A Man's Job

Story Info
She said her lover was everything her husband was not.
4.6k words
4.03
189.1k
88
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story was inspired by a song by Montgomery Gentry. I have written other stories under the names of Hawkeye 007 and spiderman1

My name is Jerry Spencer. I met my wife, Shay, two years after I had gone through a bitter divorce. We met after I finished a four year hitch in the marine corps. My ex had a a way about her that could melt butter and grey eyes that penetrated the core of my being. I'm still trying to forgive myself for trusting and loving the manipulative selfish bitch. When I returned from Afghanistan, my heart was broken when I found out that she had been entertaining several lovers and had been spending my money partying buying sluttish clothes and supporting her worthless fuck buddies.

That experience changed me, for better or worse. Better in the sense that I was no longer naive and an easy target. Worse in the sense that the wound had healed, but it left an ugly scar on my soul. It turned me into a paranoid son of a bitch. Even though I loved my current wife, I was never able to completely trust her. I wanted to but, I noticed that she tended to tell little lies when the absolute truth was inconvenient. Both of us had been married before and I hoped we would grow old together. I had been stupid and trusting before and it damn near killed me. I hoped that one day, I would be able to sleep with both eyes closed.

The more I loved Shay, the more paranoid I became. I knew that the greater the love, the more painful the hurt. She was putting me under pressure to start a family. I kept thinking that if the relationship went to hell, I'd be facing at least eighteen years of child support. Nevertheless, I was just about ready to start a family and bury my past. It bothered me that the ghosts of yesterday had such negative impact on our marriage. It was time that I let it go and get on with my life. I wanted to believe that Shay deserved my trust. She didn't know that I had noticed that she was a little flirtatious. She never did anything outrageous however, it didn't sit well with me. I decided to wait and see how things developed.

I tried hard not to let her see my insecurities and showered her with as much attention and affection as I could. My military experiences had hardened me. I loved her enough to never expose her to the ruthless aspect of my personality. I showered her with affection and took her to plays, movies, dancing and was always happy to make slow passionate love to her and fuck her hard if I felt she wanted it that way. However, I started a secret investment account in the Cayman islands from the beginning of our four year marriage. Every time I received a bonus, I had my boss pay them to me through one of our foreign subsidiaries directly in the Cayman account. The money never entered the US and didn't exist as far the tax dept. was concerned. I was very good at my job and the account steadily grew. I hoped for the best and prepared for the worse.

If things turned out well for us, we could use the funds for a summer home and maybe a cruise around the world. If not, she couldn't steal what she couldn't see and I'd have enough funds to restart my life without the financial suffering I had once experienced. I don't think that Shay ever realized how emotionally damaged I really was. Early in the relationship we had a conversation that went like this;

"Shay, I've had a very hard day." I said flopping into my favorite chair.

"What happened sweetheart?"

"I had a depressing conversation with a friend of mine today at lunch." I stopped talking and starred out the window.

"Well, don't leave me hanging. What was it about?"

"He just found out that his wife was cheating on him and he was asking me what would I do if I was in that situation. Part of him wants to forgive her and reconcile. Part of him wants an immediate divorce.

"What did you tell him?"

"I said that far as I was concerned, once she had intimate contact with another man their marriage was over. She broke the contract and destroyed the trust and respect between them. Some men could stay with her. I could not..." I looked into her eyes as I spoke. I wanted her to know exactly how I felt about betrayal.

"Why did she do it? Maybe, there's still hope for them. Does she love him? Does he love her?" She said as her eyes narrowed while something changed in her expression that disturbed my subconscious mind. "Maybe, she had a good reason. Everyone makes mistakes. If he loves her enough, he could forgive her."

"Who cares why she did it? I'm sure he loves her. That's why he's in so much pain. She says she loves him, but her actions don't look like it. The man is destroyed. You should've seen him. He's a wreck. I couldn't help feeling anger at his wife and sympathy for him. I've been where he is. His life has been forever changed. Even if he could forgive, he'd never forget. I advised him to make an immediate exit strategy. In the military, it's called a strategic withdrawal. Loyalty is very important to me." I forced myself to stop there. I didn't want to warn her of the retribution I was capable of.

