A Love Defined Ch. 02

Story Info
Landon and Kyla learn more about each other.
9.6k words
4.55
24.3k
23

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 10/27/2022
Created 07/19/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Landon and Kyla arrived at the hospital in just enough time to find out from the nurses at the nurses' station that her aunt was being prepped for a C-section. Kyla's heart nearly sank at the news.

She had talked to her aunt throughout her entire pregnancy and knew she would only agree to such a procedure if it were absolutely necessary. Landon saw the worry in Kyla's face and put his arm around her giving her a reassuring squeeze.

"Why don't you go on back and see them before they take them back to surgery. The nurse said there was still plenty of time," he told her. "I will wait for you in the waiting room."

Kyla was thoughtful for a moment, the worry still evident on her face before she nodded and headed towards Iris' room. She looked back to see Landon was still there watching her and he gave her an encouraging smile.

When she reached the room, she heard her aunt and uncle talking and knocked gently before opening the door all the way. "Aunt Iris? Uncle Cal?" She timidly entered the room and saw her aunt lying down on her side and her uncle seated next to her holding her hand.Kyla released the breath she'd been holding and moved closer to greet them.

"Kyla," Iris smiled and beckoned her to come inside. "Sweetie, it's so good to see you." Calvin rose and moved to the side allowing her access to his wife.

Kyla reached out for Iris' hand and kissed her on the cheek. Even in the middle of labor, she still looked beautiful. Iris' dark curls were pulled into a loose ponytail and her cocoa brown skin radiated from her motherly glow.

"How are you doing," she squeezed her aunt's hand between her own as she sat down.

"Baby, I'm going to be fine and so is our little one. He or she is just being a little stubborn," Iris smiled at her reassuringly. "I don't want you to worry about anything, okay?"

Kyla gave her a hug and promised her she wouldn't worry all the while with Calvin studying the exchange between the two of them. He noticed how much different Iris seemed to be now that she'd seen her niece. It was evident their bond was just as strong as his was with Kyla. In that moment, he realized how vital his niece was to their family unit. Calvin had always put so much effort into making sure Kyla felt part of them, but he really hadn't needed to.

"You know I missed you too," Calvin interjected. Kyla smiled and turned her attention to her uncle giving a big hug. They embraced for a moment and emotion filled the room. Iris felt herself get teary at their reunion. With the exception of height, the two were almost identical. Kyla had inherited so many of Calvin's features from his hair color and skin tone to his temperament. They were two peas in a pod and it was only right they be back together once again. It had been difficult for Calvin to miss her graduation because of his work obligations, and Iris knew how eager he was to have her home again.

"It's really good to see you guys," she pulled away slightly and tried to contain her tears of joy. "I just didn't want to wait a whole day. I hope you don't mind."

"Don't be silly," Iris told her. "We are so glad you came by." Kyla was about to speak when the nurse came in to tell them it was time to go. She gave her aunt one last hug and moved with her uncle towards the door.

"Is Landon waiting for you," Calvin asked as they stepped into the hallway.

"Yes," she answered. "I guess he could see how concerned I was."

"Landon is a very smart man," he stated more to himself than her. "Please tell him I said thank you and I will give him a call tomorrow. Get home safe and call me if you need anything." Calvin looked her directly in the eye.

"I promise I will," she assured him. "Will you call me when-"

"You will be the first person I dial." He said interrupting her. Kyla gave him one last hug before heading back to the waiting room.

Landon saw Kyla enter the doorway noticing the lines of concerned had disappeared from her face. She searched out the crowded room and finally their eyes met. They moved closer towards each other and met near the middle of the room.

"How'd it go," he stuffed his hands in his jeans pockets.

"I can't thank you enough for bringing me here," she beamed. "She's going to be fine. The nurse just wheeled them back to the operating room, and Uncle Cal told me he would call me as soon as he or she gets here."

"No thanks necessary," Landon waved off her words. "Did you want to stay and wait or do you want to go home? I am happy to do either."

"I really am pretty tired," she told him. "Between the traveling today and worrying myself crazy, I really would like to relax at home."

