A Wicked Stepfather Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh dear, what a let-down for a career journalist."

"You will face three options of going elsewhere, accepting the role or digging in and accepting another bonus-related position to grow the size and prestige of the newspapers within the group and contributing to increasing profitability. A bonus based on profitability might be something not to be sneezed at."

"Okay, so where do you see your future role if you stay aboard?"

"Initially learning the ropes as general manager of commercial print and then to succeed Jenna as group MD when she succeeds the current chairman who hopefully will be besotted by her third husband."

"God, you are an optimist," Brigit grinned, lifting her glass to the bartender and raising two fingers.

She said, "By the way, I must compliment you for the caring concern you showed for Sloan on discovered her condition after her ordeal. In my opinion you behaved immaculately and made astute decisions that saved that poor young woman from being exposed for her moments of madness to everyone around her. I still cannot believe that you as a male could exhibit such tenderness to a woman you'd only just met. Compare yourself to that brute who ravished her and you'll realize what I'm on about."

"I saw her as a person in need of help, not as a woman and not as a man. To me the distinction was unnecessary."

"Well, I salute you. No other man I know of would have acted quite as you did."

"What about your own husband?"

"Ah yes. That really does prove my point. I'd expect him to decree: 'Stupid young bitch... she got only what she should have seen coming. Call the medics'. Perhaps that makes you understand what I'm saying."

"I guess it does. Thank you Brigit and I really mean that."

As they parted she said, "Oh, I have just thought of something about your comment of the presses running at weekends. Every time they run the job and times are logged as part of maintenance scheduling. The loggings are mandatory and if no job was put down that would be noticed and followed up."

"Ah good, leave that with me."

Two days later Brigit announced Eva Mitchell had accepted the additional responsibility of acting as deputy news editor and the deputy chief sub-editor would have the additional role of the new post of deputy features editor. She appeased Jed the chief sub by arranged undercover parking in the company parking lot he'd been on about for some years at the time of annual salary and benefit reviews.

"Why have I been given this appointment?" Eva asked Eliot a little tersely.

He laughed and teased, saying it had little to do with her past feat in saving his life except he required someone at his side he knew he could trust. It also was not related to sex because he accepted she was happily married.

"You were news editor designate before my arrival and are destined for a senior role if and when reorganization of this newspaper occurs. I, too, have an additional role to perform." Eliot then quietly briefed Eva about the investigation and said as soon as the city edition was put to bed each day he'd like her to hand over to her deputy and then to work alongside him, starting by thoroughly investigating the backgrounds of Peter Cruickshank and commercial print operations manager Wes Gould."

"So only Eloise and Brigit know about this investigation?"

"Yes, and Jenna who is likely to rejoin the company soon. Brigit will approve all unauthorized expenditure you find necessary to make without prior consultation."

"Are you sure about that? It sounds like you have authority over Brigit?"

"Only insofar as this investigation is concerned," Eliot smiled bleakly. "I report directly to the chairman. We are not certain we will uncovered anything; it could be an expensive exercise in fertility."

"But you don't think it will be?"

"No but enough said."

CHAPTER 6

Eliot had decided not to say anything to Jenna about her father and Sloan but just before midnight on the day of that dreadful incident Sloan called to thank him, saying she felt very much better and thanked him profusely.

As Eliot put his phone back on the bedside cabinet and thinking he had no explaining to do, Eliot felt Jenna's arm snake around his neck and she pulled him to her.

"A sexy-voiced young woman calling you at midnight. What are you up to your naughty boy?"

As Eliot began the story Jenna sat up, turned on the light at looked at him appalled as Eliot continued. When he finished she slammed a fist against the padded bed-head and snarled, "The repulsive, evil jerk."

"Calm down," Eliot said nervously. "Sloan accepts responsibility for making it too easy for him."

For that Eliot received a withering looked followed by an incredulous look when he urged Jenna to say nothing to her mother.

"What!" she yelled.

"No one at the office is aware of exactly what happened. It was handled as if Sloan suffered food poisoning."

"My mother has the right to know."

"The need for this investigation to proceed as smoothly as possible is greater than your mother's right to know. Just remember, Sloan could be of use to this investigation."

