A New Temptation Ch. 02

Story Info
Elaine and Alex meet again (18th Century England).
2.7k words
4.51
10.7k
6

Part 2 of the 3 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 07/24/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Here's my second installment of ANT. This segment will observe the progression of Elaine and Alex's relationship. You also learn more about Elaine. No promises on the next chapter; however, I'm find it more difficult to leave these two characters. Please comment and vote! All advice is deeply appreciated.

WF

*****

A fortnight had passed since Alex lost the map to Lady Elaine. For the two weeks, she had plagued his thoughts. He wondered about her scholarly pursuits. Besides acquiring maps, what else did she like to do? A few days ago, Sir Jennings, England's premier historian, released another book detailing the fall of the Roman Empire. Alex, an avid reader of Sir Jennings, immediately purchased the newest edition. He wondered if Elaine read Sir Jennings. Strangely, he hoped he wouldn't be disappointed. As more questions continued to form, Alex's interest in Elaine grew. He knew there was no sound reason for such interest; yet, he couldn't contain the anticipation he held for seeing Lady Elaine at the Duchess of Lexington's ball. After all, as the first event of the season, Lady Elaine would have to attend.

Standing from his desk, Alex looked at the papers strewn across the study. Most of them were checks to his father. Unfortunately, despite his father's threat to pass the title to James, the Duke of York charged Alex with all ducal duties: this including managing the family estates, ensuring food quotas were met, sending additional money to extended family members, and even helping his father pay his bills. The latter Alex didn't understand— his father was just being indolent.

A knock interrupted Alex's musings.

"Your grace," George, his steward, greeted as he entered the room. Unlike most stewards, George traveled with Alex wherever he went. George also acted as valet and butler on several occasions. Alex thought George was versatile. George thought Alex was stingy.

"Hello George," Alex greeted.

"Cook has prepared the breakfast you requested."

"Very good," Alex replied walking towards the door, "I need you to organize all these papers. Place my father's on the red desk. I need to send him his bills."

"That will be done," George replied, "Is there anything else?"

"Have you prepared everything for tonight's ball at the Duchess of Lexington's?"

"Everything has been prepared your grace, especially your cravat."

Alex scowled. "Excellent," he replied dryly before exiting the room. George reminded Alex of his younger brother, James. Though the two were both exceedingly responsible, they also shared a satirical humor.

"So, the heir finally emerges from his slumber," a familiar, cheerful, voice called out.

Alex turned toward the voice and saw a tall man with dark brown hair and golden eyes emerge from the sitting room. Realization dawned. "George got me again," Alex muttered. Because George and James were so similar, they got along very well. Unfortunately for Alex, that also meant whenever James wanted to trick Alex, George had no hesitation in joining him. "You can't continue to do this," Alex said, ruffling his hair, "It wouldn't kill you to tell me when you're arriving."

"That would kill all the fun," James replied joyfully, "Although, on second thought, society does decree I let my ducal presence be known."

"Indeed," Alex replied. "So, what is your business?" He walked towards the dining area and saw his breakfast laid out.

"Well," James started, taking the seat next to his brother, "It appears that the ton has heard of your predicament."

Alex stared at his brother, and foul words left his mouth. "Dammit," Alex continued, "How am I to do this?"

James stared at his brother. "You are one of the most eligible bachelors in all of England. There are only three unmarried dukes right now: one is four years old and the other is ancient. Then," James stressed, dipping his head, "There is you."

"Exactly why this is so damned difficult. I can't tolerate a simple mind. I need a wife, not a brainless chit! I'm going to have to live with her the rest of my life. And more importantly," Alex continued looking gravely serious, "I'm going to have to suffer her mother."

James whooped in laughter. "The only lady, to my knowledge, without a conniving mother and money hungry father, is Lady Elaine Lancelot of the Earldom of Sussex."

That immediately caught Alex's attention. Perhaps the spirited beauty would be a good match.

"It is my understanding, however," James elaborated, "That the lady doesn't like social festivities. From the last season, she's only made three appearances."

"Do you think she will be there tonight?" Alex asked with piqued interest.

"It is the first ball of the season," James admitted, "But with Lady Elaine, who has rejected eight proposals, one may never know."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elaine entered the Duchess of Lexington's manor with her brother.

"Lord Lancelot," the Duchess greeted upon seeing the duo, "I am delighted that you could attend tonight. I was not informed of your return from India."

"It is my pleasure your grace," William replied bowing. Elaine duly followed with a curtsy.

"Henry," the duchess said looking down at the young boy at her feet, "This is Lord Lancelot and Lady Elaine. This is my eldest son. He is now four years."

"Congratulations," Elaine replied. From the joy on the duchess's face, Elaine knew that she was relieved. Before her son's birth, the duchess had been trying to produce an heir for six years. Now, to have a son— well, she had fulfilled her duty.

