A Second Chance Ch. 01

Story Info
Schrodinger's cat.
2.2k words
4.58
40.2k
26

Part 1 of the 8 part series

Updated 10/26/2022
Created 05/15/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Dad, it's time," Kelly said, looking across the table at her father.

"Time for what?" Matt Crosby, Kelly's dad, asked. He put down his tea cup, waiting her reply.

"It is time for you to let go. How long has it been? Three years?"

Matt knew the answer. It had been 2 years, 11 months, and 17 days since the love of his life had died, killed by a drunk driver, who walked away unscratched. "Kelly, we have talked about this before and I don't want to talk about it now!"

"But Dad, you know Mom would want you to be happy...to go on with your life. I know you loved Mom and still do but you can't go on like this."

"Boy, for someone who just turned 15, you know a lot, don't you? Besides I'm looking around. Just taking it slow."

Kelly shook her head. "Going on the computer and looking at those on-line dating sites? Come on, Dad, really? You expect to find someone for you on there?"

"Okay, you're right about those. I suppose you have someone already picked out for me?"

Kelly avoided looking at her father but Matt knew she already did. "Look at the time. We better get going. I'll miss the bus and you'll be late." Grabbing her books, she kissed him on the cheek and raced out the door. "See you tonight after chorus. Just think about it."

Matt picked up his cup and looked at the clock. He still had a few minutes before he had to leave. Kelly was right. It was time to move on but it wasn't going to be easy. On the 2nd anniversary of Susan's death, he took off his wedding ring for good. He decided then it was time but he did nothing. He just couldn't.

As he thought about it, it wasn't just he couldn't. It was just he didn't know where to start. He never was one for bars and his job wasn't one where he met a lot of eligible women. The only ones he met were the mothers of his sixth grade students. He had met a few single moms and he found one or two attractive but he felt that dating one of them would be awkward.

His wife, Susan was the love of his life. She was his everything. He didn't believe in love at first sight until they met in college. They both knew they were meant for each other. They were inexperienced at love-making so for both of them it was new and exciting and they learned together. Susan told him that the first time they made love was the greatest sex of her life. At that moment she knew she never love another. For Matt, there were many great days, when they got married and when Kelly was born were among them.

He knew the worst day of life. It was when he received that phone call that Susan was involved in a bad accident and he hurried to the hospital. She was already gone by the time he got there. After 19 years together, through thick and thin, she was gone in an instant and his life would never be the same. He never had a chance to say good-bye and now Kelly was telling him it was time to move on.

Matt entered his class and headed for his desk. Already a few of his sixth graders were there. "Hi, Mr. Crosby," they said.

"Morning, girls."

Through the open door from the next classroom, another voice called out. "Good morning, Mr. Crosby."

He walked next door. "Good morning, Miss Walker. Ready to start the day?"

Kristine Walker was Matt's teaching partner. He taught Social Studies and Science, she English and Reading. They had been teaching together for almost fifteen years but had known each other longer. Kristine was Susan's best friend and had been since high school. They were actually more like sisters than friends. They went to college together, became teachers, like Matt and were as close as could be.

Susan and Kris were roommates in college when Matt met her. Friends use to joke that Matt had two girlfriends, a real one and the other to chaperone them. It didn't bother him as he liked Kris. She was easy to get along with and they became close friends. It was hard to explain to his guy friends who always wanted to know if they were lesbians and did he have threesomes?

Even though they acted like sisters, they didn't look it. Susan was blonde with bright, alive, blue eyes. She was petite having been a gymnast in school and could still fit in her wedding dress. She could eat anything and not gain a pound.

Kris had auburn hair with deep green eyes, ones you could drown in if you wanted too. Kris was a gymnast too until she said she started to grow boobs. She was what someone would call full figured. She wasn't fat but she had to watch her weight.

One night a few years after they were married and Kris had been over their house, swimming in the pool, and enjoying a good grilled meal, Susan asked Matt, "So, did you get an eyeful?"

"What?" he answered defensively.

"Don't what me!" she said in mock anger, hands on her hips. "I saw you checking her out. I know you were."

"She does fill out that bathing suit."

"And I don't?"

Matt wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close. He grounded his crotch into her and she could begin to feel him stir.

"Not here, not on the deck. People might see."

He kissed her and then said, "Does that answer your question?"

Susan laughed, "I love you!"

Both girls were each other's bride's maids and Kris was Kelly's godmother. When Kelly was born, Susan called Kris before she called her real sister, they were that close.

Kris had been married, to her high school sweetheart, who turned out to be a complete jerk. Susan actually hated him which was rare for her as she didn't hate anyone. Matt never understood what Kris saw in him. He treated Kris badly and cheated on her. Kristine had spent a few nights at Matt's and Susan's, just get away from him. Susan was the one who helped Kristine through it all. She gave Kris the strength, the support to finally divorce the loser. Susan was there for her all the way.

When Susan died it was Kristine who tried helped in every way possible. Even though she was hurting badly, Kris provided the strength they all needed. In Matt's eyes, it was what she did for Kelly that was most important. She gave their daughter a woman's touch. Kris became a 2nd mom to her and they were still close.

