A World for the Taking Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Mike, is that you?" his father's voice asked from the little speaker.

"It's me, Pa," Mike replied instantly. "Just about to break camp. Wanted to let you know everything went well."

"Walls and roofs are up?" his mother asked.

"Yes. And the well is drilled," confirmed Mike. "Even finished the corral. I'll have to fly in the insulation and interior paneling next week."

"And your pump house," Bob added.

"I was thinking it might be easier to send that when the lifter comes to pick up the robots," said Mike. "I mean, the tanker is still about a quarter full and I don't think I'll drink all of that in a week."

"Maybe," said Bob.

"Let's think about it when you get home," Deborah put in. "How is everyone? Not too tired are you?"

"We're all fine," said Mike with a smile. "Roy fell off the ladder yesterday, though."

"Fell off the ladder?" asked Bob, sounding concerned.

"Tammy sort of helped him fall off," Mike snickered, looking over his shoulder at his sister and his best friend. "Then she helped him up and made sure he was alright."

"That boy is in for a world of bruises and scrapes if she keeps it up," said Bob.

"Somehow, Pa, I don't think he minds." Mike's voice was warm and he found himself smiling for both his sister and his friend. "She's feeding him reconstituted eggs right now. You should see the grin on his face."

"Oh boy," groaned his father.

"Now, Bob," warned Deborah. "We've talked about this."

"Yeah, yeah," Bob grumbled. "Okay. Fine. You need anything, Mike? Need me to make any calls or anything?"

"Nah," said Mike. "I'll call again this evening when we make camp. We might be overnighting at the old Dodge place. Roy hasn't been there since they moved the winter stock."

"Hey! Wait a second," said Bob before Mike could sign off. "What about that Takemori boy? How'd he do?"

"Bob," Deborah warned.

"I want to know," he growled back. "Boy's sniffing around our daughter. I know what boys can be like."

"He was a little shaky at first, Pa," Mike said judiciously. "Got to admit, though, he surprised me with what he knows about wiring and such. Worked all day yesterday to get the outlets hooked up. Did a good job."

"Stands to reason," Deborah said. "Grew up on stations and his father is the company communications contractor."

"Alright, Mike," said Bob, not sounding particularly impressed or satisfied. "Keep an eye on him. I don't want him getting ideas."

"I'm on it, Pa," chuckled Mike. "Love you both. See you in a few days."

After breakfast the teens packed up whatever was left to pack, made sure the robots were secured and then mounted and rode out. Mike took the lead and Roy rode drag. Roy was not alone at the back, though. Tammy slowed Boudi whenever the trail was wide enough for the mare to walk next to Gamble, Roy's large stud, and they rode side by side, often chatting but mostly just enjoying each other's company. Mike held the pace slow in order not to tire their mounts. Steelies were known for their endurance and adaptability, and they had been bred for rough country, but there were limits and a three day journey through mostly unbroken forest was not to be rushed if the stock were to get home safe and healthy.

They made a few stops during the day to relieve themselves and one for a meal at midday, but they did not linger long anywhere. Even so, dusk was coming on hard before they crossed the ford that would take them from Mackey land across the river to the old Dodge parcel now attended to by the Postlethwaites. The ford was wide and deep with winter runoff and the steelies did not much care for the cold water. They tossed their heads, snorted and bugled the whole way across. Yoshi had all he could do to control his mare, Little Gertie, and looked as though he would get dunked. Jean was the closest to him, but she had her hands full with the pack animals. Tammy spurred her mount forward, Boudi's broad chest surging through the water, and caught hold of the boy's reins.

"Loosen your grip!" she shouted at him over the noise of the river.

Yoshi blinked wide, frightened eyes at her, but he let the reins slip through his fingers. Little Gertie shook her head and bugled. She would have rushed the far bank had Tammy not taken hold of the headstall and drawn the mare close to her own, larger mount. The smaller steelie calmed and pressed her shoulder close to the larger mare.

"Yoshi, steelies are sensitive animals," Tammy said as she led him across the ford. "They can tell when you're scared. And you have to let them find their own way across obstacles. They know what they're doing. Just point them where you want them to go. Little Gertie here is the mildest steelie I've ever seen. That means she's the most sensitive, too. You have got to show her confidence to keep her calm. Okay?"

"Yeah," Yoshi gasped. He was shivering from the cold water splashing across his thighs, but he was no longer shaking with fright. "I'll try."

