A Wider Sky Ch. 05

Story Info
Failing and Falling in Love.
3.7k words
4.31
10.3k
2

Part 5 of the 18 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 02/11/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A Wider Sky: Beyond Eclipse Series

by Talyis Bagley Ellison

Copyright first edition 2013, 2015

Chapter 5

Having met my first alien was anti-climatic.

She didn't vaporize me. I saw no super magic or special powers and she did in-fact look human. She was a bit snarky and had a sense of entitlement but I could say the same of Ben and Maddie. It seemed like everyone outside the colony had that aura about them.

We must have traveled far, even at lightening speed because once we arrived it was later afternoon. Though, I could have sworn we were on the craft for no more than an a few hours. Maybe not having much to say after choosing my study path and reading through the dossier becoming an expert on my fake alien life, the trip seemed to take forever.

"Here you are," she announced as the craft began to land.

Again, I felt like I was going to loose cheerios as my mom used to say when I had an upset stomach, not that I really knew what that meant.

Tall ornate gates and beautiful green hedges crafted into various artistic shapes surrounded the entrance to the campus. Students milled around and it seemed peaceful, fun maybe. I corrected myself mentally, reminding myself they were not humans running around the green quads fields playing games, chatting with one another on blankets or laying in the grass with books under their elbows.

The craft floated passed the main campus building featuring a massive sculpture erected in tribute of Eclipse. It was formidable, a steel planet Earth with flames spilling off into the atmosphere while being eclipsed by a smaller planet, the Y'vori's home planet. Water surrounded the terrific sculpture.

"On the top of the hour, spouts the most spectacular water display. As if to douse the Earth's flames," the woman boasted as she caressed her pin matching the sculpture's design.

We stopped in front of a dormitory and the transport woman escorted me to my room. I balanced my large duffle over my shoulder like a hunchback. I tried to stop my curious eyes from soaking in the reality of being on campus. The lady was walking so fast I didn't get a chance to further take in my new surroundings.

The dorm hall was empty - everyone was enjoying the beautiful sunny day outside. Each door had a sensor pad to unlock the rooms.

"These were installed once we decided to admit you. We don't have locks on our doors in The Realm, but I guess now that have a human in our midst, it's an unfortunate necessity."

She snatched my hand and pressed it to the sensor pad. My dorm room door slid for lack of better expression, vaporized before my eyes. I walked in and set my duffle bag on the floor and looked around what would be my home for the next year.

It was simple. A first floor dorm room looking onto the quad. I had a small bed, a kitchen area that was no smaller than the makeshift one we had on our dresser top back home in the colony. A peculiar shower that looked more like a small metal closet with a window sat near the door. The Transport Woman touched the silver plated wall and dresser drawers materialized, pulling out from the wall. She pressed another button and a desk folded out from the wall with a complete matching metal chair.

So much for having a matching dorm room motif that my mother worried that I missing out on. I already had a set for me here, silver metal, glass and whatever else I discovered would materialize or pull from out of the wall.

The Transport Woman took my tablet from my hands, swished a few windows to opened a schedule.

"This is your orientation schedule. I have just enrolled you in your program. You are to report here every Friday at 17:00 hours for a weekly briefing. You will do this until we no longer see it fit to brief you. If you do not show up, we will consider it a deviation from the plan and you will be marked a terrorist.

I gulped and my eyes watered pools of apprehension but I willed them to dry.

Be strong, dammit; you haven't been here 10 minutes.

"We are glad to have you here Ms. Walker, you are our first human to pass our test and we are also proud." She swallowed each word as if it were poison.

"You are?" My mind was swimming again in the learning curve. This was so contrary to what I was taught about aliens, my voice shook.

"Yes, we are. So please make this worth our while as much as yours." Again the stepford-wives-body-expressions took over her, she tipped her head from side to side with a muted smile.

She then pointed out a map on my tablet of the campus and gave me a billfold of money to last me the rest of the year, which I promptly tucked into my dresser drawer. It was a bursary gift heavy with warning. I was not allowed to bring any money to Ben and Maddie's home and definitely not allowed to bring anything from The Realm to the colony.

