Abby Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

At that moment James behind her said quietly. "Hold the halter firmly, and talk to him."

Abby thought great, what do you say to a horse, but nonetheless she pulled the halter firmly down, and said calmly. "Just because you're big, does not mean you can boss me around, now stop clowning and stand still." she went on in the same tone, meaningless words, and Jason quieted. His big brown eyes still watched her warily, and his great nostrils opened wide to take in her scent. Maybe the signals he was getting did the trick, but more likely it was the return of Lizzy with his saddle and tack. With the skill developed through long experience she had Jason in his bridle, and the saddle on his back in next to no time, moving under the horse with little fear to tighten the girth. James had vanished, but returned shortly leading Cassie, the mare. Now that Jason was saddled up, James and Lizzy looked expectantly at Abby, who looked at Jason, who turned his head to look back at her. She didn't know how she would get on to this huge beast, on the few occasions she had ridden before there had always been a mounting block.

Lizzy seemed to realise the problem and came round beside her. "Bend your left leg and I'll give you a boost into the saddle." Abby did as she was instructed and was amazed as Lizzy literally propelled her off the ground, it was more by luck than judgement that her right leg went over the saddle and she found herself sitting like a sack of potatoes in the saddle. Lizzy adjusted the stirrups and fitted Abby's boots into them, at the same time whispering to her. "Keep your heels down." The reins lay slack on Jason's neck in front of her and she picked them up. The horse started forward immediately as if she had given him the signal to walk on.

James had mounted Cass and riding alongside, leant over and pulled Jason up from the bridle. "I thought you said you had ridden before?" He accused her.

"I have, but only a few times, and on horses that were very gentle, well behaved, and knew exactly what to do even when the riders didn't."

James gave that grin. "Oh well, you just sit on top of Jason, and we'll walk around a bit until you get the hang of it." Without waiting for a reply he urged Cass on and Jason walked on too.

Abby did not find the walk too difficult, as they followed James out of the yard and onto the gravel in front of the house, the horses hooves made a shushing sound as they walked around in a large circle. This allowed James time to see how Abby coped. Lizzy had come out as well, and walked close by Jason, giving Abby instructions, getting her used to bringing Jason to a halt, making him move on again, and turning him left and right. James watched closely, and satisfied that she knew enough not to fall off, he suggested that they move on and up the hill behind the house,

Abby agreed. "But only as long as this horse doesn't have to go any faster than this."

James smiled and replied. "No, not really, but perhaps we might get into a trot." The grin erupted on his face again.

Before Abby could reply, Lizzy came running out and alongside Jason proffering a riding hat to Abby. "Put this on." She called. Abby accepted the hat leaning precariously down to grab it, and put it on with one hand. Jason had ignored the commotion and walked placidly on, following Cass who was now walking down the drive towards the gate.

They turned left at the gate and followed the lane upwards. It was another of those lanes that obviously did not carry a tremendous amount of traffic. The surface was rough and pitted, with a central core of muck supporting a healthy growth of grasses. The unkempt hedgerows crowded in leaving just enough room for the two horses and riders to pass between them. Abby had somehow coaxed Jason alongside of James, although she was not too sure that she was in control, it may have been Jason's instinctive need to lead, and not follow. The horse seemed determined to walk under branches, which would have brushed Abby from his back, if she had not ducked, and no amount of pulling on the reins would make him alter his course. James watched this unequal struggle for a while, all the time the irrepressible grin hovering close to his mouth.

Eventually he leaned towards Abby and told her. "Jason is a bit thick, give him a nudge with your left boot to turn him right and vice versa and pull the reins over sharply. He's cross-trained" Abby was grateful for the information, but her efforts remained ineffectual. James again leaned across.

"Give him a good boot next time, don't just tickle him, make him know that you're the boss." The advice seemed to work, with the next branch looming closer, Abby gave Jason a hefty kick with her left heel, and the horse obediently moved over.

They climbed for some time and Abby was surprised when James told her it was nearly a mile and a half. The height of the hedges diminished, and eventually Abby was able to see more of the country. She had to admit that you certainly could see more from the back of a horse; but she wasn't going to let on to James, just yet. They approached a gate, and she decided to exert her authority over Jason a little more, guiding him towards the gate, and gently but firmly pulling the reins to bring him to a stop. Here was a vantage point that allowed her to see far more of the valley. To her left through trees she could see the roof of Lyney House, beyond those the Church steeple, and to the right of that the village, the thatch and slate roofs, showing as glimpses between the trees, which seemed to predominate from this angle. They were high enough here for her to make out clearly the line of the railway, and she could follow it easily as it curved sinuously through the valley, crossing the river, towards the old station. From there on it could be traced by the cuttings and embankments, still clearly evident after all these years, yet not intruding on the hillocks and woodland that marked the lower valley. James had turned Cassie round and rode back down to stand alongside her.

