A Maid's Tail Ch. 08: The Next Week

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She should have been proud she'd become so organized that she could pull it all together at the same time she avoided Sylvia by sound alone. But with every passing second Kim knew dinner was drawing closer and she'd have to face the woman- and then there was Elliot. She'd have to face him and explain herself.

There had been times when she was almost late, but nothing like this. How was he going to react?

"Stop it," Kim muttered to herself while she crept up the stairs with the folded laundry. She was fifteen minutes late, it wasn't the end of the world. Yet there was something inside her that told her it was her being late that had not only upset Sylvia, but might actually upset Elliot as well. . .

And so it went: she put the clothes away and slunk back to the kitchen to finish her nightly preparations for the McKennas. A hearty meal of chicken and greens spiced with a dash of paprika and wine that- if her Internet research hadn't let her down- was going to accent the bite with something smooth and warm.

Her hands shook a little as she set the bottle on ice to chill. Another quick look through her meal plan said she was as prepared as she could be and yet something felt slightly off, slightly wrong. Like she was missing something. That damned nagging sensation she was screwing eventhisup. Surely she hadn't becomethatincompetent over her weekend, had she?

No. It was dinner for crying out loud, she could master that much, at least. Kim took a moment to smooth out her uniform, drawing herself to her full height and tightening the bow that kept her apron wrapped around her waist-- even if she had screwed something up, she could face it with some kind of pride. It was what was expected of her, after all.

That pride didn't last too long when Sylvia made her appearance with paint tinting her fingertips an array of colors and a scowl that made them as ugly as mud. She was headed upstairs when she paused and looked to the table, then the front door. "He hasn't come home yet?"

A brief flash of panic surged through Kim as she stared at the woman like a deer in the headlights. "Ahm-" was as far as she got before the mistress of the house bounded up the stairs, muttering something that sounded like Spanish. Spanish and profanity.

Technically, Kim was supposed to stay for dinner to tend any needs that her clients might have had, but some part of her sung that the smart people got going when the getting was good. Yet, when she considered it the idea actually bothered her; Sylvia looked genuinely upset and wasn't that also part of her job? To satisfy her clients? To say nothing of it being the decent thing to do. . .

She could do this."Deep breath."

Kim edged up to the banister, opened her mouth to call out, stopped sharply when she heard the driveway gravel crunch and a flicker of headlights sweep the house. Saved by the proverbial bell, the older maid stepped back from the hall and clasped her hands in front of her in the way she'd remembered from her research.

Polite. Demure. Welcoming. She could be that for her master, couldn't she?

Yes. Dammit, she could be the best damn maid anyone had ever seen. Kim straightened her shoulders and dampened her lips in preparation. The sound of a truck door opening and closing gave her the warning she needed. Quick check: uniform pleated nicely. Hands clasped. Smiling- can't forget the smile- and shoe tips facing the door.

The door opened.

Kim offered a slight bow, "Good evening, master McKenna. Welcome home."

Elliot paused in the doorway, his thirty something features running through a mess of emotions in an instant as he watched her. He was strong and well kept, the kind of man that had always set Kim's heart a little fluttery, but in that moment- and for only one beat of it- he actually seemed a little stunned by what he saw in her. He blinked and gave her a catty, knowing smile.

"Evening, Kim. Can I ask you to stay around until after dinner? I'd like a word." His voice was cool and even as it always was, with that very slight edge of someone used to getting what he wanted. The way his gaze traveled her after, punctuating his 'request' said that maybe she wasn't in as much trouble as she'd been expecting.

"O- Of course, master McKenna." Kim gave another tiny bow. "Dinner is ready whenever you are, and Sy-- The mistress of the house is upstairs."

"Thanks." Elliot paused, glancing up. He hesitated, a brief flash of something in his eyes said he wasn't in a hurry to have whatever conversation was coming up, but he met it like he'd always handled things since Kim had started working for them, with the kind of power and pride of a man who knew what he wanted in life and wasn't about to let something get in the way.

