A Study in Scarlet Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Blue88
Blue88
1,148 Followers

Thoughts of his wife again entered his mind, causing a slight frown, a deepening of the lines in his face. Their 20th anniversary was fast approaching and the uneasiness he felt about their relationship marred the thought of what should be a happy event. He couldn't fathom what was happening to them. After almost two decades of marital love and affection, things had deteriorated.

It was so slow, so gradual, that he hadn't really even noticed it until recently, but the lack of affection, the indifference, even perhaps a smidgeon of disrespect, were becoming all too apparent. The little spats, the avoidance of physical affection were now all too common, and now, looking back over the past few months or so, John was finally aware that real problems had crept into their marriage. To compound the problem even further, John was uncertain as to exactly how to confront Esther and what steps to take to improve their relationship. John recognized why he was reluctant to bring up the deterioration of their relationship with his wife. He knew first hand how sharp her tongue had become and just didn't want to get into another bitter argument with her.

"Shit," he thought to himself. "Has it really gotten so bad that I can't bring myself to even talk to her?" he wondered.

John was startled by a soft voice at his ear. "Hey, buddy, buy a girl a drink?"

He turned a bit and saw Irene at his side which provoked a small smile. "Renee," he blurted out. "What on earth are you doing here? You're the last person I would have expected to see."

"I stop by every few weeks, John - for old times sake. Order a gin and tonic for me. I'll be right back, I have to pee." Those words were flung over her shoulder as she hurried to the rest rooms. John looked after her with a small smile of affection on his face, admiring the way her hips swivelled under her tight skirt.

Dr. Irene Adler, a striking beauty in her late thirties, was a more than attractive woman. Tall and well built with bosoms thrusting out aggressively, as if daring any mere male to encroach. Her dark, shoulder length hair and flashing dark brown eyes made her stand out in any gathering. She was now the assistant chair of the Drama and Performing Arts department, no small feat for the first of her family to attend and graduate university. She and John had been friends since their graduate days and he and Esther had suffered with her through two divorces and countless abortive relationships. John considered Irene his closest friend and he truly valued that relationship.

It wasn't long before she returned and slid onto a stool next to his. Picking up her drink, she turned and said, "Okay, Johnny. What's the problem?"

"Why do you think there's a problem, and what's all that bull about you stopping here? I'm sure that you rarely stop here," John retorted, but without a bite to his words.

Irene laughed and took a small sip. "Okay, Sherlock. I saw that heap you call a car outside as I was driving by and wondered why the hell you were here. So I decided to stop and see if it was really you in here. Happy now?"

John gazed at her with real affection. There was no lasciviousness in that look, he truly valued Irene as a close friend and trusted her totally, one reason perhaps why he unburdened himself to her so easily. She sat there and listened as John confessed his frustration and puzzlement as to what had happened to his marriage. She sensed the anger underlying the torrent of words pouring from him and put her hand on his arm, trying to, at least in small part, allay his torment.

John finally paused, he seemed to be wrung out, empty, yet he felt a bit of relief. He realized that he needed this catharsis, this sharing, this purging of what had been agonizing him for so long, and who better than with his closest friend.

Irene had sat listening with a sense of deep sorrow at her friend's grief. She had never realized how much he had been hurting and for so long. John had always had the ability to sublimate his emotions, so it was with a bit of a shock that she discovered this rift between her good friends. She truly had no answer for him, but she couldn't make herself believe that the love that John and Esther shared was so fragile. Something was going on.

"John," Irene interrupted. "John, look at this objectively, as difficult as that may be now. What you're describing is an accumulation of many small and isolated events and incidents. There's got to be a reason why things have gotten so bad, but you're describing the symptoms not the cause. Something must have happened to create the present situation. You've got to look for the cause. Have you done anything that really and truly angered Esther? Has she done anything to anger you? I can't believe that you two just drifted into apathy and indifference - there has to be a reason," concluded Irene.

John sat there, shaking his head. "I don't know, Renee. I just don't know. I can't put my finger on anything particular thing that has happened over the past few months. It's true, it seems as if we just drifted into this morass and I don't know what to do about it."

