Abby Ch. 19

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Abby agreed. "Yes. One of my little indulgences, we will use it Saturday evening. James is going to pick it up, and give it a good clean. After all we don't want to turn up at Coolton Grange in a dirty car."

Mavis agreed with that. "Oh yes. They will all be there trying to outdo their friends and acquaintances. There will be quite a few Rolls-Royces' and Bentleys, some of them even owned by the people who turn up in them."

Abby laughed. "Mavis, that's a bit cynical."

Mavis smiled as well. "Perhaps. Let us just say that some of the people going only come down here for weekends and holidays, and for events like the Hunt Ball. I don't have any time for them. Not like Mr. James, who lives here, and tries to make things work. And that isn't easy for him either."

Abby was intrigued. "Why is that?"

"Oh I shouldn't say really, but I know of one or two occasions when Mr. James has forgiven tenants their rent when they couldn't, or wouldn't pay. Them as does it forgets, that money is what Mr. James has to live on, and a quarter or two's rent is a big drop in his income. Not right if you ask me." This was another side of James of which Abby had not been aware. She had an idea of the acreage of the estate, and knew approximately how much per acre it could command in rent. She also knew that not all of the acreage was let, much had no agricultural use, but her business brain told her that James' income from the estate was relatively modest. Unless he had some very good investments, his circumstances were not going to be comfortable. The exchange he had with his mother bore that out. Mavis had gone on. "He's a good landlord, Mr. James. Years ago we would call him Squire. It was used with respect; and has to be earned you don't buy the title with the land: Sam and I, and others, think of him as the Squire. I know he doesn't like that term, but that's how we think of him.

They arrived at the Combe Inn, and Abby drove straight round the back. Mavis carried the box, and Abby opened the door for her. She looked round quickly to see if James was there. Pleased that he wasn't, Mavis brought the box through and Mary opened the door so they could go straight upstairs.

"Mary. " Mavis began almost as soon as she was in the door. "I shall need to get this hung up somewhere so that it doesn't crease. It won't do it any harm to get a bit more airing either. Can you suggest somewhere?"

Mary didn't have to think. "Put it in my wardrobe. It's deeper than the one in Abby's room, and it's got plenty of room."

With the Cape carefully hung, they came back down to the Bar. Sam had already bought a round of drinks. The usual Port and Lemon for Mavis and guessing a Vodka and Tonic for Abby. James still had not made an appearance, and Mary thought that strange, as he had got into the habit of popping in every evening lately. Mavis and she had agreed, happily, that Abby was probably the reason for this. Eventually he did arrive, making his way through the bar, stopping for a chat with every group until he joined Abby. A pint appeared and he gratefully took a sip before addressing Abby. "I managed to speak to George Walker, and he said he could get down here on Friday to have a preliminary look at what needs doing."

"That's quick."

"Well I did say that this was probably a job for which he would be paid promptly. Cheered him up no end."

Mary laughed. "He was in here once having a good moan. Told me that he had done some work for someone in the area, and it took him eight months to get his money!"

Abby thought that was terrible. "In the City all accounts have to be settled on Pay Day at the end of the month. Everybody pays all that they owe, so the money goes around. Everybody gets what they are due, so they can pay what they have spoken for."

James had only a vague idea of what she was talking about, but agreed that it was a good system. "In case anybody is wondering, it wasn't me, obviously. You have seen the state of my house. I can't afford George's prices anyway." As usual his mouth showed his habitual grin

Abby was worried. "I really can't tell this man how much needs to be done, until I know what the place looked like. I have written to Mr. Brasher, but as yet have no reply."

James told her not to worry. "I think that George will understand that. He will be looking at basic work that needs to be done. As the station is a listed building, he will talk with the Heritage Officer from the Council, and the English Heritage people who will let him have all the do's and do not's. They are quite strict by the way. I assume that as they listed the building they will have details, possibly photos to use as a guide."

"What about the house?" Abby asked.

James could not give advice for the house. "I don't know if that is listed or not. I would imagine it is. I think the general rule is that as long as it is restored outside, you can within reason modernise it inside, plumbing and central heating etc. George will know more than anyone, as he seems to do quite a lot of work on historic buildings." Abby was content with that, although worried about how long she would need to be down at the station. James like most men had little idea of the preparations a woman needed for such an important event.