They glared at each other in mounting tension until Eliot's gazed drifted to Jenna's chest hidden from him by the sheet. He felt a stir in the area of his groin and said with yokel simplicity, "You look extremely fuckable when riled."

Initially she appeared outraged but a smile leaked through and her teeth showed in a non-threatening manner. She pulled him on to her chest and whispered, "Then do something about it darling."

Instantaneous sexual gratification is one of nature's great elixirs. They finished in a sweaty hug and not moving went to sleep contently.

In the morning Jenna thanked Eliot for telling her about her predatory stepfather's outrageous action. "I'm more than ever decided about my return to the company where hope to assist to help nail the jerk for fraud," she said.

"Then you will succeed better if you conceal your contempt of him," Eliot advised. "You ought to keep in mind this is about suspected fraud."

"Yes, you're right. I'll not wait to put my business on the market. I have a girlfriend in the same business although she is unlikely to pay market value."

"What about offering it to your employees?"

"I don't think so. They are young without money."

Eliot grinned and suggested she should at least talk to them about it. They would have family perhaps with money to lend short-term and Jenna could consider bankrolling the operation until the young women found their feet financially.

"Y-e-s," she said thoughtfully as she kissed her lover who was off to make it to the office for his 7:30 start time.

She left for the mall an hour later and went to the south wing and talked to Georgette Young, who was just opening her lingerie shop, assisted by her daughter.

After the usually friendly greetings, Jenna said, "Georgette I need to find a buyer quickly for my business because I'm returning to the Clouston publishing company. I have a friend who is interested and my girls could be interested but I'm seeking full market price."

"Sorry Jenna, but our specialty is supplying to older women. We are not interested..."

"But I am mom. Please."

Georgette looked at her daughter thoughtfully and said to Jenna she'd have coffee with her at 11:00. By then she could be interested."

* * *

Released from his newspaper duties at 1:00, Eliot then began a recruiting drive to secure the four middle management executives for his task force. Not unexpectedly their superiors all opted to be the representative but when Eliot described the painstaking grind they pointed to their deputies and all four accepted Eliot's invitation. One was from commercial print, one from new subscriptions and circulation, one from administration and one from advertising. They were told they'd meet from 1:00 to 5:00 each weekday, beginning the next day.

Eliot had to wait almost an hour before Peter was free to see him.

Peter congratulated Eliot for the 'crisper look' to the editorial pages of the Clarion and noted it now had a more localized content, made possible by the tighter presentation of national and foreign news coverage and reduced use of 'patsy' articles from subscription services.

"Thanks Peter, I'm not surprised to hear such decisive comment from you, being a longtime newspaper man."

Peter looked pleased at the comment and grinned. "Brigit said at the editorial board meeting the other day that it was amazing that you had bad-tempered Jed Mason almost eating out of your hand. He scares her shitless, not that she'd ever admit to that."

They laughed and Eliot handed across the names of his committee of four for approval and suggested Peter email them, copied to their principals, appreciating their support and anticipating they would give the project their best shot and briefly explain the objectives and adding he would personally be keeping a close eye on the project.

Peter frowned. "They are smart enough to figure all that out, don't you think?"

"Yes, but the real purpose of your message is to underpin the point you have confidence in their chairman without actually stating that."

Grinning, Peter said, "Well, why don't you draft the email for me?"

Remaining straight-faced Eliot handed Peter the draft email he'd already prepared. It was read and Peter smiled approvingly and said, Well done, you have senior exe potential. I'll have my PA send this off as soon as you leave, copied to you. Thank you."

Peter then looked at the door so Eliot knew it was time to depart. Looking at the smoothly-groomed guy in his $2000 suit he thought what a lazy asshole and wondered where the creamed off backhanders were secreted. He glimpsed the computer notebook on the desk half-turned toward him and noting the screensaver revolving behind a log-in slot long enough for eight or perhaps ten keystrokes breathed bingo, assuming that device could hold all of Peter's black-hearted secrets. Oh Eliot, he mused. How could you be so callous about a guy who must be considered innocent unless proven guilty? Then Peter's not a stealing scum bag? Oh yeah?

Peter handed Eliot back the draft email and called, "Luciana send off this email Eliot will hand you. Shut the door behind you Eliot."

