A New Dawn Ch. 04

Story Info
Harry's recovery and onwards.
4.8k words
4.62
10.4k
1
0

Part 5 of the 7 part series

Updated 10/01/2022
Created 12/10/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Harry Parker lay back in his bed and closed his eyes, he was feeling tired again and sleep came quickly. At his bedside his wife Susan, whom he had remarried six years ago, sat on an upholstered chair. An array of monitors were connected to him and they hummed and bipped in the background. A pretty black nurse came in and fussed around, recording the readings onto a paper chart, held by a large bulldog clip onto a plastic sheet. The clip also held his notes, ready for the doctor, who was due to make his rounds in about half an hour.

Susan looked tired, she had been there for nearly forty eight hours and aside from a few hours snatched on a sofa outside his room she had not left Harry's side. Her daughter and her wife had left for home in their private jet, taking their two children and the Housekeeper and her family with them.

Susan could go back to the house, the other staff were still there, making sure the place was ready for her return. Susan, however, could not be prised away from Harry and she sat there gazing at him, worried sick that their reunion could be over so soon. Neta, a cousin of their Housekeeper, had worked with Lizzie, their daughter, to keep Harry alive until the Medics arrived. She appeared in the doorway with a travel bag. Coming in she squeezed Susan's shoulder.

"I brought you a change of clothes and some wash stuff. The Receptionist says to use Harry's shower room. Go on I'll sit with Harry, you go freshen up."

Susan nodded, but was reluctant to move. Neta squeezed her shoulder again.

"He'll love you even more if you look like your usual stunning self. Go on shower and change."

Susan smiled and stood, taking the bag, she kissed Neta's cheek,

"Thanks Neta, can you keep an eye on him, call me out if anything changes."

"Of course I will, now go."

Neta turned Susan towards the doorway to the washroom. Susan walked slowly towards it, before glancing over her shoulder towards Harry on the bed. Neta sat in the chair and looked lovingly at Harry, Susan smiled and went into the room. Inside the clean white tiles and polished steel of the bathroom gave off a faintly antiseptic smell.

Susan stripped and then found her wash-bag. Climbing into the shower she adjusted the head and turned it on. A heavy barrage of water hit her and she enjoyed the pulse changing from cold to hot. She luxuriated in the feel of the hot jets of water pulsing over her skin.

Thirty minutes later she reappeared, radiant and relaxed.

"There," said Neta, "See how much better you feel and you look like a princess."

"She is.." Harry had his eyes open and for the first time in forty eight hours they sparkled. His voice was gruff and he sounded tired.

"Hello darling how are you feeling?"

"I feel like someone's been over me with a baseball bat, but the pain in the chest has gone. I'd love a cup of tea, anywhere I can get one?"

"I think you have to wait for the Doc, Harry."

"Okay, when's he due?"

"Bout an hour I think."

"Man could die of thirst here. Please Neta can you find someone and ask?"

Neta stood and smiled, she left the room briefly, returning with a grin and the nurse. The nurse was in her sixties a big woman, she had a huge smile and a fan of dark black hair that almost completely hid her nurses hat.

"So Harry Parker, you'd like a cup of tea, do want a biscuit with it or a slice of my homemade cake?"

"Oh cake please, err nurse...?"

"Call me Edith, okay, I'll go get you some tea."

The nurse turned, her light blue, crisply starched uniform crackling as she moved. They watched her disappear into the nurses station, heard her laugh and the giggles of the other nurses. They looked back and Harry smiled.

"I love this place, they're so friendly and can't do enough for us. I think I need to make a fairly generous donation to their funds after all they've done."

"Harry, worry about that later, right now you have to relax and do as you're told."

"Not really my style is it Susan?"

"It had better be or you'll have me to answer to!"

Doctor Hamish McDougal, smiled as he entered, Susan stood and held her hands out.

"Hamish, so good to see you," she slipped inside his arms and stood on tiptoe to kiss his cheek.

"Thank you Susan, how's the pat..."

Neta had replaced Susan and hugged him tightly.

"Well I never really had this reaction from my patients relatives before, but you know I could get used to it." He grinned and moved closer to the bed.

"Hi Doc. Thanks for the sixty thousand mile service, I understand you think I'm good for a few more years?"

"Certainly Harry, although you need to alter your diet a bit and take up some form of excersise as well."

"I'm working on it Doc. Your nurses are giving me a whole heap of ideas for a good diet."

As he said this Edith slipped in and popped a cup of tea and a plate with a generous slice of homemade ginger cake onto the tray across Harry's bed.

