A Strange Reality

Story Info
What if?
772 words
3.69
12.5k
2
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The world we live is strange. There is nothing to tell us why we're here or how we came to be. Our senses are so limited, we are barely aware of the Universe we live in. In fact, we cannot even begin to understand how we live or think.

In all of literature, no one has ever offered a hypothesis to explain the almost universal belief in a higher power (the super natural), let alone spirits, ghosts, UFO's, ESP, life, gravity, magnetism or even belief itself.

Until now, that is.

Before Louis Pasteur, the microscopic world of microorganisms was completely unknown. Microscopes give us the ability to peek into the world he discovered about as much as you could see of Yellowstone through a keyhole. And yet, we have learned a few things about this strange form of life.

For example, we know that no matter how man came to be, whether he was created or evolved, microbes were here a very, very long time before us. We also know that microorganisms adapt or evolve at least a trillion times faster than we do and we've learned that even the simplest single celled plant or animal contains a mind boggling amount of information in the form of DNA code.

So what if they are intelligent? If they were, what would our science allow us to conclude about their perspective of the world and us.

Before we answer those questions, let's determine if it's worth the effort by asking, Is it possible?

Thirty years ago scientist were absolutely sure the answer was no, but today, they're actually working to build quantum computers that can store information in subatomic particles. And they are building nano devices that are much smaller than even virus'. If we can do it, how much easier would it be for them? Actually, we can't directly manipulate the components of nanobots, we just create the conditions under which they assemble themselves in a way very similar to the way DNA replicates.

And, if they adapt or evolve a trillion times faster and they been around a million times longer, surely they would have advanced a whole lot farther. They'd certainly be able to manipulate DNA which is all it would take to create humans. In fact, they would probably be able to organize planets and stars.

So, you ask, if they're so smart, why aren't they talking to us? Oh, but they are!

Virtually every person on earth will admit to inspiration, intuition, dreams or in some cases, ESP. A vast majority of all the people who ever lived believe in god, spirits or some other form of supernatural entity. Even the majority of modern scientist believe.

If you can't accept the possibility that these intangible things are a form of communication, try looking at it from their perspective. If you were the size of a germ, a man would be the size of a small moon. How would you talk to it? You,re too small to create vibrations in the air he could hear. He can't see you except under conditions that are at least unpleasant if not lethal for you. Until recently, mankind did not have sensors that could detect any of the electrical energy or the electromagnetic radiation produced by individual cells and even now, we have no idea how many signals there are that we still can't detect.

And that's just the first half of the problem. You'd still have to find a common frame of reference. You can talk to your dog and there is often enough understanding for a limited communication because you've shared enough experiences to have a common frame of reference. But how are you going to share experiences with the moon? And keep in mind that it's probably a long ways below moron level in comparison to your intelligence (that's assuming your the smaller part of the conversation).

If you're now ready to accept the possibility that microorganisms could be intelligent, there is only one reason you could have to not conclude they have the ability to govern the universe. A single microbe or a single man can't, by itself, have a major effect on its environment. And you're absolutely right. A single cell in your brain can't reason.

But obviously, the cells in your brain have organized to share information in a way that allows you to reason, so the only thing necessary for microorganisms to be way ahead of homosapiens is a method of sharing and it's obvious that they found at least one way to do it, because if not, you wouldn't be able to read my stories.