A Wolf's Tail Ch. 05

Story Info
Classic fairytale with a wolfy twist.
5.6k words
4.74
48.8k
56

Part 5 of the 6 part series

Updated 10/28/2022
Created 04/08/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hi everybody

This is the last chapter of Wolf's tail for the moment. I am going to finish Pure Moonlight completely then come back to this story. This means that I can focus on the one story alone without having to divide my (already stretched) time. Sorry to those of you who wanted this story first, you will just have to be patient ;)

Enjoy

<3 Shadowsung

~~~~~~~

Nathaniel walked the darkened streets like a man on death row. He felt as wretched as a man could feel; her beautiful face marred by hurt that he had caused burned into his eyes. His phone started vibrating, but he didn't care. It wasn't her, so why would it matter.

His phone silenced once more as he sat down on a park bench, concealed in shadows. His mind ran miserably free as he willed himself not to shed a tear over his stupidity. How could he have ruined what was meant to be the best moment of his life with poorly chosen words? Memories of a pushed back past came to the forefront. His eyes glazed over as his long suppressed memories took over.

A hard metal barrel pushed hard into the base of his neck, as the smell of booze and unwashed human saturated the air around him, making it hard to breathe and breaking his morbid trance.

"Gimme your wallet and everything of value or you'll find yourself swimming with the fishes." A gruff voice commanded.

A snarl broke across Nathaniel's face as his face contorted. This guy has picked the wrong time, he thought, anger coursing through his veins. For the second time that night, Nathaniel phased to his hybrid form. He swung around, his razor sharp claws slicing the gun in half.

While moving too fast for the pathetic human to see, he moved beneath the shadows of the trees. Cloaked in darkness, the air was filled with his snarls.

The mugger tried to run, watching behind him for whatever the hell was following him. Nathaniel moved as a blur and stopped, blocking his path. The mugger ran headlong into him and fell backwards and onto the ground.

Looking up into the scariest pair of eyes he had ever seen, the mugger wet himself in pure freight. Cowering and crying in a pathetic, quivering heap, kneeling at the creature's feet, the mugger tried to beg for his life. Suddenly Nathaniel wasn't seeing the mugger, but Emma and how she would look if she had seen what the mugger was seeing. The look of fear that crossed her beautiful face tore at Nathaniel's already aching heart. He never wanted to do anything to hurt or scare her.

He backed away, his snarls dying in his throat. Once he was enveloped by shadows, Nathaniel ran for all he was worth. The scenery would have been a blur if it hadn't been for his enhanced vision. Suddenly the terrain stopped as he hit the edge of the pack lands. To go any further would incite an offence on neighbouring territory if he were caught. Common sense slowly filtered into his mind. He turned away and began walking slowly back.

Wandering between the trees, he watched the gentle moonbeams play along the leaf litter. He slumped at the base of a tree, exhausted.

~~

Emma finally gave into sleep, her head resting on her friend's shoulder as they watched the scariest slasher movies they could find. Looking down at her friend, Anna sighed sadly. It was supposed to have been the night of her life, being with her mate for the first time. Anna began to question Nathaniel and his claim to be her mate. How could he do such a horrible thing to her; the supposed love of his lifetime?

She felt her anger rise and had to breathe slowly to try and calm herself down. She gently picked up her friend and put her in her bed. Knowing that her friend didn't want to be alone, Anna climbed into the bed as well and turned off the lights.

~~

Sunlight spilled through the window as morning began. The sky was blue, and the birds were singing, but all was not well with Anna King. She moved around the house righting boxes and tidying up with a little more vigour and masked anger than the job required. It was only the fact her friend was still embraced in the calming space of her own dreams that she tried to soften her movements. Emma walked in, her eyes still puffy and red.

"Morning," she mumbled, her eyes downcast.

"Morning," Anna returned, trying to figure out the words to say to comfort her friend. "Look, Em, I'm sorry. He's an ass and I'll make sure he never hurts you again."

Tears welled in her friend's eyes, "That's just it, Anna. I WANT to see him, my heart aches at the thought of never seeing him again. I know I should hate him- and don't get me wrong- a part of me does... but there is another part that is pulling me back to him." Tear-stained eyes met calm blue, "I don't know what to do. I just... I need to get away. I can smell him everywhere and I shouldn't."