Abby continued her observation for a while, and then without turning to James said. "It's rather pretty, isn't it?"

He didn't say anything for a while. Then clarifying his thoughts. "When you see something every day, you can sometimes lose sight of its value. Then it takes someone else to point out the obvious. Yes it is pretty. It's taken a few hundred years to make it that way, and it wasn't really planned, but that's how it ended up."

Abby turned in the saddle. "You know you are a little bit of a philosopher in a way."

He looked startled. "What makes you say that?"

"Well, what you said just now, and before when I was down the first time, we were at the old station when you said something about the railway changing all your lives."

James looked a little lost."I can't really remember, was I maudlin at the time?"

Abby laughed. "No you weren't, but you had dropped the superficial flippancy you practise." She could feel James getting uncomfortable, so changed topic slightly. "It must be wonderful to own all of this."

The horses, sensing that they might stand here for a while had stretched their necks down and cropped the lush green grass that grew at the side of the gate. James looked at her. "Own!" He queried "I own it in the pattern of inheritance, as my father did, and grandfather. But it's not mine to sell, it has to be passed on to the next generation. And if that wasn't enough reason, how could I sell the lives of all these people, who have worked their land for years, good times and bad, now mostly bad. They own the land more than I do, as it is their sweat that has made it productive. No, if I cannot sell this land then I don't really own it, I'm just borrowing it for a while." He stopped, seemingly embarrassed at this rather long speech. Abby regarded him thoughtfully. She had made the mistake before of presuming to understand him, and as before he had brought her up short, having to rethink her opinion of him.

James pulled Cassie up, and Jason assuming that something was about to happen raised his head also. "I think we should head back now, Lizzie will be waiting to settle these two in their stalls, and if we are late, she won't have much drinking time left." He pulled on Cassie's bit, and turned her head. Abby did likewise, but felt that Jason obliged her, rather than actually following her command of the reins. They made their way slowly down the lane. "How do you feel on Jason," He asked.

"I shall probably be very sore in the morning, but he is as you said, accommodating to my inexperience."

James laughed. "If you speak to Lizzie she will let you have some ointment to relieve the soreness. Now I should tell you everyone will know you have used it as it smells to high heaven, but it is effective."

Abby smiled ruefully. "I think I should rather take the hot bath routine in that case, people here seem interested enough in my movements, without my broadcasting the situation."

He looked across at her with that grin again. "You don't need to worry about that, Lizzie knows, and she is the local propaganda service. Tomorrow everybody will know."

Lizzie was polishing tack when they rode into the yard, and promptly took charge of the horses, looping Cassie's reins through a bracket while she unsaddled Jason, and led him off to his stall.

As she passed Abby she whispered. "If you are sore at all, I have a good liniment." Abby declined politely, smiling to herself as she took note of James's warning. He had disappeared, but returned as Abby left the yard.

"It would be polite of me to introduce you to my mother. But she has a bit of a headache and has gone to her room. She sends her apologies, and would you like to come up one afternoon and take tea?"

Abby was grateful for the headache, she didn't feel like being introduced to the Comberford matriarch, wearing Chinos and a sweatshirt. "I quite understand, tell her I would love to come to tea one afternoon." Abby felt a little unreal. She had known that James' mother was alive, but somehow in her conversations with him felt that she didn't affect his life at all, her intuition told her that the headache was merely an excuse, in order that their meeting should be more formal. The other thing that disturbed her was the assumption that this meeting was quite important.

They hopped into the Land Rover, and James drove them back to the Combe Inn, exhibiting his usual lively style of driving. As he hadn't asked Abby if she would like to freshen up before leaving the house, Abby excused herself immediately to go to her room. She had though asked him if he would like a drink, and James went to the bar to wait for her. Abby decided to change out of her chinos into something a little more suitable for a drink, at the same time wondering, if this could be construed as a "date", she hadn't had one of those in a long time. She had now become used to using the door to the Bar, rather than the door to the Lounge. Any feelings of discomfort by being in the Bar had long vanished. By the time she came down, James was involved in a lively conversation with the other customers, including Sam, She assumed it was something to do with farming judging by the odd terms that flew out of the group, and decided that no, this was not a date, she stayed at the end of the Bar ready to order a drink realising that she would probably see little of James for the rest of the evening.

Mary gathered her up on a progress through the bar, and sat Abby down at the table she always seemed to use. "Now my dear, would you like one of your Spritzers?"

Abby was about to say yes and changed her mind. "No thanks, Mary. I think I'll have a Vodka and Tonic tonight."

Mary raised her eyebrows. "Bad as that was it, riding Jason."

Abby laughed. "No, he was very good. At times I wondered who was in charge, but he didn't give me any problems."

Now it was Mary's turn to laugh. "I know, Lizzy popped her head through the door while you were upstairs, and in about two minutes told everybody what was what. I'm glad you didn't take up her offer of the liniment though, It would take days for that smell to wear off, and you would have to wash everything it came into contact with."

