A Long Walk Home Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JazCullen
JazCullen
6,496 Followers

He shifted to wolf form and waited for his mate to lock up the retreat. Then they took off into the trees, vampire and wolf flying through the forest at breakneck speed.

"I'll point out the traps for you," Freya remarked in a droll voice, just the smallest hint of teasing creeping into her tone. The wolf growled loudly in response, his disdain clear to hear.

A wide smile crossed her lips as she ran beside him. This felt right, the feeling of peace within her almost perfect in its sweetness. She wanted to run with this wolf for eternity. She wanted the peace that only he could give her. As she ran she dared to dream that maybe one day she could have what she craved so badly.

*****

"Aunt Freya!"

The loud shriek was accompanied by the sound of little feet hitting the dirt as Liam raced towards Dayton and Freya as they walked into the compound. They'd stopped long enough for Dayton to revert to his human form and dress, choosing a more sedate end to their long run.

Freya was surprised by the strong surge of emotion that rushed through her as her nephew ran towards her. His pleasure at seeing her was uninhibited, the enthusiasm of a child who had yet to learn to guard his emotions to protect himself. She would have had to be made of ice not to reach down for this small child and gather him up in her arms.

He clung onto her fiercely; laughing in delight as she carefully cradled him against her. She was always careful with her touch with him; terrified she would hold him too tightly and accidentally hurt him.

"Missed you," he whispered against her neck dropping little kisses wherever he could. They tickled and she found herself struggling to contain her laughter at his touch. She wasn't normally one to laugh but she was doing it more often these days. She found it a little unsettling but also invigorating.

"I didn't expect to find you at the compound," she said gently.

"In light of some recent developments, we thought it best to remain here until a solution could be found," Nors answered from the doorway to the Alpha's house, his gaze searching his sister's face intently.

She raised an inquiring eyebrow, wondering what developments he was talking about. Her protective instincts kicked in and she tightened her grip on Liam just a little more. If anyone thought to harm her nephew she would quickly disabuse them of that notion.

Nors strode down the steps and approached her quietly. "There is no outside threat," he said gently, seeing the building fury in her eyes and wanting to alleviate it.

He touched her cheek gently, soothing her as he always did. "I'm glad you're home, Freya."

She leaned into his touch, feeling relief flood through her at his constant love and support. "I'm glad to be home, Nors."

He smiled then, genuine warmth crossing his face as he kissed the top of her head and extracted his son from her arms. "I cleaned up the house, arranged new furniture. The kitchen and bathrooms will be completed at the weekend. You made quite a mess." He turned and headed into the house.

"You didn't need to do that." She followed after him, Dayton a step behind her remaining silent as he watched the siblings interact for the first time. He knew how important Nors was to her. He wanted to get a feel for their relationship so he wouldn't inadvertently step on any toes and cause issues later on.

"I didn't but I wanted to. You needed a home to come back to. Ash would prefer if you moved in with us. She is being quite insistent on that point so be prepared for it. Be gentle with your refusal. If you hurt her feelings I won't be pleased."

She stumbled in surprise, Dayton hands around her waist the only thing that kept her upright.

Nors turned, his eyes quickly taking in the proprietary hold of the wolf, the way his sister did not automatically pull away. He managed to hide the shock from his expression, meeting Dayton's gaze with a cool one of his own.

He couldn't help being concerned by what he was witnessing. The wolf had been damaged beyond repair only days ago, now he was making a claim that he instantly recognised but his sister probably had no idea about. If Dayton was unable to go through with this, if Freya allowed herself to care and it went to shit, it would break her completely.

"Aunt Freya doesn't hurt so bad any more, Daddy. Neither does Dayton." Liam's words whispered in his head for the first time and he looked down at his son in surprise, awed at the sound of his mental voice and also his words.

"You will tell me if she hurts?" He should have felt bad about asking a two year to do this but he was quickly coming to realise his son was a remarkable individual despite his tender years.

While he was still childlike is most aspects, when it came to other people's emotions he had a level of maturity which was almost frightening. He had worked tirelessly to try and ease his Aunt's suffering on his own. Now he had his parents to help him.