"Wow, you don't have to remind me to never cheat on you. I can see that the subject really upsets you. I'm glad you shared that with me. Never forget that my heart belongs to you alone, Jerry. There could never be another man for me. I love you handsome man." She said sitting on my lap giving me a sexy smile and a kiss. We had that talk four years ago.

I wish I could say that I was completely satisfied with her response. I was glad that I had the chance to tell her how I felt about cheating sluts. My first wife's betrayal had caught me completely by surprise. One day, I was "happily" married and the next, my bank accounts were cleaned out, I was barred from entering my own house and I was sitting in a bar trying to figure out what the hell happened. After that experience, I lived by the code of trust but verify.

The beginning:

My wife and I were at a neighbor's birthday party last weekend when I saw my wife sending long loving looks into the eyes of a man across the room. I guessed his age to be about twenty five. I'm thirty one and Shay is twenty eight.. I knew that look, as I had seen that look in her eyes many times. It occurred to me that I had not seen her look at me like that for some time. It's amazing how much information can be gleaned from a casual observation. My heart sank as I realized that they had been or were currently lovers. My friends and family also had noted how much attention she had been paying to this stranger. I was both angry and humiliated by the experience. There was no doubt in my mind that my "happy marriage" was in trouble. My world collapsed. The love that I thought was exclusively mine apparently wasn't.

When we returned home, I was unusually quiet. I was dreading the conversation we were about to have. If she was having an affair the marriage was over. Even if she wasn't, I wasn't sure if I could live with a woman who was carrying passionate feelings toward another man even if she did love me.

"Honey, what's on your mind? You didn't speak to me at all since we left the party. Did I do something to offend or hurt you? Come on Jerry, I know you. I don't think I've ever seen you this upset."

"Who was the guy that you spent a half the night taking to?" Her body tensed for a moment.

"Is that what's bothering you? He's just a guy I used to work with before I met you. We were just catching up. A lot of the discussion was about you and how happy I am to be loved by a man like you. I only have eyes for you, you big jerk. I think he was jealous of you." She looked satisfied with her explanation and expected me to give her a hug and kiss and apologize for my attitude. That didn't happen.

"You're lying!"

"What? Why did you say that?" she looked worried.

"I've known you a long time. I could see the love shinning in your eyes. It's a look that you can't disguise. You're a good liar, but not that good. It hurt me to see you look at another man like that. I'm going to give you one more chance to tell me the truth before the shit hit's the fan. You've got the floor. She looked defeated. There was no way she could bullshit her way out of the situation.

"Jerry, we used to be lovers a long time ago. He dumped me when he fell in love with a younger woman. I never thought about him again until I saw him tonight. I'm sorry I lied to you. I know how you are. My love for you is stronger than any lingering feelings I may still have for him. You have to believe that, Jerry. You have to..."

"Your love for me may be stronger, but you've loved him a lot longer. I'm not a man who could tolerate sharing his woman physically or emotionally. He looked at you like a lion stalking his prey. He sensed the weakness in you. Your body language told him that there was a chance to make the kill. I love you, Shay. But, I'm not sure this marriage is going to last."

"Please, Jerry... I haven't done anything wrong. You're my whole world. We're meant to be together. Forget about this evening. I'll never see or speak to him again, I promise. Tears were falling from her eyes. She looked pitiful. I wanted to console her, but my gut instinct wouldn't let me.

"We'll see, Shay. We'll see."

For the next couple of months we pretended that the incident never happened. Our love making was strained. Something in me had changed. I tried to get over it but, the trust had been broken. Shay tried really hard to convince me that I was all she wanted. In fact, she tried too hard. She often seemed distracted and guarded. It was as if she didn't want me to know what she was thinking. I notice an hint of disrespect in her tone when she spoke to me. I knew I was losing her, but I had no idea what was happening. My instinct told me that her strange behavior had something to do with the man at the party. Her smile seemed forced and she was having trouble looking me in the eyes. I steeled myself for what I sensed was about to happen. I waited as long as I could before I sat her down and demanded the truth as to what was on her mind.