"Edith, your ginger cake is renowned across the Island, but it might be a bit too rich for Harry at the moment."

Before the doctor had finished, Harry had maneuvered himself closer to the tray and picked up the cake, taking a large bite and sighing. He chewed rhythmically then swallowed, a smile breaking out on his lips.

"Doc, this is a little slice of heaven, are you sure it's bad for me?"

"Pretty bad Harry, however an occasional piece of comfort food, can help recovery. Nurse, he's not to have anymore cake for the next forty eight hours. Plenty of lean meat, salads, vegetables and fruit, are you listening?"

"Heard and understood, Hamish, although your mother would recommend another slice of cake a little later."

"And as you are my mother, I take it you're going to give him a slice anyway?"

"No sense in it going stale son, wouldn't want it to spoil." She grinned again and swept out.

Susan tried to hide her laughter , Neta just let it go. Harry grinned and finished his tea. Hamish leaned over and broke a piece of the cake off and fed it into his mouth.

"No doctor should allow his patient to be exposed to something he hasn't tried himself. Mmm Mamma does make a decent ginger cake. Now seriously, you should rest up and eat as directed, hopefully we can have you on your feet fairly shortly. Then home and rest, food and exercise."

"When can I fly home?"

"I think you need six to eight weeks, before you even consider flying, and why would you want to leave this paradise anyway?"

"Good point Hamish, thanks."

"Well I have other patients to see, I'll pop back later, hopefully when Edith sneaks some more cake in." He winked and left.

"I was talking to Hamish while you slept, we need to set you up with a routine when you leave and try to increase the amount of walking you do over time."

"Susan, whatever it takes, how are the girls and Kyle and Em?"

"They're fine. looking forward to you coming home when you're fit and well."

"I want to say thanks to Kyle for lending me his dinosaur book."

"you'll see Kyle when we get home, for now just concentrate on getting well. I have an idea anyway, if we call Perdy and Lizzie on the i-Pad we can FaceTime them and you can talk to Kyle and Em too."

"Good idea, mmm, I think I'll sleep on that,"

Harry smiled and closed his eyes.

Shortly his breathing slowed as he drifted off to sleep. Susan sat back and watched him. The love they had was complete and she smiled as she recalled their turbulent life together. Neta reappeared and asked if she needed anything, Susan couldn't think of anything at the moment, so Neta left for the island, taking Susan's old clothes in the bag she came with. This scene replayed for three weeks, before Susan felt able to go home at night, the short trip to the island leading her back to their bed.

Susan noticed that her weight was up a little, then she noticed her Mummy Pouch looked a little larger. She began a new diet and exercise routine, but felt a little lethargic as time moved on. At the hospital Harry was steadily improving and he was often dressed and ready for a walk when Susan arrived. They would amble round the gardens and sit and just hold hands making plans for their return home.

Harry noticed that Susan's style of dress was changing and she often had to postpone their walk for a bathroom dash. When they sat down one day, Harry took the bull by the horns and asked Susan what was wrong with her, fearing the worst.

"Harry, how old am I?"

"Six years younger than me, why?"

"Harry, do you remember we made love, shortly before your heart attack."

"I do, how could I forget, it was a magical time. It was perfect, we were so together."

"Yes we were, Harry, God... I don't know how to tell you this. Harry I'm pregnant!"

"You're pregnant, why that's wonderful, amazing, but how? I mean I know how, but how?"

"I don't know, I mean I thought my periods were finished, or finishing, I was post-menopausal, well at least I thought I was. I was concerned at the weight gain and the funny feelings, then I was sick, every morning, never happened with Lizzie."

"Have you seen a doctor, can Hamish you know check..."

"I've seen Hamish, I've had the tests, ultrasound, everything, you're going to be a father again."

"Do the girls know?"

"Yes, they're over the moon, Lizzie is organizing everything back home. Perdy just keeps grinning, every time I talk to her, I can hear it in her voice."

"Susan, this is unbelievable, truly unbelievable, you are happy about it aren't you?"

"You mean apart from nothing fits, my boobs ache, I'm sick every morning and I need to pee about eight times an hour, yes Harry I'm so happy about it."

"Thank God, I thought you were leading up to.."

"Never, I couldn't do that Harry, not to the baby or you. I just had a small worry you wouldn't.. you know."

"No, no, no, I want this baby, I want to bring another life into the world, I want to see, touch and love your beautiful child."

