and stroked her hair for a while. Reality itself slowly shifted, until Susan Bailey was playing with Troy Equals' hair in response.

"Yeah," she said to him softly, remembering that Julie Equals was sleeping next to them. "Better in the morning."

Memories came to both of them. Things Julie had told them before settling in to watch and finger herself to sleep, but that they could wait until they were done to remember: That Helen was awake and that Troy may have a fight getting Propappou's smoking jacket back from her. She'd been scheduling a meeting with the Generalissimo and some people when she finally kicked Julie out of the room, but was probably up to a visitor afterwards. Julie also relayed the message to Susan, asking that she stay by Maria until Helen came home from the hospital. Susan agreed without hesitation.

Since Julie had gotten to bed sometime within the past hour, they decided to let her sleep, showered, and got changed. Susan only had three outfits with her. She'd worn the blue dress when she arrived at the castle, and that only left her a clubbing dress, jeans, and a t-shirt; none of which said "guest of The Countess" to her. Troy suggested the blue dress for brunch.

"If Maria can spare you for a couple hours," he told Susan as he put on his school clothes, making him look, except for missing the glasses and pens in his pocket, like an accountant about to grab his briefcase and kiss her, calling her 'honey' on his way out the door to his 1950s sitcom office, where they just manufactured 'Business.' "I can take you to the Marketplace. Couple big name clothing stores; we might regret not taking Helen up on the ten grand."

That thought made Susan pause. She plopped down on the bed, remembered that Julie was still sleeping, and saw that her part of the bed hadn't moved at all. The thought "Just like those commercials with the bowling ball and the wineglass..." threatened to take her head over before she remembered what had been weighing on her since she realized it on the plane here.

"Troy," Susan asked plaintively. "When I signed that thing for the passport, I became one of Helen's subjects, didn't I? Like, do I have to call her 'La Contessa' now or get thrown in her dungeon?"

Troy leaned forward and gave her a little kiss on the tip of her nose.

"She's closed the dungeons; I know better than to ask why. And you're still an American; you've got dual-citizenship now. She can give you orders, but you can refuse them. Plus, I get to do all-new tax stuff for you."

Susan smiled a little. Patriotism wasn't a big thing for her, unless it meant Helen couldn't order her around.

"Julie's too tired for you to start talking finance, and we shouldn't keep Maria waiting. But I haven't renounced anything?"

Troy shook his head no as he helped Susan off the bed.

"Helen had to do that to become Contessa. If you're not marrying into the royal family, it's entirely optional."

Susan gave a sigh of relief and put on her shoes, realizing that her only shoe choices were sneakers and a pair of strappy heels, one of which was now bent ninety degrees from being used as a door knocker. She looked at her shoes, looked at her other two outfits on the bed, then looked around at the opulent guest bedroom of Castle Finzione where she'd just spent the night and a morning of mind-control enhanced love-making.

"Right about now," she said aloud to Troy and also no one in particular. "I figured I'd be at Beth's Café with the girls, trying my hardest NOT to Do What We Do to get them to come to the Science Fiction Museum with me."

"Life takes funny turns, sometimes, doesn't it?" Troy replied, taking hold of her arm. "Now, c'mon, let's go have a fabulous palace brunch with our dear friend who's technically The Queen, before I take you on a whirlwind shopping spree to stores you probably didn't know existed; then return you to the castle and go visit my injured first girlfriend, who is ALSO The Queen."

Susan laughed and opened the door.

* * *

The Ultimados flanking the door outside Contessa Helena de San Finzione's room stood at attention. One of them knocked on it. La Contessa bid him open the door.

A hand holding a vase containing a dozen Julie Andrews Roses appeared in the doorway. Helen smiled at it. A few seconds later, another hand holding a small, white, arrow-shaped sign on a tiny stick with "Free Helen Seed" on it appeared, and pointed the arrow at the flowers.

Helen laughed, the morphine adding to her amusement. As Troy entered the room, he froze in mid-air and made a "Ding" sound with his mouth.

"Troy Equals: Mathematicus Sheepfuckius." Helen said aloud.

Troy continued walking toward Helen, trying not to laugh; when she, too, froze and went "Ding."

"Contessa Helena de San Finzione: Wickedstepmothericus Fuckyouhelenus." Came his reply.

He set the flowers on the nightstand next to her, couldn't come up with a hugging scenario that he felt he could safely get around her stitches and fractured left shoulder, and settled for a kiss. With her right hand, Helen grabbed the back of his head and held his lips to hers until they parted to let her tongue in. After a few seconds, they broke the kiss.