Unfortunately for Kim, it meant standing around the dining room for almost half an hour while they handled their business. When they eventually came downstairs- neither acknowledging the other or her. They ate their meal in silence, stealing unfriendly glances at one another between bites and chilling the air between them more than the wine. Kim shrunk away a little when one of them glanced her way, it was quickly apparent that it was onlybecauseof her being there that they weren't saying anything-- even if their looks conveyed far more than words could.

Should she have said something? Probably, but what? If there was such thing as a maid's code of conduct, it probably would've carefully laid out that she wasn't supposed to get in the way, but this. . . .this was a new face of her employers and it scared her.

She took their plates, cleared the table and served desert-- It may as well have been nightshade, for all the good it did to lift their spirits or break the ice between them. After he finished his meal, Elliot indicated his empty wine glass which lead Kim to filling it. Once done, she started to step back just as he rose.

"Excuse me," his tone left no room for argument. "Kim?" He lead her into the study and with an uncharacteristic 'umph' he deposited himself in the wingback chair beside the fireplace and sighed. Before Kim could open her mouth he took his chin in his hand and met her eyes. "Never get married."

"I-" she stopped herself abruptly.

"Go on."

"Uh. . . .it's not my place to speak on those things, master McKenna."

He took a sip and leaned forward, grinding his forefinger and thumb against the stem of his glass. "Come here." Elliot nodded to the floor in front of him. When Kim stepped up he leaned back and motioned to sit at his feet.

"Master McKenna?"

"Sit. Please."

Kim sunk down to her knees, keenly aware of the last time she'd done so and what it'd lead to-- a quiet thrill ran through her along side an icy dagger of uncertainty. If he had intended to do something with her to get his mind off of Sylvia. . .

But he didn't 'invite' her to do anything, instead he stroked her hair back gently and ran his finger along her jaw, lifting her chin slightly. Strong. Confident. Firm. This was the man she'd known. And that smile he gave her, that reassuring expression that shewantedto believe meant everything would be all right.

Elliot casually ran his thumb across her chin. "When you didn't show up this morning, I thought we'd scared you off."

"No, master McKenna. . ." Did she dare turn her head into his touch after what she'd seen? No. No, that would've been stupid. "I'm sorry for--"

"Shh," he chided softly. "Don't apologize. After everything, I'm just glad you're here, but this makes me wonder if you need to stay the night so we can make sure you're here in the morning." He traced her jawline softly, up to her lips . Kim knew better than to, but she parted her lips slightly to take the tip of that probing digit, her heart surging.

After a moment he chuckled, drew back and dotted her nose with a finger. "No, maybe not."

"The master teases."

That caught him slightly off guard. He stared at her as a faint trace of crimson warmed his sun kissed features. "That's right,kitten. Wedo. But, I need to know you're going to be here. We're going to be taking in a guest for a couple weeks. . . .my daughter."

Kim blinked, utterly dumbfounded.

"Yeah," he continued, "she's taking a break from school and traveling, so she's going to be staying here for a bit." A brief pang of guilt crossed his features as he glanced to the side. "So I need you to be prepared to take care of whatever garbage fire is going to start while she's here."

"Of course, master McKenna. . ."

"I don't think you need to know the whole story, but let's say that she and Sylvia don't get along well. She's uh- the product of an 'unfortunate accident' when I was younger, but that doesn't mean she isn't my child." He sat up straighter. "So she is to be treated as you would one of us."

Kim gave an emphatic nod. "I would do no less."

Elliot considered for a moment, smiled a rueful little grin. "Just remember she's my daughter, so don't go getting ideas." At Kim's gormless stare he patted her head. "I'm kidding. But do you remember how I said Sylvia had a hard life? Think of it like this: Becca's getting every chance she never had, and sometimes I think Sylvia resents her for it. So don't take anything personally. It's not going to be easy, but I have faith in you."

Kimberly blushed a little, a soft tingle warmed the back of her mind as she muttered a 'thank you' to her employer- to her master. Apparently in the process, she earned another pet before he leaned down and kissed her forehead.

"Thank you, Kim. Be on time tomorrow, hm?"

"Y- Yes, master McKenna." She rose shakily and, not for the first time, left the house wondering what strange turns this job was going to take her on.

12