"I'm so pleased, but Harry at my age their are risks. We can do tests but there is a small chance that the child may not be perfect, you know what I'm saying?"

"I do, now stop worrying and let's walk, unless you need the loo?"

"Shut up Parker, let's get mobile."

"I love you Susan, I love you so very much."

"I know Harry, I love you very much too."

"Do you have any idea if it's a boy or girl?"

"They can tell from the scan, but I asked not to be told."

"Okay, good, can I come to the next scan?"

"Of course, I want you there to see our beautiful baby inside me."

Over the following weeks Harry's recovery continued, helped by the blooming of Susan and the scans of his unborn child. At seven months, Harry and a very pregnant Susan flew home to be reunited with Lizzie, Perdy, Kyle and Em. Harry's grandchildren were all over him, Kyle re-united with Grandad and his Dinosaur book, sat perched on his lap, doggedly trying to read the book to Harry. Em held her arms out and up to Susan, who whooshed her up and cuddled her tightly.

Lizzie and Perdy holding hands grinned with delight, as Ola, their Housekeeper appeared with tea and cake, placing a large tray on the coffee table. She grinned and nodded at Harry.

"Hello Parker, I see you are much better, how are you doing?"

"All the better for being home with you guys." Harry said and grinned.

"Good, I make special meal, very healthy, lots of rice and pulses, fresh salad and lean meat, unless you want fatty fry up special." She grinned and winked at him.

"Ola, I have so missed you and Josip, I am very glad to be back with the kids, Lizzie and Perdy, and home."

"We love having you back, don't we Perds?"

"Absolutely, welcome home Harry, and my lovely sexy Mother in law." Perdy grinned at Susan, who blushed and sat with Em on her lap.

"I wish I felt Sexy, but unfortunately I just feel, bloated and shattered."

"Mum you look great, really good for a fifty..."

"Don't even go there Lizzie."

"Well mother, after all the times you warned me to be careful and take precautions, you end up getting knocked up by a sixty year old."

Perdy guffawed into her hands, Harry laughed and Susan grinned.

"I know, I know, we should have taken more care, blah, blah. But I honestly thought it would be okay, I thought all that had been and gone."

"Well it obviously hasn't has it, so Father, are you going to stand by my mother and are your intentions honourable?"

"Lizzie, I am going to be with her every step of the way, I have regretted not being with Susan when you were born, I shan't make that mistake again."

"Good, well that's settled then, thank you for your honesty,"

Lizzie held her hand out and Harry reached out and shook it.

"Mummy what are you and grandad doing?"

"Kyle Mummy and Grandad are playing a silly game, because they love each other very much,"

Perdy said as she put her arm round Lizzie's waist.

"Why is Nanny's tummy so big?"

"Because Kyle Nanny is making a baby for her and Grandad to love, like they love you and me and Mummy and Em."

"Will it be my baby brother or sister?"

"Well it won't be your brother or sister, it will be your uncle or aunt."

"Will there be a party and presents and all that?"

"Kyle there will be a big party, when Nanny and Grandad and their baby come home, we'll have jelly and cakes, fizzy pop and chocolate, you see," added Ola to the clearly excited child.

"I want to help Nanny pick out the baby."

"Kyle Nanny and Grandad have already picked out the baby, we just have to wait for it to come into the world. At the moment it's safe in Nanny's tummy, growing and moving, and getting ready to pop out."

"Can I see it coming out?"

"Well I think Nanny and Grandad have it arranged at the hospital already, but as soon as it's born, you can see it."

"Will I be able to hold him?"

"Well we'll see nearer the time, and how do you know it's a boy anyway?"

"I heard Mummy say Nanny's all in front so it's a boy."

"We're just guessing Kyle, do you want a baby boy then?"

"Yes I think so,"

"Baby girl, baby girl, baby girl," Em bounced on Susan's knee.

"Oh Em, be careful with Nanny, she's quite tired my darling."

"I'm okay Perdy, it's alright, please I've missed these two so much."

"Just worried about her hurting you, even accidentally."

"I understand, but I'll be fine. Now let's have tea and I'm going to have a piece of the lemon drizzle cake. Harry have some fruit."

"Yes Mum," they chorused, dissolving into laughter.

Kyle and Em sat on the floor, a plate in their lap, eating a small slice of cake, with grapes and slices of apple. Harry reached for an orange, which he peeled and ate slowly. He licked his lips and wiped his hands on a napkin. Placing his plate with the peel and used napkin on the coffee table he took his tea and sat back tired but happy to be home. Later Susan went upstairs for a nap and Harry played with Kyle and Em. Perdy left to open and run Susan's art gallery and Lizzie went to the office on the first floor to deal with the day to day business of her and Perdy's on-line clothing store.