Eliot handed the paper to the raven-haired beauty who had 'sex pot' written all over her and wondered if she could actually use the computer keyboard in front of her. She'd not been at her desk when he'd arrived.

"Hi Luciana. I'm Eliot Nephew from editorial. Are you a temp? I was introduced to Gabriel the other day."

"No Gabriel is no more, gone after finding herself unexpectedly pregnant. Her husband was supposedly unable to make babies."

That encouraged Eliot to think uncharitably guess who impregnated Gabriel? He smiled and said he hoped Luciana would enjoy working for the company.

"Oooh, I will," she enthused. "Peter is ever so sexy. All my previous bosses have been ogres in comparison.'

"Keep your legs crossed," Eliot whispered and was told he looked pretty hot.

Eliot went to the far end of the corridor where the last door was marked private.

He knocked and entered and the frosty Mrs Adams gritted, "Yes?"

Well, at least Peter will be assured his wife is not having it off with her PA, Eliot grinned.

"Eliot Nephew to see Mrs Cruickshank."

"Has she summonsed you here?"

"No, I've just dropped in."

Mrs Adams consulted her diary. "Two-twenty is the only slot I have available today."

"Forget it."

He was almost out of the door when Eloise's office door opened and she tossed a file on Mrs Adams' desk and looking up smiled. "Oh hello Mr Nephew. Are you here to see me?"

"Yes, you had asked me to personally report to you after my first few days here."

"Please come in for a minute. I am busy today but have time for you. Hold the delegation Alice."

"Yes Mrs Cruickshank."

Eloise closed the door and Eliot took the liberty of kissing her cheek simply because he was the current preferred choice of her daughter. He whiffed expensive perfume and felt her chest and belly push into his side and thought, naughty girl Mrs Cruickshank.

They stepped apart.

"I haven't seen Jenna this happy in years. Whatever you are giving her is obviously very good for her."

Holding a slight blush Eliot answered adroitly, "Attention and kindness are two big ingredients to companionship, don't you think?"

He received a huge smile.

They stood close to whisper in case the room was bugged.

He whispered, "I noticed a computer notebook on Peter's desk. I was reporting to him on the group I've appointed to the taskforce. Is that his personal notebook?"

Eloise nodded and shook her head when asked if she knew the access password but cheered Eliot when adding Peter took it home with him and kept it in the safe to which she had access.

"Would you and Jenna like to come for drinks at 4:00 on Saturday and perhaps stay on for dinner?"

"Yes, that would be lovely. I'll ask Jenna to confirm."

Eloise opened the door and thanked him for calling, saying she looked forward to seeing him and Jenna on Saturday night.

Eliot nodded a goodbye to Alice and she acknowledged, the frost gone off her smile. He spent the remainder of the afternoon working on a briefing document that he emailed to his project team before leaving for the apartment just after 6:00, ending a work day of almost twelve hours but knowing a few people worked just as long or even longer.

* * *

Jenna seized Eliot as he stepped into the apartment, her tongue halfway down his throat as soon as he'd said, "Hiya babe with pinkie cheeks. He reached for a breast instinctively (or perhaps hopefully) thinking he was being urged to perform but the hand was brushed away.

"I've sold my business."

"What?"

"Are you deaf?"

"No, just surprised. I thought it would take days if not weeks."

"I invited a competitor in another wing at the mall to consider buying it but she said no and then hesitated when her daughter said yes. Two hours later the mother Georgette Young and I had agreed in a goodwill price and stock at cost subject to a stock-take on Saturday afternoon. We went to her attorney and signed and sale and purchase agreement, with settlement on Monday. My manager works with Georgette until next Friday and Georgette's daughter works with me until closing on Friday to learn the ropes of my operation as part of the deal."

Jenna looked so happy and said she'd walk away with almost $30,000 as she'd paid her mother's loan earlier in the year. Mall management had agreed to the transfer of lease of the premises.

"Oh that's great," he smiled, patting her butt but she was too fired up to be interested. "What happened about an employee buyout?"

"I put it to them while waiting for Georgette's response but they all backed off as if I'd tossed a bomb at them."

"How long will the stock-take take?

"About three hours."

