A Little Respect Ch. 04

Story Info
Caroline discovers Caith's secret.
7.7k words
4.74
30.4k
22

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 12/27/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Apologies for the length of time it has taken for me to complete this next installment of my story. I hope that part five will not take as long. Thank you all for reading, and I hope you enjoy the continuation of Aenerin and Caroline's tale.

LTS xxx

A few days had passed since the return of Lord Aenerin and his troops- this brave army of men and women having set out to vanquish the well known vampire hunter Lairne, refusing to return home until the job was done. I had found out from some of the other women who acted as my maidservants that Lairne had been a plague on the Winterthorn Estate for many years and after the incident on the estate's border, Aenerin decided that the time had finally come to make a stand. No one cared much for the man who would happily kill innocents, just because they consorted with a vampire, who was probably more humane in his treatment of mortals than the hunter himself.

Although we had all been expecting the repercussions to be severe- so far no one had come seeking vengeance for Lairne's death and all had been peaceful in and around the estate. Maybe the other hunters were scared now, as Lairne had been somewhat of a legend in these parts, believed to be invincible, but clearly that was not true. Even my dearest Aenerin wasn't as invulnerable as I had at first believed- coming home barely in one piece, all covered in scars, which had taken some time to heal.

Being a powerful vampire, like he was, Aenerin's strength soon came back and he felt well enough to resume duties as Winterthorn's Lord and master, issuing his orders and making his commands in the same way he had been doing for years. But every time I looked at him I saw in my mind's eye that injured, blood-drenched body, and knew how lucky I was to have him back safely, the memory of that horrific day still staining my memory and making me cherish every moment I could spend with the one I loved. Goodness, for a vampire, I really do sound soppy, don't I?

Anyway, Aenerin, I found, hardly seemed to complain at my constant presence, always wanting to be within his company, and included me in all the duties he had to perform, teaching me patiently about life as a noble, and the responsibilities that we both had in running the estate. He was very interested in all aspects of life at Winterthorn, from the men working the fields, to the rotation of the crops in the fields for a better harvest, right down to the farrier who shoed the horses, and the visiting healers who would come and treat our sick if we had any. Every little aspect of life was Aenerin's concern, which amused me slightly, seeing as he had not been a living, breathing, man for many, many years.

However, now that I was part of the estate as well, I found myself taking on a number of tasks that Aenerin seemed only too glad to be rid of. I was far better at dealing with disputes than he was- I had always been a patient girl who could listen well, and seemed to settle most arguments with ease. I was also approached by the women on more personal matters, and in the case of my maidservant Risha- lots of girl-talk and advice. I think she had already forgotten that I was only a few years older than her, and despite being a vampire myself, had only the wisdom I had picked up from my short time as a mortal human being to guide me in all my decision making.

Luckily Risha's problems were ones I could just about deal with, mainly because they tended to involve a certain young man, and men, well, they were one thing I knew quite a lot about. I did not complain, for her company always amused me and kept my feet quite firmly on the ground. Still, it was nice to be alone with Aenerin when time allowed, even if he was working and I was just sitting in the room with him, reading or practising my embroidery, two skills I had not been able to indulge in when I had been a humble tavern wench.

So it was quite accurate to say that I was content, well, as content as I could be, for I always feared my past would catch up with me one day, and all this would be taken away. I had never had any luck until now, and everything seemed far too good to be true. If I thought about it too long, it scared me even though I knew that if my darling Aenerin could deal with a vampire hunter, he could most certainly deal with the tavern owner who had once treated me as his property. But still... it made me uneasy.

"What are you thinking about?"

I glanced over at Aenerin, who had been sitting writing at his desk by the window, his quill pen poised in mid air as he looked at me, a concerned frown on his ever handsome face.

"Nothing much," I smiled, rising and walking over to him, encircling his torso with my arms.

He laid his pen down and swung me into his lap, which caused me to whoop in surprise as I landed perfectly in his arms, my head brought towards his in a tender kiss.

"I will not have my lady worry so," he replied, looking up into my eyes and holding my gaze. "Yours is meant to be a trouble free existence from now on."

