A Perilous Journey Ch. 02

Story Info
Chapter 2: Getting Underway
2.6k words
4.68
7.5k
1

Part 3 of the 16 part series

Updated 10/18/2022
Created 04/12/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Ahlissan Chronicles
~ Book II ~
A Perilous Journey

~ 2 ~

Getting Underway

As everyone boarded the Scarlet Queen they worked out cabin assignments and stowed their personal items. The adults stood on the aft deck and waved to the crowd gathered on the dock as Captain Nerelas and his first-mate shouted orders for the crew to make way. Matthew and Kira stood near the bow of the sleek ship trying to see everything at once. The crew drew up the anchor, threw off the massive lines which held the ship to the dock and unfurled her great white sails. Catching a fair wind the Scarlet Queen steered away from the dock and out into the deep port waters of Admundfort, before long they were heading southeast across the Nyr Dyv the isle of Walworth seeming to shrink into the distance.

Brion and Eryca walked forward watching Matthew and Kira look into the waters with wonder and more than once the children swore that they had spotted a great lake serpent. The loving couple smiled at the children's imagination and assured them that they would be safe on their journey. Then they returned aft to talk with the captain.

"How is she running Captain?" Brion asked the dark skinned sailor.

"Not bad my Lord, with these winds we should be across the unknown depths within a day and half to two days." Then he smiled wryly at Brion. "Given that we don't run into any trouble my Lord." Nerelas laughed heartily.

* * *

By nightfall they could see Radigast City the capital of the County of Urnst in the distance off of the port side. The two younglings stared with wonder at the spires that were spaced along the city's outer wall and the huge ballistae that sat atop the wall. Brion explained to them how the ballistae worked and how they were meant to throw projectiles at enemies outside the walls. Matthew listened with rapt attention determined to learn all he could about military life. Kira meanwhile studied when not looking for lake monsters with Matthew or taking in a particular sight. That night they dined with Captain Nerelas and Matthew peppered the good-natured captain with questions about pirates and mermaids. When they had eaten their fill they went out on to the main deck and with much prodding from her Shalafi, Kira put on a small display with some new cantrips she had learned. The crew watched in amazement as she created colored lights, music and ghostly illusions with her magik.

* * *

The next full day passed without incident. The younglings had given up hope of ever coming across a lake monster and had explored as much of the brig as they could with getting into too much trouble. Morning of the third day found Matthew on the foredeck with his new master learning the basics of swordplay. Matthew also looked different; his shaggy blonde hair had been shorn off short except for the beginnings of a small braid behind his right ear. Lord Brion had borrowed some wooden training swords that the 'Queen's crew kept for practice and was teaching Matthew the basic attacks and foot movements.

Just after highwatch they spotted Luekish in the distance, Captain Nerelas decided to put in at the city for a full day to top off supplies and gather information before beginning the much slower trip down the Nesser River. Lord Brion also expressed a desire to head into Luekish's marketplace to purchase some much needed items for Matthew. By mid-afternoon they had docked at the port and decided to go ashore in the morning, they would spend the following night on board and then depart at first light.

Early the next day Brion roused Matthew from his sleep and had him prepare himself for the day. Eryca decided to accompany them and had Kira come along. Brion led his betrothed and their two young charges into the city towards the bustling market area. The first stop was at a tailor shop where Brion had Matthew measured to be outfitted as a squire. A few extra gold crowns ensured that Matthew's new livery would be ready by the afternoon. Then the four walked over to an alchemist's shop to look for a few things that Eryca said she needed, many of the components for her more powerful spells were somewhat hard to acquire on the small island of Walworth so she liked to stock up when she was able to get to the bigger markets. After she had purchased several large containers to be delivered to the ship they left to find Matthew a sword.

