A Long Walk Home Ch. 20

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He'd studiously avoided Connor since he'd arrived at the compound...well he hadn't actually had to make that much of an effort to avoid his eldest brother he had to admit to himself. He'd been a little tied up with his new mate and new responsibilities within the pack. It had been relatively simple to be somewhere else whenever Connor showed up at the main house.

His brother had appeared to sense his unwillingness to interact with him and had given him a wide berth too. Possibly Aaron or Cedar had said something to him, convincing him to stay away until Dayton was ready to face him.

His siblings so far had accepted him back into their lives as if he'd never been gone but to have to face his parents...to have to look into his mother's eyes and see the pain he'd caused her. It was suddenly too much for him and his steps faltered before he reached the door as he came to a stand still bringing Freya up short beside him.

Freya turned to look up at her mate and saw complete panic on his face. Up until that moment she had been fighting her own inner demons, railing silently about being forced into the situation of having to meet her new in-laws and be 'nice' to them.

The thought was total anathema to her and she'd been struggling hard to do this for her mate even though deep down she was afraid that they wouldn't accept her into their family and he would be hurt by their rejection. She didn't care if they hated her personally all she cared about was how Dayton felt.

Now she stared up into blue eyes so filled with fear her heart almost broke to see the expression on his strong face. No one had the right to make him doubt himself like this, she didn't care who it was. He had done what he'd needed to do to survive a loss of unimaginable proportions and that was all there was to it.

Stiffening her spine she gripped his hand tightly and shrugged off her own concerns about the upcoming meeting. "I will protect you, Dayton. You do not stand alone. I won't allow anyone to hurt you ever again."

Her fierce words and equally fierce expression startled him and he smoothed out his expression as a warm feeling flooded through him and he realised how pointless it was to hide from what had to be faced.

"I know that, honey," he sighed softly wrapping his arms around her and stealing a deep kiss to settle his nerves. "I'm just being silly worrying about seeing the family again. I know they love me. Just as I know this isn't easy for you either."

He was amazed at how strong she was being about this meeting, having only argued for half an hour before she'd finally conceded to go. Nors had told him that when Freya didn't want to do something, she could rail for weeks on end before finally giving in. He'd been smugly impressed with himself that he'd managed to defeat her objections so quickly.

"I will adapt," she smiled against his lips, her sweet scent soothing him as only she could.

"Then there's no putting this off," he sighed again. "Rafe doesn't think the Hanlon pack will come under attack but it is better being safe than sorry." He couldn't keep the slight unease out of his voice. Only Connor and Brody lived at the Hanlon compound but the rest of the family would be there today because he knew Connor would have called them and told them he would be coming.

Taking a deep breath Dayton opened the door and stepped out of the Alpha's house. There were two Jeeps parked just outside. His eyes automatically went to his eldest brother who was leaning against the hood of the first Jeep, arms crossed nonchalantly as he chatted with Aaron who was standing just in front of him. Cedar was sitting beside him on the hood, smiling up at him as he talked.

Dayton's breath froze in his body as Connor's head turned slowly towards the open door, his pale blue eyes seeking and finding his unerringly. His eyes took in every minute detail of the ruggedly handsome man with shaggy blond hair and intimidating physique. This was the sibling he had known the longest, they had been born together, the first of the Alexander children.

He couldn't judge what his brother was thinking because his expression was closely guarded as his gaze flicked from Dayton to Freya who was holding his hand so tightly he knew he was going to bruise. Appreciation flared in Connor's eyes and a slow smile curved his lips.

"Well, now I understand why you were locked in your room all this time, Day," he finally drawled softly. "Having a beauty like that hanging off a man's arm is more than enough reason to go AWOL. Kind of crushed it wasn't because you were shit scared about seeing me again, though."

There was more than a hint of teasing in his voice and Dayton felt some of the tension leaving his body. Connor was...well he was just Connor, usually laid back and friendly though quick to blow his temper when riled. That he was relaxed said a lot about how he felt about seeing his younger brother returned from his self-imposed exile.

