A New Encounter Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DMaster_14
DMaster_14
1,067 Followers

"Okay, fair point, now what is so important that you interrupt my security meeting?"

"Is this a secure line at your end sir, I know that our end is."

"Yes, as secure as I can make it."

"As you know sir, we have left orbit and are headed out for an uninhabited world to sort out some issues with the governing Council of the visitor's home planet. I just need to know the status of the gentlemen seated here with me."

"Mr. President," Mina interrupted. "We have received credentials for the gentlemen from England, Germany and Japan, in that order. Your Ambassador of course was first. However we have not received the credentials for the balance of these gentlemen and as such they have no protection in the eyes of our Council. I would suggest that you contact their governments' immediately and arrange their diplomatic particulars. Our Council does acknowledge the concept of Diplomatic Immunity as your people view it and I would like to have it in place prior to meeting anyone from the Council."

"You don't think that they will do anything..."

"Mr. President, you will recall our conversation of last night?" Kevin interrupted.

"Understood," the President said grimly. "I will contact the relevant governments' today and have their credentials before tomorrow. How will I get them to you?"

"Email of course." Kevin said lightly. "Just send it to my email account and I can access it from here." Kevin looked at Mina and she nodded.

"No problem. I will get right on it. You really enjoy messing up my day, don't you?"

"Who me?" Kevin asked innocently.

"Good bye Kevin."

"Good day Sir." Kevin replied and Mina closed the circuit.

Mina turned to the rest of the meeting.

"Gentlemen, you will have your diplomatic credentials the next time we drop from FTL. We will be making a series of jumps to make sure that no one can back track our course to your planet. I would now suggest that we take a break and re-convene after our first jump and you have reviewed the conference from yesterday. It is rather lengthy and you will need time to assimilate all of the data and any concerns from your government. Our communications section is available if you need to contract your respective governments for instructions. Are there any questions?" There was a general murmur of agreement. "Meeting adjourned. All crew to jump stations please."

Mina led the crew out of the room and the rest of the men sat and reviewed the comm conference with the Council. Kevin sat through it again, but this time as an outsider, able to see the Council's reaction to things being said rather having to deal with each question as it came up. Each member around the table was making notes as the playback continued. About half way through the playback, the hologram paused and shrank as Mina appeared.

"All crew standby for FTL jump. All crew standby for FTL jump." Mina ordered confidently. "Gentlemen, please observe the jump, I think you will find it interesting."

The men looked on with fascination as the hologram shifted. The conference playback was reduced to a small corner window of the hologram and the balance focused on the entire bridge. They could see the crew moving about in their duties with confidence. The view shifted and centered on the main screen. They could see only the stars, moving gently and then suddenly shifted blue and screen went blank only to relight with stars moving past, shifting from blue to red. The hologram went blank and Mina could be heard on the ship's speaker again.

"All crew stand down from jump stations and set FTL watch."

A few minutes later she appeared in the conference room.

"Well what did you think about your first jump?" She asked.

"Quite interesting," Hans the German delegate said, "but why did the screen blank at the moment of jump?"

"We have found that the mind is not able to process all that happens at the moment of crossing into FTL. The first of our kind to see it went mad. As such we blank all monitors and computers recreate the jump into something that our minds can assimilate."

"How many more jumps are there," asked Hans.

"Three," Mina replied calmly. "It will take eighteen hours to reach the next jump point. We have to check the relay in each system. Then we have to do a scan to orient ourselves to the next jump, then that jump takes about ten hours. The third jump is the same but lasts about sixteen hours and then a forty hour run in to the planet we have chosen for a decoy."

"Then since we have time, I suggest that we complete the viewing of the meeting and then make our plans from there," the Japanese ambassador recommended.