"It's the mating bond," admitted Anna sadly, "It's your inner wolf, your spirit guide pulling you back to him. It comes from a basic instinct that draws you to the person who will yield you the strongest offspring. It is Luna's gift to her children that we all eventually find our mates- our perfect genetic match. In humans it's called 'soul mates' and 'love at first sight'. Because they are less in tune with their other natures and Luna herself, the feeling and the bond is much weaker than it is for us Supes. Because you are my blood sister you feel it stronger than you would if you had been human."

"So why can't I phase, if... whatever it is inside me, has so much sway over my life?"

"Your inner wolf, other side or nature, is still locked away. Think of it, if you will, as being stuck in a cage- you couldn't feel it, and you never felt it until we joined as sisters. The ritual that joined us removed some of the bars, allowing some of its essence to come through, but the cage is still there, anchoring it deep within you. In order to be able to phase, your other side has to be released completely and given the lead to take its true form and make it physical."

Emma shuddered, "is it possible to do?"

Anna shrugged evasively, "it is possible. Our laws state that only a mate can change a human and it HAS to be done with complete consent. Rogues- ones who refuse to follow the laws- are notorious for forcing the change on humans because they can't secure a female Were. All packs and groups of Were's would fight to the last man, tooth and blood to prevent that kind of fate for their females. Hell, in cases, females fight too!" Anna shook her head, "let's not talk about that. It is depressing and not a nice part of our culture. Speaking of our culture- we need to have a talk."

"About what?" asked Emma nervously.

"About full moons... I don't know about you, but I haven't seen nearly enough trees to hide me in Luna's light."

"Can't we stay here and you just stay out of "Luna's light"? Or you just not phase for this month?"

"Not valid options I'm afraid. Luna's call is heard whether we bathe in her light or not- and not phasing for the entire night is highly impossible not to mention painful and has been known to make Weres go crazy."

"Agreed. Definitely not options... what do you we do then?"

"Well, I was thinking, since the next one is in three weeks is going to be a Friday night, how about we go on a camping trip? I found a really nice site that isn't far from here, but is far enough away from people and the Braanan den."

"The what?"

"The Braanan den. The giant house and lands that most of the Braanan pack lives on."

"Oh..."

"Now, no one knows about you or that you know about us, so if they found out, I would have to do some quick talking or a little fighting to make sure you stay safe, so I want to keep you out of sight as long as possible."

"Of course, Nathaniel has probably ruined that, yes?"

"Maybe not, I'm hoping his guilt about what he did will keep him quiet. Now, keeping in mind, we will be nowhere near anyone else, did you want to come camping with me on the full moon? You did tell me you wanted to get away... if you don't want to come, I can go on my own." Secretly Anna really wanted Emma to go with her. They had been together for years and she loved their full moon frolicking.

"Of course I want to go! We'll start planning and we will need to get that weekend off. At least we can give them plenty of notice." Emma said with a smile.

Anna looked a little guilty, "I kinda already talked to the boss about it today. I didn't mean to presume that you were coming, I just asked for the both of us without thinking."

"That's ok Anna, thanks!" Emma returned to her room looking a lot happier.

Anna smiled for the first time that day as she unpacked the last of the boxes. Together they shared a champagne to congratulate themselves in moving in. "to uni!" Anna slurred.

"To friends!" Emma replied, staggering a little.

"To camping!" Anna cried happily

"To full moons!" Emma cheered. The girls collapsed into giggles as they toasted more and more ridiculous things back and forth. Both of them were too drunk to notice the shadow that lurked at their closed window.

Nathaniel watched Emma sadly. He wanted to make it up to her, but he didn't know how. He moved around the house to her bedroom window and helped himself inside. His wolf senses made the room appear as though there was full light, as he breathed in her scent.

He felt guilty about being there, and his human sensibility was telling him sharply that it was most unseemly, but his need to be near her was just too great. He lay down on her bed, almost lapping up her scents, and feeling remorse at the tinge of hurt and tears that marred the perfect smells. He cuddled her pillow to him, imagining it her. If only he could take back what he had said. If only he had the chance to explain what had made him react in such a way.

He heard their happy giggles and he silently thanked Anna for making sure Emma was forgetting about him. He overheard their plans for camping and decided he would follow them and make sure his mate stayed safe. He heard their chairs scrape as the girls got ready for bed.