"Hey, Girl." Troy said.

"Hey, Boy."

"How're you doing?" He asked.

Helena motioned with her head that he should close the door. She waited for it to close to give her reply as Troy took the recliner that was still in the room from Julie's stay with her and pulled it back up to the bed to hold her hand.

"Really needing a smoke."

Troy patted her hand.

"Julie was worried that the one you took there," Troy said, pointing to the spot on Helena's breast that was bandaged and covered by the gown. "Might've gotten your lung."

Helena picked up a pen and started holding it the way she'd hold a cigarette.

"Nobody kills these fuckers but me," she said thumping her chest, then wincing a bit as she felt it through the drugs.

"Well, still, I guess after something like this, I'm not taking you home today."

Helen shook her head, and felt more not-quite pain down her shoulder and arm, becoming acutely aware of how interconnected the parts of her body were.

"They say if it looks good tomorrow, the next day would be possible."

Troy looked at her cautiously.

"You didn't do anything foolish to make them put a rush on that decision, did you?"

She almost nodded "no" again, before remembering how it felt before, and met his look instead.

"No. If I was doing The Thing to the doctors, I'd be smoking by now. Some of the care team will be staying at the castle to give me round-the-clock care; I imagine, until I start charging them for their stay." Helen changed the subject. "So, where's Susan?"

"At the marketplace. We didn't really have time to pack, so she needed clothes. Should've known better than 'We'll just stop for a couple of hours.' Stavro's looking after her while Maria's busy."

"Well, that's why I left the money."

"Oh, she didn't take it. I've been investing for her too, so as long as Stavro can keep her from spending too long at the Armani shop, she'll have no problems. She's been concerned that accepting the passport makes her one of your 'subjects' now."

Helen smiled at the thought.

"No more so than you or Julie would be. She won't get drafted."

Helen could tell from the look on Troy's face that the conversation was about to shift gears.

"Helen, someone tried to kill you. I told the Generalissimo I wouldn't ask him about it, or make him tell me. I wasn't going to ask at all but he said you were concerned by it, and you said it was what all this was about: Springheel."

Helen's eyes widened at his use of the word. Troy sensed that it had affected her and tried to calm her down.

"Hey, hey, it's just a word you said while you were delirious. Only him, Julie, and I heard it. He already knows, and Julie thinks you were rambling about this season's new shoe line. You know, 'spring heels.'"

"Troilus," Helen said, trying to sit up as best she could without hurting herself. "I need you to let this go. For me, please. I know he's your hero, but don't try to be James Bond."

"Julie DID give me her dad's Walther PPK for an anniversary. Not the wedding, another."

Troy saw by the look in Helen's eyes that the joke wasn't working.

"Seriously, Troy, I can't tell you what it's about, it's classified to the highest levels for a reason. At least one person, that I know of, has already died over it. It's what the assassin was sent after me about, and why whoever's behind this planted the bomb."

"Yeah," Troy responded. "The assassin that couldn't hear. So, whoever it is, they know about What We Do."

"No, they know about The Thing That I Do. I know you don't want anyone knowing about you, Julie, and Susan. I do whatever I can to keep you out of things."

"Except, ya know, buying our hotel, having Royal Balls in our honor, giving Julie a Ferrari, having Ultimados watch our house..."

Helen cut him off.

"Hey, buying hotels and turning them into Società Finzione resorts is something I do anyway. Fortune called me "The Real-Life Monopoly Maven" for a reason. Everything else has been because I love you guys. And that's why you can't know about Springheel. I know I'll tell you eventually, just not now."

She slumped a little, exhausted from dealing with people since that morning.

"Please don't force me to make it a command, Troy."

Troy patted her hand some more.

"Ok, Petalouda, ok. I should let you rest."

"No, stay," Helen said, pulling Propappou's smoking jacket out from where she'd stashed it and trying to bring it up to snuggle with again. "At least until I fall asleep."

He helped her with the jacket, then sat back down and took hold of her hand again.

"Sure," he replied. "Julie told you I'm gonna want that back, right."

"Mmhmm," Helen replied, closing her eyes. "And you know what you and Julie are going to have to do to get it back."

"I'm sure you won't be in any condition for that before we have to leave."

"No, dumbass, the other thing."

"Oh. That."

"Yep," she said, fading. "The OTHER, other, other thing I want from you."

Troy's response was a reluctant grunt. Helen fell asleep a few moments later. He stayed for another hour.