"I will always worry about you," I replied with a tiny smile, tracing the scar that still remained above his left eye. "But I like doing that."

He laughed and set me back on my feet, saying that he had better get his work finished. After that he would gladly take a walk with me around the estate grounds, as it always looked so pretty at night. I nodded, agreeing to meet him in the square in about an hour's time. The sun had only just set and I was very much looking forward to our evening together.

Since the fighting, Aenerin hadn't really spoken to me much about what happened during the battle with Lairne, but I had learnt enough from the estate's best gossip-monger- namely Risha- that he fought like a demon and had taken down almost double that of anyone else. His bravery had really spurred his outnumbered men on, and when Lairne had been cut down by Aenerin's own sword, they had managed to drive back the remaining fighters and return home victorious.

However, as always, there are some who do not return home, and for one young girl especially, it had hit her terribly hard. Bother her parents had been killed in the fighting- a tragic loss as she had been left alone, with no other brothers or sisters or relatives of any kind. She and her parents had moved to Winterthorn to escape persecution in a neighbouring kingdom and had been allowed to stay, thanks to Aenerin's kindness. A child of only ten years, the estate's latest orphan was old enough to understand loss, but not quite of an age to know how to deal with it, and despite a kindly family having taken her in for the moment, there was little comfort that could be given, and everyone was concerned about her.

As for me, I had never been especially good with children, nor ever wanted one, mainly because of who I had been at the tavern, and back then all I had seen a child as being was simply an extra mouth to feed. I would have hated to have been put in the position where the landlord, my master, would have either forced me to bring up the child, only to watch him or her suffer the same life as myself, or give the poor thing away. At worst he may even have had it killed, for a whore with a child was not something that he wanted to promote to his clients- the more gullible ones being told that some of us were virgins, making them pay three times the price for the honour of deflowering a poor woman who had, in reality, not been a maiden for many a year. Someone who did seem to be the more maternal type was Risha, and when she had been washing my hair the other evening, had told me of the poor girl's situation, and how her own mother was keen to adopt the child full time.

"It would be nice to have a sister," Risha had smiled, running a long toothed comb through my hair as I splashed warm fragrant water over my body. "In a family full of brothers, I have always wanted to have someone to tell secrets to and braid their hair, and share my dresses with."

I tried to imagine one of Risha's tough looking brothers in a frilled dress and the thought almost made me burst out laughing.

"And your mother is quite prepared to take another child on? I would have thought having you was already enough hard work!"

"Hey!" Risha had exclaimed, yanking my hair in a playful fashion. "Be nice. I'm no worry to my mother at all, and she loves children. Six isn't really that much different to five, and I think she has an idea about me possibly finding a dwelling of my own soon enough. I am of the marrying age, and I think she knows that I'm seeing someone."

"Just not that it's Caith..."

"Well no," Risha replied, "I haven't got the courage to tell her, as she's rather strict about the men I'm allowed to associate with. But to be fair I don't think even Lord Aenerin would be good enough for me in her eyes."

"Good, 'coz he's taken," I had grinned back.

"I know, I know," my maid servant had tutted, making me stand before wrapping me in a warm fire-toasted towel.

She had left me to dry myself, going to the other room to lay out my dress for that evening and find whatever jewels she thought would look suitable. Aenerin, it seemed, had a vast selection of jewellery, gifts, he had said, from rich friends which he had turned into pretty necklaces, earings and bracelets in anticipation of his love, so that he may adorn her with stunning, expensive presents. I'd already given Risha a diamond hair slide, and had thought to give a few other items away as presents to other loyal staff, as being unused to such finery, having this much made me feel a little uncomfortable.

When I had brought the matter up with Aenerin he had not been angry as I had first expected, but said they were mine to do as I pleased with- so I saw no harm in distributing the items to those I cared for. I knew they would be treasured rather than melted down and sold, and that made me happy.

Anyway, stories of orphans aside, and allowing my dear Aenerin to continue with his important work, I went to make my way outside, slipping on one of his coats on as I descended the stone staircase out into the courtyard. I loved wearing Aenerin's clothes, even if they were a little big on me, and snuggled my face into the collar, holding the rest tight to my body.

