A Little R&R Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"He does have a point. Reno wouldn't be in full attire, especially a tie. He calls them a 'noose' if I remember correctly," Elena chided. Reno wrinkled his nose at her.

"Yea, they're still a noose. I used to dress like this when I first made it into the Turks." He eyed her suspiciously. "Hey, you're not in black either. I thought you'd wear the new one."

"This is just more... comfortable," she shrugged.

"And you think this is comfortable??" Reno's eyebrows shot to his forehead and he leaned forward, pointing to his neckline. His tirade was interrupted by the entrance of President Shinra and Tseng. As they reached the head of the table, Tseng dropped a stack of papers and folders in front of the President before taking his seat. Reno tucked a tidbit of information away in the back of his head; there was a strange air between the two of them, almost like Tseng had been the school boy carrying his boyfriend's books to school. The thought amused him. He might have to make a bit of a side project figuring out what the connection might be. Even if he found nothing, it would alleviate boredom.

"Good morning, all. I trust everyone is-" he stopped, eyeing Reno and stifling a smile. "I see you made it on time today. Perhaps the move into a room with Rude was positive after all." Rufus nodded down to Tseng, who seemed to gloat for a moment before his eyes lit on Reno, causing him to choke. Must have been Tseng's idea to put me in Rude's room all along. Reno relaxed slightly, realizing the President wasn't making an example out of him.

"As I was saying, I see we are all on time today. The meeting today will be a short one; I wanted to make sure you all got a schedule of the renovations and new room assignments. We are working on the men's dorms before the women's. If the renovations go well, we have another idea we may implement. There will be test dormitories for the senior of you. Once the rooms have been renovated those moving into them will be expected to fill out an evaluation form which you will receive later.

"Continuing, I also have a change in assignment for today. If you are to report to training for the new recruits, there will be a bulletin outside your office door. I suggest you check the bulletins today," he eyed Reno, "before making other plans or completing other assignments. Also, yesterday we received new uniforms. Some of you have them already; others will not have their uniforms until late tonight. On Monday, these will become standard and the others are to be discarded." Rufus looked around the room, noting Reno was the only one in the uniform. He gestured to him.

"Why don't you stand and demonstrate?" Rufus asked, gesturing for Reno to stand. He continued without pause, "There will be a memo sent to all employees, but I want to make sure my support units heard the words directly from me." He gestured again to Reno, who stood grudgingly and walked to the front of the room. Rufus unzipped the front of Reno's jacket before continuing.

"As you can see, the jackets now unzip instead of buttoning. They are black, not blue. Also," he lifted Reno's jacket, "we have eliminated the necessity of a belt, but one may be worn if desired." He took hold of Reno's waist and turned him around. Reno rolled his eyes and sighed, facing the back of the room, positive Rufus was doing this on purpose.

"The pants are a different cut than before and the men's shirts are a bit longer than before. This should allow them to keep their shirts tucked in while still maintaining an active lifestyle." He slipped a finger through Reno's belt loop and turned him around again, tugging on the tie around his neck. Reno complied, his eyes widening in alarm as his button was pushed. Rufus stood in front of Reno and zipped his jacket again. "Thank you for being my model for the day. You may return to your seat."

Reno complied, fingering his neck. He would NEVER wear a tie again even if he WAS paid. If it was one thing he couldn't stand, it was being led around on a leash. He dropped into his seat, sitting nearly upright and surveyed those around the table. No one spoke as most everyone seemed shocked more than anything else, but Tseng was, by far, the most interesting of those assembled, looking as though he were about to have a coronary. Rufus continued as though nothing had happened.

"I expect to see everyone in the new uniforms on Monday. Moving on."

The rest of the meeting was the standard routine about missions, company projections, and new trainees and how to keep them. Reno stopped paying much attention as the meeting droned on. Hadn't Rufus said this would be a short meeting?

"... and Reno, I will need to see you later today. Be sure to schedule an appointment. That is all, ladies and gentlemen, you are dismissed."

Rude stood, letting the others file past him. If anyone could have seen inside his head, they would see a very large kid having the most pathetic fit. I don't want to give up my suit! The corners of his mouth pulled faintly. At least he had until Monday.