"She's going to be okay, Daddy. I know she will because she's not alone any more." Liam was so confident that Nors felt himself relax, his gaze softening slightly as he looked back at Dayton. His nod was almost imperceptible but it was there, his silent acknowledgement of the wolf's claim to his sister.

"I've managed to arrange for your painting to be repaired too," he said as if nothing untoward had just happened. "The restorer said it was a bit of a mess but was confident she could have it back to its former glory."

Freya felt Dayton's hand tighten on her waist and instead of moving away as she should she leaned back against him, knowing that the news of the painting meant something to him. He'd said it didn't matter that she'd destroyed it and she believed he meant it at the time. But it was obvious that having it repaired did matter to him a great deal.

The sound of more footsteps broke their connection as he dropped his hands from her and she took a step forward to complete their separation. She felt instantly bereft and her heart twisted hard. She was craving his touch as she'd craved no other.

Nors was sharp enough to notice her confusion and would most probably ask her about it. She wasn't sure how she was going to answer him when he did.

"Ah, you're both back." Rafe said as he walked down the stairs. "I'd like to see both of you in the library."

It wasn't a request and Freya automatically balked at his tone. She didn't know where the Alpha got off thinking he could order her around as if she was a pack member.

Dayton's hand on the small of her back surprised her. She was walking where he nudged her before she even knew what she was doing. She shot him an irritated glare but he only gave her a half smile and continued to urge her to follow Rafe into the library.

The Alpha appeared to be distracted as he sat behind his desk and waved at them to sit. Dayton retrieved a chair from a corner and placed it in front of the desk. He stood behind it as Freya glared at him again before she sat down facing Rafe. His smile grew slightly as he rested his hands on the back of the chair, his fingers grazing the nape of her neck soothingly. He felt some of her tension subside.

"You are causing me a problem." Rafe's intense gaze was focused on the vampire, a slight tightening of his lips signalling his displeasure.

"Now, I know you're an Ancient and think you're all that but your behaviour is unacceptable. You can hiss and spit at me all you like but you're not leaving this room until we get a few things straight. Nors and Ashleigh are pack. They're my responsibility and anything that hurts them hurts me, which effectively makes you my responsibility too."

Freya gaped at him in shock, her mouth falling open. She couldn't believe the way the wolf was talking to her. It was outrageous. His words were just as bad as his tone.

Who the hell did he think he was? The only thing that was stopping her flying over the desk at him was the heat from Dayton's fingers stroking gently against her skin. It was keeping her grounded, soothing the fury that was suddenly rushing through her.

"Caleb's back," Rafe continued, ignoring her volatile reaction. "He knows something's wrong. I've managed to convince him to allow me to deal with it so for now you get to keep your head, Freya."

The deep growl that erupted from Dayton's mouth drew his eyes to the other man and he studied him quickly before filing away the information he'd gleaned. He dropped his gaze back to the vampire. She was sitting rigidly, a careful mask covering her emotions.

"What? Did you forget what happened in The Council chambers five years ago, Freya? You were there too. Any vampire who caused harm to any Were would be executed on the spot. No excuses, no justification, instant execution. You hurt Dayton. Did you think because you're an Ancient that somehow gave you a free pass? Not in Caleb's eyes it doesn't. There are no exceptions. The only reason you're still alive is because it would kill Nors if anything happened to you. Ashleigh and Liam too."

Dayton's hands tightened on the nape of her neck, fury raging through him. He'd had no idea what transpired years ago because he'd segregated himself from his people. Hearing what had been decreed terrified him as well as infuriated him. No one would harm his mate. He didn't give a flying fuck who it was.

"Freya caused me no hurt." He didn't know how he kept his voice level but the cold steel within it was unmistakable. "I've made no official complaint and have no intention to. So you can stop threatening her and tell Caleb Cullen that he'd better stay away from her."

Rafe sat back in his chair, steepling his fingers and tapping them lightly against his lips as he took in the way Dayton's hands now rested protectively on Freya's shoulders, his entire body language that of a wolf ready to defend his mate at the slightest provocation.