"Then home it is," he placed his hand on the small of her back and led her outside towards the hospital exit.

The sun had set completely and the soft breeze of the night air felt good blowing through her hair. There was a comfortable silence between them as Landon drove her back home. And it was not long before he looked over and saw that sleep had taken over.

He pulled into the driveway, turned off the engine and looked at her for a moment. So beautiful, he thought to himself. Gently, he reached across and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear which stirred her awake.

"Hey," he spoke softly to her.

"Hi," she stretched and looked around realizing they were back at the house. "Sorry I dozed off on you."

"Don't apologize. After the day you've had, I think you're entitled to be a little sleepy." His smile with that dimple made her stomach flutter.

"Today was definitely emotionally eventful," she agreed. "I can rest though now at least until Uncle Cal calls."

"Will you do me a favor and let me know how everything turns out," he asked.

"Definitely. Oh I almost forgot Uncle Cal asked me to tell you that he said thank you and he was going to call you tomorrow." He nodded his understanding.

Kyla retrieved her house keys from her purse and continued. "I'm going to let you get your rest as well and I will call you a little later."

"Wait, I'll walk you to the door." He got out and came around to her passenger side just as she opened the door and offered his hand to help her down.

It wasn't until they reached the door that he let her hand go. She opened the door and was grateful to find the soft light of the lamp on the foyer table illuminating the hall.

"I guess this is goodnight," she felt a slight twinge at having to leave Landon's company. Landon nodded and pulled her into a hug. Kyla reveled in the feeling of his strong arms around her and the smell of his cologne intoxicated her.

She pulled back from him enough to look up and into his eyes. She couldn't understand why it was so comfortable to be so close to him. Kyla had never before experienced such ease with any other man, but Landon melted away all of her inhibitions. It just felt good and right to be with him.

The look in her eyes gave him the approval he needed and he leaned down to claim her lips again. This time, his touch was not as hesitant and soft as it had been earlier that evening nor was her response as timid.

Kyla was ready to feel him again and accepted his tongue's probe of her mouth. She explored him as well and he moaned at her touch. She ran her fingers through his hair pulling him closer to her. Landon gently nibbled her lower lip and then sucked it into his mouth. Kyla felt her nipples harden and a pool had formed in her panties.

Her brain was no longer functioning and it was Landon who ultimately pulled back to end the kiss.

His desire for Kyla was beyond anything he'd ever experienced with any other woman.

However, he was not interested in some romp in the sack, and she deserved better than that from him. Taking things slow was what he had said before and he would stick to his word.

"I better get going and let you get your rest," he told her huskily. She nodded her understanding but he could read the disappointment on her face even though she smiled. "Trust me, I don't want to go."

"I know," she said softly.

Landon ran his index finger along her jaw. She closed her eyes at the feel of his touch. "Call me when you hear something."

He released his hold on her and walked back towards his truck. Kyla leaned against the door frame and watched as he drove away. A smile spread across her face as she reflected on the events of her day. She went about the task of locking up the house and then headed to her bedroom to get ready for bed.

She turned the ringer on high and placed the phone on her nightstand. It was sure to wake her when her uncle called. She stripped out of her clothes and changed into a tank top and a pair of matching pajama shorts. In a matter of minutes after climbing into bed, she was fast asleep.

*****

All the lights were off at Landon's house when he pulled into his garage. He entered the kitchen and flipped on the light finding only silence to greet him. Grabbing a bottled water from the fridge, he moved into the great room and turned on the TV. Resting his head against the back of the couch, he let his thoughts drift back to Kyla and the events of his afternoon.

He couldn't remember the last time he had enjoyed being around someone as much as he had enjoyed her. He hadn't been sure what to expect when meeting her, but she was definitely intriguing.

His thoughts were interrupted by the buzz of his cell phone in his pocket. He frowned when he realized it was a text from Tara Mills. She worked as one of the recruiters with Human Resources and they'd met while working at a job fair.

What had started as a friendly lunch meeting from time to time had turned into a late night working dinner with too much wine and poor judgment. The sex was incredible, but he was certain that was all there could ever be between them.