Reno eyed Rude. "You gonna be okay there, Big Man?

The tall man snapped his head out from his thoughts and gave a jerk towards the door, the entrance finally clear. Reno smirked and sauntered out ahead of him and waited alongside the throng of people holding for the elevators. Rude followed behind, he had to do something to cheer himself; he was not about to spend all day grumbling about stupid rumors and policy. He bumped Reno firmly in the behind with his leg, acting nonchalant.

The redhead turned over his shoulder and smirked. "Better watch it. Might end up with someone saying you're trying to shove me down an elevator shaft."

Rude dropped his jaw, and then popped it shut quickly. No, we're not going to egg this thing on anymore. He settled his head to take a look at something very high over the elevator doors.

"Whazzamatter, Big Man. Nothin' for me?" Reno stuck the tip of his tongue out between his lips and grinned. Rude shifted the shoulders of his jacket in retort. "So you'd rather I went back to the innuendo. I see." He turned and looked up at the imaginary spot Rude was focused on.

The elevator arrived completely empty. Reno entered, holding the door for Rude. Manners? Boy, he's playing it good today.

As the doors closed, Reno elbowed him. "So what happened to you yesterday outside of my murder?"

What didn't? Rude held open his good hand, knocking down his fingers as he reviewed. "Trainees trying to shoot me up, Door handle broke off the car, single-handedly dealt with an independent terrorist..." he let his words hang. He never did finish his paperwork. Crap!

Reno's eyebrows shot to his forehead. "They sent you in on a terrorist negotiation without backup? The fuck were they thinking? Coulda been killed." Reno was less than happy about that last bit. At least someone had been around to help him with the trainees.

"They had to evacuate everyone as soon as they could. I was just supposed to go and find the guy."

"Rude, they never send you anywhere without backup like that," he defended, turning his face toward the stone wall in front of him. He stopped and took a step back. "I wasn't exactly anywhere around. They should have sent someone with you."

Careful, Reno. Don't push.

Rude snorted. "Like anyone was going to help me." He furrowed his brow. "EVERY one was too damned caught up in that stupid rumor. Who the hell started it anyways??"

Reno thought for a moment. "The only thing I can see, Rude, is maybe our fight in the hallway. We were yelling and I was hiding from you and then Elena runs off... Yea, that might have had something to do with it. Not to mention the..." he stopped and dropped his eyes to the floor. Shut the fuck up, idiot!

Rude knew what he had avoided. He, too, clued in on what all of it combined could come across as. "So how come they all decided I took you out? I'm not that big of a brute, am I?" He looked worried. Maybe there was something that he didn't know, something about how he was around other people.

"Let's think about this logically. When I told you to take a fall in the hallway last week, did you? Let me answer that for you. No. You didn't. Seriously, Rude, do you think I could take you out?? It's not like you're exactly friendly, either. All stone faced and mute when anyone else is around besides me. Not that I'm complaining, mind you." He patted Rude in the center of the chest.