"I hope you will stay for the festivities." She commented as she left which brought back the chill that lived in my spin.

I took a deep breath and looked around the room. This was my home, my alien home, where I was to pretend I was an alien.

I exhaled and then slid my eyes mischievously to the bed. I flopped myself onto the bed. Surprising soft and so comfortable. I crossed my legs at the ankles and tucked my hands behind my head to stare at the ceiling and relax for a second.

I guess you do what they say, "when in Rome, do what the Romans do." and with that, I flicked my hand in the air.

My duffle bag zipper pulled open while I laid on the plush mattress. I pressed my hand in the air towards the wall across from my bed. where the dresser drawers would materialize. I willed my hand print to appear on the walls sensor.

I smiled with surprise, my room struck a sudden chord to filling the room with the most mysterious magical music I had ever heard. It was obviously alien. I giggled to myself feeling a bit pleased.

Opps, pressed the wrong button. I willed my powers to hit the correct button and the dressers popped open.

Contently, I fell back against the pillow, the music was strange but I enjoyed it. It was perfect music for unpacking from the comfort of my bed.

I waved my hands in the air as if I were a conductor-of-cleaning. My clothing floated out of the bag and into various dresser drawers in a concert with the Y'vori music. The last note concluded with my mom's afghan crawling up my feet to drape over me.

I pulled it closer to my nose and inhaled the sent of my home. I wonder how long it would last before it faded and started to smell like this alien dorm room and The Realm. I tried not to dwell on that idea too long and I flipped my wrist and my tablet landed in my hand.

Okay, I said to myself, What shall I do next?

***

I decided if I were going to do as the Y'vori did; I might as well jump into the deep end. I'd have to integrate myself sooner or later and I wanted to make sure I would be ready for my first class.

Changing into a new outfit and without a second thought I snapped my Eclipse pin onto my sweater. I dashed out of my room to catch up with the last first year tour gathering in front of the fountain. I was a bit out of breath but I gravitated to the back of the group so I could observe. I didn't want to talk to anyone in case I accidentally say the wrong thing or deviate from my dossier.

The campus was beautiful, surrounded by a wooded area and a lake sat on the east side where love birds would jump into canoes from the powerhouse for quiet dates on the tranquil water. Cherry blossoms seemed to cocoon the sidewalks to the library.

The student center was overrun with students playing games and setting up tables for club sign-ups. I wondered if this what it was like for my mom to go to university Before Eclipse.

So much energy sizzled and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves in the sun. I wish I could write home to let my mother know that I was okay. But I had a feeling that was not allowed, technically because that would mean paper from The Realm would enter the colony.

The student tour guide quizzed the groups on the names of the academic buildings. Harvard for the Arts of History and Literature majors and where I would spend most of my time. The other academic buildings were also named after famous human universities: The School of Politics and Military Strategy was in the Yale building and Science and Astronomy in the McGill building. The School of Instruction and Greater Knowledge was the most prestigious program according to the tour guide causing a lot of students to chime in how they were going to be spending a majority of their time in the Oxford Building which also housed the campus cafeteria.

The group visited various dormitories which we named after famous humans that had done great things for the world. I thought it was a wonderful gesture, even though I knew better than voice that sentiment aloud.

I was glad I didn't.

"Does anyone know why we name our dorms after humans?" The tour guide smiled brightly, his eyes glinted with pride.

A young girl who looked like she would have been a freshman in a pre-Eclipse human university raised her hand stretching her to her tip-toes to be seen from the back of the group.

"Because, even though these humans surpassed the majority of mankind; we still will achieve greater for Earthkind and universe's well being." She sang.

Wow. That was a real projection of a majority ruling-class seeing themselves as the minority.

I begining to wonder what did the Y'vroi really achieve that was greater than Gandhi or Daniel Hale Williams who developed the first open heart surgery. Or were humans more like Louise Latimer, the man who invented filaments for lightbulbs before he was overshadowed by Thomas Edison and Nicola Tesla? Other than pull mankind into near extinction, how have the aliens create a better life or did they just replace another ruling class.

