A Scientist Turned Porn Star

Story Info
Transcript of actual interview with porno actor Scott Styles.
3k words
4.53
32.3k
4
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

An Interview with Porno Actor Scott Styles

The following interview is real. It was conducted on May 20th, 2008.

Although not a paid journalist, I had the opportunity to interview pornographic actor Scott Styles who resides in beautiful Redondo Beach, California, the same beach town I call home. I had no idea a porn star lived in my vicinity. I'm a certified private fitness trainer and Scott, who had worked as a fitness trainer as his pre-porn career, shares similar interests in health, nutrition and fitness modeling as well as the fitness industry itself. I informed Scott about Literotica and he checked out the site. I told him that Literotica readers enjoy adult films and would love to hear his story and he consented to an interview. The following is a transcript of that interview.

Scott Styles is perhaps a name you've seen in the credits to your favorite adult film. In an industry where the girls take the lead and are in the forefront of the business, it's easy to forget that the industry relies heavily on its male performers as well; and some who, because of their talents and skills in other areas and media, have become a name in themselves. Scott Styles is such a person. His background and pre-porn career/life is unique and you'll find that no other porn star has a remotely similar backstory.

Since 1996, Scott Styles has appeared in more than a hundred hardcore adult films. He has worked for all the major porn companies - Playboy, Wicked, Vivid, Spice, and most others. His co-actresses and partners have include Kim Chambers, Gina Lynn, Sydnee Steele, Devinn Lane, Anais, Lanny Barbie and Nakita Denise among countless other actresses. Standing at 5'10, weighing 195 pounds, with brown hair and blue eyes (and girls, he is equipped with an 8 inch penis!) he is endowed not only with a hot and sexy body, but with a terrific personality and keen intellect.

I was absorbed as Scott talked candidly about his life before porn, his interests, his marriage to adult film actress Kim Chambers, his own porn career, and his current projects. For fans of the adult film business, this is a real treat, since the interview profiles an actor in the biz who is a well-rounded and interesting figure. This is an actual transcript of the interview.

*

Me: You were born in Rockford, Illinois, correct?

Scott: Yes.

Me: Did you grow up there?

Scott: No; until I was 6, Michigan until almost 14, and then moved to Wichita Falls, Texas.

Me: You graduated with a Masters in Molecular and Atomic Physics which enabled you to work for NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas, as a shuttle engineer. What sparked your interest in Physics?

Scott: I watched a program on PBS about Carl Sagan the astronomer and astrophysicist and I was really blown away by it. I wanted to get involved in this world of science. I was always athletic and a very physical guy but I had other interests as well. I used to take stuff apart, like clocks, TV sets, etc; just to see how they worked before putting them together again. I really wanted to understand how things in this world worked. Some people say: "he gave all that up" for porn, but I don't see it that way.

I studied physics because I wanted to learn the most basic of sciences, and that science which encompasses all others. And my time working at NASA was amazing, but I realized at the beginning that I might not be interested in that fairly one-dimensional life. And so I moved on to what I consider bigger and better things, but how I developed my analytical skills remained. I have a broader understanding of the world than I would have otherwise, and it has served me well.

Me: What was it like working at NASA?

Scott: It was an experience of a lifetime. But I had done 80% of what I would do there after a couple years. And the corporate world wasn't the most inspiring to me. Boredom set in eventually, I evaluated, and I was outta there. I realized that I would never work for anyone else again.

Me: So you quit and you moved to California.

Scott: Bit quit. I had begun a personal fitness training business on the side when I was at NASA, so when I quit at NASA I continued that for a few years, until I decided to make the move to Los Angeles to do porn.

Me: Tell me how you got into porn.

Scott: I would have to say that it began as curiosity. I developed an interest in pornography. I had a job doing "strip-o-grams" in college. This was a job in which I would entertain at bachelorette parties or girls' birthday parties. I would show up, strip down to a thong and gyrate a bit, but it was kept very tame.

Me: I've always heard that certain adult film stars start off as strippers before moving into film, and some actresses continue to do live strip shows promoting their movies that way.

Scott: Well, the strip-o-grams were a way to make some extra money and that began to break me out of my shell, I suppose. It was 6 years later that I decided to do porn, so it was something inside that drew me to Los Angeles and entertaining, and porn seemed like a way that would get me to LA and would be fun and lucrative as well. The actual "getting into porn" was interesting in that I made a point to go to see Keisha, an adult film actress who was in Houston at a strip club for a weekend, and was advertised in the newspaper.

I went to see her and talk to her about porn. I approached her while she was on stage, I handed her two physique-style photos with a $10 bill behind each one, as well as a note written on the back of each photo. I handed them to her and asked if she would read them. She said yes, and later called me over to her via the speaker system when she was meeting fans. We talked a bit, and she told me I might be good for porn. It didn't happen right away, but I eventually contacted an agent, made the move, and began doing scenes.