Susan woke feeling refreshed and desperate to pee, making her way to the bathroom she sat and dealt with her needs. Finishing she wiped and flushed. Deciding to shower and change, she was happily enjoying the feel of the shower over her body when she saw a shape appear in the bathroom.

"Hi Mum, only me, I need to pee, is that okay?"

"Fine Lizzie, how's it going?"

"Loads of orders, we may need to open another production line if this carries on. We have some spare capacity, but if the orders keep growing we'll need to think about another line sooner than we expected."

"That's marvelous darling, how brilliant you two are."

"Well Perdy's the designer, I'm just the business, but yeah we're doing pretty well. Hey do you want to try some of our designs?"

"You don't think I'll look like mutton dressed as lamb?"

"Certainly not mother! Perdy's right you do look sexy, you'd be a perfect asset for our range. That would encourage the more mature pregnant ladies to come on-board."

"Mature as in old birds?"

"Mother!"

"Oh alright, I'll have another look at the catalogue, I have to say I love the designs anyway."

Susan stopped the shower and climbed out naked. Lizzie was still sat on the toilet.

"Oh My God, you are gorgeous Mummy, give us a twirl?"

Susan span slowly on her toes, her arms widening. She smiled as she saw Lizzie's face, transfixed with wonder.

"Well, does the old girl look okay now?"

"Mum you are perfect, would you do a spread for us. you know select a few items from the range and let Perdy photograph you?"

"Are you sure I'd look okay?"

"Mummy you look radiant, perfect, I..."

Susan moved to Lizzie, bending to hug her as tears fell down her daughters face. Lizzie's arms slipped round Susan and she held her tightly. They stayed that way for many minutes until Susan had to shift as cramp and cold overtook her. Lizzie sniffed, then wiped herself, standing to pull her clothes back together. Susan now clad in a large bath towel, walked with her daughter back into the master bedroom.

Downstairs, Harry sat back on the sofa, as he, Kyle and Em settled down for an afternoon nap. When Susan had dressed, she and Lizzie came downstairs to find all three were asleep, huddled together. Ola stood with a blanket ready to cover them, She raised a finger to her lips. They nodded and finished the last few steps quietly on tiptoe. Grinning they watched Ola cover the sleeping forms.

They followed her out to the kitchen, where over cold drinks they giggled at the scene in the other room. Later they woke and Harry appeared demanding cold drinks and fruit in a silly sing song voice, as Kyle and Em danced round him.

After the children were in bed, the adults sat eating, Ola and Josip with them. It would soon become almost a ritual that Ola and Josip ate with the family, as much as their children ate with Kyle and Em. Harry and Josip would then do the dishes and pans, whilst the ladies retired to the lounge with coffee and, or, cold drinks. Harry and Josip appeared after their jobs were completed and took coffe etc, sitting with the girls.

"Ola, Josip, do you think it's time Irena joined the adults for meals? She's going to be sixteen soon, she's no longer a child."

"Susan, you think that would be okay? We discuss this, Irena is good girl and accepts that she eats with the children, but I agree, she is now almost growed up."

"Ola, Josip, please ask Irena to join us at the table from tomorrow, if she wishes."

"Thank you Parker, Josip and I will talk to her tomorrow after school."

"Talking of school and things, the nursery your children attend, would they have vacancies for another child?" Lizzie asked, Perdy nodding in agreement.

"I ask tomorrow, when I drop off Cezar and Jakub, will be no problem."

"Hey wait, don't I get a say in this?"

"Parker, if you want to be with your friends, I'll see if you can go too." Josip smiled as he spoke and the table dissolved in laughter.

"Thanks Josip that's what I wanted to hear," Harry said ruefully.

"Harry, you have a schedule to get underway, we need to improve your stamina and get you fully fit."

"Yeah I guess, but I'll miss little Em, do I still get to walk Kyle to school?"

"If and when you get back to full fitness, although you'll now have Beata and Kaja as well."

"Cool, well that's something to work towards."

"Right, it's settled then. Now we have another announcement, Susan has agreed to model some of our clothes for a feature on older mothers and pregnancy fashions."

"Good for you Susan, you'll be great."

"Harry you don't think I'll look freaky and seem like I'm trying to be young and hip, but look old and sad?"

"Susan, you could wear a bin liner and look sexy and attractive, you'll look great."

12