A New Dawn - the Prequel

Story Info
How Harry reached his end.
2.3k words
4.37
9.9k
3

Part 2 of the 7 part series

Updated 10/01/2022
Created 12/10/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The characters in this story are all over eighteen and the age of consent, sex if it happens is consensual. UK English is the rule: if the spellings Mum, arse or colour annoy you, don't go any further, for the rest of you enjoy.

This prequel is a small thank you to kjohns2001, who wrote that a back story setting out Harry's downfall would help the timeline and narratives for later events, this has been echoed by others. So with your permission here it is and I hope you agree the guy was a complete pain in the rear end.

*****

Harry Parker scratched his head and looked at the printout's,

"Phillip get in here now!" he yelled into the intercom, not seeing the twenty heads with forty ears prick up and look at Phillip Jenkins.

Phillip Jenkins rose and shrugged at his colleagues. Picking up his folder he moved smartly into Harry's office. The room was bare bar a couple of posters, Ads for the company's products. Harry's desk had no personal memento's to distract from his work, no touches of humanity. He had an empty Styrofoam beaker on his desk, but apart from that it was just piled with papers. Jenkins sat down.

"What the hell happened last week? these figures are unacceptable, I want the guys responsible reminded how much they depend on me to pay their bills. Do it now!"

He waved a hand dismissively at Jenkins and rammed a pen in the corner of his mouth,

"What the fuck are you still sitting here for, I said Now!"

Jenkins almost ran out the office, the others heads down worked as if nothing had happened. They had however heard Harry and knew in the present state of the economy that a new job would be hard to find. Most had been there from seven thirty that morning, arriving just before or just as Harry arrived. Most would still be there at seven thirty this evening. Harry was a workaholic, he liked to think his staff were too. They were on a drive to expand and Harry was driving hard to secure several new contracts, which would be lucrative in the extreme.

Starting out a decade earlier he had left a well paid job to start on his own, working eighteen to twenty hour days. His home life was a mess the last decade spent at work, missing out on his Daughters coming of age and his wife's need for companionship. He and Susan had reached a point where it was likely they would split, she had called his behavior unreasonable and excessive. He had brought the same rigorous efficiency to his home as he had at work, calling her lazy and ungrateful. Susan had bridled but eventually been worn down by his demands on meal times, household spending and his daughter Elizabeth's allowances.

At times he and Susan barely spoke, they had had no physical contact or intimacy for eight years, the demands of the business leaving him tired and worn at the end of the day. It became custom for him to work into the night, crawling into bed for a bare four hours sleep. He forbade Elizabeth to bring friends back to stay over. When he arrived home, he expected his daughter to be in bed, or ready to go to bed and the house free of strangers. He had used what was her playroom as a child as his home office, piling her 'Junk' in the garage.

"She's old enough now to play in her room quietly, she's not a child anymore." He had told Susan, after she had argued with him about his arbitrary decision to commandeer the playroom.

This had led to a stand up row with Elizabeth, whereby he told her to 'grow up and stop acting like a child'. Her teenage years would be fraught with these face-offs. She having inherited Harry's stubborn streak. It led to her being suspended from school several times for disobedience, fighting and refusing to shower after games. Harry phoned the school, spoke to the Head and told him to sort it out, he had no time to run around after a 'stupid, stubborn teen'. The head appalled had tried to reason with Harry, promptly hearing the line cut, as Harry slammed the phone down into its cradle.

"Fucking idiot, Jesus, if I ran my business the way he runs that School, I 'd have folded years ago." he shouted, seeing heads lift then drop as his gaze swept the office.

Predictably he and Elizabeth finally agreed to split, he visited the offices of Rothstein, Ambrose meeting Rachel Henley, an expert in divorce. She was prim, fussy and incredibly driven, straight up and no nonsense. Harry fell for her at the first meeting. He kept it civil, strictly business, until the Decree Absolute was delivered. Then he spent time wooing Rachel. She found him 'interesting', her words. He found her engaging, dynamic, forceful and good in bed. There was something however, but he couldn't put his tongue to it. However, great sex, good looker and a dynamo with his divorce, what more could he ask.

Rachel had secured a modest payment for Elizabeth's ongoing welfare, and jack all for Susan. She would have to go back to work, full time. Good! He thought, show her what the real world was about, no more luxury lifestyle for her. He imagined that she had nothing to do all day except lounge around, since he he provided her with everything. But there was that niggle again. Harry pushed it aside and concentrated on business. He had now secured a few really cast iron contracts and product development promised more and better. Harry decided that on the split he would buy himself a bachelor apartment, high end, all the gadgets and more. He would use it as a base for himself and as a retreat for Rachel and he at weekends.

Rachel looked the place over and concurred, it had all they would want, Three bedrooms, ample clothing space, an enormous bed and a huge shower arrangement in a wet room that could hold eight or nine people at once. Harry secured a housekeeper, but she departed within weeks, unable to retain Harry's confidence. Rachel had fired the next one within minutes of meeting her, she knew the type, a predator, who'd not only make Harry's bed but lie in it too, both meanings of the word applying. Harry was astonished, but they agreed to try another, this time a large fussy woman, who Harry managed to piss off in a month. So it had gone until the arrival of Mrs Jarnewski, a bustly Polish woman, who gave as good as she got. She hectored Harry for his untidiness, but cooked him breakfast every morning. She collected his laundry, made his bed and dusted and cleaned. She was unobtrusive when required and loved Rachel to bits.