Me: How did you meet adult film actress Kim Chambers? Did she get you into porn?

Scott: No. Before meeting Kim, I had already been working in porn for 6 months. I had done roughly 30 video scenes and 30 magazine shoots before meeting Kim. We were in a group sex scene in a film together. This was back in '96.

Me: Did you start dating her then?

Scott: No, after. We met up again and this time we began to date. We hit it off and liked each other a lot. We were married at Red Rock Canyon, Nevada, outside Las Vegas 8 months later. It was at the base of the spectacular canyon.

Me: So you two were married and you continued doing adult films. Did it ever bother either of you that you were both doing these kind of movies? Was it ever an issue with you two?

Scott: Not at all. We both knew it was just a job. The production companies loved us. They knew we would show up together, we performed well together, and they had less to worry about that way.

Me: Did you and Kim have several sex scenes?

Scott: Oh yeah. Much of the time they would initially hire us both to do separate scenes with other partners, and then would just pair us up out of simplicity, I suppose.

Me: Do you feel the genuine chemistry between you as a married couple could show in the films?

Scott: It was very palpable and I can honestly say that we did have real chemistry both off-camera and on-camera.

Me: How long were you two married?

Scott: For five years. We married in 1998 and divorced in 2003.

Me: Do you think it was a good marriage and that those years were complete?

Scott: Oh yeah. It was a very nurturing marriage.

Me: You've appeared in so many porn movies, most of them hardcore. Did you also direct any movies?

Scott: Yes I did direct a few movies myself. There's "California Sex Patrol" which was a film written, produced, and directed by Kim and myself, and there are about eight films in total. Recently worked on a sexual technique instructional video titled "How to Be a Better Lover : Bedroom Basics"; not yet released, which was partly written by my current girlfriend. It's a video which features myself and three actresses and we physically demonstrate basic bedroom etiquette and sexual techniques, including foreplay and afterplay, shot as an instructional video. I wrote, produced, directed, and was involved in editing it as well.

Me: Which porno was your "debut" film?

Scott: My first hardcore feature was Shayla's Swim Party for VCA in 1996. That wa on VHS, before DVDs. Many older VHS vids have been made into dvds as well now.

Me: When you are doing sex scenes with these actresses, do you feel that there is at least some degree of chemistry involved?

Scott: You know there's more physical chemistry than anything else. And that's because there is usually no emotional connection involved. It's like a one night stand that works out perfectly. I don't know if you've ever had that experience. But it always feels like that. I went thru a stretch when I told directors to surprise me and not tell me who I would be working with in a scene.

I liked that element of surprise. There isn't any chemistry really because the actors aren't encouraged to make friends during a shoot. You have the option and you can definately try to make friends with people you work with but it doesn't always happen. It's mostly about showing up, doing the scene, wrapping up and that's it. I can also say that as far as physical chemistry, the whole thing is more like sexual athletics. Porn actors are like athletes. Hell, many of the actresses are really "acting" and are faking it, but they have that advantage over guys.

Me: So you can say that in some instances the actresses are faking their orgasms? I know that men can't do that. (Laugh)

Scott: (Laughs) Yeah it's true.

Me: What sex scene have you done that you feel was your best?

Scott: Depends! Sometimes a scene just rocks, great athletic sex, chemistry, action, intense sexuality, and the way they shot it or edited it doesn't capture it worth shit. Other times the scene could have been the most laborious, uncomfortable situation, and it comes off great on camera. Regardless, there's always good and not-so-good with every scene.

Me: Best scene as in everything about it worked well, you were satisfied with the whole production. That's what I mean.

Scott: Most of them I'm happy with. One recent movie for Wicked Pictures was really good. The plot was about a pact with a She-Devil, and the sex scene took place on two sets, side-by-side in the same warehouse.

Part 1 was in a normal bedroom, during which began turning into the devil, with some lighting effects and her eyes changing at the end of part 1. Part 2 began two hours later after her make-up, hair, and costume change, and took place on a circular bed with red satin sheets, and the rest of the set was entirely black! I think that scene was really well done. Special effects and make-up were great, and the sexual athleticism was great, too! Looking into her red cat-eyes during the cum shot was pretty interesting, and a definite turn on!

Me: Lots of the higher quality porn are using computer generated graphics and special effects. What about AVN, Adult Video Awards, did you ever win any awards for the films you did?

Scott: Not yet. I've attended AVN awards shows and parties but haven't won an award myself. I was involved in a film that did win some category of the award. It would be great to win, but it won't bother me if that never happens.