I had to stop thinking because I knew I was digging myself a trap already three hours on campus and I was beginning to fume. My mother's lessons where making me test everything they said. I couldn't take what the said at face value because I knew better. For the first time, I was greatly appreciative that my mom secretly taught me what our colony schools would not.

After the near implosive campus tour, the students dispersed to go to the cafeteria. That was one thing I knew I wasn't ready for and I wasn't going near the cafeteria until I was ready.

I instead decided to pick up my textbooks by going to my advisory hall. The Harvard building was pretty empty and pristine. Even the wooden panels lining the stone floors had been polished with meticulous care.

I stopped in front t office of my advisor feeling a surge of real excitement. Professor U. Winsdor, PhD read the brass plaque on his heavy wooden door. I knocked the door and it echoed down the hall. No one answered. I felt like a fool so out of place.

I didn't know what to do. I had to pick up my books but the entire building was an empty shell, everyone was outside enjoying the final hours of summer. I noticed a sensor similar to my bedroom console. I pressed my hand and a small scrolling screen read: Welcome Kiowa Walker. To check-in register your tablet.

OK? How the hell do I do that.

I glanced around to see if anyone was around. I needed help but I didn't want to seem human, not this early into the game. I took a guess and pressed my tablet to the advisory check-in sensor. I hoped up with a little yelp of satisfaction buzzing through me.

It worked. my tablet came to life loading all my class texts onto my tablet and my class syllabi. I was bubbling with excitement.

I couldn't wait to learn and discover all the topics we would dive into. My fingers slide the pages of my first text, with every page I scanned over the topic points, I became more enthused.

I was going to work so hard. I vowed to my that I was going to be the best in my class.

I felt so accomplished just by figuring out how to check in. I headed towards the door to the exit staircase. I couldn't unglue my eyes from my tablet while I headed out of the building back to my dorm.

"Hey watch where you are going?" A man voice yelled at me but I was too engrossed in my books. I wasn't paying attention to anything around me.

Before I realize what was happening. I was already through the door and airbourne, flying high above the stairs plunging down to a bone-breaking fall.

But it wasn't only me in flight.

It would have been a nasty fall hadn't a strong arm wrap across my chest. It all happened in slow motion, as if my last seconds of life flashed over my eyes.

A hard smack, my tablet flipping in flight, a tanned forearm reaching in front of me, my expression frozen burning red with embarrassment and awe as my eyes landed on the sexiest man I had ever saw.

He had the most brilliant green eyes that highlighted his tan chiseled faced that preserved an angled chin that nested a beautiful pair of lips that were made for kissing. The darkest black curls that as the floated about him hit the light with iridescent hues of purple and green like a raven.

I didn't have time to milk in more of the Adonis's body because I had to save us.

I had caused us both to tumble down the stairs. I'd be damned if I break my neck on the first day or accidentally kill an alien, a gorgeous one at that, before I sat down in my first class.

I was careless to not watching where I was going. And despite my mother's implicit instructions to stay out of trouble and under the radar; I had already gotten myself in trouble causing alien sex god boy to trip down a flight of stairs in Harvard. I was going to have to come from out of my shell to do damage control.

I reached my hand out towards my alien Jack to my Jill. Immediately everything hung in the air like invisible marionette strings held everything in place. I turned to the handsome raven and the pupils of his eyes widened with recognition.

Oh boy, I was really in trouble now.

With delicate control of my power, I lowered out bodies onto the landing, 16 steps below to where we first took flight. Once our feet safely touched the ground, I skipped up a few stairs to pluck my tablet out of the air. As I came down the stairs to explain. I opened my mouth but instead of words to causal-yet hopefully, successful flirt, I heard a distinctive crunch under my feet.

My heart jumped as I looked down and then I glanced back at the handsome raven with piercing green eyes. Then back down to the shattered white plastic, glass and thin metal under my foot. I had stepped on his tablet, but by the looks of it, it was already broken and wasn't the first thing to fall. His things were strewn all over the staircase, broken. I simply made things worse. Fuck.

"Oops," was all I could muster.

I admonished myself. This was the first word I was going to say to the most handsome being on the face of the Earth.