He watched him push away from the Jeep and saunter over. When he got close enough he raised a meaty clenched fist and Freya stiffened at his side instantly expecting some form of attack.

Dayton couldn't stop his lips from curving into a smile at his mate's protectiveness even when it wasn't warranted. He squeezed her hand gently before releasing it and knocking his fist hard against Connor's. They had always greeted each other like that, ever since they were young boys. It was Connor's way of telling him that nothing had changed in his eyes.

His brother reached for him and pulled him into a tight bear hug, pounding his back hard. "Good to have you back, Day." As always Connor kept words to the minimum when feeling emotional. His words were short but the emotion within them conveyed everything he wanted to say.

He pulled back and regarded Freya intently for a long moment and then presented her with his fist. She stared at him blankly for a second and then repeated what she'd witnessed her mate do. She banged fists with the blond wolf wondering if this was some weird wolf ritual she wasn't aware of.

Connor winced loudly, shaking his fist in the air as the vampire almost pulverised his knuckles into dust. "Hot damn!" he muttered through clenched teeth. "I've got to get me one of these female vamps. You got any single friends, darling?"

Freya stiffened first in mortification for hitting the wolf too hard judging from his pained expression and hoarse voice, then from confusion at the way the easy endearment flowed from his lips directed towards her. She was accepting of the way Dayton spoke to her because he was her mate but this man was a stranger to her.

Swallowing down her initial reaction which was to hit the wolf again only harder this time, she carefully controlled her expression as she counted to ten to cool her temper. "I don't have friends and even if I did I'd be surprised if any of them would be interested in a wolf."

If she'd thought her cool words would somehow crush the man before her it only brought a dazzling smile which was so unexpected she turned to look up at Dayton in confusion.

"Feisty as well as strong," Connor chuckled. "You lucked out, little bro. Pity she doesn't have any friends. Though don't suppose that really matters now she's got us."

"Don't let Connor ruffle your feathers, Freya," Cedar called out from her perch on the car hood. "He likes to think he's a lady killer when really he's a big teddy bear deep inside."

"Dial it down a notch, Con," Dayton said quietly, his arm keeping Freya firmly at his side to stop her from fleeing. Getting a blast of the Alexander clan so full on was maybe a step too far for his usually solitary mate.

Connor instantly looked repentant, picking up on his brother's concern and taking a step back. He smiled gently. "No offence meant, Freya. I'm just trying to say thank you for bring Day home to us. I didn't get hit much with the sensitivity stick when I was born and didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable."

His words were so sincere, his expression so downcast, that she couldn't help relaxing against Dayton's side as she finally worked out that the big gruff male in front of her was trying to welcome her into his family in the same way he related to his brother. She was quite astounded that he felt she was so much a part of the Alexanders that he was willing to treat her on an equal footing as her mate. Maybe meeting the rest of them wouldn't be so bad after all, if they were all so ready to accept her as Connor was.

"None taken," she finally said, straightening up. "I am still adapting to your pack ways but it's getting easier. Did I hurt your hand badly?" She noticed he was still holding it rather gingerly at his side.

"Broke my knuckles." He grinned at her horrified expression. "It's all cool, they're healing just fine. Will be good as new in another couple of minutes. You pack a mean punch."

Freya's eyes swung to Dayton's to see what his reaction was to her breaking his brother's hand. He was grinning widely, pride shining in his eyes which totally confused the hell out of her. She had the distinct impression she would always be walking a tightrope of confusion around the Alexander family. Before she could apologise to Connor his phone went off and he groaned deeply.

"That will be Ma again or Willow. I swear they've been calling or texting every ten minutes for the last couple of hours." He put on a high pitch voice. "Have you left yet?" he mimicked before he answered the call.

"Willow, we're just leaving now," he grumbled. "I was just saying hi to Freya and then we're heading out. We'll be there in an hour or so."

He paused and listened to his youngest sister for a moment and then grinned at Dayton. "Nah, he hasn't dyed his silver. Looks older than me now but hell, he's always wanted to be the eldest and he'll do anything to achieve it. Now get off the phone so we can make tracks. And tell Ma not to call or text again. I'll be driving."