****

The new First Mistress stalked down the corridor of the government house in foul temper. Government House was the seat of power for the entire planet. Made from dressed local stone it resembled nothing so much as an ancient castle without the towers or moat. It had started out as a two hundred bedroom, one hundred sixty bathroom home for the First Mistress' family, but over the centuries, more and more of government had moved into the building until the family was now only in the top south west floor.

The rest of the building had been remodeled over the years and rebuilt at need so that the bedrooms became offices, the massive dining room a conference hall to meet the media, the five massive kitchens in the basement remained and fed the bureaucrats in the building, but the private kitchen and chef in the smaller sixth kitchen was for the family. The priceless works of art were protected by clear-steel to keep them clean and prevent decay. The masterpiece carpets were removed and stored along with most of the antiques that the family had collected over time. The office walls were paneled, but the corridors were painted white. Only in the residence were things different.

The Family residence still held all of the grandeur of the original house, hand weaved rugs, tapestries, works of art, priceless antiques were all on display, for those few lucky enough to be invited to see them. The staff were all sworn to secrecy about the living accommodations of the Family and so far few leaks had happened. The Family offices were on the outside of the corridor, window of clear-steel with breathtaking views of the main boulevards of the city. The residence faced the north and into the square of the building. Originally, that square had been for keeping troops out of sight and protected in case of invasion and some enemy actually took the outer wall. Now it was used for parades, and exercise for the small ceremonial guard that still took station on the walls. Such a post was highly sought after by all members of the military.

The new First Mistress knew that she should not feel anger towards her mother, now deep in a coma, but she did. She had not been ready for this responsibility and now she was neck deep in it. Her guard maintained a respectful distance but were within reach if need be. She wore the traditional cape of her former place, she had not been accepted by the Council as yet, but that was supposed to happen in the next few turns. The cape billowed out behind her leaving her completely uncovered and allowing the movement of air over her skin to cool her slightly. When she stopped the cape would close around her and if anyone other than her guard or the house staff should appear, it would instantly wrap her to preserve her modesty, not that she had much.

She had been a free spirit until the previous turn. Her mother's collapse had ended her freedom with all the gentleness of an air car crash. She knew that she wasn't ready; she still had so much to learn from her mother. The plan had been in place for generations, she was to start to attend Council meetings, silently at first, then once she understood the workings, she could start to express opinions, but she would not have authority until her mother passed. She stalked into her chambers to find her maid and the rest of her staff there.

The bedroom was almost big enough to play soccer in. The bed was big enough for six and she had needed a step to get into it when she was growing up. The walls were a deep hand rubbed wood, the carpet a rich rust color and the paintings worth a fortune. Her desk sat by one wall, near the corner, so that no one could come up behind her when she was working. The attached bathroom had every sort of luxury that could be imagined. The shower could handle four and the tub as sunk into the tiled floor, so deep that she could float with her head out of the water and not touch bottom and she could float on her back, spread eagled and not touch the sides. Her walk in closet and dressing room were just as luxurious, but she seldom used them, preferring to go about in her cloak, much to her dresser's dismay.

"Teagin I need to speak with you."

"Yes Mistress." Teagin said turning to face her. At a look from her, Teagin turned and clapped once. The rest of the maids looked up and without a word, left the room and closed the doors. As they left the room, the First Mistress noticed a small child in the group and stopped them.

"Who is this," she asked and the child and an older maid froze and turned to face her.

"This is my youngling Mistress," the maid replied. She was petite and dapple haired, her child was pale, just as small and had completely white hair, a rarity among their people. Her eyes were huge and bright ice blue. She was a beautiful child.

"What is she doing here?" First Mistress asked her maid.

"All of the rest of her class fell ill, so she had the turn off from school, her mother had no other place for her, her mate was killed in a mining accident."

"I see and you just thought to bring her here?"

"Yes Mistress," the maid said, looking at the floor. "She has begged and begged me to bring her to Government House to see where I worked. I have tried to tell her that I do nothing of great importance but she only sees the glamour."