He blinked his eyes looking at his tablet which I picked up three major pieces and handed it to him.

"I think you owe me a tablet," he finally said and my face blanched. "Well that's an interesting color."

My face rosied more and I stuffed my tablet into my handbag. He just starred at me as if he were waiting for me to do something human.

Please don't do anything human. Please don't be human, I willed myself.

"I am so sorry, of course, where can I get another tablet for you."

He looked at me like I was insane. Geez I had spoken two sentences since arriving on campus and I had already committed a faux pas.

"Sorry, my parents. They did all the shopping; I just stuck to school work," I continued.

He huffed a laugh out of his nose, "Bookworm huh?" I didn't answer, I couldn't even look into those amazing eyes. "The campus store should have some but you know this tablet was priceless you see."

My mouth dropped. Fuck. I remembered my mom telling me about how Before Eclipse everyone stored their photos, contacts, everything important on their tablets and computers.

"I am just kidding. It's just a tablet. There a dime a dozen."

My eyebrows floated up. I guess Apple no longer put out a tablet twice a year at three times the price anymore. I wasn't even sure there was an Apple anymore.

"Gaelen," the handsome boy said and held his hand out for me to shake.

It was at that foolish moment I decided to take him in. He was tall, broad shoulders and tapered chest like a swimmers. He was tall with a foundation of firm legs. If he were to turn around I was sure he would have a butt that was dying to be admired.

"Cat got your tongue?" Yes, for sure. I was caught taking him in like the cat hiding the dead canary in its mouth. "This is where you tell me your name."

"Kiowa," I mustered out. My mind finally caught up and I started citing the dossier like I was at a spelling bee.

"Whoa!" He chuckled and smiled stopping my verbal expostulation with enchantment. "I don't need your life's history." He stuffed his hands in his pockets and exhaled. "So I am guessing your a Harvard student like me."

"Yeah," I giggled at the idea of me being a Harvard student.

"With your dad being a general, I am surprised you are not at Yale."

I snorted a giggle which made him blush nervously. He seemed to drink me in with amusement. Oh my gosh, handsome alien boy likes me I said to myself and then again blanched. An alien likes me!!

"Ahh, that color again." He said "you exhibited some amazing powers there."

I did a double take not realizing what he was talking about at first and then tucked my wayward braid behind my ear - no one was to see that - my powers.

Why can't I say something smart. Damn, I am messing this up. He's looking at me like I'm pathetic. I am pathetic, who would want me, Matthais sure didnt. Say something stupid.

"You don't say much do you!? You know it's odd, you seem familiar-" his eyebrows tightly knitted together as if trying to muster out and answer by starring at me longer.

I didn't mind him looking at me but then he seemed to shake off whatever he was thinking as he brushed his black raven locks behind his ear. "Well, I've got to be going little bookmouse."

I opened my mouth to say something but shut it. I fucked up the opportunity again. I watched him ascend the stairs to where everything began. I tried to say something cute, something to entice him but no sound came out.

His ass was exactly what I thought it would look like and my mind fluttered to naughty thoughts.

"See you round, Kiowa," Gaelen called down to me. His brows knitted together again in amusement and in thought to himself that made his strong shoulder shake with laughter as he opened the door to the academic hall.

I squeezed my eyes shut once the door closed and I felt a weight on my chest for not taking a chance to see if there was a potential for love. I had to get my head straight and quick. I had to get ready for class and life on campus. I will most likely never see cute raven-boy again.

I sighed, I was smart and life was the best that any human being could have on this planet. Yet, that fact couldn't stop the empty feeling of my constant failing in the romance department.

If I could write home to my mom updating her, I would write: Hi Mom, Day 1 of university. Guess what I'm a Harvard Student. I didn't get vaporized and oh yeah, I think I have a crush on an alien boy named Gaelen.

*****

To My Dear Readers,

Thank you for reading. So you finally meet GAELEN!!

I am working without an editor so it may be rough in a few areas. Thank you for your comments so far. Thank you Fanfare for your thoughts and comments throughout. Again thank you all - you are all my betas.

I've made some changes to the previous chapters as I get your feedback and you can go back and read if you like.

12