Me: If you don't mind my bringing it up, tell us about one incident which I heard about involving black rap artist Snoop Doggy Dog and an AVN Award around 2001. The incident involved you. Something about Snoop being kicked out of an afterparty.

Scott: It's old news. It received some press coverage, too, at the time. I think there was something written about it in Rolling Stone magazine. It was my wife Kim's birthday. Friends had held a joint after party/birthday celebration for Kim, which was held at a hotel in Las Vegas. Snoop Dog and his entourage came in and they took over the adjoining suite. It didn't have to be an issue, but they made it one by being totally disrespectful and causing a disturbance. Security was called and Snoop and his friends were escorted out of the hotel.

Me: Now moving on, tell me. Do you feel that the political climate of the country reflects how porn is made? Is porn different when there's a Republican administration versus a Democrat?

Scott: I don't see any major differences, really. In the 1990's during Clinton's administration, porn was not highly censored, though of course conservative groups are always searching for material in porn that ought to be banned.

Me: So you think there's no connection between how porn is made under either a Republican President or Democrat?

Scott: Even when Bush came to office, I didn't see any significant changes. There is still a category of porn that can be very extreme. I'm not talking just rough, aggressive sex, which some actresses enjoy and don't find degrading. I'm talking about the most disgusting, wild, kinky, perverse stuff; it's been humorous to me during a few scenes, when I've stopped and literally asked, rhetorically, "who watches this stuff?"

Of course, some conservatives have a problem with it, and protest against this subcategory of porn. It's not "mainstream porn", which is what I do and what most of the big American companies in porn are doing. Censorship usually involves that particular kind of extreme, out-of-the-norm porn.

Me: When you did porn in the 90's did you have an issue with the risk of getting AIDS?

Scott: HIV/AIDS is always an issue in the porn business. There was that incident in which an American porn star went to Brazil to do a movie with foreign porn stars. He contracted HIV somehow and didn't know it until his next HIV test a couple weeks later. During that two week period, back in the U.S., he worked with 13 girls, and three of the girls he worked with became HIV positive. When the news broke out, I wanted to know where he was and what he was doing. Turns out my initial suspicion was correct. He was out of the country doing who-knows-what with who-knows-whom.

And to illustrate the point further, out of the 13 girls he had sex with, the 3 girls whom he infected had double penetration anal sex, with internal cum shots. Two men shoved their dicks in one girl's anus and ejaculated into her. No one else contracted it. No other girls, no other guys whom the girls worked with until the first positive test caused a quarantine.

This is the kind of extremely risky stuff that can produce AIDS. It also taught porn stars a lesson. Otherwise, the porn done here in the San Fernando Valley has rarely resulted in a major incident involving HIV and it's generally not a problem. As an industry, we get tested every month, and it's just the normal thing... testing, testing, testing, and being responsible, professional, etc.

Me: The majority of your movies are hardcore. Did you also do any soft-core films?

Scott: I've done a handful. There is "Busty Cops" which is a series and "Alabama Jones And The Busty Crusades", along with a couple others. They were fun to do. The shoots were fun, tongue-in-cheek, relaxed, and quite silly.

Me: I've seen those. They're very funny, the dialogue, the humor. Like cop comedies with girl cops with big boobs.

Scott: Very tongue in cheek.

Me: In "Alabama Jones", which I thought was pretty stupid, you were about the only guy among an all-girl ensemble.

Scott: Yeah. I haven't seen these movies myself. These softcore titles are featured in late night cable. They are an alternative to porn for people who don't really care for the hardcore stuff.

Me: Besides Physics and Astronomy, which was at one time your field of expertise, what other interests do you have?

Scott: Fitness and health. People don't believe me when I tell them my real age. I'm in my 40's. I work out regularly at the gym, 5-6 days a week. I don't do cardio though, other than the effect I get during my weight workout. I diet and exercise. I've recently developed a formula to make into a health/nutrition drink/shake that will be available before long.

Me: Is the fitness thing an endeavor you'd care to return to?

Scott: Definitely. I'd love to continue involved in the fitness industry. But I think that as long as I keep in great shape, I will continue in the adult film business.

Me: You're not ready to quit porn. I'm pretty sure that would make some people happy. (Laugh)

Scott: (laugh)

Me: Scott, it's been a pleasure and I'd like to thank you for taking the time to be interviewed by me.

Scott: Sure. Your welcome. It's been fun.

*

Scott Styles, former NASA engineer, prolific porn star, fitness expert, enterpreneur, one very interesting, well-rounded and intelligent guy. Scott is also a computer expert and runs his own website as well as manages and organizes websites for his friends. For those of you interested, his My Space profile page is here.

To look up his adult movie credits, you can find him at his Internet Movie Database profile page. His Internet Adult Film Database profile is here.