"Not true mother," the child said looking up at her parent. "I want to join the Guard and I need to see what they do so that I can train and prepare. The best place to do that is here at Government house." The child turned and looked directly at the First Mistress, against all protocol. "Please First Mistress, do not punish my mother, it is my fault."

"So I should punish you, very well." The First Mistress said darkly, and then raised her voice. "Captain."

The guard outside the door stepped in to the bedroom and looked expectantly at the First Mistress. She was tall, broad and well muscled, her jet black hair was pulled back into a bun, her violet eyes scanned the room instinctually and she settled her gaze on the First Mistress when she was satisfied that there was no danger. "Yes Mistress?" Her voice was deep and respectful.

"This child is here against all protocol and wishes to see what the guard does." The First Mistress said looking down at the child and the mother shuddered, knowing what the previous First Mistress was like, the child was staring back at the First Mistress defiantly.

"Take her to the guard quarters, show her how you live, then run her through the training course and ensure that she knows just what she is getting into. And see to it that she has lunch in the guard mess." The First Mistress smiled as the child beamed up at her and the mother let go a breath that she had been holding.

"Thank you First Mistress." The child said flinging herself at the First Mistress and wrapping her arms around her waist in a hug. "I expect you to be ready to replace the Captain her by next kall (month)."

"I will be Mistress." The child promised as the Captain nodded and took the child's hand and leading her from the room.

"Don't worry about her," The First Mistress' maid told the mother. "She will be at the front gate when your shift is over. And she will have a story to tell at school tomorrow. In the mean time, make sure that you tell her and your work mates that this is not to be repeated. If my mother had been here, the child would have caned and you whipped in the public square for violating protocol."

"Yes Mistress, thank you Mistress. It won't happen again." The mother promised bowing.

"See that it doesn't. You may go." The maid hurried from the room to join her fellow maids and return to work. "That was a nice thing you did for the child Mistress."

"I suppose, but the mother looked so scared and the child so fearless, I had to do something." The First Mistress said with a smile.

"What do you wish Mistress?" The senior maid asked.

"Teagin," she said sharply.

"Yes Kladnira?"

'I am having a great deal of trouble with this new position."

"How so Kladnira?"

"I...I am..." She broke down into tears and rushed at the older woman. Teagin opened her arms and enfolded the sobbing young girl into her embrace. Together they sat on the oversize bed and the maid just held the crying child until she calmed.

"Now what is the problem?" Teagin asked quietly.

"The Council does not accept me as First Mistress and I am not ready for such responsibility. They each have their own plans and I think they see me as a nuisance." She replied. "I have not been presented to the people yet so I cannot be considered of age or acceptance to the Council as First Mistress, but the presentation was scheduled for only 30 turns (days) from now, but there is no one to present me to the people."

Teagin nodded sagely and waited. She knew the ritual as well as anyone and better than most. The First Mistress presented her child to the people in a grand ceremony and to the Council in a smaller but more elaborate ceremony. From that point onward the child was expected to take on certain responsibilities increasing in difficulty and complexity as they learned the lead the Council and people. In the cases where the First Mistress passed before presenting a child to the people, a regency Council was created to rule until the child was of age, however that took kalls and kalls (months) to set up. Usually the child in question was much too young and the time was there, but with Kladnira reaching age in less than 30 turns, the planning of her presentation was well underway, but there was no one to present her. It had to be done by someone of higher position and there was no one.

"In addition, we have had a positive response from one of our ships out looking for genetic material. They have found a race willing and able to help us, and several of the crew, including the captain, are with young. In fact they have taken the males as proper mates."

"That is a very positive thing child." Teagin said smiling. "You could use that to solidify your place on the Council."

"I don't think so, old one." Kladnira said with a watery smile, returning the teasing as it was meant. "I think that the Council is thinking invasion and abduction."

"How so?"

