A Perilous Journey Ch. 01

Story Info
Chapter 1: The Journey Begins
2k words
4.58
12.2k
2

Part 2 of the 16 part series

Updated 10/18/2022
Created 04/12/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Ahlissan Chronicles
~ Book II ~
A Perilous Journey

~ 1 ~

The Journey Begins

It was a brisk mid-autumn morning when everything was ready for the newly betrothed couple Lord Brion and Lady Eryca and their family members to begin the long voyage to the Kingdom of Ahlissa far to the south of the Shields Lands. The southern kingdom was hundreds of leagues away and it would take at least two weeks of fair winds to reach home. Just a week earlier Lord Barnard's flagship the Scarlet Queen had docked in Admundfort. The 'Queen's captain, Captain Nerelas was a dark skinned human with a sturdy yet thin build who wore his long hair in long tight braids covered by a silk bandana about his head, several gold earrings and large cuffed boots. With a scimitar tucked into his wide waist sash he looked every bit the grizzled seaman that he was. When William first saw him he thought that Captain Nerelas looked more akin to a pirate than a sailor in the King's Navy. Barnard laughed and said that he was in fact a former Touv pirate from Hepmonaland but also an old friend.

"Trust me my friend, Nerelas may be an old pirate but he is loyal and there is no better man to have at the wheel than him when you're sailing the treacherous waters of the Flanaess!"

The Captain gave his men a few days of shore leave before they were to begin readying the 'Queen for the return voyage. Along with the crew of the Scarlet Queen had come Barnard's Royal Battle-Mage Aizantius, who when he had heard that the young Lord Brion had become engaged to a powerful mage he had insisted on coming to meet her. Aizantius was tall and bearded dressed in the red robes of an Ahlissan Battle-Mage the hems of his robes were trimmed with silver and sable with runes of protection embroidered in dark blue thread. A deep red hood also trimmed in silver covered his head and across his chest was slung a spell book on a gold chain. Upon meeting the beautiful Lady Eryca, Aizantius was instantly impressed with her and they spent a few days together discussing magikal theory, as well as, using their wizardly ways to pack everything in Eryca's study to be loaded onto the ship.

Lord Barnard, William the Earl, Captain Nerelas and Lord Brion had talked and had decided to take a course through the southeastern Nyr Dyv and then down the Nesser River stopping at Luekish in the Duchy of Urnst if needed and then continuing south through the Celadon Forest, past the Gnatmarsh before coming out into the Sea of Gearnat and then turning east towards Prymp. Captain Nerelas had the final say that the Nesser would be a far safer and an easier journey than trying to navigate Wooly Bay and its' humanoid pirates, with all the important passengers that he had aboard he wasn't taking any chances.

After their shore leave was up the crew of the Scarlet Queen returned to their ship and began the work of maintaining their vessel and packing the luggage aboard. Since the Kingdom of Ahlissa possessed a powerful cavalry each ship in the fleet had stables built into the lower decks. One of the few quiet daylight moments that the couple was able to share was a ride down to the docks, Lord Brion astride Armageddon and Lady Eryca rode side saddle on Druscilla. They walked their mounts onto the ship and then stood with them as they were lowered into the holds' stable, there they rubbed down their mounts stowed their riding gear and prepared them for the voyage. When they had completed their work Eryca turned to her betrothed and whispered to him.

"Tonight will be our last night before we sail. Meet me in the garden when Luna is midway through her journey."

"I shall be there my Lady, as always." Brion replied as he took Eryca into his arms and kissed her passionately.

He could feel her breasts against his chest, the coolness of her body and the intoxicating scent of honeysuckles that always surrounded her; it had been too long since he had held her like this. They kissed a little longer until they were interrupted by someone clearing their throat rather loudly. Embarrassed they looked up through the hold to see the gruff Captain looking down at them.

"If my Lord and Lady are done the crew could really use the lift to finish stowing the luggage." Nerelas smiled broadly and winked at them teasingly his gold teeth glittering. Embarrassed they separated and mumbled in agreement as they left the ship and red-faced walked hand in hand back through town toward William's fortress.

* * *

Later that night when the silver moon hung high in the starry dome of the night sky Brion rose from his bed dressed and went down to the garden to meet Eryca. He found her leaning against what had become over the last few months their rock. He looked around and smiled to himself glad that he had spoken to Aizantius and asked him for his help with the special project he had planned.

"Good evening Brion." she said walking towards him.

"Good evening Eryca." he replied softly as he took her into his arms.

"I am both saddened and happy that this will be our last night here under Luna's gaze." she said looking into his steel blue eyes. He smiled as he brushed a strand of her wild coppery curls from her face a gesture that always made Eryca's insides quiver.