"Ok, Shay...What is going on? You haven't been yourself for a while now. There's something going on with you and I want to know what it is. For the past two months you've been going through the motions of being my wife. You seem distracted since we got back from that damned party our marriage has been sliding down hill. We've had sex, but I didn't feel like we were making love like we used to."

"Everything is fine, honey. I've just been a little under the weather, hormones I guess." She said, trying to sound consoling. I wasn't buying it. I decided to stop by her job and ask a few questions. I was friendly with a couple of guys she worked with.

I went to her job to take her to lunch and ask a few questions. When I arrived, I was informed that she had already gone to lunch and had left around eleven. She could do that because as a supervisor, she had some privileges.

"She left about an hour ago." said Tom, one of the guys I knew.

"Does she leave early like that often?" I asked, trying not to sound too concerned.

"About two or three times a week I think."

"Does she go alone?" My tone was now tense. He looked around and whispered, one time a saw a young blond guy pick her up. I was looking out of the window when I saw them. I guess curiosity got the best of me. "She get's back at one if you want to wait around." He looked me sympathetically. "I'm sorry, buddy."

"No problem. Please do me a favor and don't tell her that was here. Thanks again...." My worse nightmare had been realized. I had a pretty good idea who she was spending her lunch time with and what she had been doing. I was going to drop the hammer down on her hard. I waited for the right time. Two days later, she came home two hours late. She had been drinking and wanted to have sex as soon as she walked in. The whole situation felt strange. She was extremely affectionate and her pussy was wet before I touched her. Shay had so many orgasms I lost count. I had never seen her so charged up. That night I had a troubled sleep.

The next day at work I couldn't concentrate. Shay's behavior had all of my alarm bells ringing. Then I realized what had happened. I became disgusted and angry. I knew the time to end the charade had come. That night as we sat at the dinner table I said "whose idea was it for you to feed me a cream pie last night? It turned you on, didn't it bitch?" She looked at me with a sad look of guilt all over her face.

"Cream pie? What are you talking about, Jerry?

"You know damned well what I'm talking about. After the sex last night, I knew something wasn't right. Even though I've tried to please you sexually, you've never been that wet or turned on before. You took my cock down your throat and road me like a pony. You never acted like that before. It took me a while to realize that you had just left the bed of another man and then had me put my mouth on your nasty pussy. Your treachery turned you on, didn't it you cheating slut? How long have you been fucking around on me? Don't bother lying. I know more than you think I do." She couldn't look at me knowing she'd been caught and didn't want me to know the details.

"Not long Jerry... I'm sorry. I never meant to hurt you."

"Why? Why would you cheat on me? I've loved you from the day we met. I could always see our future in your eyes. I would have gladly taken a bullet for you. You've broken my heart and destroyed my respect for you. I hope it was worth it. The cream pie was his idea wasn't it?" Her failure to answer was her answer. "I went by your job the other day. You weren't there. I know you've been sneaking out with that blond prick from the party and it's been going on for a while. Is he a better man than me? Answer me you cheating bitch!"

"He started taking me to lunch. He sensed I was attracted to him and kept telling me how beautiful and sexy I am. After a while, I started craving his attention. He convinced me that I could keep my marriage and keep him as a lover. Once we went to a motel and made love, I was hooked. I couldn't stop. Being with him was exciting and different. I started feeling that he's every thing you're not. He's like a drug. I tried to stop myself, I really did."

"That hurt... That really hurt. I'm going to see a lawyer tomorrow. You can have him and the house and half of every thing in our accounts. It will take me a while to forgive myself for loving and trusting an unfaithful slut like you. You have a good job so they'll be no alimony. You keep your pension and I'll keep mine. Let's be thankful there are no children caught in this disaster. I know that you'll regret what you've done to destroy this marriage. He knows you're a cheater and I guarantee he just sees you as a conquest that he doesn't respect. You left this marriage as soon as you were intimate with him. When you realize that your fuck buddy is a piece of shit, you can't come back to me. We're finished. I'm going to try really hard to squeeze out the love in my heart for you starting now."

