Across the Pond Ch. 06

Story Info
My salvation lies in your love...
14.4k words
4.83
17.3k
27
7

Part 6 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 01/05/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Swig
Swig
432 Followers

Maxwell

I: Orange Sky.

"Yes!"

Sydney sank to the floor and threw herself into my body, immediately pressing her lips to mine. The ring box dropped to my side and my arms captured her, nervously shaking as I held her. I pulled back slightly to make very sure I'd heard her correctly. "Yes?" I asked hesitantly, and when she placed kisses all over my face it felt as if the greatest fortune in the world had smiled down upon me. "Well that is...may I still propose? I had a whole speech prepared."

She laughed so lovingly and swept away at the tears streaming down her face. When she tucked her knees into her chest I wrapped my legs around her body, the heels of my feet resting against her tailbone. It was then that I proposed.

"Before you, before any of this came to pass, I believed I was happy. I was alone for the first time in fifteen years and it was the only time in my entire life when I felt I could breathe without fear." She always looked so sad when I brought up my past, but that wasn't my intention. I continued:

"I worked relentlessly. Occasionally I'd head out with McKenzie and Charlie, have a few pints and a laugh before returning home alone. It was fine. It was easy. I almost passed on the opportunity to acquire Antonio's, yet on my third night there I was in the office with Anthony and we were interrupted by a commotion downstairs. Through the glass I saw this stunning creature shouting without a care in the world, engaging a particularly rowdy group of blokes and imbibing shots with the lot of them."

She interrupted with a small laugh at the memory. "Yeah, that was the O'Keefe bachelor party, I had to take a cab home that night."

"I don't doubt that. It took me a good week to approach you and you seemed so irritated when I did. I should have left -- I certainly didn't need any more negativity in my life -- but when I sat and you divulged that rather personal anecdote about your name, I felt a surge of loneliness that was massively overwhelming. It had always been there I suppose, but when you doled out such honest hell for interrupting your evening it was the first time I allowed myself to feel something other than numb. You make me feel unmeasured joy and indescribably loved, and everything in between. You've allowed me to feel everything and I am in eternal debt to you. If my wealth was of importance to you I'd give you every pound I have but the only part of me you've ever asked for is my heart. It's yours." I picked up the ring box and cracked it open, but her eyes were only on me. "Please, Sydney. Do me the greatest honor of becoming my wife."

She hid her face in the crook of her arm while she wept. I lifted her left hand away and slipped the ring on her fourth finger before curving my arms around her, enclosing us both in the expansive amount of love I had for her. "Shhh my love, it's alright. Everything is alright."

"I-I don't d-deserve this," she hiccupped. "I d-don't know how, I'll fail..."

"No, none of that. You make me so very happy." I rubbed her back and kissed the top of her head. I knew she was shedding tears of happiness yet I tried to comfort her just the same. "You heal me. I only want the chance to heal you as well."

In the background I heard a door slide open. "Oh...shit, mate. Did she say no?" Sydney's cries suddenly turned to sounds of merriment when she held up her newly adorned hand in Kenzie's direction. "She said yes. She said yes, Poppet! Is it a go, Maxie?"

"I haven't asked yet, give us a moment." He left us just as she lifted her lovely face; dampened, flushed, and utterly confused. "Now -- and I need you to know there is no pressure here, I will completely understand if you say no -- I wondered if, perhaps, you would be willing to marry me here, tonight." Despite her gawking at me as if I'd completely lost all sensibilities I explained. "Samantha was ordained online, we've ordered lilies and there is a notary republic on standby with a marriage license. There is a crew hanging up your twinkly lights in their garden, I found the absolute best bakery in the city to make red velvet cupcakes and -- "

"Why tonight?" She interrupted with a sniffle.

I smiled slightly and cupped her face in my hands, giving her nothing short of the truth. "Because I don't want to spend another sunrise without you as my wife."

She did that thing -- one of my favorite things -- where she sorts of looks right through me, as if she is searching for something while she processes. After a long few moments I suppose she found what she was looking for. "Man, my parents are going to kill me. Let's do it."