"How about talking to her, John. Why not just sit down and talk to her. It could be as simple as that," Irene said gently.

"We've tried, we've tried. A rational conversation then turns into a spat, she accusing me of being paranoid and me losing patience with her. It just isn't working, damn it. It just isn't working," John replied his voice fading.

********************

That same afternoon, in another part of town, Dr. John Watson's wife, Esther Watson, was leaning back in her office chair, staring steadily at the tall, blond man seated opposite her. Her frank appraisal was not covert, she made no attempt to hide her obvious evaluation. Esther had a slight smile on her face - she was quite aware of Jim Moriarty's intent. He had been trying for months to seduce her, but she had been able to laugh him off.

"Damn," her thoughts ran. "He's still hot . He almost makes me wet just looking at him, but that's all that I'm going to do - just look. He certainly isn't worth my marriage, not that I seem to have much of a marriage now." That thought turned her smile bitter.

"Jim," she said. "It's been now over half a year since you've been transferred back and it's obvious that you haven't changed one bit. You're still a relentless womanizer. Why not get married again, then you won't have to hunt so relentlessly?"

"Jeez, Essie," chuckled Moriarty. "I'm just trying to be friendly, why get so defensive. You're a gorgeous woman and any real man would love to get into your panties. Do I have to say it again? - your husband is an idiot. He's more interested in his books than he is in you and you know that I'm right."

"You want me, I know you want me," he said to himself. "I see it in your eyes, and it will happen, Esther. It will happen."

Esther bit her lip and looked away. Moriarty's remarks hit closer to home than he realized. She was not unaware of the coolness that had developed between herself and John. They seemed to be drifting apart and his occasional snide remarks about lawyers and sharks did nothing to close the rift. She also had to admit that she was goaded to reply in kind, denigrating his profession. Years ago little remarks like these were meant to be funny without any bite, but now......well, now it was different. They just seemed to antagonize each other.

"Maybe I should have told John about Jim being transferred back here?" she wondered again silently. "I was just afraid at how he'd react. I just didn't want to open that can of worms again. I just pray that not telling him wasn't a mistake."

Esther's attention returned to Moriarty. "Look, Jim, let's not go there. My home life is off limits, leave it alone."

Moriarty just smiled. "Okay, Es. Just remember, I'm always here for you. You know you have a friend here."

"Yeah, a real friend," replied Esther with a grimace. "I'm not brain dead, Jim. I know what you want - your tongue's hanging out of your mouth. Go chase after some of the young stuff, but keep it out of the office. Now get back to work, we have to finalize the Simmons contract."

Moriarty laughed as he stood, then leaned over the desk and gently brushed her lips with his before she could react. He then turned and strolled out, humming to himself.

Esther sat still for a moment, breathing heavily, ashamed to admit even to herself that that small gesture had affected her so much. She put her fingers to her lips and felt a frisson of excitement, aware of how long it had been since her husband had even attempted to touch her with any degree of affection. "Is this where all of the flirting with Jim will lead? Would she really give in and have an affair?" she wondered silently to herself. Shaking her head, she dismissed those thoughts quickly.

Esther's phone rang and she turned to it with a gesture of impatience. She recognized Stan Hopkin's voice, one of the senior partners.

"Es, you're finishing up on that Simmons contract, right?", he asked.

"Sure, Stan," she replied. "It's been taking up our time for months now - as you know. Why? Is there a problem?"

"Nah, I don't think so, but it looks like you guys are going to have to fly up to see him on Monday, he's decided that he can't make it down here as scheduled and he wants the thing finished and done with then."

"Damn it, Stan," Esther protested. "It's Friday now and we'll have to come in tomorrow to get the thing finished. We're going to be cutting it really close. Don't forget, I've only had Jim working with me on this."

Stan sighed, "I know, I know, Essie. I'll get you some help tomorrow, but we'll probably have to work late. I can't make it tonight and I want you to get some rest also. Let's come in early tomorrow and you and Jim should be able to finish the damn thing by the end of the day. I'll inform him as soon as I hang up."