"Please enjoy yourselves," the duchess ended, "Henry must greet his grandfather now."

As the duchess departed, Elaine looked toward her brother. She noticed him staring at Lady Victoria, daughter the late Viscount Enders. "I assume you have kept in correspondence with her while you were in India?"

William delivered a short nod.

"She is waiting for you to ask her for a dance."

"She is?" Will asked, shocked. "Right, right. Please excuse me."

Elaine watched as her elder brother marched towards Lady Victoria. Despite his natural charm and wit, when it came to women, Will displayed nothing of that. Or perhaps, he might just that way with Lady Victoria.

"Lady Elaine," a deep voice greeted.

Confused, Elaine turned around, only to be greeted with a hard, male chest. She looked up into a pair of smoldering green eyes.

Alex had noticed her the second she entered the ballroom— she wasn't easy to ignore. Viscount Oxford had made her arrival quite clear when he trailed off in mid conversation with Alex to gape at Lady Elaine. Upon seeing her, Alex realized she was even more beautiful than he remembered. Covered by light blue gown, decorated with golden strands of lamé, Elaine's creamy complexion proved to be more than a light tease. It became a temptation.

"Your grace," Elaine greeted cordially, refusing to let any hesitation belie her current confusion. She and Lord Alex had only met twice, and if the last encounter was any indication to their compatibility as future acquaintances, Elaine would stand for none of it.

"It would be my honor to dance with you," Alex replied bowing deeply. He had noticed her perturbed countenance. Her crystal blue eyes had flickered with confusion, or enmity —Alex wasn't sure.

Before Elaine could reply, the music had started.

"Excellent," Alex remarked as he firmly drew Elaine into his arms.

The pair danced together in a few moments of awkward silence. One wanted to interrogate the other about her scholarly pursuits, while the other wished for nothing except the ending notes of the dance.

"I have recently acquired Sir Jennings' most recent release on the fall of Rome." Alex began. Despite his rehearsed questions, all he could mutter in front of Elaine was that he bought a book. Wonderful. Very charming.

"Congratulations," Elaine replied without a flicker of jealousy, "Sir Jennings is one of England's most prominent historians. I do admire his collection on the history of Rome. However, it is unfortunate that he only writes in Latin, otherwise the other half of England's peerage would have the benefit of reading his work."

"Indeed," Alex heard himself agreeing. "In fact, I think Sir Jennings writes in Latin for the sheer pleasure of satirizing. After all, if half of England's most prominent lords cannot read a history book, England must be destined to repeat history's mistakes." He grinned.

Elaine guffawed. Oh dear, had she truly just laughed aloud? Quickly skimming the lines of dancers, she was relieved to find out that no one had noticed, or at least if they did, they didn't show it. "Yes," Elaine replied once composed, "Sir Jennings is a character. I find that I appreciate his application of geopolitics in his arguments, as geopolitics becomes increasingly more important."

"I could not agree more," Alex agreed, again. "In fact, just last week, three lords proposed a new economic plan for several of England's closest commonwealths."

"Truly?" Elaine asked with genuine interest. She sighed. "It is unfortunate that my brother has been away for the past six months. He is my usual source on Parliamentary proceedings."

Alex couldn't help but feel admiration for the woman in his arms. Though her lithe body aligned perfectly with his, he was more curious about what she thought— how she thought. Obviously as a woman of the world, she understood politics. They could have an actual conversation.

Elaine looked up at Alex. His expression was unreadable. She noticed that his eyes were a dangerously seductive green; yet forced herself to look away. When he had replied to her remark about Sir Jennings, something within her stirred. She wished not to admit it, but it seemed that she had a new temptation, Lord Alexander Dorne.

"The dance has finished," Elaine heard Alex murmur. Horrified, she quickly dropped her arms. She had been clinging to the gentleman like a child reluctant to leave his mother.

"Would you accompany me to retrieve a drink?" Alex asked as if nothing had just happened.

Elaine looked at him, thankful for the smooth transition. Already, she felt the petrifying gazes of the ton. "It would be my pleasure," she replied with all the grace she could muster.

Still in a stupor of embarrassment, Elaine blindly followed Alex. She wound up in a dark corridor.

"Your grace," Elaine started.

"No," he interrupted, "Just call me Alex."

Elaine stared blankly at him, and suddenly she smiled. Alex forgot to breathe. One side of her mouth had turned upward, giving a heavy, seductive impression.

"Then, you must call me Elaine."

Alex returned the same tantalizing smile; yet that quickly faded as more sensual thoughts entered his mind. He couldn't resist her anymore. After knowing that she had such a keen mind, Alex found Elaine all the more desirable.