The morning after, they both seemed to realize their mistake and had mutually agreed it was best to keep things platonic. Luckily, an assignment had required a six week commitment in the field and that had helped a great deal in keeping things from getting awkward between them.

After his return, however, he'd noticed she was texting asking if they could meet for drinks or randomly calling. Someone had obviously tipped her off to his return.

They didn't even work in the same building, so there would have been no way for her to know his whereabouts otherwise. At any rate, he just wasn't interested. Not bothering to even read the message, he deleted it and put his phone back in his pocket.

His career had been extremely demanding in the past, and it had been next to impossible to have anything lasting with anyone. Perhaps with Kyla having the same work demands, they would have a better chance of at least getting past two dates.

Admittedly, Landon had used his job to keep many prospects at bay, but that made for a very lonely existence. All he'd had up to that point were a series of flings and a few one night stands. He reasoned with himself that was all he could offer to anyone. The truth was that was all he had ever been willing to offer. He'd never tried anything else and maybe it was time he did.

*****

Landon hadn't realized he'd been asleep for as long as he had until the shrill sound of his cell phone woke him up. He surveyed his surroundings and realized he was still on the couch. The show that had been on before was now replaced with some infomercial about an exercise program. He looked at the caller id and recognized Kyla's number. "Hey you," he answered sleepily.

"Hi Landon, sorry if I woke you," her voice was like music to his ears.

"It's okay. I am guessing you heard from Calvin." He got up from his place on the couch and headed upstairs for his bedroom.

"Yes, I did," she beamed. "It's a boy 8lbs, 6oz. Kendall James Redford. Both mommy and baby are doing fine."

"That's great news, Sweetheart," Landon told her. "What do you say we celebrate with breakfast in the morning?"

Kyla smiled through the phone at his offer. "I have an even better idea. Why don't you come over and I will make you breakfast in the morning? Uncle Cal came home, grabbed a change of clothes and pretty much told me I'm on my own until Sunday. I could use the company, and I promise I'm a great cook."

"You don't have to ask me twice," Landon replied. They arranged to meet in the morning and said their goodbyes both eagerly anticipating what was to come.

*****

The next day, Kyla got up, showered and unpacked the rest of her bags in record time. Years of practice at moving around had made her a pro. By the time she finished, there was a little under two hours left before Landon arrived for their breakfast date.

It was plenty of time to prepare and bake her aunt's breakfast casserole and French toast bake. The only thing she was missing was orange juice. Quickly she prepared the casserole and the pastry knowing it would take about an hour to bake them both. She put them in the double oven and then went to find the keys to her car in the garage for a quick store run.

She located the keys on the small hook just as her uncle had advised and she studied the symbol for Mercedes on the smartkey and sighed. Guilt was eating away at her. She didn't want to be ungrateful. 'Maybe this is the only way he knows how to love me,' she thought to herself holding back the tears forming in her eyes.

She blinked them away refusing to feel sorry for herself. Opening the leading out to the garage, Kyla found a new silver C300 Mercedes in the last stall of her uncle's 3 car garage. The new smell permeated throughout the space and she gave a half smile as she walked over to it and climbed inside.

Her uncle had told her he'd programmed her garage door opener and she tested the small button overhead. Sure enough, the overhead door in front of her opened. Her jaunt to the store and back was done within ten minutes, which wasn't so bad considering she was still trying to learn her way around all of the buttons inside the car.

After setting the table and starting a fresh pot of coffee, she decided to change outfits. Something about being around Landon made her want to feel feminine, so she opted for a tea length pink cotton sundress with spaghetti straps, a pair of matching flip flops and silver hoops and bangle bracelets. She pulled her hair into a messy bun leaving some of the soft tendrils to fall into her face giving her a romantic, natural look.

After she completed her once over in the bathroom mirror, she returned to the kitchen and carefully removed both the casserole and the pastry from the oven to allow them to cool. As a finishing touch, she made a fruit medley of strawberries, melon chunks, pineapple and grapes that she placed on the table as well. With everything in place, now she could relax a bit before her guest arrived.