They found a good blacksmith and Brion went about the task of finding Matthew a suitable weapon. He explained to the young boy the differences in the various blades, their uses and how to spot a quality blade, after taking his time Brion picked out a rapier and a short battle sword that were just right for the young boys' size and strength. He also purchased a small lightweight chainmail shirt and two wooden training swords. The blacksmith placed the blades in their scabbards and wrapped everything in cloth bound with twine so they could carry them back. Leaving the blacksmith's shop and forge they followed Eryca to the booths that sold cloth and dresses. After selecting some new traveling robes for herself and Kira the foursome began to walk back toward the tailor shop to pick up Matthew's new clothes. The tailor had Matthew's new things ready as promised so they returned to the ship.

* * *

The half-orc assassin stood in the shadows of the darkened room listening to the words of the hideous little creature as it dropped a small black cloth bag into his hand. He loosed the drawstring on the bag and saw a handful of platinum nightingales within the bag. Whatever the individual had done to anger this mage, they were willing to pay a hefty price to see them dead. He looked at the creature and nodded confirming that he would complete the contract as offered. He had heard of these creatures before, with no speech of their own they were the mouth, eyes and ears of whatever powerful mage had created them. It was a hideous unnatural thing and he felt reviled to be in the same room with it but that was sometimes the cost of doing business. The creature paced on the table as it gave him the name, description and location of his victim in its' gravelly voice.

* * *

Looking up at the moonless night the assassin estimated the time to be half-past darkwatch and decided that the time had come. Pulling his black scarf over his pock-marked yellowish face and his dark hood over his head he began to make his way through the now mostly deserted streets of Luekish toward the docks. He pulled his black cloak tighter about himself to hide his leather armor and the various daggers that were strapped to it.

Half-orcs like him were barely tolerated in human cities but a half-orc of his profession would be arrested on sight. As he approached the docks he stuck to the shadows as he looked for the correct ship, when he found it he walked to the bow and found the large line that held it to the pier. Dropping down onto the rope the assassin shimmied along it out over the water towards the ship. When he reached her bulkhead he gripped it and peered over the edge. He saw only one sailor on guard walking the deck, a saber tucked into his belt.

The half-orc silently slid over the bulkhead and dropped noiselessly onto the deck of the brig, hiding in the shadows behind a large coil of rope, he waited for the sentry to pass him. When the sailor was directly in front of him the assassin stepped from his hiding place and grabbed the sentry about the neck. The corded muscles in his yellowish arms flexed as he snapped the guard's neck with only a muffled cry. Lowering the body so as not to make a sound the half-orc waited to see if anyone had heard. Convinced that no one had heard the sailor's muffled shout he moved aft and then below towards the staterooms staying in the shadows as he moved.

The assassin put his ear to the door and listened for the footsteps of a possible guard in the corridor beyond. Hearing no sounds of footfalls he slowly tried the door handle and found it locked. Looking at the lock and determining what pick he needed he selected it from his belt pouch and slid it into the tumblers. He smiled to himself as he heard the quiet click of the lock and felt the handle yield to his gentle pressure. He slipped into the hall that was lined with staterooms for passengers; the crew he knew would be berthed below on one of the lower decks. The assassin put his ear to the doors of the cabins and listened for the deep even breathing that would tell him in which cabin his victim would be sleeping. After checking two doors he found the one that he wanted, trying the handle he found it unlocked. Opening the door a crack he confirmed that he had found the correct stateroom, satisfied the half-orc stepped inside.

* * *

Her senses slowed from sleep, Lady Eryca barely heard the sound of the door to her cabin as it opened. She rolled over and with her blurry vision thought she saw a shadow move across the room from her. As she watched the shadow moved again, it crept slowly so as not to make any noise with its movement. Instantly she closed her eyes and concentrated on the proper words of the spell as she recalled them in her mind, while with her left hand she tried to reach for her dagger. However, try as she might she found herself unable to move. Some invisible force held her tightly to her bed; she could move neither her arm nor her lips to speak aloud the words of her spell. Eryca watched as the shadowy figure reached into its own darkness and drew something forth, what little light there was coming in through the porthole shined on the blade of a dagger. As the figure raised the dagger and moved closer, Eryca summoned all of her strength and managed to force out a scream.