He hung up muttering "Women!" under his breath. "You ready to hit the road, Day?" His question was asked lightly but there was concern in his gaze as he looked at his brother. He knew Dayton was worried about facing the rest of the family. He'd done his best to ease him, had even let his vampire break his knuckles as a way to metaphorically 'break the ice'. He wondered if he'd done enough.

"No time like the present," Dayton said firmly, feeling a lot more relaxed because of his brother's easy acceptance of not only him but Freya. Connor was letting him know he had his back, just as Cedar and Aaron's presence to see him off was their way of showing him they were there to support him.

He tugged Freya towards the cars, releasing her long enough accept Cedar's hug. He wrapped his arms around her tightly, grateful for her love and support.

"The family's just excited to have Dayton home," Cedar said to Freya as she stepped out of her brother's arms. She didn't attempt to hug but her eyes were warm as she smiled at the vampire. "We're a bit on the tactile side but don't be afraid to ask for some space if it makes you uncomfortable. No one will be offended."

"Ma might completely ignore that request," Aaron laughed as he slapped Dayton hard on the shoulder before grinning at Freya. "Try and cut her some slack though. She's been missing her baby for a long time and a second mating is a truly amazing occurrence. She'll most likely want to hug a lot."

Freya could feel panic start to build up inside her at the prospect of strangers touching her as if they had the right to do so. She just wasn't accustomed to the amount of tactile contact she envisioned happening. She looked to Dayton for help and saw his brows drawn down in concern.

She also saw longing in his gaze, as if he was suddenly desperate to be back in the warmth of his family after being so long apart from them. She could feel his emotions roiling from one end of the spectrum to the other as he tried to work out which one would take dominance.

He needed his family to finish his healing. This was his last hurdle and he needed her to be strong for him, to help him through it. She was his mate and now part of this large family who liked to smile and hug a lot.

So far she had been accepted by three of his siblings and from the way they spoke, the remainder of the Alexander clan were waiting to accept her too. If that meant she had to suffer tactile contact then she could cope with it, to help her wolf find true peace.

She gave Aaron a small smile, barely a lifting of the corner of her mouth. Despite his laughter she could see some concern in his eyes about how she would react to his other family members. She admired him for his caution. She had come to respect this brother of Dayton's having watched him for many years around the compound as he'd worked to build the pack into what it now was. He was a male of integrity, even she could see that.

"I will be gentle with your mother," she promised lightly. "She sounds a lot like Ashleigh. She's very tactile too." Her tone was long-suffering but there was a faint trace of amusement in it.

Aaron smiled back at her, his concern melting and something like pride glowing in his eyes. "We'll make a wolf out of you yet, Freya."

"I'd rather die first," she drawled softly before turning away to hide her amusement as he burst out laughing. Yes, she could do this for Dayton. The Alexanders weren't too bad...for wolves.

Connor bid farewell to his bother and sister and jumped into the first Jeep just as his phone rang again. Freya heard his muttered curse as she climbed into the passenger seat of the second one.

"Ma, I told Willow to tell you not to call again! We're on our way..."

She closed the door and turned to Dayton as he climbed in and started the engine. "Your family are overpowering, wolf. I expect you to make this up to me, big time!"

Smoky heat danced in her mate's eyes as he leaned down and gave her a slow lingering kiss. "How does me licking every inch of your delectable skin before I slide deep inside you and ride you hard until you scream my name in bliss sound?"

"Dayton!" Liquid heat immediately flooded her body at his husky words, images of the way he'd done just that the night before coming sharply to the fore. "You are so going to pay for that, wolf," she growled pushing away and facing forward as he laughed and heading out of the compound after his brother.

Dayton couldn't help feeling happy as he headed towards the Hanlon compound. He was so damned proud of Freya and the way she was working hard to accept his family. He knew she was making this huge effort for him and he adored her for it.