"Take your reins," said Tammy, nodding at the long strap dangling about the animal's neck. "I'll stay next to you. You'll be alright. Not much farther."

Yoshi blinked at the river bank ahead and nodded jerkily. He took up the reins and forced himself not to draw them in too tight. Tammy let go of the headstall. Under him Yoshi felt Little Gertie shiver and twitch. She did not bolt, though.

"That's better," said Tammy confidently. "She's alright. Just let her feel the bottom. If she wants to go one way or another, let her. That just means she's finding foot holds. And remember, steelies can swim. They swim better than horses. If she plunges deep, just slip off the saddle and hang onto the pommel. She'll drag you clear of the water and you can mount again."

"Okay," he replied, though he looked doubtfully at the cat girl.

"Can you swim?" she asked, frowning with concern.

The boy looked back to see Jean leading the pack animals. Her expression was one of fear and concern.

"You can't, can you?" said Tammy.

"No," he admitted shamefacedly.

"Why didn't you tell us?" she demanded.

Yoshi looked meaningfully at Jean again and then back to Tammy.

"You idiot," she said. "We all know you're an off-worlder. Just tell us shit like this. We'll help."

"But your dad..." Yoshi didn't finish. He just looked miserable.

"Pa isn't here, is he?" she asked more gently. "And he'll warm up to you faster if you show you've got enough sense to learn about the frontier. This is a wild world, Yoshi. We're way beyond outside help. We have only each other to depend on and we have to know we can rely on you. We'll teach you what you need to know, but we can't do that if you don't tell us about things like you not knowing how to swim. Okay?"

Abashed, Yoshi could not meet her eyes and summoned only enough gumption to nod.

"Yoshi, it's alright," she persisted. "We'll teach you to swim when it gets warmer. We'll teach you to shoot. Hell, just ask my pa. He likes shooting. And if you tell him about bringing down those deer with your bow he might warm up to you more."

"You think?" the boy asked hopefully.

"I think so," she said encouragingly. "We're almost to the bank. Get your feet firm in the stirrups and rise up a bit off the saddle. She's going to rock under you. Just center your weight. Don't over balance."

Tammy eased her mount away from the smaller mare and Yoshi did as she said. Little Gertie lunged up the bank in forceful hops until she was clear of the water. Soon Jean joined them with the pack animals and Roy followed.

"You alright, Yoshi?" asked Mike. He had drawn his stud, Tico, up near an old, overgrown trail that looked as if it led up the slope to the north.

"I am now," Yoshi replied. He was chilled from the water and his teeth were chattering, but the sun was still shining through the trees and he felt warmer than a minute before.

"Jean, why don't you let Tammy take the stock," Mike said. "Make sure Yoshi is okay until we get to Dodge Station. Trail is wider here. Should be easier going."

They did not make the station before dark, but it was not much after sundown when they led their steelies into the old barn and settled them for the night. Rather than pitching tents they decided to sleep in the loft. Dinner was cooked over the camp stove instead of on a fire and no one was in the mood for s'mores or much else. They just wanted sleep.

*****

"Mike! Wake up! Wake up, Mike!"

Mike rolled onto his back, blinking bleary eyes into the darkness.

"Tammy?" he murmured. "What's going on?"

"Sshh," she hissed. "Listen!"

Mike sat up in his blankets and listened.

"Is that thunder?" he asked.

"I don't think so," his sister said in a low voice.

The noise was long and drawn out. Deep as distant thunder, it lasted far too long.

"Not wind, either," he said.

"It's almost like a shuttle," she said.

"Too deep for that," he said and tossed his blankets off. "Wake everybody. Get your binoculars."

Tammy scuttled off and began shaking everyone to consciousness. Mike picked up his lantern and switched it on, illuminating the barn loft and eliciting groans of complaint from his drowsy companions. The air was cool but he ignored it long enough to get his boots on and to find his jacket. Roy was the first out of his bedroll and like Mike he got his boots on before finding warmer clothes.

"What's going on?" Jean asked.

"What's that noise?" asked Roy.

"That's a ship coming in for a landing," said Yoshi, pulling his winter coat on before finding his boots.

"Are you sure?" Mike demanded. Ships did not land on Juniper. Shuttles landed. That's what shuttles were for. Ships remained in orbit because there was no proper port anywhere on the planet. Building one would cost too much and freighters were not built to land on unimproved terrain. That would make them cost too much.

"I'm sure," Yoshi confirmed, finally putting his boots on. "We lived five klicks from the port on Tamerlane. Damned things flew right over top of us every day. My dad..."