"Do not fret Eryca; we will have many nights beneath the same moon in Ahlissa, every night for the rest of our lives. Have I told you that our bedchamber looks out onto the night sky? Every night we will drift to sleep in Luna's pale silvery light and every morning we will wake together to the sun's first rays."

"It sounds wonderful my Lord."

He smiled and kissed her lightly.

"Your homeland is a beautiful place and Ahlissa has beauty to match but both of them pale when compared to your beauty."

Eryca smiled shyly at his comment, she never tired of hearing his words and the way he always talked so softly to her. She had seen him angry and war-like before, she knew that within him burned the inner fire of a born warrior but when he was with her Brion was always kind and gentle. She could think of no place better than to be here wrapped in his strong embrace. Eryca could feel the constant strong heat of his body through his linen shirt, the cords of his muscled arms and he always smelled of musk, fire and evergreen the way a man should smell.

"It is getting late my Lord and we both have an early morning tomorrow. I just wanted to spend one last night in our garden before we set sail. I am looking forward to our journey and the wedding that waits for us at the end."

Brion smiled down at her, he loved her optimism and her love of life. He too looked forward to their wedding, when they would be joined together as one.

"I am anxious as well my betrothed, I look forward to our wedding when we are joined and then we will be together and I will truly make you mine." He placed his lips upon hers and kissed her, holding her tightly to him.

Eryca's mind reeled at the passion in his kiss and the love in his words. To be taken by her lord and to be made his, his wife and his lover. As she felt the heat rise in her body, she could think of nothing she wanted more than that.

* * *

Dawn came early the following morn at least Brion thought it had come an hour earlier than usual. He washed and dressed himself and then headed out into the common room he shared with his father for the last time. They met and talked about the upcoming voyage as they ate breakfast and watched two older squires take the last of their luggage out and down towards the docks. When they had finished they looked one last time to see if they had forgotten anything and then made their way outside to the courtyard, once outside Brion walked over to the stables. As he walked into the dimly lit area he saw Matthew hard at work filling the stalls with fresh straw.

"Matthew," he said motioning for the boy to come closer "I have something I would like to ask you."

"Coming sir!" said the boy as he finished what he was doing and walked over to Brion.

Brion knelt down so that he was looking Matthew in the eye.

"Matthew, I know you are fond of Lady Eryca, Druscilla and Armageddon. I also know that you don't have any family left here in the Shield Lands. I, however, am looking for a squire and I think are you just the man for the job."

Matthew smiled; a wide grin across his face.

"That would be great sir! I would love to do that! Are you sure?"

Brion couldn't help but smile at the young boy's enthusiasm.

"Training to be an Ahlissan Lancer is not easy Matthew. It takes years of hard work, study and determination but I know that you have what it takes. Are you up for the challenge young man?"

"Absolutely sir, I've always dreamed of becoming a warrior!"

"Well then," Brion said tousling the boys' shaggy blonde hair "you better run and pack your things, we'll be leaving soon."

With that Matthew ran off around the side of the stables to gather his meager belongings. Lord Barnard who had watched the exchange walked over to his son.

"You made a good choice son and you have given him the chance at a real future. I'm proud of you."

"Thank you father, I like Matthew, he has a good heart and a warriors' spirit. I think he will make a fine squire and better he who appreciates the chance than a spoiled nobles' son who thinks he deserves a knighthood."

Father and son turned just in time to see William, Eryca, Karolyn and Kira come out of the main doors to the Grand Hall. Eryca was dressed differently than Brion had seen before; while she was wearing a mages' robe it was unlike others he had seen her in. This one was black but it was slit almost to her hips giving her more freedom to move, on her legs were dove gray leggings and soft brown leather boots. A leather belt encircled her hips and from it hung many pouches and a dagger; across her chest she wore a brown leather bag large enough to hold several books. Around her shoulders was a black hooded traveling cloak and in her left hand she carried a staff. The staff was a silvery metal with a deep pink stone seated at the top in a silver setting. She walked over to Brion and hugged him and laughed at the expression on his face.

"What's the matter my Lord have you never seen a mage dressed for the road or did you assume that I just always wear fancy dresses?" She smiled teasing him.

"I'll admit my Lady it is a bit of shock but a pleasant surprise to be sure. I think we would make a most formidable team! With your sorcery and my steel I don't see any battle that we cannot win!"

As they hugged and laughed Brion told Eryca about asking Matthew to be his squire and she was very pleased with his decision. Eryca explained to Brion that Kira's parents had given their permission for her to travel and continue to study with her Shalafi. Finally Astinos came huffing and puffing down the main steps and Matthew returned a small pack on his back. When everyone was ready the procession walked down towards the docks escorted by a contingent of Williams' Knights of the Shield.