The candles had been lit and a warm amber glow warmed the night. From across the yard, the sound of cheerful voices could be heard, drinking and carousing, the victory celebrations still going on even some days later. I smiled to myself as I swept past the open windows like a wraith and out to the other end of the estate where I fancied a walk in the gardens and grounds. Every now and again it was nice to just be alone, and right then I wished to be accompanied only by my thoughts and contentment.

The fine silk of my dress brushed against my bare legs as I took hold of the large wrought iron gate and swung it easily open, slipping through it and out onto the soft grassy path that led either to the fountain and gardens or the forest. I decided that I actually fancied the forest, for the smell and the way the moonlight dappled through the branches of the trees above always pleased me, and made all memories of my suffering go away. I guess it made me feel free.

I skipped down the path, as if I were a child again, my feet sinking deep into the loamy forest floor, enjoying every moment. I walked for some time, looking up at the brilliant night sky and the fluffy clouds that rolled happily on past. I was hardly paying attention to anything in particular- I believe the correct term is 'away with the fairies', and I felt at one with the night, my vampire senses allowing me to see amazingly well, and I took in all the wondrous delights that only nature could provide.

However, something stopped me dead in my tracks, as from up ahead my sensitive ears heard a sound. It was a rustle of leaves, and not one made by the wind, but a quite definite movement, as if a body was pushing its way through the low shrubs and plants and fallen leaves on the forest floor.

"Who's there?" I called, my voice wavering slightly.

There was no reply.

"Show yourself!" I tried again, this time a little fiercer, as I felt my fangs lengthen slightly, my body tense and on edge. My mind flashed me images of vengeful vampire hunters, and other horrible possibilities. I bit my tongue, trying to be rational and force my fears into the background.

"I'm warning you!" I veritably snarled. "Come into the light!"

It was only then that I saw it- a black shadow, darting between the trees. I span around quickly, knowing that whatever this thing was, it was not slow, and nor was it human for it moved too close to the ground to be any mortal being.

I narrowed my eyes, listening for any slight sound- although it was not a sound that made my senses jump, no, it was the sight of two piercing amber eyes that stared out at me through the darkness. A body followed, a sleek black form slinking out of the night, the fur that covered the creature's back shimmering in the moonlight. It was a wolf, but not any ordinary wolf, for as I looked closer I noticed two things. One, his eyes were intelligent, he was not scared of me, and knew that if he behaved in a non threatening manner, I would not either. Two, in his mouth he carried something- a wrapped package that he had grasped between his vicious wolfish fangs as gently as if he were carrying a wayward pup.

"Hello Caith..."

I don't know why I said it, I just did- I just knew that this creature, lurking so close to the estate with his soft and thoughtful eyes, and his gift of some kind, just had to be the mysterious man who my maid was in love with.

The wolf looked a little shocked, but padded closer towards me, intrigued. He placed the package down gently before looking up at me. I knelt down, not at all afraid and placed a hand softly on the creature's head.

"Yes... I know who you are," I replied, "And I imagine you know who I am."

He inclined his head in a kind of nod.

"Do not worry, your secret is safe with me. I simply guessed...no one has told me about you, only Aenerin and even he did not say more than that you were his closest friend."

I couldn't help but scratch the wolf softly behind the ear, and to my surprise his eyes closed and he growled softly at the back of his throat contentedly.

"Risha cares a lot for you, don't you think it's time you shared your secret with her as well?" I said softly, realising this might be one of the few chances I got to speak with Caith alone, and after the kindness Risha had shown me, I wanted everything with her and Caith to work out for the best, even if he was a little afraid what her reaction may be. "You are a good man, there is no shame it what you are."

The wolf turned his head away, almost shamefully, his furred shoulders sagging as if heavily burdened by the truth of his existence.

"I think she would understand."

Caith's soft amber eyes met mine, and I could see from them alone how pained he was. This was obviously something that worried him as well. He was far from being a monster, in much the same way Aenerin was hardly the vampire from folk law and fairy tales, but to overcome what has already been ingrained into societies minds was something that was easier said than done. I imagined he thought that either Risha or her parents would not approve, or worse still, be scared of him.

