Abby Ch. 22

Story Info
Abby searches for her roots and finds something else.
5.4k words
4.83
22.6k
7

Part 23 of the 37 part series

Updated 10/31/2022
Created 06/15/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Kezza67
Kezza67
1,193 Followers

Abby was having breakfast on the Monday morning when the phone rang. Mary answered it, and had a brief conversation with the caller, before coming into the Lounge. "Abby, it's for you." She immediately thought it would be George Walker, and was surprised at how quick he had been, when Mary said. "It's Sir Richard Wellings." Abby's surprise showed by her raised eyebrows.

The phone was on the Bar, so Abby walked round. "Hello Sir Richard, how are you?"

"Now Abby, I thought we had covered that bit. It's Richard. I'm well thanks. Have you caught up on your sleep yet?"

"Yes thanks I have. It's good to hear from you, Richard. A surprise as well."

"Well I don't call everybody after the Ball. But I thought I would ring and ask if you enjoyed yourself."

"I did, thank you, very much. Something very new for me I have to say, but very enjoyable."

"It didn't seem as if you were not used to such functions. You fitted in as if you were born to it. Maggie reckons you were the star."

"Thanks for saying that Richard, but to tell the truth I was a bundle of nerves."

"Now, Abby I don't believe that." He laughed. "I rang because Maggie and I were thinking to ask you and James over for some lunch one day. What do you say?"

Abby thought for a moment. "That's very kind of you. I shall speak to James when I see him; I am going to London for a few days shortly. May I call you when I get back?"

"Of course you may. You're not going back to move money around again for that Bank, I hope."

"No, no. I am going to clear my flat and put it on the market."

"Oh? And where is your flat? If you don't mind me asking." Abby explained where the flat was.

Richard listened carefully. Then asked about the accommodation. "It's a two bedroom, serviced flat. Private underground parking with twenty-four hour porter."

"Abby, can I get back to you possible later today or tomorrow. I know someone who is looking for a flat in Kensington. If I were to put him in touch with you, you could save a little on Estate Agents fees. Would you mind?"

"No, not at all."

"And Abby. He is just an acquaintance, not a friend. So don't think I am asking for a special deal. Find out the market price, and that's what you ask of him." Abby agreed with him, although when it came to money she had learned her lessons in the City, and knew the value of every last penny. It hadn't entered her head to offer this man a special price. "I'll get back to you as soon as I have spoken to him. Goodbye, Abby."

"Goodbye, Richard, and thanks."

Abby wanted to ask James about coming to London, but didn't want to do it here, in the Inn. She decided to go down to the station for a while. She felt there was a good chance that James would suddenly appear. She was right. He did. He rode up on Cassie about half an hour after she got there.

"Good morning Abby. How are you today?"

"Morning James. I'm well thanks. How are you? Thrown any peasants out today?" The laughter was in her face. He grinned.

"No, I must be getting soft in my old age."

"You didn't look old on Saturday night, gallivanting around the floor." He smiled, and dismounted. Cass followed him as he walked towards her. Abby held her face up, and was delighted when he kissed her. Cass put a stop to that by nudging Abby with her nose demanding a fuss.

"I can do that here," James remarked, "that is if Cass will let me, but if I tried at the Inn, the bush telegraph would be fizzing."

Abby laughed. "Yes I know. I don't think it would be a good idea. I am glad to see you. Richard phoned this morning, and asked if you and I would like to go over for lunch one day. I said I would ask you, and get back to him."

"Sounds good to me, unless he is going to try and sell me that useless piece of land again. Yes, let's go. When do you think?"

"Ah, well there is something else I want to ask. It's a bit of a favour really. I have decided to go to London for a day or so. Basically to pack up the flat, and put it on the market."

"Burning your boats are you?"

Abby nodded. "Yes I suppose you could say that, although the decision was made a while ago. The thing is that I would like some company, otherwise I may get maudlin. It's a big favour I know, but would you come with me?"

Abby was pleased to see that James did not have to think about his answer. "Of course I will come with you." He replied immediately. "When are you thinking of going?"

Abby's thinking had not extended to deciding a day. She thought quickly. "Let's say Thursday, come back Friday. No! The traffic on the motorway will be murder Friday afternoon. What about we go down on Sunday, and come back on Tuesday. That will give me plenty of time."