"Yoshi!" snapped Jean, silencing him. She turned to her older brother. "What do we do?"

"I don't know," he said, taking the binoculars from Tammy. "Get the animals saddled. Don't worry about the packs. Just get the emergency gear. Yoshi, come with me."

"Why?" Roy asked, already heading for the ladder down.

"If it is a ship coming in for a landing, they might be in trouble." Mike strode for the loft door at the south end of the barn, Yoshi scrambling after him, still trying to fasten his boots.

Mike slid the door aside and gazed up at the night sky above the trees. He knew these stars well and knew roughly where OS1, the orbital station, should be. He found it and then began scanning.

"There!" said Yoshi, pointing.

"Where?" asked Mike, dropping the binoculars long enough to see where the younger boy was pointing.

Just above the tree tops was a line of white smoke or a contrail illuminated by the risen moons. Mike couldn't be sure which. The binoculars revealed a dark, streamlined shape like a massive shark cutting through the air. It wobbled drunkenly in its descent and cut a long curve as it lined up with the ridge of hills to the east. Red flame burst from the side and quickly vanished. Mike's jaw dropped and he thrust the binoculars into Yoshi's hands.

"What do you think?" he asked almost fearfully.

"I think it's going to crash!" Yoshi said in awe. "Never seen a crash landing."

"Keep an eye on it," ordered Mike. He dashed back to his bedroll and found his data pad. A flip of a switch brought it to life and he listened while his parents' transceiver chimed. It was the middle of the night so likely they were both sound asleep, but his father had installed an extension in their bedroom long ago. It took only three chimes before Bob's voice came over the link.

"Mike?" Bob said. He did not sound sleepy. "What's wrong?"

"We're alright, Pa," Mike assured him. "I think a ship is about to crash land."

"A ship?" demanded Bob.

"Open your window," said Mike hurriedly. "You can probably hear it. Sounds like thunder."

"Hold on. Your mother's doing it now."

Mike heard the muffled sound of the window sliding open and waited.

"We can hear it," Bob said after a moment. "You sure it's a ship? Sounds way the hell off."

"I saw it through binoculars, Pa. It's a ship."

"Alright," Bob said. In the background Mike could hear movement and the closet door open. "I'm on my way."

"We're on our way!" called Deborah insistently.

"We're on our way," grunted Bob.

"Pa, don't get in too big a hurry," Mike said in a rush. "I'll go and check it out. I'll report back and you can bring whatever is needed. Maybe it only needs parts. It hasn't even set down yet."

"You stay where you are!" Deborah snapped.

"No!" countered Bob. "Babe, he's right."

"But..." she began.

"He's right," Bob cut in. "If the ship is still in the air we won't know where to go. Even in the spinner it will take us an hour to get to Mike and the other kids. Maybe we won't be able to land. That means we'll need mounts. We need emergency gear for sure. And OS1 is probably already tracking it. Mike and the kids are first responders."

"But..." she began again.

"It is their duty!" Bob insisted.

"They're just kids!" Deborah objected.

"They are settlers," said Bob more gently. "Just like Dan and me were back when we rescued Tammy. Mike knows what to do. They all do except maybe that Takemori kid. Keep an eye on him, Mike. Don't let him get hurt."

"I understand, Pa," said Mike. "Don't worry, Ma. We'll be okay. I'll take care of them.

When we find the ship, I'll report back, let you know what the terrain is like."

"Good luck, son," said Bob. "We'll get the rescue team up and ready."

"Talk to you soon. Love you both. Out."

Mike was already heading back to the loft door as he signed off. Yoshi was still looking through the binoculars. The rumbling from the ship was getting louder.

"What is it doing?" asked Mike, stopping behind him.

"It keeps dropping lower," Yoshi said. "Slowing down, too. Still more than two hundred klicks out, but closing fast. It'll be over your station pretty soon. I don't know if it's going to make it this far, though."

"Why?" asked Mike. He wanted to take the binoculars and have a look for himself, but Yoshi was doing fine and the binoculars would record the location wherever the ship came down anyway.

"It looks pretty beat up," said Yoshi. "Fires and small explosions keep flashing from the side. Mike, I've never seen a ship like this before."

"Is it not one of ours?" Mike asked, intrigued. He had not expected that.

"Not any design I ever saw." Yoshi shook his head, though he did not take the binoculars from his eyes. "Doesn't look CP at all. We don't build them that way. Drive looks weird. It isn't fully enclosed."