The bell rang to begin the day.

"I just received some great news, Matt," Kris whispered to him, "I'll tell you about it at lunch. I think you'll like it. Have a good day." She brushed her hand across his arm.

By lunchtime, Matt was curious about Kris' great news. "So, what's up?" he said, pulling a chair up to her desk. The two ate lunch together often, usually avoiding the teacher's room. They found that they could get more done by doing this but it also gave them time to discuss non-school things, personal things. None of their colleagues thought it was a big deal though every once in a while someone, usually a new staff member would raise a question or two.

"You remember that Erie Canal unit we put together?"

"How could I forget it? It took us over a year to pull it together. It has all the bells and whistles. It was pretty awesome if I do say so myself. We make a pretty good team."

Kris smiled. "Yes, we do," she thought to herself. "Well, administration thought so too," she said. "They submitted it to a national conference to be held in Las Vegas and it was chosen for a presentation there."

"That's great, Kris. Las Vegas," Matt said. "When do you go?"

"You mean, 'When do we go?' I told admin it is just as much yours as it is mine."

Matt shook his head. "So I'm going to?"

"I told them we both go or nobody goes. So pack your bags we leave next Thursday and we're back Sunday. All expenses paid. I'll take care of everything."

Matt picked up his Coke. "To us!"

Over dinner, Matt told Kelly about the trip. "That's great, Dad. I can stay over at Emmy's house. I'm sure her mom won't mind. I'm so excited for you!"

"Good," Matt said clearing the table. "I'll talk to her mom after you talk to her. I want to make sure myself." Putting the dishes in the sink, he turned. "Now, do you want to finish the conversation we started this morning?"

Kelly was surprised yet ready to talk. "Sure, Dad."

"Let's sit." Matt placed two bowls of ice cream on the table as the two sat down. "You brought it up this morning so you start."

Kelly knew what she wanted to say and once she started, the words flowed easily. "Dad, it is time for you to start dating again. Mom would want you to be happy and have some fun. All work and no play, you know. I don't mean you have to have a serious date, but how about a steady one. You need a woman in your life."

"How do you know that?"

"You're only 36."

Matt interrupted, "35."

"Okay, 35. You are still a fairly young guy and even though you're my dad, I know women find you good looking."

He laughed. "Give me a piece of paper so I can write their names down."

"Seriously, Dad!"

"Okay, I'm sorry. It sounds like you have this woman all picked out for me. It's not Mrs. Hayes, Cindy's mother from soccer."

"No, Dad," Kelly shook her head. "It's Kristine."

Matt leaned back in his chair. He could tell by the look on Kelly's face she was serious and also it was important to her. No time for jokes.

"Wow," Matt said softly. "Kris is a good friend, a real good friend but..."

"That's just it, Dad," Kelly said. "You already know her and like her. You know how I feel about her. All the hard and uncomfortable stuff has already happened so what are you afraid of? What could happen?"

"What could happen?" Matt thought. "If I try to change our relationship to more than a friend and colleague and Kris doesn't want to, what then? Or worst, she agrees and we give it a try. Then it fails. I could lose her friendship."

"Schrodinger's Cat, Dad,"

"What?" Matt asked, coming out his thoughts.

"You know, Schrodinger's Cat."

"Yes, I saw 'The Big Bang Theory' last night," Matt said. "What's that got to do with this?"

"You'll never know until you open the box, Dad."

Matt reached out and tussled her hair. "OK, I will think about it."

He thought about it all weekend. Kelly had made some pretty good points and it was obvious she had thought it out fairly well. Kris and Kelly did get along real well and it did settle the question that any new woman in Matt's life would have to do that. What surprised him was that he began to think about Kris in a sexual way. He hadn't thought about any woman that way for a long time but he found it easier than expected to think about her like that. He was excited it

The next morning before the students came in; Matt was standing in the doorway between the two classrooms. Kris had her back to him and was bent over the desk, looking for something. She didn't know he was there. He found himself staring at her ass. He realized that she had a nice firm looking one and he wanted to walk over and grab it. He couldn't remember ever thinking about doing that to Kris. Now he liked the thought.

In the distance, he could hear his name.

"Matt?" Kris said looking over her shoulder but not straightening up. "Are you all right?"

Suddenly shaken from his thoughts, he replied, "Yeah."

Kris walked over towards him. "How long have you been standing there?" She asked it with a sly smile and twinkle in her green eyes.

Matt watched her come closer. Kristine Walker was one beautiful woman. Maybe Kelly was right. Perhaps it was time to open the box.

"Just came over to tell you that Kelly is all set and I'm really looking forward to going with you. I think we'll have great time together."

"Good," Kris replied. "I took care of the flight and the room so everything is all set. Can't think of anything else, can you?"

"No."

At that moment there was an awkward pause. The two found themselves standing very close together in the doorway. He could smell her soft perfume, she his cologne. Kris touched his arm and Matt moved his hand to rest on her hip.

The room filled with the sound of happy voices. "Hey, Mr. Crosby! Good morning, Miss Walker!" the children said.