* * *

Lord Brion was startled awake by the scream from across the hall, he bolted upright just in time to see the light glint off of the dagger's edge. He rolled to the deck as he felt the killing strike rush past where his chest had been and heard the thud of the blade into the mattress. He rolled forward knocking the assassin off of his feet, then springing to his feet the naked warrior reached for his sword belt hung at the foot of his bed. In the dark Brion felt his hand close around the hilt of his dagger and he pulled it from its scabbard. He leaped at the dark assassin just as the half-orc managed to pull his dagger free from the bedding. The two men wrestled in the dark each trying to sink their blade into their opponent. The assassin managed to throw the human off and regain his footing. Brion had smelled the sweaty stench and knew he faced a half-orc. The half-breed was naturally taller and stronger than him; however, being an assassin he would not be used to direct combat.

Surging forward Brion threw his shoulder into where he thought the half-orcs knees would be in the dark. He was pleased with himself when he heard the snapping sounds of ligaments in one of the assassin's knees. The half-orc howled in pain as he felt a fire explode inside his knee. He tried to grab at his target but the accursed human was naked and he could not get a grip on him. Just as the assassin fell to the deck with a thud that knocked the air from his lungs he felt the human warrior land a solid blow to his jaw that made his head spin. Frightened the assassin stabbed wildly with his dagger and felt the blade slice into flesh and he heard a grunt of pain from the human, although it did not stop the big human's attack.

Brion grunted as he felt the assassin's wild stab cut into his side, while it pained him the strike hit nothing vital. He continued his assault to overwhelm the half-orc; he drove his own dagger into the assassin's gut. The half-breed howled in pain as Brion withdrew his blade and then plunged it in again. Just then the door burst open and the light of a lantern flooded the stateroom blinding both combatants, Brion rolled off of the assassin just in time to see Captain Nerelas level a crossbow at the half-orc. The captain aimed and fired striking the assassin in the heart killing him instantly. Lord Brion, covered in blood, knelt down and pulled the scarf away from the face, he did not recognize the hired killer. Barnard and William came into the room as the captain left to check on his crew and secure the ship.

"Are you okay son? Barnard asked looking at Brion's wound.

"I'm fine Father, it's just a cut."

William knelt down and checked the corpse for a life beat, satisfied the assassin was dead he proceeded to search the body. He found several daggers, a few vials of poison and the small bag of coins but nothing that indicated who had hired the assassin.

Suddenly Eryca burst into the cabin; her eyes immediately went to Brion. Ignoring the half-orc's blackish blood that covered him she ran to him and threw her arms around his neck. She sobbed into his chest and he held her tight trying to comfort her. When she was able to breathe again he loosened his grip on her and looked at her quizzically, taking a deep breath Eryca did her best to explain herself.

"I was sleeping and I had a premonition. I saw my door open and the assassin's dagger as he crept closer, only when I tried to defend myself did I realize it was a vision. The premonitions cause a sort of sleep paralysis, it was all I could to scream and hope that I could wake someone."

Brion smiled down at her.

"Well your scream is what woke me my Lady, just in time to dodge his killing blow. You saved me and for that I thank you." Brion leaned down and placed a kiss upon her forehead. "You better go back to your cabin now my Lady, we have some cleaning up to do and" he hesitated "I need to put something on."

Eryca looked down at Brion's chest and suddenly realized what he meant. At first she had been so concerned with his safety she had not given any thought to his nakedness but now the danger had passed and she was standing so close to him. Without the normal barriers of clothing to separate them she could feel the extreme heat of his body and his smooth skin under her fingertips. Eryca felt herself flush and she experienced the sensation of butterflies in her nether regions. Smiling demurely to herself she turned and began to leave the room but suddenly she stopped and turned to William.

"Grandfather, may I suggest we ask the Paragon if he is able to commune with the assassin before we dispose of that slime."

William looked at the body and nodded, turning he asked a sailor who had come to the door to wake Paragon Astinos.