Mavis and Mary had listened to this conversation with interest. They had already discussed what sort of curtains and colour schemes they thought the house should have. It didn't seem to occur to them that Abby may have her own ideas. They moved away to discuss these issues leaving James and Abby alone apart from Sam, who despite his wife's signals stayed where he was. James was saying that the clock would have to come down and be restored.

"They are quite valuable you know, so it should be taken out before George starts work. The house would not be that secure once they start work, and an item like that could walk quite easily. There's a specialist in Paverton. Best to take it to him for cleaning. He'll keep it secure until you're ready to move in." Sam then told Abby that he and Harry would be putting up a gate, clearing all the weeds away, and putting gravel down. Abby was surprised and grateful.

"Sam that's really good of you. You must let me pay you though."

Sam shook his head. "No Love, wouldn't hear of it. The post and rail is sitting there doing nothing, and the gravel we will get from the old quarry. There's plenty of it there. I am sure Mr. James won't mind us taking a trailer load or two." James shook his head. "Anyway the work will get me away from my Missus for a while. I love her to bits, but she can get a bit much when I am there all day and every day. Be good to be doing something."

Abby was quite astounded at the help people would offer, with no expectation of recompense. In the city no-one did anything for anyone without a gratuity being anticipated in one way or another. Sam explained. "This is a small community, if something needs doing, everyone will pitch in and help get it done. After all most here will have been friends for years, or even related. So it's natural to help. What does it take? A day's labour, or a few materials, that's very little. But it brings people together, and at sometime the favour will be returned."

James agreed, nodding his head vigorously. "That is one of the things that has bound me to this valley. Call it patriarchal or whatever, I couldn't walk away from the spirit that exists here. My father knew that. He could have sold. He had offers I know. This community looks after each other. That appeals to me."

Abby lightly slapped his arm. "James, you are getting all emotional. That isn't you at all, now stop it."

Suitable penitent, James grinned. "Ok, drama over for this evening." Mavis and Mary had rejoined them and watched this exchange with pleasure, for this was how a couple who were growing attached to each would behave. Sam noted as well, and hoped that his wife would not make too much of it. He was grateful when Mavis made no comment.

Abby then changed the subject. "I shall be back here on Saturday about three o' clock. When will you pick up the car?"

James looked aghast. "I had forgotten that! I won't be back from Taunton until about six. I will not have time to clean it."

Abby's disappointment showed on her face. "Oh well I shall have to see if I can get it cleaned by the garage in Paverton."

Mary had been listening. "No, Abby. Hang on a moment." She went over to where Jack was serving and had word in his ear. He nodded and came back with her, wiping his hands on a tea-towel. Mary was smiling. "Jack will clean the car."

Abby was grateful. "Are you sure Jack? I don't want to be a bother."

He shook his head. "No trouble at all."

Abby smiled and decided the least she could do, would be to buy drinks for them all, she dug in her purse and took out some money. "Thanks Jack. Let me buy my round, and you and Mary have one as well, please?" Another problem resolved.

After the drinks were served, Abby turned to James. "So Mr. Comberford. What time are you picking me up on Saturday evening?

"Probably about nine."

"Probably?" Enquired Abby frostily, "I have a lot to do, so I need it to be a little more accurate than 'probably'."

Mary was nodding her head. "Mr. James!" She said in astonishment.

"Right, I understand. Well I shall pick you up at precisely nine o' clock. That will be P.M. Or if you prefer the army way twenty one hundred hours." He added with a little grin. "Will that be alright?"

Abby nodded. "That will be fine, James, and I shall, fashionably, be a little late of course, but you won't mind at all, will you?"

"I shall hide my impatience admirably. Mother will approve of your being fashionably late. It's exactly what she would do." Abby had no doubt of that. She felt sure that Gwen Comberford, even if she were ready, would have delayed her entrance for at least ten minutes.

When she went to bed that evening, Abby was unable to sleep for quite a while. Her mind was turning over the comments Sam had made about helping one's neighbours, and she aware of how much help she had received, and also how much was about to be offered. She so much wanted to start giving in return, but could not think of how this could be done. Her last thought calmed her mind. The future would bring the opportunity.

To be continued

12