Emma entered her room and changed into her pyjamas. She hopped into her bed, shivering at the deep cold. She tossed and turned as her brain refused to slow down. She could smell the person that brought tears to her eyes. Suddenly her body was too hot, as she thrashed at the covers, growling in frustration. With a sigh of defeat, she got up and had a shower before changing into a fresh pair of pj's and spraying herself liberally with deodorant.

Finally masking his scent, she looked dejectedly at her bed. His scent hung in the air like a cloud, painfully reminding her of what had happened. She quietly left her room and padded her way through the darkened house. Stopping at Anna's door she opened it quietly and peered inside. Anna's gentle snores permeated the air as Emma stared at her ability of falling asleep so quickly. Her curtains were open to the front of the house, and the lone streetlamp's light danced across the bed and sleeping form. She tiptoed in and stood over her friend. She coughed lightly, watching as Anna twitched. Her twitching got worse and she groaned in her sleep, a tear escaped her eyes as she muttered incoherently.

"Anna," Emma said hesitantly. Below, her friend jerked and shuddered muttering the word no over and over again, her head shaking side to side as she whimpered in horror.

"Anna, wake up. You're having a nightmare," Emma said a little louder. "Anna!" Emma cried. Reaching down, Emma grabber her friend and jostled her.

Her eyes opened wide, "MAMMA!" she screamed, tears blurring her vision. Standing above her was the dark man, the scar across his face, in his hand the knife covered in the blood of her mother. With a battle roar, she lashed out.

Emma's eyes opened in shock as she pulled her hand away from her chest, covered in blood. She collapsed on the bed, her eyes trained on her friend, crouched by the other side of the bed, snarling through her snout.

It wasn't completely her hybrid form, it was more human than wolf; her eyes glowed amber in the dim light, her nose a snout with her long canines and claws stretching out from her arched hands. The feral look on her face melted instantly as she saw her best friend laying on her bed and bleeding from deep wounds across her chest. "Emma?" she cried, "What happened?"

"You... You were having a nightmare," she whispered quietly.

"Non lupus tago dormientem," Anna cried, "Never poke a sleeping wolf, idiot!"

Emma chuckled quietly but it was cut short by her hacking cough. Pulling her hand away from her mouth, she saw yet more blood and looked at Anna; her horror mirrored in her friend's face. Anna raced to her side as Emma's eyes rolled into the back of her head as she passed out.

"Emma!" Anna cried, smoothing her blonde hair from her face, looking closely at her pale, drawn face, "Stay with me! You can't leave me! You're all I have left!"

She picked up her friend in her arms, cradling her lolling head to her chest. Anna moved through the darkened house and out into the street. The streetlamp threw her friend's figure into sharp relief. The gashes in her chest looked worse and she could hear her friend labouring to breath. With a deep breath, Anna ran faster than she had ever run in her life.

Keeping to the darkened streets and woods, she moved like a ghost, gliding past, leaving nothing but a small draft to show she had been there. The miles were eaten under her feet, which she numbly realised were bare. The cement and the woods tore at her feet, but she was too panicked to concentrate and shift them and avoid more damage and she couldn't stop. She gritted her teeth against the pain, leaving bloody footprints in her wake as she continued to race through the darkness. Her arms screamed at the pressure of keeping her friend cradled to her chest, but she ignored it as she ran through the streets.

Stopping suddenly she had to squint her eyes at the flood of lights from the front of the hospital. She raced into the emergency room, "Help! Please, someone HELP HER!" In the stark light her friend was a pale as a sheet and blood pooled through the gashes in her chest. Calm and steady arms took her away, leaving Anna with nothing but guilt and emptiness. Hands caught her as she dropped to her knees in grief and exhaustion.

Nurses helped to pick her up and put her onto a bed. She protested loudly, trying to find out about her friend. A large, stern nurse came in, her hands on her hips, "now you listen here, Missy!" she said firmly, "Your poor feet are a mess. Your friend will be taken surgery and there is nothing else you can do for her. You raced her here, and that probably saved her life. Now sit still and let me see your feet. Don't make me restrain you, girl! I've had one hell of a night, and you ain't helping me by being uncooperative."