The mention of washing clothes sparked a thought for Abby. "You have just reminded me, is there a laundry or Launderette in Paverton I can get some washing done? I shall need to get some done soon."

Mary shook her head. "No, no my dear, you just leave things out that you want washing and I'll take care of them. I'll put a basket in your room."

"Mary I can't have you washing for me as well, you do enough round here."

Mary's smile had vanished. "I have a load to do anyway, and the little you put out will not add to the work at all, besides I can't have you going up to Paverton to do your wash, what will people think of me, Mavis wouldn't be very happy with me for certain. No you put things out like I said, and don't worry, they'll all be done properly. Now I'll get you your Gin, no Vodka and Tonic." There was no arguing with her.

Abby sat nursing her drink listening to the voices coming from the bar, the decibels raised and lowered, as the discussion went on, with periods of calm, as the loudest voices presumably took a drink. She was therefore surprised when James appeared and sat down on the stool facing her.

"I'm sorry I left you alone, most ungallant as my mother would say, but farmers are the same the world over, they always have something to talk about. Can I get you another drink?"

Abby declined indicating that she still had plenty in her glass. "I really should get you a drink, after your kindness in allowing me to ride Jason."

James's infectious grin came and Abby knew he would say something flippant. "Oh, I think in that case you should buy Jason a drink for his allowing you to ride him." Abby's laugh was heard the other side, where Mavis had arrived only moments ago, and seeing Abby and James together had opted to join Sam and Mary at the bar. Mavis and Mary exchanged looks, with a slight nod of heads.

Sam caught the unspoken exchange and groaned. "God what are you women up to now; can't you leave well alone?"

Mary laughed, but Mavis with her more fiery character bristled. "Just leaving the two young people to get to know each other, and besides it would be good for James to get married, after all he's been through he deserves a sensible wife. That girl in there would be just perfect for him."

Sam knew his wife well, and unlike most was not afraid to bite back on occasions. "I don't suppose the fact that Abby is probably well off has got anything to do with it now, would it?" There was nothing that Mavis could say to that; her transparent motive would give Sam an inward chuckle for many months to come, it was not often that he was able to leave her lost for words.

Mary charged into Abby's room the next morning without waiting for the reply to her hefty knock at the door. "We are going to have a good thunderstorm today, if I'm any judge. Be right though, clear the air and the weather will be much more pleasant after. Got you some tea." She placed the cup on the bedside table. "Now, where's the washing you want done, good day to get it sorted, as there'll be a good drying breeze after the storm." Abby had already packed a bag with her dirty things, ready to take them to Paverton, or wherever the laundry was. Mary seemed to home in on these without being told, and picked up the bag. "Now don't you worry, Love; these will be done with care. I'll sort out the things which need hand-washing." Mary bustled around picking up one or two other things, which she judged would need washing. Then she looked at Abby, "usual breakfast?" She asked raising her eyebrows with the question. Abby just nodded, lifting herself up in the bed.

"Thank you, Mary... for the tea, and everything else." Mary went slightly red with embarrassment, but flashed her beaming smile and rushed out.

Abby lay back for a while to relax, sipping the hot tea, and enjoying the warmth of her bed whilst listening to the rain now pattering against the windowpane. Her memories of her mother had dimmed over the years, but Mary's caring, motherly attitude, brought back feelings that had long been forgotten. Perhaps it was the sense of loss that they both felt, Abby for her long dead mother, and Mary for the child she had never borne. It was a kind of symbiosis; they each gave the other something they missed. It was strange that here she should feel so welcomed. Perhaps it was the ghost of granddad, and the guilt that the villagers felt over his isolation, although from all accounts; that was self-imposed; and then his death. Perhaps it was guilt for her mother, running away because there was no one she could talk to.

These people had welcomed her as no one else had done, and indicated that she was one of their own. Abby had come here to make life decisions. Was one of those decisions being made for her? Should she stay here? Staying at the Combe Inn on a permanent basis was not an option, but possibly somewhere in the village? If she did stay, what could she do to earn a living? She knew that her investments would keep her for the rest of her life quite comfortably, that was not a problem, but doing something was. She had grown up accepting that hard work was an imperative, her position today was a result of hard work, and accepting rebuffs and insults from the City, which did not approve of females. Her determination had got her through. It was, she thought uncharacteristic that she had accepted this final proof of the Glass Ceiling, but there again, perhaps there comes a limit to the number of times one can rap on the window without answer, and the deal she got added a very nice sum to her capital wealth. But was it strictly necessary to be in the City to work. Being on-line with a good computer could offer her opportunities. These thoughts she put to the back of her mind, another day would be sufficient, for today would be a good day to read Mr. Brusher's writings; there was a comfortable chair in the room, and she knew that Mary would provide her with constant hot drinks.

An hour later, with one of Mary's breakfasts sitting well inside her, she sat down to read.

To be continued

12