Esther ended the conversation with a half-hearted okay. She sat for a moment, agitated, knowing that this would probably cause another spat with John. He had been complaining about her work load and she recognized that she had been putting her career ahead of her marriage. Esther had a feeling of foreboding and she prayed that this wouldn't be the "straw" that precipitated a battle royal.. She would have a conversation with John, he would understand. Once this project was finished they would devote more time to themselves, perhaps go on a long delayed vacation. She knew that over the past few months she had been short and impatient with John, snapping at him for little reason. She vowed to herself that things would change as soon as this project was finished.

********************

In his office, leaning back in his chair with his feet on his desk, James Moriarty, Esq. smiled grimly. He knew that Esther was vulnerable, that she would eventually be on her back for him. He had never forgotten that New Year's Eve and the confrontation with her prick of a husband. He had been humiliated, transferred, and his career short changed, but he was back now, back and with a burning desire for revenge. He knew that the best way to pay back Dr. John (fucking) Watson was to make Esther his slut and he was confident that he could accomplish that task.

********************

The weather had grown cooler and there was now a bite in the air, but, thank goodness, the rain had stopped and John was anxious to get home. He was disappointed to discover that the house was dark as he drove onto the driveway.

"Shit," he muttered to himself. It looked like another late night for Esther and his lips tightened into a bitter grimace. He was startled when a pair of headlights pulled up beside him and he saw Esther's car nestled next to his. Hiding his surprise he exited his car and awaited her by the door.

"Hi, sweetie," she chirped. "Great, we made it home at the same time. How about we freshen up and I'll treat you to dinner. Let's go someplace really nice tonight, ok, honey?"

"Sweetie? Honey?" John said to himself wonderingly. He had a bad feeling. Esther was acting much too girlish, almost giddy. Something rotten is coming. One didn't go from indifference to an almost fawning affection overnight. John figured that he would play along and see what she really had in mind for him. He just knew that something was coming.

Despite John's misgivings, he and Esther had a lovely dinner and were able to converse with what almost seemed like real warmth. John felt encouraged, perhaps they could turn the corner and rediscover the reasons why they had fallen in love and married. During the evening John had, for the first time in ages, really looked at his wife. He saw, with perhaps a smidgeon of guilt, that Esther was truly a lovely, mature woman and despite her 40 odd years she still exuded a sensuality that aroused him.

Perhaps he was equally at fault in the problems they were having. Perhaps he had not paid her the attention she deserved; perhaps he was too involved in his career, robbing him of the time to nurture his marriage. John vowed that he would make more of an effort to strengthen the marriage, ............as long as Esther did also, he temporized. He wasn't a total fool - he recognized that the blame could be ladled out equally, but he would make the effort. It would be stupidity itself to allow the marriage to continue to deteriorate through something as silly as inactivity.

Esther was encouraged. She saw John relax and start to open up a bit. She also noticed him looking at her with some real desire in his gaze. She felt a surge of affection for her husband and again considered herself a lucky girl to have found someone like John. She again vowed that she would work to strengthen their relationship. Please, God - just let her get through this damn Simmons thing. Once that was over she could devote her full attention to her marriage.

Esther cuddled into John's arm on the drive home. It didn't take long before they had the car parked in the garage and were enveloped in the warmth of the living room where John had started a fire. Glasses of wine were poured and a soft melody was coming from the stereo. Irene knew that she would have to tell her husband that she would have to go into work tomorrow and then the trip out of town on Monday.

She knew that wouldn't go over too well and she bit her lip as she tried to frame that information in a way that wouldn't precipitate another argument. She wondered if she should wait until tomorrow to tell him about having to work tomorrow and the out of town trip, but decided that he would become even angrier if she told him at the last minute. She braced herself - she knew that this wasn't going to be easy.