"The orders given to this captain, and I have checked, all the other captains say that they are to obtain genetic material by any means necessary. The Captain in question has opted for mutual cooperation and the species that she has selected is not only sentient, but apparently highly warlike. I fear that the Council is only looking at the military option and ignoring all other possibilities."

"That is something that you must deal with quickly." Teagin said sharply. "If they dispatch the fleet, it may too late to save the situation."

"I have informed the Council that I will not endorse a military offensive against this planet, and they informed me that it is not my decision. Mother, the former First Mistress, has already given the military all necessary instructions to proceed as they see fit. As I have not been presented and accepted, I have no authority to countermand the military's orders."

"And the fleet?" Teagin asked gently.

"I believe that they are preparing for departure even as we speak." Kladnira responded hopelessly.

"They have the ship's position?"

"Yes, it is in the Dalness sector and the fleet can be on station in 8 turns." Kladnira said. "While this race is sentient and apparently warlike, their space travelling capacity appears very limited. Their historical database suggests that they have only been to their planet's only satellite for short visits. No colonies on other planets and no travel outside of their system by their people, only autonomous craft."

"Then we should have little problem taking the planet if we wish." Teagin said simply.

"I don't think so." Kladnira responded. "The rest of their historical database shows a very warlike race, including the use of nuclear weapons upon their own people." Teagin looked horrified. "Indeed, if they are willing to do that to themselves, how will they treat invaders?"

"With even greater violence," Teagin said firmly. "You are correct; a military invasion would not accomplish anything but death on both sides. What about the males with the ship. You said several of the crew were with young, surely those males could assist us."

"They can and have, but the more males that we have, the broader the genetic base and the better for our people."

"Yes, and there is the possibility that these males may not wish to provide additional material if they are mated to the crew." Teagin stated simply. "For the sake of our people, they must be made to."

"We cannot force them." Kladnira said firmly. "At least one has presented Ambassador documents and unless I miss my guess, the others will as well if they have not already."

Teagin nodded solemnly, the people had accepted the concept of Ambassador protection long ago and if they ignored it now, then it would impact negatively on their interstellar status. Other races could ignore the status of their own Ambassadors and that would lead to great difficulty. Teagin suddenly stiffened next to the woman she held and Kladnira sat up and looked at the older woman.

"Are you well?"

"Yes Mistress," Teagin replied absently, staring off into space.

"You are up to something." Kladnira said with a grin.

"Indeed," Teagin replied as the final piece locked into place in her mind and her smile turned wicked. "Mistress, you said that the Council will not heed your authority?"

"Yes, I have not been presented."

"Then the Council is following the orders standing left by the previous First Mistress?"

"I said that." Kladnira confirmed.

"And there is no First Mistress at this time."

"Of course, what are you getting at?"

"You want to stop the military action, but the Council will not hear you, then take the decision from their hands and go to meet with the Ambassadors of this planet before the Military get there." Teagin said simply.

"How can I do that?" Kladnira demanded. "I have no leave from the First Mistress to leave the..." Her voice trailed off.

"Exactly," Teagin said as comprehension dawned in Kladnira's eyes. "Since they want to play games, play it better than they do. If they won't acknowledge you as First Mistress and only the First Mistress can prevent you from leaving, they can't stop you. If you can get to the planet first and get a treaty of cooperation the Council will have to abide by it. The people will never allow the Council to overrule the First Mistress this way and if they try to do anything about it, it will look like they are trying to overthrow you."

"But how would I get there? The Fleet has to provide an escort and that means that they will have to be informed and they will just delay or deny the escort."

"The Fleet is required to provide an escort for the First Mistress, you are not First Mistress, and therefore you can go off on your own without an escort. I am not saying that it will be easy, but the Council will see it as you getting out of their way while they get on with leading the people. Let's face the facts that most of the people think of you as a flighty little girl, not a competent woman. Now is the time to use that against them."

DMaster_14
DMaster_14
1,067 Followers