The man before him was no longer the man who had come hesitantly into his pack. He had no idea just what had occurred between him and the vampire but it had to have been something profound. Although he was perturbed by the suddenness of the transformation, he couldn't help feeling pleased about it too. Dayton had been a strong Beta to Jared from all he'd heard of the man. It appeared that Beta was surfacing swiftly.

"I've already spoken to Caleb," he finally said. "He acknowledges Freya is pack. I was just unprepared for how much pack she really was."

His words were meant for Dayton, letting him know that he was aware what was transpiring even if the woman with them appeared clueless. He wanted to sigh deeply at the prospect of becoming Freya's Alpha. He would almost have preferred Demetri over the volatile woman, though only almost.

"As long as it's crystal clear," Dayton pushed. He knew he wasn't being very respectful to his Alpha but he needed to make sure there were no misunderstandings. He would choose Freya over the pack if it came to it. It wouldn't be an easy choice but he'd walked away once before. He would walk away again if it was the only way to ensure her safety.

Freya was getting seriously irritated by the way the two men appeared to be talking over her in riddles. Dayton's defence of her was staggering, the way his hands held her shoulders both soothing and also confusing.

He kept touching her when least expected. She wondered if it was a wolf thing. She knew they were quite tactile. It was one of the reasons she hated being around the compound, it made her feel uncomfortable. And yet, Dayton's touch didn't. It soothed her and made her feel warm inside.

Her irritation and confusion increased and she sat forward, dislodging his hands as she pinned the Alpha with a hard gaze. "I don't need a pack of dogs to protect me. You have no right speaking to anyone on my behalf. You have no claim over me. I am not pack nor will I ever be. If Caleb has an issue with me then I will deal with it personally."

She turned her head to look back at Dayton, her irritation increasing at the amused expression on his face. "I don't need you to defend me either," she bit out.

"But it feels good, doesn't it?" he countered, his smile never faltering as she glared at him.

She had no intention of letting him know just how good it felt. And she was annoyed her displeasure was only making him smile more. He had to know that when he smiled his entire face lit up and he became even more gorgeous, more sexy and desirable. He was baiting her deliberately.

"Whether or not you feel you need our protection is a moot point," Rafe said quietly. "You have it so deal with it. Now I need to have a private word with Dayton. I'm sure your family is anxious to catch up. Just try and stay out of any trouble that will make my life too difficult, Freya. I know you won't be able to resist completely but if you could keep it down to the minimum I'd appreciate it."

It was so clearly a dismissal that she could only gape at him again in complete shock. For a moment she seriously considered doing some bodily harm to the wolf and then Dayton's hands once more circled her waist and she went rigid with shock when he spun her around and kissed her soundly in front of the Alpha.

It wasn't a brief kiss by any means. It was hot, passionate and stole the breath out of her body so she had to cling onto him limply to stop her knees from buckling.

"Remember what Nors said," he whispered against her lips. "Let Ashleigh down gently. She cares about you and only wants to help you. Don't throw it in her face."

She swallowed hard, staring into his dark blue eyes, fascinated by the light she saw dancing within their depths. Her confusion increased but her irritation soothed greatly as he held her close. She wanted to promise him the world in that moment, anything so she could see his eyes dancing with such merriment.

It was hard to pull herself out of his arms, hard to nod her head in acquiescence to the Alpha, but she did it for Dayton, because it would make him happy. "I will contain myself," she answered grudgingly turning and walking out of the room as quickly as she could.

"You've given yourself a tough task," Rafe commented as the door closed and Dayton took the seat Freya had vacated. "And me the worst headache ever. She's a lot of hard work."

Dayton met his Alpha's gaze squarely. He knew the other man was aware that he was claiming Freya as his mate. Despite his words he didn't appear to be as worried as he made out. "She's worth it," he answered firmly. "You were hard on her." It was an accusation even though it was said calmly.

"She needs softness from her mate, discipline from her Alpha. I won't apologise for it. She understands strength, values it. She'll give me no respect until she comes to see me as deserving of it."