"Honey, I have good news. This whole Simmons thing is almost finished and then we both can go back to having a normal life. I know that it's been difficult for you and for me also, but it'll be done in just a few more days. I have to go into work tomorrow to finish the final draft and then we'll be flying out on Monday to meet with him and his staff. It'll then be......."

"I don't need to know anything more, Esther," John snapped, interrupting her. "It's very obvious how important your career is to you. It's also obvious that it's a hell of a lot more important than your marriage - at least your marriage to me. You don't have to explain - it's the same old bullshit. I've heard it all before - I've been hearing it for years."

John turned to leave the room, but before climbing the stairs he turned back and stood looking at her. She sat there, unshed tears glistening in her eyes.

"Think, Essie. Think about what you really want. Think about that during the weekend and the following days. I'll do the same." With that he again turned, climbed the stairs and entered the guest room where he undressed and climbed into bed. It was awhile before he was able to fall asleep, most of the night was spent gazing up at the ceiling.

Esther was up early. She took a quick shower and dressed casually in skirt and sweater. She took little time with her hair this time, pulling it into a pony tail. Not stopping for breakfast she grabbed her briefcase and was out the door quickly. She had no desire to even see her husband. Her anger at his biting words the evening before still smoldered and she wondered how long he would be her husband if they continued as they had been, but brushed those thoughts aside for now. She had to concentrate on getting this work project finished and over with. The problems with her marriage would just have to wait until a more appropriate time.

John awoke late that morning, well after Esther had left. He felt haggard and fatigued; what little sleep he did manage was filled with anxiety and anger. He went through the motions after getting out of bed: shower, shave, etc - managing to finally get downstairs where he made himself a pot of coffee. He did notice that the kitchen was unused - Esther had not even paused to make coffee and he felt a stab of remorse for a moment.

John sat at the table, his head in his hand, the steaming cup of coffee sitting untouched before him. His head was throbbing, the aspirin consumed upon rising not yet working. His anger had cooled and he was now berating himself for over reacting. John knew that he shouldn't have snapped at his wife as he did. He also knew that he had been short tempered and abrupt with Esther for months now and he truly didn't know why he had become such a bully. Then again, he also knew that she often seemed impatient with him and would have a tendency to reply in kind, precipitating another row.

John was anything if not analytic. His mind roamed over the past months, searching for reasons for the conflict that had permeated their relationship. He couldn't put his finger on any single event or occurrence; it almost seemed to come out of nowhere. It was almost as if they went from a loving and devoted couple to warring nations.

"What the hell has happened?", he asked himself. "Why have we become so antagonistic, so uncaring? It's almost as if the love we have for each other has just quietly dissipated over the last few months."

John shook his head impatiently and vowed that he would fight for his marriage. He knew that he loved Esther and whatever the problems were, he would fight to conquer them. He also vowed to control his temper and not surrender to churlishness. His thoughts returned to the dinner the evening before and a reluctant smile came to his lips. He knew that he loved his wife and last evening was proof that the spark was still there. He grimaced as he realized that he had really behaved badly in reaction to Esther's news about working today and then the trip out of town. He should have lost his temper, he knew that now.

John looked at his watch and saw that it was well after 11:00 a.m. He suddenly grinned at a thought. He would surprise Esther at work and see if she could come out for lunch with him. He had to come up with a plan to rekindle their love and the first thing would be for him to become more understanding and considerate. He knew that Esther had a demanding and stressful job and he just had to make up his mind to be more supportive, something he should have been doing all along. He nodded to himself - now that's a plan. He knew that if he vowed to become a better husband Esther would see the change and react in kind.

Driving to his wife's law office, John was humming to himself when suddenly he felt the familiar thunk-thunk of a flat tire. Cursing to himself, he pulled into the parking lot of the diner a few blocks from his destination. Standing next to his car he resigned himself to a forced delay and called the road service people on his cell phone. When he was informed that they would be 30 minutes to an hour, he shrugged and decided to have a quick bite in the diner. Lunch with Esther would have to be postponed. It's a good thing that he hadn't called first, he thought.

Blue88
Blue88
1,148 Followers