"Hull damage, maybe," speculated Mike.

"Don't think it would be that symmetrical." Yoshi leaned forward in anticipation. "It just dropped a hundred meters!"

Mike looked out into the night sky and saw the bright red flashes of more fires explode and die. The ship was definitely lower.

"It's wobbling!" reported Yoshi excitedly. "Now it's steady again! Still dropping. I think it just passed over your station. Coming down! It's hitting the treetops! Wow! That was close!"

"Hey! You got the animals saddled?" Mike called down to the others.

"They're all ready to go!" Jean called back.

"Emergency gear is on the stock," added Roy.

"Rifles are loaded and checked!" Tammy put in.

A distant boom sounded and the thunder ended.

"It hit!" cried Yoshi in awe and wonder. "Oh man! It just clipped a tree and went down hard! Smoke! Lots of smoke!"

Mike snatched the binoculars from the smaller boy and looked for himself. Yoshi was right. A cloud of smoke showed among the trees and there was a gash in the forest canopy anyone could see. He took the lenses from his eyes and transferred the position from the binoculars to his pad then sent it broadcast over the community net with a flash alert for emergency aid.

"Come on!" Mike shouted and stormed down the ladder. Yoshi was right behind him and the whole group was mounted and on the trail seconds later.

"Shouldn't we be galloping?" Yoshi asked nobody in particular.

"It's nighttime," Tammy called over her shoulder. She was third in line and leading the stock animals with their small emergency packs full of medical gear and tools.

"The steelies don't have NVG*, Yoshi," explained Jean. She rode next to the boy and gave him a grim smile he could barely see in the dark under the trees. "Keep low to Little Gertie's neck. Don't want to get knocked off if she goes under a low branch."

Yoshi obeyed, forgetting his excitement and suddenly fearful of the night shrouded forest.

Though they were not galloping, their mounts were traveling at a good trot. Strong legs and sharp claws made their trek easier than if the teens had been astride horses or any other hooved animals. From time to time Mike checked his data pad to be sure they were still on course. Minutes turned to an hour. The underbrush became thicker and their pace slowed. Finding game trails was less easy than in the daylight, but Roy had thought to bring his NVG goggles and everyone had flashlights. Long before they sighted the ship they could see where it was by the cloud of smoke that hung low around the trunks of the trees.

Mike reined in and lifted his binoculars to his eyes, scanning the area.

"It's a mess up there," he declared.

"Bad?" Roy asked.

"Downed trees and branches everywhere," said Mike. "We can get a little closer with the steelies, but I think we'll need to cover the last bit on foot. Have to check the path. Don't want to lame any of the stock."

"It'll be dawn soon," Tammy observed.

"They might not be able to wait for daylight," Mike said.

He was just about to spur his mount forward when Yoshi made a choked sound of disbelief.

"What is it?" Jean demanded.

"The station!" he cried and pointed up through a break in the trees.

All eyes scanned the patch of sky and locked on bright sparks, no more than pin pricks. The sparks flared for a few seconds and then stopped.

"Reckon it's shuttles coming to help?" Roy said, frowning.

Mike lifted his binoculars and looked at OS1. They showed him very little. As powerful as they were, the binoculars were not meant for looking at things in orbit.

"I don't think so," he said after consideration. "Something going on up there, but it isn't shuttles launching. Jean, call Pa. Tell him what we're doing. Roy, come with me. The rest of you wait here until we've scouted a bit."

"I should go, too," said Tammy, handing the stock lead to Yoshi.

"No," Mike said curtly. "Stay here. You're the next oldest. You're in charge till we get back. We'll call if the way is clear enough."

Tammy flicked her tail pensively. She didn't like it, but she understood what her brother intended. Still, she didn't like it. She could see better than any of the Humans and her sense of smell was many times greater. She didn't need night vision goggles or even a flashlight, though both would help. She didn't think any predator would have stuck around the area after the crash, but there was a chance and she would know about it before either Jean or Yoshi. Their steelies would likely notice the scent of a bear or puma before she did, but they would not necessarily react in an intelligent manner. They might bolt or circle to defend themselves. She would be able to reason out a defense in such a situation and protect her younger sister and the off-world boy. With that in mind she drew her Johnson Big Bore from the boot strapped along her saddle.

*****

"Christ," Mike swore softly as he tied his reins to a fallen tree. "Watch your footing."

"Yeah," agreed Roy, sliding out of his saddle. "I've never seen a crash site before."