Words from an angel. "It's a go, Kenzie," I called out though I know he was just on the other side of the door eavesdropping. Surely enough he barged in half a second later with his wife who immediately grabbed Sydney's hand and dragged my bewildered girl out of the room. I was absolutely stunned she'd said yes, overjoyed and so very grateful. I sat on the floor for a moment just to allow entirety of the feelings she'd given me to fully sink in. At least until Kenzie threw a brush at my chest. "Oww! What the absolute fuck, Sinclair!"

"Stop your daydreaming. We have a million things to do, starting by cutting off that repulsive hair of yours. Now get up and let's go." I rubbed through the throb just below my neck before hurling it back at him, it ended up hitting the wall behind him when he ducked and left a small dent. He wasn't getting away that easily and he knew it, running out of the room the moment I got to my feet and going after him. Wedding day or not, the wanker was going to be slugged.

***

II: Wonderwall.

"There, isn't that much better? Now we can see that beautiful face of yours."

"Stop it." Turning my head to the side I took in the sight of my shortened hairstyle, as it hadn't been cut in a few years it would take some getting used to. I kept some of the length, the strands ended an inch or two past the base of my neck, but I no longer had to tie it back. I began growing it shortly after my nuptials to Simone: partly as some sort of rebellious bid at bodily autonomy, mostly because she despised it and I'm a bit of an arse. As I was now blissfully happy I could get rid of it. I look a self-portrait and sent to it Sydney before thanking Kenzie for his efforts. Does it count as bad luck for me to send a photograph? Are you doing alright? "I appreciate it. For all of this, you're the best brother one could ask for."

"It's more self-serving than anything. With Sydney around maybe now you'll have that massive stick pulled out of your bum and be a normal human being." I rolled my eyes -- a trait I inherited from my fiancée. "No, truly. Thank you for allowing us to be part of the celebration. We adore her and it's evident she loves you dearly, it's a wonderful thing to witness," he commented sincerely.

"And I to her." We were interrupted by a knock at the door and McKenzie went to answer while I opened my received message. Whoo! Nice hair Dimples, I'm gonna grab on it later. I'm fine, I love you, now quit bugging me. I let out a small laugh at the photo of Sydney making a ridiculous face with one eye shut and her tongue sticking out, Samantha mocking her expression in the background. I instantly felt calm, so caught up in the beauty of her silliness I didn't realize Kenzie had left and there was another person in the room until he cleared his throat. I met his eyes in the mirror. "Oh. Hello."

Charlie's head leaned a bit to the side as he regarded me cautiously. "You seem surprised to see me."

"I am. After our words yesterday evening I assumed you wouldn't come."

"You're getting married. Personal feelings aside, of course I'm here. Besides, it would be wholly unfair for Kenzie to serve as best man twice." I swiveled around in the chair to face him and he handed off one of the glass tumblers he was holding. He clinked his glass with mine and we both took a sip of the gold-colored liquid while maintaining eye contact, the trust between us wavering. "Alright, Maxwell. Explain it to me."

I ran my hand over my eyebrows in frustration. I didn't want to get into it again. "I don't understand why you are still assuming there is some secretive underlying reason. I love her, Charles. There's nothing else to explain."

"Fine, you love her. But why the rush to marry? You only became divorced two weeks ago, why are you so adamant -- "

"Because I love her, I love her, I love her!" I yelled, though it seemingly unfazed him. "I don't need to have any other explanation because there is no other explanation. I have endured nothing but heartache for the entirety of my existence and she takes my pain away. She needs to be loved safely and unconditionally and I need her. I shouldn't have to explain this over and over to you; you of all people should be happy for me. Please, mate. Just be happy for me."

I watched him try to fully navigate through my words and I could see he still didn't quite understand. I prepared myself for another brash speech yet all he said was, "Give me the ring."

I pulled it from my pocket and handed it over. He opened the box for a quick look before shutting it and placing it in his own. "What needs to be done?"

I exhaled. Nothing did, other than "Could you possibly reign McKenzie in? He's going a bit overboard in excitement and I want to keep things as simple as possible. Tell him no swans."

"Christ, again? Him and the bloody birds, you'd think being bitten the last time he would have learned his lesson." I chuckled and stood, both of us draining our glasses. He stopped me before I could walk out to envelop me in an embrace that took me by surprise. "I apologize, and I won't bring it up again. If you love her, I love her."