"I'm sorry," I apologised. "I shouldn't have just blurted out my own thoughts, when really this is nothing to do with me... it's just... I have come to care for Risha myself, and I would like to see her happy."

My apology was obviously accepted as a soft muzzle pressed against the palm of my hand, reassuring me that I had not been seen as rude or interfering. Obviously being unable to speak in the form he was in, it was a little hard to understand how Caith truly felt about the whole situation, but I believed that he did care, and did want to set things straight.

"If there is anything I can do to help, come seek me out in the estate. I know of a private place where we could talk, if you so wish."

Caith hesitated for a moment, but inclined his head slowly, fixing his honest wolfish eyes with mine, in a way that suggested he would think seriously about taking me up on my offer.

"If that is something for Risha I will happily deliver it for you..." I said, pointing to the small wrapped package.

The wolf padded over to where he had left the item and picked it up softly in his mouth, pacing back towards me before dropping it in my open palms. I promised I would not open it and would deliver it safely into Risha's hands. A genuine look of relief sparkled in Caith's wolfish eyes.

"I had better get back to the estate now," I said, "Aenerin will be waiting for me."

I imagined just over an hour had passed, for the moon was now in a different part of the sky, and I hoped that he would not be too annoyed at having to wait for his wandering Caroline to return, especially after being so inclined to spend as much time with Aenerin as I could.

"I hope to see you soon."

The wolf shook his shimmering fur, stretching out his clawed paws into the soft loam of the forest floor before giving me one final look and bounding off into the darkness once more.

I pursed my lips. So it was true. The mysterious young man that had stolen Risha's heart was none other than a werewolf. Now, I knew little about such creatures despite having heard much about them from drunkards and wandering bards in the tavern where I used to work. However, like my previous knowledge of vampires, I doubted all that I had heard was entirely true, and certainly in Caith's case he was not some mangy salivating monster that had no independent thought and simply wanted to rip the throat out of wandering innocents. He seemed intelligent, aware, and almost pained at what he was. I also had been under the impression that such creatures could only appear by the light of a full moon, and glancing upwards I noticed that it was only a crescent, so that put paid to that theory. I would have to ask either Caith himself or Aenerin, who I was sure would answer my questions now that I knew about his friend.

So with many questions spinning round my head, I turned and began my journey back along the path and towards the shining beacons that lit the outer walls of my beloved Winterthorn. But I had not been walking too long when I heard yet another sound up ahead of me, but this time it was a voice, so I strained my ears to hear what was being said.

"Caroline? Caroline is that you?!"

Someone was calling my name! I listened harder and then to my shock and pleasure realised that it was Aenerin's. He had obviously tired of waiting and had come looking for me.

"I am here my love!" I shouted back. "I am sorry that I lingered so long out in the forest, please do not be angry with me."

His thick laugh wafted towards me on the still night air.

"I could not be angered at you for talking a walk, my sweet silly girl," he replied, his form appearing out of the darkness. He smiled fondly at me and held out his hand for me to take.

"I am glad," I smiled, a little sheepishly. "It's just I do not want you to worry."

"I do not worry about you in that sense, my dear," he replied. "As I created you as one of my own, I know exactly where you are most of the time, I simply have to think of you and I am connected with your presence, your spirit as it were. It is something you will learn in time, and be able to connect with other beings too."

"Oh," I replied, "so you were watching me?"

"No!" he laughed, "I am a vampire not a seer! What do you expect of me next to be able to turn into a bat?!"

"Do not mock me so," I complained, reddening on my cheeks. "It's not fair."

"You are full of human beliefs still, but do not worry, we can change that soon enough." He smiled, planting a tender kiss on my lips before I could complain again. I forgave him instantly and pressed my body close up against his own, the soft moonlight shimmering through his long loose hair. He was not dressed as smartly as usual, this casualness I found quite appealing though, for he looked more at one with the night, his open shirt showing off his well muscled chest, as his long cloak billowed out behind him as a cool breeze whipped past us.