"Good idea, I'll book myself a Hotel."

"Don't be silly James. There are two bedrooms in the flat. You don't have to worry about my reputation you know."

"I do though. If Mary or anyone round here thought I was staying with you at the flat, they would welcome you back as if you had been on Honeymoon. It will be better if I book a hotel." If Abby felt a little disappointed she didn't show it. She hadn't issued an invitation for them to sleep together, merely creating an opportunity to do so if the situation felt right. She was pleased that James though had the consideration to believe that her reputation was important.

She turned the conversation back to Richard Welling's invitation. "We'll ring Richard later that week. It will be nice to see the Grange in daylight."

"It's quite a place." James told her. "The gardens are very good. They should be. He has two full-time gardeners, and Maggie to get them looking so well."

"Oh, does Maggie garden?"

"No, but she makes sure the gardeners do."

Abby smiled. "Do you think he has a reason for inviting us?"

James shrugged his shoulders. "I wouldn't think so, apart from getting to know you. Very difficult at the Ball, as the Host he is pulled this way and that, trying to keep everything going well. No. I would imagine that it is just getting to know the new resident of the valley."

Abby examined that in her mind, perhaps James was right, it was just simple courtesy that gave the reason. "How's your mother?"

James cheered. "Gone again. Back to Berkshire. At least I shall have some peace now."

"Oh poor James. Does she make your life a misery? She's very fond of you, you know. She's just worried about you."

"Yes, well if that's the case she can stop worrying. I am alright." Abby felt that Gwen would not believe James was alright until he had married. She wondered if James thought of her as a possible candidate, if he did, how would she react? At this moment the answer would be probably negative. Abby wanted to have a meaningful occupation. Something that would sustain her over and above being a wife. James had a meaning to his life here; Abby could not endure just being a consort to his vocation. A reality crept into her mind. James would never ask her to marry him. His pride would not let him, for the thought that she may believe he asked only to marry her money. If there was any asking to be done, Abby felt that she would have to do that or create the conditions for him to do so. She laughed inwardly as she realised that she was the one who was pushing their relationship forward. James must think of her as a brazen hussy, although he didn't seem to mind at all when she invited him to kiss her.

This musing was interrupted as James was asking a question. "Sorry, I was miles away. What did you ask?"

He grinned. "You are going native so fast! I asked if you had thought any more about what you will do with it when the station is done." Abby hadn't thought beyond getting the place restored.

"No. Apart from seeing it as granddad saw it."

"You mean you are doing it as a tribute to him." Abby was astounded. James had just put into words the idea that had never properly formed all this time. She turned to him.

"That's it. That is what I have been doing all this time, but didn't really know it. A tribute to Thomas Tregonney. How clever of you." Impulsively she took hold of his shoulders and kissed him. "Thank you, James." He smiled casually.

"Well if I get a kiss every time I come up with a good idea, then I shall have to think of many." He quipped, and then carried on with his question. "But what will you do with it when it is restored. It will look just as it did, but you will not want to stand here all day and just look at it, will you?"

Abby shook her head, and wandered down the platform a little. Turning around she said. "I suppose in my mind getting it done was all the challenge I needed. I haven't thought beyond that."

He moved to her side and put his arm around her waist. "Well is it going to be a museum? Or just a complete old station, with no rails, no trains, in the middle of nowhere. Do you see what I am getting at?" Abby did see what he was saying, and for the moment had no answer. She stayed where she was, enjoying James' arm round her waist. She thought furiously. He was right, it should have a purpose. But what purpose?

"You must think me stupid, James. I really haven't gone further than thinking about getting it restored. Do you have a suggestion?"

James did. "Well how about turning it into a kind of educational site? You know with old pictures up, and notices printed which explain what the stationmaster and the porters had to do. How the milk was handled, who brought it, and where it went. What goods were handled, what came into the valley, and what went out of it." James' words were starting to excite Abby.