"Thank you." I held him tightly before letting him go, making my way out to the front of the house. The flurry of activity which quickly filled the space was a bit overwhelming. Caterers, decorators shifting furniture and hanging flowers between the spaces of the arch in the backyard that had been constructed in a blur.

The only hitch was Sydney's family was absent, and to be completely honest it was an oversight on my part; as I didn't invite anyone from my biological family I reached out to her parents last minute with no response back. I promised her we could have another wedding in Connecticut, I'd have given her ten weddings if she wanted. I walked out the patio door to catch my breath. Sydney is impulsive and easily excitable, traits of hers I adored but I truly hoped she wouldn't regret her decision.

It seemed as efficiently as preparations had begun was as quickly time had passed and I found myself standing underneath the white lattice arch illuminated by lights and candles in the surprisingly tepid evening air. Charlie stood to my right, Kenzie opposite us on the bride's side. Playing part of the officiant Samantha was between us dressed in some sort of sexy priest-like Halloween costume: something Kenzie tried unsuccessfully to get her to change out of but I didn't mind at the least, it added a bit of lightheartedness to the whole thing. Poppy-Jaqueline was taking her role as flower girl quite seriously, placing each individual petal out of the basket and onto the ground as she made her way to us dressed as Princess Poppy from Trolls, pink hair and all. As we waited patiently for her to finish her task my thoughts drifted to my previous wedding day and how vastly different it was.

My wedding to Simone had taken only three weeks but over two million dollars to plan. It had to be an opulent, grandstanding ceremony with over five hundred people in attendance, only a handful of whom I was acquainted. Everything had to be the best, the brightest, the costliest - because it was to be broadcast on every news network and bridal magazine in Europe. I couldn't count how many times I suggested we scale back, or even elope. I'm more of a quiet sort and I detested being the center of attention, but as always Simone ignored my pleas.

"Honestly Maxwell, you're being so self-involved. No one will even notice you once they see my gown. Besides, you'll only get married once and I want it to be a grand affair. Are you really going to deny me the wedding of my dreams?"

Of course I didn't. The blessed day arrived and I was too terrified to leave my dressing room. The only things that helped were Charlie refilling my whiskey tumbler several times over and Kenzie half-joking about escaping on the back of his motorcycle. I considered it, but I'd already made the commitment and needed to uphold my duty. I never told them the reason why. When Simone began walking down the aisle of the opulent church in her blinding white, custom-made Vera Wang wedding gown that cost more than some moderate houses I knew it was a mistake, one that took another three years to correct. Not that it mattered anymore, other than the hope that Sydney never felt as such toward me.

Melodic tones began to play through the outdoor speakers, a song I recognized as the softer cover of an Oasis tune that was one of her favorites. The emotion that bloomed within me when Sydney emerged through the doors was one I'd never experienced before. It was a mixture of unfamiliar serenity and trembling awe of the woman a mere twelve feet away from me.

She was beautiful.

The vividly blue gown she'd purchased earlier in the day fit her curvaceous form like a dream. Her hair was gathered on top of her head in a simple bun, her fringe swept to the side and held back with an orange flower. She wore no makeup or jewelry save for the ring that marked our absurdly brief engagement, her natural beauty shining as brightly as the purity of her being. She was elegantly simple in dress and demeanor.

She also wore no shoes.

She looked up at the brightly lit space, turning around once to take everything in. When she faced us again her eyes locked with mine and her feet picked up the pace, pausing when she was a mere few feet away, as if she wasn't sure it was real or a dream. I could relate to the feeling. She crooked her head to the side much like I had the first time I truly saw her for what she was. The love of my life. The only one I was put on this earth for. The other half of my soul.

I almost worried she wasn't pleased with the end result until she smiled so naturally - so breathtakingly brilliant - and sprinted the rest of the way down the aisle. I lifted her off the ground the moment she entered my space and she kissed me with the entirety of the love I knew she had for me.

"Uh," Sammy paused behind us. "You may now kiss the bride?"

The harmonizing whoops and cheers surrounding us barely registered as we smiled against each other's lips. I was hers, and she was finally mine.

***

III. Jon Lends a Hand.

"Never have I ever...had intercourse in a public place."

Everyone except for myself took long drinks of their lagers, conspicuously staring at each other as they set their glasses on the outdoor table we were all sitting around. Charlie went first, drumming his fingers on the arm of his chair. "Ah...football field."