The doorbell rang a few minutes later and Kyla felt that familiar flutter in her stomach. As soon as she opened the door, she felt the moisture pooling at the juncture of her thighs. Landon was wearing a yellow polo and cargo shorts showing his well toned and muscular legs. He looked amazing.

He gave her a wide grin that showed off his dimple and she couldn't help but return it. "Good morning, beautiful," he smiled and bent down to greet her with a peck on the cheek.

He smelled of sandalwood and Kyla felt as though she could get lost in his scent.

"Good morning," she replied. "I hope you're hungry." She led him towards the kitchen and offered him a seat at the table. "Would you like some coffee?"

"Yeah, that would be great. Thank you," he told her as he got situated at the table.

She poured them both a cup of coffee and directed him to the cream and sugar bowl in front of him. She went to the stove and returned with the casserole first and then the baked pastry. All of the smells made Landon's stomach grumble. He watched her skillfully cut a square of the casserole and then the French toast bake for each of them.

"I hope you like it," she smiled across the table.

He took a bite of the casserole and savored its flavors and textures. There was egg, cheese and sausage along with onion and mushrooms from what he could tell. "Wow, this really is good. Where did you learn to cook like this?"

Kyla beamed. "Aunt Iris taught me everything I know. But, I do like to experiment in the kitchen. Cooking and baking relaxes me," she said.

"Well, you're very good at it," he told her. "On weekends, when I'm home, I like to dabble a little in the kitchen too. You really learn to appreciate home cooked meals when you're on the road all the time. I can make most of my mom's recipes but it's nothing like the real thing."

Kyla was thoughtful about his words. It reminded her of her own sentiments about her own mother. She wasn't sure if her mother even knew where the kitchen was in her house. As much as she told herself it didn't matter, the truth was that there was a longing for a home with her own mother and father. She didn't want to take away from what she felt for Calvin and Iris, but she wanted to belong and matter to the people that brought her into the world.

Kyla pushed her thoughts away. It wasn't often that she got to spend time with someone she really enjoyed being with, and there was no use wasting time thinking about things out of her control.

"So Landon," she decided to change the subject. "Uncle Cal was telling me I should ask you about some of your experiences as a first year adjuster. He said you had quite a few stories to tell," she took another bite and gave him an amused look.

"Well judging from that smile on your face, it seems like he may have already told you some of my war stories," Landon laughed. "They are pretty funny now, but not so much then, believe me."

"I can only imagine," she said pouring herself another cup of coffee and gesturing to him as well. "Would you like some?" Landon nodded as he took another bit of the pastry. Everything tasted wonderful and it was much lighter of a breakfast than it appeared to be.

"You will get to hear quite a few of them over the next couple of weeks in training," he told her. "I teach three of the training courses you will have in the first two weeks."

"Cool, then I will get to see you" she said happily. "I didn't know you were an instructor for the program too. How do you like doing that?"

"I like it a lot actually," Landon admitted. "I never really saw myself as a teacher per se, but amazingly I feel more comfortable in front of the classroom than I do in the field. And I have every intention of seeing you as often as possible, if you are ok with that."

"Yes, I would like that very much," she said softly. She was sure her fair complexion was once again betraying her judging from the warmth she felt on her cheeks.

After they finished breakfast, Landon helped Kyla clear the table and straighten up the kitchen before leaving for the hospital.

"You can drive," she said handing him the keys to her car as they exited the front door. He accepted the keys and opened her door for her. "Thank you." She smiled as she got in.

"Calvin called me this morning and asked me if I would go by his office and pick up a few files for him and bring them by when I came to the hospital," Landon told her as he climbed in next to her. "Would you like a quick tour office?"

"Yeah, sure," she replied.

While they drove to the office, Landon pointed out a few more sites along the way. Kyla noticed there were some condos about halfway between her uncle's house and the office. She made a mental note of the name on the sign and decided to stop by there in the upcoming week. She hadn't discussed her plans to move out with her aunt and uncle yet, but she was certain they would understand her need for her own space.

Kyla wanted something that belonged to her and that she could always return to no matter what when she had to go away. Besides, her aunt and uncle would have their hands full with the new baby and they needed their privacy as much as she needed hers.