"Besides, you're a big guy. Big guys are bullies, guys like me always have their hand in the cookie jar. It's the way things run. Even when I'm not responsible for something, I am." He shrugged as the bell rang on his floor. "You comin' to my office later so I can help you with that paperwork? Sounds like you might need it since you were there alone." Rude shuffled behind Reno, never really giving an answer to the question other than a low hum, parting at the intersection that split between their offices.

~~~~

Stuck square in the center of his message board was a screaming yellow photocopy announcing dorm reassignments. Rude pulled it down and balled it up, knowing already who he would end up with. Behind it were a few notes, one from Tseng who was expecting his timesheet and write up from yesterday, and one from Elena who needed more information for her write-up on Butterfingers. He pocketed the two, slid his pass key, and entered the room.

Rude sat and pulled back out his timesheet. It was only half-way filled and he could see where he had been tapping his pen the night before. He bullshitted the rest of the form and tucked it to one corner of his desk. Now this only left him with his report from yesterday's emergency. He grabbed the appropriate form and scanned through it. Almost immediately he realized there was a problem.

"I never got her name." He scratched his head.

Rude filled in what he could, skipping lines for what he couldn't answer, figuring he could have one of the countless secretaries fill in the blanks. He stretched, noting the time was just before eight. Overtime, he grinned. He heard someone step outside his door and put something on the cork. He scooted over in the wheeled chair and cracked the door. Pale blue wafted at him, lodged under a tack. He tugged it free and checked it over. Training. Yay. His enthusiasm was anything but.

Rude tried to dial Elena's extension only to find it busy. He left her a message and then checked his own. One message was from the Sector 8 Head, nothing more than him jabbering on about something with his paperwork. He made a mental note to call about it later. He tried Elena's line again, but she didn't pick up. He disconnected before he was transferred and made to hit up one of the secretaries outside.

Rude almost tripped over three secretaries corralled beside his door. They were whispering very quietly amongst themselves. One piece of paper was held between them and they all seemed pretty upset with it. Rude cleared his throat.

"Would one of you, ladies," his voice squeaked as he tried to present a pleasant tone, "mind finding what needs filled in on this form? And get this one to Tseng?" All three stood slack jawed. Rude started to get a bit uncomfortable. He put forth a bright smile and added, "Please?"

The oldest of the three took the papers without saying anything, her eyes fixed on Rude. What? Is there something on my head? He ran a hand up his forehead and over to the back of his head. They were still staring. He nodded and walked around them, heading towards Reno's. A few steps away, he called over his shoulder. "Thank you!"

~*~*~*~*~

Reno saw the sheets littering his board as he cleared the corner. He snagged them all as he slid the keycard in the door with the other hand. He strode across the floor, the door closing automatically behind him and tossed the papers on his desk. Flopping into his seat, he pulled out a notebook and a pen and answered his voicemail.

Reno, you won't be paying attention in the meeting. I need to see you afterward. Schedule an appointment.

Reno snorted and made the note to talk to Rufus. The mailbox was empty. Maybe I should check this thing daily.

The first sheet to catch his eye was the yellow one with room assignments. He scanned the page, noting his name with Rude. That should shut off some of the rumor mill, at least. He tossed it. The next was a note from the guy in receiving. He sighed and set it aside. He would deal with that later. Last was a pale blue sheet with a schedule for recruit training. Great. He phoned Elena, hoping she was in her office. When she didn't pick up, he left a brief voicemail. Then he dialed receiving.

"Hello?" the timid voice broadcast, nearly drowned out by background noise.

"Hey, this is Reno. Someone left a message for me."

"Oh, Reno, right. Yea, I wanted to talk to you. Can you hang on so I can go back into the office?"

"Make it quick, yo. I have training to do today."

The line clicked and went silent, followed by the lovely Shin-Ra Corp advertisements complete with elevator music. He hated being put on hold. It was the main reason why he never called anyone if he could help it, preferring just to show up whenever. The line picked up again.

"I'm really glad to hear you're alive, Reno," he stated, chipper as usual. Reno swallowed hard.

"You do know Rude didn't kill me, right?"

"I didn't think he did kill you, just thought he might have tried. You know how he is."

"Yea, I know how he is and that's why I can say without doubt my partner wouldn't kill me." His voice bit with an irritated edge.

"Okay, Reno, calm down," the voice soothed through the phone. "Are we still on for tomorrow night?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you said you were pleased with my... performance... the other day."

"What performance?" Reno wracked his brain, trying to come up with what he had done and nothing sprung to mind. When had he last been in receiving?

"You don't remember, do you?" He sounded a bit hurt. "Really, Reno."