"Hey, so did I," Kenzie responded with a smirk and kicked his feet up on the loveseat occupied by him and his wife.

"Me too!" Sydney interjected with a squeal, causing the rest of us to laugh with her. After the world's shortest ceremony, the flower girl was put to bed and out came the alcohol. We were having a lovely time with what started off as a friendly drinking game quickly devolving into admissions of filthy secrets. In the span of two hours I think I'd learned more about my mates' sexual proclivities than I'd ever cared to, but we were all relaxed. With the exception of Kenzie we were all pretty pissed to boot, too. "Okay, my turn! Never have I ever been arrested."

"Ah, shit." I was the only one to make a move to pick up one of the shots of Don Julio in the middle of the table, downing it and immediately popping a slice of lime in my mouth. Sydney looked shocked while my brothers eagerly awaited the tale I had no choice but to explain. "It's not...I sort of -- "

"He hit a constable," Charlie helpfully offered up. "Slugged him good in the face, too."

"Which was entirely your fault," I responded louder than I meant to, waving my hands innocently. "I didn't know it was an officer when I did it. That one over there got me properly wrecked and dared me to strike the next man to walk through the pub. I very well couldn't back down from a challenge."

"Oh no, don't blame me. I tried to stop you -- "

"By feeding me another drink and then leaving me in custody the rest of the night. You're a right bastard."

"Oh my God, what did I marry into?" My wife inquired jovially as I tickled the inside of her thigh, causing her to squirm around in my lap and doing nothing to ease my desire for her.

"A mess. You married into a whole hell of a mess," Sam responded, running her own hands through Kenzie's hair as he rested his head on her legs. "The three of them are the biggest fuckin' children and need to be supervised all the times. If it's not getting arrested it's doing porn -- "

"It was one smut magazine at Uni and I did it for the art!" Kenzie defended lamely. The art, sure. More like fifty quid and a case of beer.

"Or it's that one getting locked out of his house naked at 3 a.m. on a Tuesday." Charlie's face turned bright red and he tried to hide behind his glass. "Seriously Syd, are you sure you know what you're doing? There are no secrets in this group."

"Well, that's not totally true. There's at least one." Sydney looked at Kenzie, and he looked back at her. Through the haze of the alcohol it took us a long minute to interpret what they were in cahoots over. Charlie figured it out first, grabbing my bicep to steady himself. "She knows. Maxie! The coffee, she knows!"

"No..." My beautiful bride tucked her lips between her teeth and said nothing. "No! What the entire fuck, Sinclair! I've known you for almost three decades and you tell her after knowing her little more than a fortnight?!"

"You wankers aren't to be trusted!" He declared when Samantha pushed him off her lap and glared at him. He pointed at Charlie and me. "I'll tell you what. I'll spill the coffee beans when you tell me what happened in Rio third year."

Charles looked up thoughtfully with a sly grin. "No no, we can't tell you that. Or rather, I'll tell you when you divulge what happened when you two came back from the Philippines 36 hours into your holiday."

"Nah, mate. That is between us, the prostitute, the white tiger and the small Filipino boy," I denied. "Maybe...when the statute of limitations runs out, there may still be an outstanding warrant for our arrests."

"...what the fuck did I marry into?!" Sydney shrieked next to us.

My sister shared the same sentiment. "You know, I always thought Kenz was the irresponsible one but the common dude in all these stories seems to be Maxie. You may have married down, Sydney."

"Nah. Felony streak and all he's still pretty perfect." I grabbed her by the back of the head and kissed her properly while the three of them booed our display of affection. She pulled back enough to touch her forehead to mine, a familiar look in her eyes as she whispered, "Take me home?"

"Gladly." We stood as the others did, giving warm embraces and our heartiest of thanks, making tentative plans for brunch the next day depending on our inevitable hangovers. We'd only been in the limo approximately twelve seconds when I began seeking out her skin underneath her dress while she drunkenly tried to push me away. "What's under here? I must see!" I teased while riffling through layers of fabric. I pushed up the skirt just enough to see the gorgeous stretch marks across the outsides of her thighs. I loved them, I loved every inch of her. "Hellooo my beauties! Come, let's give you a kiss."

Swig
Swig
432 Followers