Taking a step towards her, Alex descended. He nibbled at the outside corners of her mouth, teasing her to open for him. "Open for me," he whispered, as he continued to place soft kisses.

Elaine, who was too shocked to process what was happening, only registered the male body pressing her against the cool marble wall. Unable to move, she simply stood in his embrace, neither accepting nor returning his kisses.

Alex suddenly breathed into her ear. "You are beautiful," he murmured, sending shivers down her spine. She had never allowed a man such liberties before.

Alex continued to tease her, sucking lightly on her ears before moving to her neck. Elaine gasped at the contact. He was drawing circular patterns on her neck with his tongue.

At her sound, Alex lifted his head. His green eyes had darkened, and he looked at Elaine like— Elaine moaned. Appalled by her own behavior, Elaine struggled to free herself, but Alex held her firmly.

"Do you feel me?" Alex asked in a husky whisper, pressing himself against Elaine, "Do you feel how much I want you?"

Elaine looked at him and suddenly reached up to kiss him.

At their sweet contact, Elaine heard Alex sigh contentedly. He reached down and grasped her derriere. Shyly, Elaine sucked on Alex's bottom lip. He emitted a deep groan and pressed her closer to him. Suddenly, she felt his tongue enter he mouth. Masterfully, Alex bated her until she whimpered in desperation.

"Elaine?" someone called out. It was Will.

Frantically, she separated her body from Alex, making haste to smooth out any wrinkles on her gown.

"I have compromised you," he stated simply. He was still recovering from their passionate embrace.

Elaine looked up. She knew that if they were discovered, Alex was honor bound to marry her. However, she had no interest in fulfilling the role of his duchess. She needed to say something that would keep him away from her, forever. "That is my brother. I hear you are in wanting of a wife."

Alex stared at Elaine. She had known, and she had allowed him to kiss her. She had orchestrated this entire event. When he requested that she call him Alex, she smiled because she had won. At first, anger first threatened to explode. After that, a painful blow of naiveté plowed through his mind. The woman had played him like a child. She was an eligible maiden who had turned down several suitors. He had been her prize all along— that was why she appeared at Limber's. By god, how could he have been so foolish?

Elaine watched Alex's stoic face. Yet, she knew what lay underneath that mask. Though it was not the same heart wrenching betrayal she endured at sixteen, she knew it was enough to breach Alex's trust.

No longer tempted by her shy kisses and warm body, Alex delivered a strikingly formal goodbye and walked away. He noted never to speak to Lady Elaine again. The chit was far too conniving.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The ball had ended around two in the morning. After Will retired to White's, London's most elite gentleman's club, Elaine returned home. She felt burdened after her interaction with Alex. When she had finally felt more than just interest in a man, he had to be a future duke. She wouldn't survive all his fancy balls and numerous paramours. As she tiptoed up her stairs and entered her candlelit room, Elaine resolved to go out tonight, again.

Expertly untying her intricate gown, Elaine pulled out a set of black clothing. Only Aurelia knew Elaine's secret, and she swore to keep it. Donning the black clothing, Elaine snuck out through the hidden back gate. In her left boot, she carried two daggers. A short sword was attached to her right. Tonight, she would be free.

Elaine crept in the night. As carriages and hackneys rolled by, Elaine ran towards the most dangerous place in London, Brimmel. In less than a quarter of an hour, she jogged through the six kilometers that separated London's opulence and poverty. She was here for one reason— adventure.

Though her spirit yearned to be free, Elaine did have darker reasons for visiting Brimmel. With every ball, Elaine was required to put on a facade. She had to greet everyone politely and endure every gentleman's attention. Elaine's mind reeled back to Alex. She sighed and forcibly pushed him away from her thoughts. She was Elaine. He was a duke. It would never be.

Even now, Elaine was haunted by her father's irresponsibility. She would never forget the humiliation she suffered when she called on the servants and informed them of their leave. She had been forced to sell her gowns, the ancestral house's furniture, and even her late mother's art collection. They only kept the family portraits. And yet, in a twisted, perverse way, Elaine kept her sanity, knowing that those in Brimmel suffered more than she had.

As Elaine passed the foul streets, she discovered a well lit alley. A small group of sleeping children was under the brightest lamp, which stood at the end of the alley. Once closer, Elaine noticed that one had been charged with guard duty, but from the looks of it, that child too was sleepy. The children's faces were dirt stained and several holes decorated their black tinged clothing. Elaine tucked small bags of fifteen crowns into each of the children's arms. If they spent the money wisely, they could get into an orphanage or buy a fortnight's worth of food.

A half hour later, Elaine returned home. The sun was probably scheduled to rise within the next hour. Avoiding the lights, Elaine adeptly climbed through her back gate and entered the house. Elaine climbed upstairs and put on her nightdress. She hoped for another dream of India.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~