That was the answer. It would have a purpose, and she was sure that her granddad would approve. She turned to him smiling. "James you have the perfect solution. I love the idea. I think that granddad would be really pleased that if the station could not do what it was designed to do, teaching people about his job would be the very next best thing." She hesitated for a moment as a wicked smile came to her face. "I suppose you think that has earned you another kiss?" James too smiled the wicked smile.

"For that idea, something more would be appropriate."

Abby viewed him archly from beneath her eyebrows. "Down Boy. It was good, but not that good." They smiled at each other, a smile that said they understood that this was flirting with a little bit of danger thrown in to add spice. James was happy that Abby approved of the idea. Although he hadn't talked to Sam, his concerns coincided. He thought it would not be good for Abby to be living here, alone, in what would have been a testimonial to the past. Giving the station a purpose would give her a purpose as well.

He had other worries as well. By coincidence his worries had already been aired by Sam. He had lived in the valley for all his life, and apart from the few years spent in the Army, the valley was all he knew. Abby had only known the valley in summer. James knew that the autumn and winter months presented a very different face. Snow was rare, but wind and rain wasn't. The soggy, cold months of December, January and February, would depress even those who had spent their lives here. How Abby would react James could not guess, but he was sure she would be very miserable if she lived here, all alone through those months. He would not say anything that might deter her; he wanted her here in Combe Lyney; but he knew that he would have to ensure that she was not left alone. This was a duty to which he looked forward with pleasant anticipation.

He broached a subject that could create some problems. "If you do this, it would be good to bring the goods shed into the equation. You know by now that goods were far more important to the railway than passengers."

Abby did know, and perhaps subconsciously she had avoided thoughts of going into the building. She prevaricated. "I thought you had found a use for the goods shed?" She asked lightly.

James had forgotten that, and was stumped a little. He then grinned like a little boy, and had to confess his sin. "Yes." He said slowly. "I did say that, didn't I?" Abby nodded with a smile on her face.

"Well Mr. Comberford. Have I caught you out?"

James nodded. "Ok, Abby. I hold my hands up. It was a bit of a negotiating tactic. Perhaps though it is best that we include it in the agreement. Let's say an unofficial part, best sealed with a handshake, eh?" Abby's eyes twinkled.

"There is a better way." She lifted her head and offered her lips. James was perfectly happy to do business this way. He took her in his arms and the deal was sealed in a way that both of them enjoyed. He held her in his arms after the kiss and looked at her.

"Where are we going, Abby?"

She shook her head. "I don't know, James. But shall we just keep going down the road, and see where it leads?"

He smiled. "That suits me. Let's not read the signposts, until we get to journeys end. Mind you, all these kisses are very enjoyable."

Abby turned away with a smile on her face, keeping his hand in hers, to look in the direction of the goods shed. "I know that I shall have to go in there soon. But I am afraid."

"Well I'll go with you if you want."

"I hoped you would, James, but would you be upset if I asked Sam to come as well. I know that if I get emotional, I would want you to be with me. But Sam was the one who found granddad, and..." Her voice trailed off as she couldn't find the words to explain her feelings. James knew instinctively what she was trying to say.

"I am not upset. I was half expecting you to say that. Sam is the link." Abby nodded, that was absolutely right.

She looked up at him. "Why is it that you always seem to know what I am trying to say?"

"That's because I'm a clever clogs." With those few words James lightened the conversation, bringing a smile back to Abby's face.

She appreciated the change in tone. "Ok, Mr. Clever Clogs. How are we going to get away from here next Sunday without the whole valley putting two and two together and making five?"

"By the whole valley I presume you mean Mary and Mavis. Well it's quite simple really, just tell them the truth. If you were to try subterfuge they would see through it in no time, and then put their own interpretation on it."

It was indeed as simple as that. Mary had overheard Abby tell Sir Richard that she would be going to London, so when Abby told Mavis and Sam that evening she was not surprised. Mavis speculated that it would be a lot of work for Abby, in just two days. "Yes, I know it will, so I have asked James if he would give me a hand. It's just the personal stuff I shall keep. I'll get one of those house clearance people to take the furniture away." She addressed Mavis in a conspiratorial way. "James is booking himself a room at a hotel." Abby had put emphasis in the 'himself'. "Do you think he would be offended if I offered to pay for that? After all he is coming to help me."