"Jerry could you forgive me and let me try to make it up to you? Please, I love you. I didn't mean what I said. I think I lost my mind for a while. I realize that now."

"Feeding me his sperm was the ultimate insult. You're only sorry that you've been caught. You don't love me. You love my pay check. You love my boring dependability, not me. If you hadn't been so stupid, you would have continued to get away with cuckolding me. If I took you back, I would lose all respect for myself."

" I do love you, Jerry. You have to believe that. I can't live without you. You're my rock. You've always taken care of me."

"Well not anymore. Without trust, we have nothing. From now on you're on your own. Maybe, you do love me in your way, and maybe you're just kidding yourself. It doesn't matter now. I don't have to believe a damned thing that comes out of your lying mouth. We're done. I hope you and lover boy are very happy together. I told you in the beginning of our relationship how I feel about betrayal. I hope that one day, I'll meet a woman who can appreciate a man like me." I fought back the tears that my pride wouldn't let me shed in front of her.

I moved out the next day and filed for divorce. Shay tried repeatedly to get me to change my mind. I didn't want to hear it. The divorce was over in three months and Shay moved her unemployed boyfriend into my house. Several times, when I felt depression crushing me, I was tempted to take my 9mm and blow his brains out. In a moment of madness, I considered putting a bullet in her head also. Common sense prevailed and I choked back the anger and pain and went on with my life.

When I received the final notice of divorce, I broke down and cried expressing the grief that I had been avoiding. I was sitting in my apartment watching a football game when the tears started to fall. My anger was replaced by a deep sadness at the loss of my companion who I would have gladly given my life for if necessary. For several months, I refused to socialize with my friends. I devoted myself to work and sat at home feeling sorry for myself. The fact that my ex moved her worthless lover into my house, who was sleeping in my bed ate at my guts. Eventually, I forced myself to start going out to relieve the loneliness which was haunting me.

I was sitting in a club one night, observing the crowd, when I saw my ex wife's lover flirting with every pretty woman in the room. He saw me starring at him and recognized me. The prick smirked in my direction and grabbed the ass of the blond he was dancing with. My face contorted and I started to get up when the bartender, who was my friend, put his hand on my shoulder. He said, "think about it, son. He's not worth going to jail for and your ex has no honor to defend. He didn't betray you, she did. Let it go, son...Let it go."

After that, I decided to go on a singles cruise. I had the funds and vacation time so why not. My best buddy told me that there would be plenty of available women. It was time for me to take my head out of my ass and put myself out there. I needed some female companionship to help sooth my battered ego. The cruise was a good idea. I slept with a different woman every night for a week. I started feeling better, but the empty loneliness in my heart was still there. I could only remember a few of their names. I felt like a human dildoe. When I was about to give up and accept my fate, I met a lady named Brenda Sue Wilson. I was headed to breakfast when I saw her sitting alone. When my eyes locked on to her beautiful face, she smiled at me like we were old friends.

I quickly filled my plate from the buffet and rushed to her table before some scoundrel stole my girl. I know that sounds crazy, but that's the way I felt at the time. I don't know if it was love at first sight, but it was definitely lust. After sitting down and gazing into her hazel eyes, I completely forgot every woman I had previously met that week. She radiated a magnetic energy from her stacked five foot four body that drew me in like a moth to a flame. I wanted, no needed to know all about her and I wanted her to know me.

"Hi, I'm Jerry. I hope you don't mind me joining you. I think your smile just lights up this room."

"I'm Brenda Sue." she said extending her hand. "Have we met before?" she asked still smiling. "Strange... There's something familiar about you."

"I'm sure we haven't. I'd definitely remember meeting a lady as pretty as you are."

"Are you having fun on the cruise, Jerry?"

"I am now."

"How about you?"

"Frankly Jerry, I've been hit on by every horny creep on this boat. I hope you're not one of them."

"Well, I'm a pretty sexual guy, but I'm definitely not a creep. I can't really blame these guys for wanting to sleep with you. I am definitely strongly attracted to you, but more than that, I want to know what you're thinking and how you feel. It would be great if we could become lovers and friends. I think you put every woman on this boat in your shadow."

12