Harry stood poised for success, since meeting Rachel and being introduced to her friends and their partners, his business had increased five fold. He had a little more time now, but Rachel used that to involve him in charity work, and endless parties and cocktail events. Harry had a row of hand made suits, Rachel insisting that not all his profits be ploughed back into the business, reasoning that a smart and wealthy CEO, would inspire confidence with suitors.

Harry loved the Charity work, as long as none of the participants were actually involved. He used the events to network and build a richer more complex client list. His office manner softened slightly, but he still was prone to venting his anger, however, he would invariably then make some big gesture, flowers, chocolates, theatre tickets, to the recipient of his bile, as a token apology. Most had stuck with him through thick and thin and had developed a shell, they knew Harry was just a perfectionist and just waited for his anger to abate before approaching him.

Some knew if they stood up and countered his aggression, after a noisy slagfest if proved right, which some where, they would have Harry's undying loyalty. Next time he'd side with them, accepting their views. Slowly as they all learned Harry's temper lessened and he would be amiable to their suggestions. One or two tried to seek a payoff after walking out over Harry's behavior, but Rachel's colleagues soon convinced them that it would be a long drawn out affair and not worth their bothering, any payment would be eaten up in lawyers fees.

One day at a conference Harry had been approached by a very personable man called Dexter Thorsonn, a scout and board member for Maxco, a corporation known to be ruthlessly expanding, asset stripping any acquisition that failed to pay the rent. With two of Rachel's colleagues from Corporate Buy Outs he and Dexter sat down to talk through a possible deal. Maxco wanted to diversify and Parker's was looking like a fitting bride. For once Harry felt a pang of conscience about his employees and wanted various caveats in place to protect them. Dave Hollington and Mike Herbage, advised him to just take the money and run, but Harry had the bit between his teeth. For fifteen years now he had got his own way, no way was he going to lie down and roll over now.

Dexter Thorsonn, came down several times, they had meals and attended a variety of events. Dexter admiring Harry for sticking to his guns, proffered a new deal. The latest offer from Maxco was a whopping Two Hundred Million, a Life Presidency (purely Honorary), a raft of shares in Maxco, no staff cuts for two financial years and Dexter to head the company which would retain its name and autonomy. Harry shook his hand and finished his scotch. He looked around for Rachel, spotting her with her best friend and husband. He waved and raised his clench fist to waist level and cocked his thumb, she smiled.

Later after an exhausting bout of lovemaking, Harry proposed, Rachel accepted. Life for Harry was sweet. He kept the sale a secret until he had no option but to reveal his plans. His staff were stunned. The office had grown, some had missed Harry's tantrums but all knew his passion for the business. A few felt betrayed, and others worried over their jobs. Harry did his best to calm things, suddenly very conciliatory about their fears. but he was adamant he would be going. He was tired and unknown to them restless, he wanted something else, something different, what it was he had no idea, there was just this 'thing' in his head.

On the night before his last day, he and Rachel had had a candlelit meal at an exclusive restaurant, he had asked her to marry him now and leave her job to come round the world with him. To his amazement she became fractious and aggressive. Accusing him of treating her like a piece of furniture, an ornament, something he owned. She was ruthless with him, bringing up his past failings, his failed marriage, his poor parenting, his tantrums and childishness. Harry sat back amazed, she basically told him that whilst it had been fun, that's all it was, in reality, if he was on fire she wouldn't stop to piss on him. As for the engagement, consider it off. Rachel stormed out, leaving him embarrassed as he asked for the bill.

Home alone, he wandered from room to room, looking back on what he was and where he'd landed. Slowly he realised just how empty his life was, how shallow the circle of friends he had. No doubt now Rachel was gone, they would be too. Businesswise he knew the contracts would hold, the clients were getting Rolls Royce Service and were begging for more. So what it came down to was, what had he actually achieved in his life. What could he say that he alone had done, what was his his tiny marker here on earth. Sitting down with a scotch Harry looked at his life.

Later in bed he discovered an awful loneliness engulfing him. As he lay there he saw with devastating clarity just what a stupid fool he'd been. He saw in hindsight what had been and what could have been. Tears ran down his face as for the first time in his life he actually felt helpless. Saw the sucker Rachel had seen. He was nearly a trophy husband, nearly put out to pasture. What had he done.

He saw in flashback the hurt and pain he had caused his daughter, the lie that he was doing this for her, for Susan. Saw that all the time he was doing it for himself. He was a tightfisted, mean, angry man, who had managed to lose every worthwhile thing he had in pursuit of self glory. He felt a warm acid taste burning in his throat. His night of victory turning to ashes in front of him. He saw how he'd managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. He had everything and yet nothing. He was alone despised and reviled by all. He alone was to blame, not Susan, not Elizabeth, not Rachel, not his employees, or so called friends.

He thought of Susan and Elizabeth and his tears became cries of pain. He realised just how much of a shit he'd been, how he had overlooked their needs for his own gain. He had lost the very thing he had set out to protect, the reason he had started this journey. He had failed them and failed himself. Rachel had seen an opportunity and taken it, but she knew her limits and being his wife was not in her game plan. Being his partner OK, but it was simply sex and power. Stupid stupid man, he heard, stupid, greedy shortsighted man.

Harry Parker lay in bed and stared at the ceiling. He hadn't slept well and his head ached and he felt more dead than alive. It was a large kingsize bed in a large modern apartment. It was also empty save for him. He was forty eight, twenty pounds overweight, tired, angry and alone. His greying hair was plastered to his forehead and neck. This would be his last day at work.