"Refresh my memory," he lazed, sliding back into his chair a bit. "I have a lot on my mind between now and a few days ago." Understatement.

"So it might have been two weeks ago or something. I can't remember. You had my number. It was me and Relena. We had a discussion in the back room. Remember?" The last word was given with such insistence the memory clicked in Reno's head. He planted his palm square across his face. So that's what Rude was talking about.

"Yea, I remember. So what about it?"

"You said you might call me to do it again. Only... without Relena."

"Ah, yea, well I've got a lot on my plate and with my head wanted on a platter to sit on Tseng's desk, I need to cool my heels for awhile, if you get my meaning. I know where to find you."

"Oh. Okay." His voice turned meek like before. "See you around, then."

"Yea." Reno tossed the phone back into the hook and smacked his forehead against his desk. He hated it when a fling turned into an attachment. He stopped cold and screwed his face up. He didn't even want to deal with how hypocritical he sounded.

He was distracted by a knock on his door. Crossing the office, he opened the door only to have a memo thrust into his face. He took it from the girl who huffed away. Reno watched her retreating backside, certain he had upset her in one way or another and read the memo. There were five words on the face large enough one would be hard pressed to miss.

Interoffice Chatter T o Cease Immediately.

Reno chuckled. Someone was certainly trying to save the Big Guy more hassle. If it had been anyone other than Rude, Reno would have found it humorous. Hell, he would have propagated them. Snagging the training schedule from his desk, he left the office to chat with Elena before training started.

He punched the button for the elevator and waited. It was going to be damned slow for the time of day. They needed more elevators or something. He leaned back against the panel and reached for the smokes in his jacket pocket, his fingers groping the fabric. Damn, they're in my other jacket!

The elevator arrived and a couple of people exited. He stepped inside, noting the elevator was going up before heading down and since he wasn't in the mood to stand outside the elevator and wait without a smoke, he took a place against the wall to ride it out. In the rush to get his uniform right and with Rude mocking him, he had forgotten his damned cigarettes. Today was going to be a long day.

One of the women on the elevator tugged his jacket gently He turned to meet the face of the girl from level 66. Her armload of clutched folders and reports hit the floor and scattered as she hugged him violently. As she stepped back, her face flushed, and she stared at him until the elevator stopped on the next floor and the remaining two people exited. She hugged him again.

"Oh, God, Reno! I'm so glad to see you're still alive! There was this rumor going around about your partner strangling you to death in his room! I was so worried! I'm so sorry I got angry at you over that thing in your office last week. You didn't know he would walk in on us and I'm sure you didn't mean what you said. You were just covering for us, right?" She bent over to pick up her papers, still talking. "He must have done a number on you, though. I don't think I've ever seen you this dressy. You look very," her eyes roved the length of his frame as she stood, "sexy." She leaned in closer to him, pressing her fingers against his palm.

"You got the time?" he asked her, running the tips of his fingers along hers. She checked her watch.

"Just before 9:30, why?"

Reno grinned and hit the emergency stop in the elevator.

~*~*~*~*~

Rude was perched by the door to a large exercise floor watching Elena dance her way closer. She had heaps of protective gear piled up over her shoulders and arms, some of it slipping as she reached for the door handle.

"A little help, please?" Rude chuckled and swung the latch, letting the door open a small amount. Elena wasn't quite quick enough to catch the door. It shut with a heavy click.

"Ha ha ha. Now help me," she snorted. Rude picked off some of the more rambunctious pieces and opened the door fully for her. Elena marched through.

"Rude."

"Yes?"

"No, I mean that was rude." She dropped the items in punctuation, a quirky smile blossoming across her lips. "And to say you're sorry, YOU get to be one of my victims." Her eyes glinted with mischief. Rude raised an eyebrow. He didn't have a good feeling about this.

Reno opened the door and jaunted in late as expected, the tie pulled through the collar, but not tied. "You shoulda showed me how you tied this thing. I'll be damned if I can remember," he smirked, eyes running along the knot in Rude's tie. He was sure he could do it himself with a bit of effort, but he rather enjoyed the close proximity it brought him with his crush.

Rude flattened his expression, but before either could continue, Elena clapped her hands together loudly. The new trainees had finished filing in five minutes before, and now that she had everyone together, it was time to move on.

"Today we're going to be working on some basics in hand to hand combat. Now I know some of you have experience with this, so I'm asking you to be kind to your partner and please, don't knock any one out. Let's see, if you all could have a seat here," she pointed to one side of the room, "these gentlemen," she said with a sarcastic twist, "will give you a brief demonstration as to what you will eventually be doing out in the field." She motioned to the pair still in the doorway, Rude with both hands holding an end to Reno's tie and Reno practically falling into Rude's chest.