"Good, I've accepted an invitation from your mother for drinks at 4:00 and to stay on for dinner, accompanied by you, of course."

"We can't. The Adams's have invited us to their apartment for drinks. You know since you're moved in there has been a noticeable change. The women around here are so much friendlier."

Eliot gave her a knowing smile.

"What?"

"Now you are with a guy they feel reassured you won't be after their man."

Jenna scoffed and was halfway through rejection that assertion when, "Oh God, you probably are right. Well that makes me more than ever determined to go to the Adams's."

"Sorry but your mom takes priority. She didn't say anything but this is her way of getting Peter used to seeing me around."

Jenna took that calmly. "God, you're even right on that one. I'll call Jennifer and apologize for you stupidly committing us to a Saturday night engagement without consulting me."

"Sorry."

She grinned and said he appeared to have gotten the message. Jenna made the call and said Jennifer had suggested a cook-out beside the pool on Sunday and would call back with a time when she could book in a gas grill. Jenna looked at the wall clock. "The professional packers are due in ten minutes. Best you change as I want you to mark the boxes being packed by room and principle contents."

* * *

Jenna arrived home on Saturday afternoon almost walking on air. She'd spoken on the phone twice during the day to Eliot so they were up with each other's news.

"How was the bike ride?" she asked, kissing him hungrily. "I saw it when I parked. It looks a real beauty. I might buy one."

"Oh, that would be great; we could go adventure riding together. Try mine to see if you like it. You'll quickly lose those few extra pounds..."

"I beg your pardon!"

They frolicked, laughing, Eliot pinching the love handles that only recently had begun to appear while she grabbed his butt cheeks which she thought were less that firm.

"Cliff the cycle dealer said there are almost 220 miles of cycle tracks separated from road vehicles within ten miles of his store. I'll happily buy you a women's model of the hybrid like mine that can be used on pavement or over dirt and moderate hilly terrain."

Jenna burst into tears.

Looking aghast Eliot hugged her and asked what was the matter.

"So many things are happening since you came into my life."

"Is that good or bad," he asked, somewhat bemused, looking down at her pink face marked by tear tracks.

"Good, oh very good," she said, sniffing and wiping away tears with her palms. You know, apart from mom, that's the first time anyone has offered to buy me something of value."

He hugged her and said, a little misty-eyed himself, "Come on you chump, undress while I run you a bath and make coffee."

Jenna emerged from the bathroom already dressed in lacy underwear and hold-up stockings. He looked at her with interest while she looked at him critically and said, "Those shorts and beach shirt must come off and you must dress formerly."

"But it's only drinks beside the pool."

"It doesn't matter," she sniffed. Mom and Peter dress formally for poolside drinks."

Peter appeared to have been lectured about being on his best behavior because his greeting was warm. After shaking hands with Eliot he actually patted him on the back and he kissed his stepdaughter correctly and spoke to her almost charmingly.

During a lull in conversation over dinner Peter said suddenly to Jenna, "When will you be ready to return to the company?"

"Any time from Monday week. I've sold my business, effective on Monday."

"Oh darling, how exciting," cooed her mother. "A good price I'd hope."

"Yes, although the bulk of it is the return of my paid-up investment in stock."

"So you can start on Tuesday?"

"No Peter. I'd like a week off. Management has redecorators working on the larger apartment that Eliot and I are moving into tomorrow evening so I require time to settle in and buy new furniture and soft furnishings and a bit of artwork."

"So this thing between you two is more than just flash passion?"

"Yes."

Eliot added greater detail. "We have found we are very compatible and think beyond sex when together."

Peter looked shocked at the mention of sex but Eloise laughed and said, "Well done you two, I'll fetch champagne."

"I'll get it," Peter said smiling, as if his unease about Eliot had evaporated. "I suppose you mean French?"

"Of course." Eloise said indulgently as if hearing distant wedding bells.

After pouring the drinks Peter said to Jenna, "Arnold from human resources resigned today. Do you think you can manage that department? You do have a business admin degree?"

"I think so, as our company structure is still attuned to family management principles rather than cooperate leading-edge organization and my understanding is we don't apply formal job assessment appraisal to determine across-company performance related remuneration?"