He had a valid point. Dayton was forced to concede that, even if he disliked the way Rafe spoke to her. When he mated with Freya the Alpha bond would snap in place instantly. She would truly become pack and if she didn't respect Rafe then it would cause problems.

"Was this what you wished to speak to me about?" He didn't know Rafe well as a person, though he was aware he was a good Alpha from all Aaron and Cedar had told him. He was sure he had questions that he wanted to ask him about finding a second mate. It happened so rarely that it was classed as something special when it did.

Rafe laughed loudly. "No, though it has piqued my curiosity," he admitted. "Second matings are something to be celebrated though your choice could have been a little less volatile."

He held up his hand when Dayton opened his mouth the protest. "Don't get me wrong. I have no ill feelings towards Freya. She has my eternal gratitude for doing the impossible, bringing you home to us. She will make pack life lively but she is fiercely protective of those she loves. We are strengthened by her addition and that is always a good thing."

"Then what did you want to talk to me about?" Dayton was confused. He couldn't think what his Alpha would need him for when there was so many other strong members of the pack to do his bidding.

Rafe frowned deeply and ran a hand through his hair. "Certain revelations have come to light since you've been gone. I can't speak of them directly but I can say they are staggering. You know about the children. I'm assuming Rayne told you everything as you're so close. I need to know where she is. We need her guidance in how best to deal with the abilities the children are displaying. Do you know where she is?"

It was Dayton's turn to frown at the mention of his friend. He'd come back to the compound expecting her to be there. If Rafe was looking for her too then he had no idea where she would be. She never revealed where she stayed when she was in town.

"I don't know," he admitted, concern creeping into his voice. "I spoke to her earlier and could tell something was wrong. It's why we came back, so I could talk to her. I thought she would be here."

"No one's seen her. She vanished the day Caleb and Annie came home. I believe Gard knows something though what it is I have no idea. He won't speak to anyone about it, not even Annie."

"Gard?" Dayton had never heard the name before. He knew who Caleb and Annie were, everyone did. This other man was a surprise though.

"He's a friend of my sister's," Rafe answered carefully. "An Ancient vampire; with some skills that appear to be similar to the children. I don't know much about him except he's been watching over the pack for a few years. I believe he's had some contact with Rayne since she's been here. I suspect possibly a romantic entanglement though I have no confirmation of that."

Rayne...bedding a vampire? The thought was so absurd that Dayton almost burst out laughing. And then he thought of himself. If anyone had told him a month ago he would be claiming a vampire as his mate he would have died laughing.

Lord, had Rayne found her own mate in this Gard? Was that why she felt the need to run? She didn't liked being caged in anyway. He could understand her flight instincts kicking in to some degree but she was smart enough to know she couldn't run from the mate bond. There had to be some other reason she was running.

"She was talking about moving on, Rafe. She may already have done so. Rayne is searching for something. I don't think she even knows what it is but it's a compulsion within her. For a moment I thought she had found it here but something's spooked her. When she shadows herself no one can find her. I don't even know how to begin tracking her down if she doesn't want to be found."

Rafe sighed deeply and leaned forward on the desk. "I know one man who can," he said quietly. "If she remains in human form. Gard at least told us that much. Apparently if she shifts to her panther and then shadows herself she drops off even his radar. Caleb can see through her abilities too but he won't leave Annie's side at the moment. I guess our only option is to ask Gard to try and track her."

"But if he's the one she's running from she'll revert to panther and slip away," Dayton argued. "Let me try to find her. She trusts me, cares about me, maybe enough that she won't leave without coming to see me one last time."

The Alpha considered for a moment and then nodded. "It's not just the pack that needs her, Dayton. She needs us too. Try and convince her of that."

He nodded and stood up, anxious to find Freya before he went looking for Rayne.

"Oh, and Dayton, let me know when you're ready to officially accept the position of Beta within the pack."

Rafe's parting words had his head turning back, a slight feeling of unease flowing over him. His Alpha appeared certain that he would be staying. He acknowledged that finding his mate in Freya was a step closer to coming home for good. He just didn't know if she could survive being part of a pack.

JazCullen
JazCullen
6,496 Followers