Abby Ch. 30

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They sat down at the large table as Gwen waited for the kettle to boil. Abby was apprehensive, not knowing if this was just a friendly chat, or was Gwen going to put her on the spot. Gwen, secretly was pleased as she realised Abby's fears, but with the coffee made, decided to put her mind at rest.

"Be at ease, Abby I am your friend, really. I just want to get to know you better. My son makes me out to be a dragon, well possibly with him I am, and need to be at times. You will find that in times to come you will have to put a rocket under him. He can be very forceful at times, and then he sits back and lets everything happen without lifting a finger." She took a sip of coffee. "I am so pleased that you are not my husband's daughter. There is no obstacle to you and James getting together. I think I know how you feel about James, and I am certain about his feelings for you. I shall let him know in the strongest terms that if he doesn't ask you to marry him, then I will make life so unpleasant for him that it won't be worth living."

Abby bridled. "You say that you think you know what my feelings are, and go on to tell me that James has to ask me to be his wife. I am not some baggage that has to be attended to. You fail to recognise that even if James were to ask me, irrespective of my feelings, I may not wish to marry him."

"But why?" Gwen had been certain that Abby would jump at the chance.

"I have made my own way in life, and without being boastful, I have done a good job. There are other things that I may want to do. One thing I do not wish is to become a meaningless adjunct to James. It may be that I would like our relationship to go on as it is now, so that I can pursue other interests." This shook Gwen, she had underestimated Abby and she wondered if the expression 'a meaningless adjunct' was an arrow aimed at Gwen's frivolous and irresponsible lifestyle. Abby was the one who was now secretly pleased that the firm foundations that Gwen had assumed had been shaken. The truth was that Abby would probably accept a proposal from James, but that was her decision and she wasn't going to be bullied into a marriage to please Gwen. Nor would she accept a proposal that James had been forced to make by his mother.

Gwen took some time to think, sipping at her coffee whilst trying to find a reply to Abby's forceful statement. "I am sorry, Abby. I was making assumptions. To be honest you make me feel inadequate. I have idled my life away, being as you say a meaningless adjunct to Charles and not a very good one at that so it would seem. You on the other hand have made a lot of your life and from what you say intend to do more. I can see that marriage to James, and living here would severely impair your ambitions." Gwen's apology and response hit Abby. Maybe she had gone too far.

"Gwen, I did not say that a marriage was out of the question. All I want is a bit of time to do what I think I have to. If James asks me at some time, it has to be because he wants me for his wife, and not because he has been pressured into it." There we go, thought Gwen. Nothing as simple as it being a sensible union, they wanted to be in love. What was the matter with young people these days she wondered? Wasn't friendship and common interests enough? Although this was tiresome, she had learned that Abby was not to be bullied. In fact she admired her for that. Abby was her own woman, strong and resourceful, more evidence that she was totally right for James.

She would have to be more devious though; her frontal attack had been rebuffed. "Abby, I believe I have to leave this to your best judgement. Please don't be upset if I seemed to be pushy, as you will probably realise I am not like other mothers. To tell the truth I am probably a very bad mother. But I do want the best for my son. I happen to think that you are the best for him, but if James ever gets up the gumption to ask you, it will be your decision. Now tell me about this plan of yours." Gwen knew that she would find this very boring. She had never given much consideration to the tenant farmers, their problems and struggles to make a living. That their rents allowed her to live in relative comfort was immaterial to her, and given little thought. Therefore she was hardly listening to Abby as she explained the plan.

"As I said it is not my plan, but I am getting involved if only to ensure that the organisation is correct." Abby went on to explain about the co-operative and how they could hopefully exploit a market for premium quality meat and poultry. Abby's description revealed a greater knowledge than Abby herself thought she had. Gwen gave every appearance of listening carefully. If later Abby would recall that Gwen had asked no questions she would realise that this topic had no interest for her. In fact Gwen was already thinking of another subterfuge to bring Abby's money into the family by marriage.

To be continued

12