Mavis' pleasure at being involved was immediate. She gave the question some thought. "Well, I don't think he would be too offended, he won't accept of course. What do you think, Mary?"

"He will be offended. You know Mr. James, proud, to say the least. The idea of Abby paying for his accommodation, no, he wouldn't like that at all."

Sam had followed this with some amusement. He suspected that Abby had raised this as a way of diverting the two ladies away from their suspicions. He decided to play the game for Abby."Well you could take him out for a good meal."

Mavis and Mary both agreed with enthusiasm. Mary adding the comment. "You know how James likes his food." Abby smiled, the crisis was over. "Will you be bringing much back with you?" Mary asked.

Abby thought about it. "I would imagine that the car will be pretty full, but it is just clothes and a few ornaments. Nothing else."

Mavis being practical asked. "Do you have enough cases then; you don't want to be putting stuff into black bags."

"I think so. I have a couple of large cases, and some smaller ones. They should do."

"Well just in case you need them, I will look out some old cases we have got. If you think you need them, come by anytime and pick them up.

Abby had thought she had got over her announcement quite well. Truth or not it satisfied neither Mary nor Mavis, and much to Sam's disquiet after Abby had gone to bed, their conversation was full of the possible consequences. Not that they were outraged, far from it, this to them was further proof that the two young people were getting close. Mavis had not told Sam about Mary's reporting the scene after the Ball. So it was a surprise to him when Mavis mentioned it. It wasn't wholly a surprise to Sam. He had seen the burgeoning relationship in the small gestures that James and Abby used when they opened the station and house. To him is seemed reasonable to accept that they would get to this point. He hadn't shared his thoughts with his wife, not wanting to add more fuel to the fire she was building. He felt that things were going along naturally without interference. He had to say something when Mavis said to Mary. "I wonder if Abby is taking that Birth control pill. Probably not, good thing too."

Mary was with her on that. "Oh yes. If Abby were to get pregnant, James would not hesitate to marry her."

That was it for Sam. "Now listen you two. James and Abby are getting on well enough. They don't need you talking about it like it was in one of those Sunday papers. In fact, if it got to their ears the way you are going on, I would not be surprised if Abby gave up all her plans and left Combe Lyney for good, rather than be the subject of all your gossip. Now put a stop to it the pair of you." Only rarely did Sam talk to his wife like this, but when he did she listened, not without a rumble of self-righteousness, but she listened and understood when she had overstepped the line. This was one of those occasions. Mary had never heard him like this, and it frightened her. She was treading a fine line between friendship and commercial common sense. If her customers thought she was an out of control gossip, they would not be so pleased to patronise the Combe Inn. She exchanged glances with Mavis and could see that Mavis for all her fiery nature was taking notice.

The autumn ate insidiously into the last flirt of summer. With the days getting shorter Abby felt she had little time to get all the things done she was planning. George Walker had phoned and asked if he could meet to discuss the work she wanted done, they arranged to meet at the Combe Inn. She phoned Michael the porter at her block of flats and told him she would be there on Sunday, and then Sir Richard phoned her to tell her that his acquaintance was very interested in the Flat. Abby had gone on the internet and now had a figure in mind. She told Richard what she was looking for.

"I shall put it on the market for seven hundred and fifty thousand, Richard. I bought an extension on the lease, so there is ninety-four years on it, the price reflects that, but it is still favourable for the area, and I will not move on that."

"I don't think that would be any problem." He replied. "From what I gather Bernard needs to move quite quickly. When are you going to be there?"

"I am going down Sunday, and will be returning here on Tuesday."

"Damn. He's will be in Tokyo then, won't be back until the following Friday."

"There isn't a problem. If he identifies himself to Michael, the porter, he will show him around."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, that will be fine. Give me the name." Richard did that, spelling out the surname as it seemed to have East European origins.

"That's good. I'll leave all the details with Michael, and if your friend wants the place he can put his solicitors in touch with mine."

"Don't worry, Abby. I will tell him. I said before he was only an acquaintance, not a friend, so I am not going to ask for a favour on his behalf. He's well-heeled anyway, been based in Paris, but has to move to London, so will want to complete quickly. When are we going to see you and James?"

Kezza67
Kezza67
1,193 Followers
12