With a nod, the nurse sat down and started cleaning Anna's feet. Realising the truth in her words, Anna sat there, quietly wincing as the nurse carefully picked through her feet. Anna saw the nametag of her nurse which said Janice. Anna stifled a chuckle as she thought this was very fitting for her nurse. "It's gonna take you about a month to heal those feet, and at least two before you can weight-bear. Sorry, little lassy, but you're going to have to be in a wheelchair."

Anna nodded mutely, ~the joke's on her,~ she thought with a smug internal smile. One shift and her healing would allow to weight-bear in an hour or two.

Mutely, Anna lay in her bed as she watched the hospital move around her. She had to fill out hospital forms for her and Emma. She struggled to come up with a valid lie. She decided upon Emma hearing a noise outside and being attacked. Her mind was wrought in guilt for her friend. Her last glimpse of her friend was seared into her mind. She kept asking for updates from any staff that passed her way.

Growling in frustration, she heaved her legs across and sat on the edge of her bed. She lowered her bandaged feet to the ground and gingerly stood up, testing her balance. Within seconds Nurse Janice was on her, "What on Earth!" she cried to Anna, "You can't be on those poor feet of yours Missy! Get back into bed!"

Anna glared, "I have to use the bathroom, then I have to see my friend. I need to know that she is going to be ok."

Arms crossed, the nurse shook her head in dismissal, "You will use this," she said handing her a bed pan, "And once you've finished I will take it and go find out about your little friend."

Anna felt a blush mantle her cheeks, "I can't use that! I can walk, I will be fine, anything but THAT," she said looking at the metal object in distain. She watched the nurse's nostrils flare, and heard her foot tapping.

"Ok, Missy, how about this? I will source out a wheelchair so you can use the bathroom, but you are not, under any circumstances to get onto those feet. Do I make myself clear? It's my neck if you get hurt even more while in here."

Anna felt another twinge of guilt, as she nodded her consent. Within minutes Anna was in the partial privacy and gratefully relieving herself. Nurse Janice, still suspicious had kept the door open just a little bit so she could keep an eye and make sure she kept her word.

Wincing at the pounding throb from her feet, Anna wished that she could just shift to alleviate her pain. Another part of her knew that the pain was insignificant compared to the suffering she had caused for her friend, so she pushed it to the back of her mind. Settled back into bed, the nurse nodded, closing the curtain, leaving her with her guilt.

Minutes later, her curtain wall opened suddenly, and Anna jerked her head around. Despite the overpowering stench of bleach, disinfectant and infections, Anna knew instinctively, the man that stood in front of her was a werewolf. She felt uncertain, until he smiled cheerfully at her,

"Hi there, I'm Dr. Lance Braanan." He grabbed her charts and observed them. He pulled back the bandaging on her foot and inspected it carefully. Replacing them, he looked up and smiled, "Well, Ms. King, how are you feeling? It looks like your feet aren't as bad as first thought. You should be good as new before you know it," he said with a wink.

"Please, Doc. You have to find out- my friend, I brought her in here. Her name is Emma, she's a hum-"

"Human, yes. Miss Emma will fine. What happened? If it were rogues, I was unfortunately unable to obtain a scent sample before they scoured her with disinfectant. It has gone down as a wild animal attack, and yes, she will live."

Anna lay back in her bed, "It wasn't rogues; it was me. She is my blood sister and she tried to wake me while I was having a bad dream," she said guiltily.

Lance tisked and shook his head. "Non lupus tago dormientem. The pack will not concern itself in this matter, it was an accident. She will make a full recovery. If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you just lick her in your wolf form? The saliva contains coagulants and antibiotics that would have reversed the damage within minutes."

Anna felt like hitting herself on the head. She looked up sheepishly, "I didn't think of it. She started coughing blood and I sort of panicked."

Lance actually chuckled, "Understandably, my dear. Now I have contacted Curt, our Alpha, and he has confirmed you have permission to be on our territory. Why haven't you joined us for our full moon runs? I know for a fact you have been invited and yet I definitely would have remembered such a beautiful creature in our midst."

Anna shifted uncomfortably, "I know. It's just, I've been through a lot with what happened in my pack. Technically I'm still an Omega. How many of those over 16 do you have?" she asked.

"None," he admitted, "How long has Emma been your blood sister?"

"Since I moved to the boarding school. She is who I spend my full moons with."

12