His earlier disquiet about facing his parents and remaining siblings was now just a small bubble of unease rather than the full on panic it had been earlier. He was starting to feel confident that it wasn't going to be as bad as he'd imagined. Even if it was he had his vampire beside him and he could face anything as long as he had her at his side.

He stole glances at Freya as they drove in a companionable silence. She worried at her bottom lip from time to time and then she straightened her shoulders as if mentally talking to herself, convincing herself that she could do this. He knew she could, he had complete faith in her.

One day she would have that same belief in herself and the Alexander family were going to teach her that in the only way they knew how. They were going to bully her into submission with all the love they had inside them.

He was so lost in his internal musing that they were pulling into the Hanlon compound before he realised they'd covered the distance between the two packs. There was such a feeling of familiarity about being back. This was where he had lived with Faith, where he had grown up with his family and friends.

There was a sense of coming home to a certain degree because it had been such an integral part of his life but it didn't feel like home any more, not like the Armand-Hanlon pack did.

Connor pulled up outside the Alpha's house and Dayton came to a stop behind him. He'd parked level with a beautiful bronze statue of a wolf reaching for the moon and a sense of loss quickly flooded through him. He knew this was Brody's work, recognised the love and attention to detail of his brother's technique. He also knew this was the memorial that had been raised for the pack members lost all those years ago when the vampires had attacked.

Silently he climbed out of the Jeep, barely aware of Freya automatically coming to his side as he stared at the wolf with its head raised to the sky. This was where David had died, where a whole family, bar one fragile young girl, had perished on a night so long ago when he had been continents away. This was where he had lost his second family, when he had been so lost himself, incapable of mourning what had once been so precious to him.

His hand shook as he reached out and touched the wolf, silent tears falling down his face as he connected with the bronze. He bowed his head and closed his eyes, grief shuddering through his body. "Forgive me."

"There is nothing to forgive," Jared Hanlon said quietly coming to stand on the other side of the man he had fought so hard to save half a century before. "Your presence here would not have changed a single thing, Dayton. They gave their lives to protect the pack and they did it with honour and bravery. Not one of them would ever want you to blame yourself for something that was out of your control."

Dayton let the Alpha's word bring him some level of comfort but he knew that it would take some time to fully believe him. He wiped at his tears as he turned to face the man he held so much respect for. He met blue eyes that were a shade darker than his own. They were full of respect and relief and he felt a sense of closure wash over him as he regarded his old Alpha. This man had done so much for him over his life that he would never be able to fully repay him.

"Thank you, Jared."

Jared smiled widely reaching out to give him a huge bear hug and pound his back hard. "It's so good to have you back, Dayton. I could string Rafe up for stealing you from me but something tells me you fit better there than you would here now."

He glanced at Freya and gave her a nod. He was used to the vampire being standoffish with him so didn't expect much from her by way of greeting. She tended to be rather curt when they met at the other compound. Still, he smiled at her because she was the godsend that had come along and brought Dayton back to them. She would always have his respect and gratitude for that.

"Welcome to the Hanlon compound, Freya. I believe this is your first visit here. You have free passage to come and go as you please and our gratitude for sticking around for a few days just in case we have any unwelcome visitors."

Freya slipped into Dayton's arms as the Alpha realised him from his bear hug. She had been at a loss at what to do as her mate had shed tears for those he had lost from this pack. She had hesitated to hold him in case it was the wrong thing to do with so many wolves in her peripheral vision. Jared Hanlon had known what to do, what to say to ease her mate's hurt and she was thankful for that.

She nodded her head in his direction. "Thank you, Jared. I will try not to abuse your hospitality too much. No vampire will harm a Were in this compound while I am here."

Her words came out sounding slightly stiff and formal but the look of outright shock which crossed the Alpha's face was instantly gratifying. Freya's lips quirked slightly as she took in his stunned expression at her civility. Maybe being 'nice' wasn't so bad after all. She could have just as much fun keeping the wolves on their toes by being reasonable than she could by snarling at them.

A light pat on her backside had her attention turning to her mate who had raised an eyebrow in her direction.