After The Dust Had Settled

Story Info
Young musician finds love and redempton.
54.3k words
4.84
128.3k
132
30
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MoogPlayer
MoogPlayer
1,932 Followers

My name is Mark Thompson and I was born and raised in a small town a few miles southeast of Houston, Texas. My parents, Michael and Kerrie Thompson, were both professionals that commuted back and forth into Houston every day. They were both attorneys, but my father however, was a federal judge. My mother had no political ambitions therefore; she chose to be her own boss and became the head of one of the most powerful law firms in the state of Texas.

I grew up an only child and believe me; it really sucks. I didn't have any brothers or sisters to play with while I was growing up. But my parents really loved me because, before I was born; they were told that they would never be able to have any children whatsoever so, I guess that's why they lavished all their attention on me. They loved me very much and always taught me to respect others and not to ever let my wants and needs supercede those who were less fortunate. All in all, they are both good people as well as great parents who taught me to trust in myself and that's why I'm where I am now, but let me back up a bit

When I was five years old, my mother sat me behind a piano and I was given lessons until I turned fourteen. By then I was playing at the same level as any teacher in the area, only I was better than all of them. Once I reached high school, I stayed focused until I graduated. However, that was during the seventies and electronic musical instruments were beginning to appear with groups like Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer as well as Electric Light Orchestra and Kansas. The keyboards back during that time were as complicated to use as they were expensive. But I showed a real aptitude for it, as my father said, and he proceeded to purchase for me, the same instruments used by the afore mentioned groups. I learned how to use them in no time, and within less than two months of having them; I could play as well as many of the keyboardists I'd heard in those bands or on the radio.

As a sort of "buffer" as he called it, Dad had me put under marital arts instruction from the time I was seven. "This will help you concentrate on your music better, son. Plus, you'll stay strong and in good shape for the rest of your life," he would say. I believed him, because as in music; I seemed to excel at it with the same intensity and at the same pace. I wanted to make my Sensei (Teacher) proud of me so, like with the piano, I worked hard until I had it perfected, and became a Second Dan (degree) Black Belt when I turned seventeen. My parents saw to it that I had a rounded education before I went to college.

In high school I was my band director's star pupil, and because of the numerous awards I'd received in the four years I was there, I was offered a scholarship, the Master's program, from what was then North Texas State University, one of the top three music universities in the country. The other two were, of course, Julliard in New York City, and then Berkeley School of Music in California. I wanted to be near home so, without question, I chose North Texas. However, before I left for college, and as a graduation present, my father took me to London, England to see my mentor and all time favorite keyboard player, Rick Wakeman, perform "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" with the London Philharmonic Orchestra and the London Chamber Choir in the Royal Albert Hall. We were only there for five days but it was glorious time, none the less.

********************

As soon as I arrived on campus that fall, I realized that college was going to be like nothing I'd ever known before. I never really had much of a social life in high school except for the occasional dates, set up by my parents, with the daughters of some of their business associates. These girls had been alright in looks, I guess. But it was plain to see that they disliked being in the situation as much as I did. So, the few dates I had never went anywhere or amounted to anything. Needless to say, I went to college a virgin, but that was all about go to hell in a hand-basket. I just didn't know it yet.

I brought all of my keyboards to college with me as well as the modules it took to make them work as well as the appropriate amplifiers etc. I checked in and was given my dormitory assignment at Townsend Hall. I was shocked to find out that, not only was it a coed dorm, but I also discovered that I would have a dorm room all to myself. I didn't realize until later, that these were part of the "provisions" that my father had negotiated with the university as part of my scholarship. I smiled and immediately began to unpack and set my gear up. I knew I was going to like being here and I couldn't wait to get started on my education. It didn't take me long to get my clothes unpacked, put in the dresser and hung in the closet.

What I worried about more than my clothes and supplies was my musical gear. I had plenty of room in my dorm for my gear so I set it all up against the far wall of my room and hooked everything up and plugged in my amps. Thinking that I would not be heard, I began to play. It was really cool being able to play stuff like Chopin, Beethoven, Bach and Rachmaninov, with all of it done through musical synthesis. I was just getting ready to begin playing some more when I heard a soft knock on my door.

"Come on in," I said loudly, to whoever was on the other side. As the door opened, I was stunned by the beautiful creature that entered my room. She stood about 5'6" and I would guess that she probably weighed no more than 115, maybe 120 pounds. Her body measurements were proportionate to her height and she had long dark brown hair that flowed to the middle of her thighs. My God, she was beautiful! "Can I help you?" I asked, trying to be polite.

Her sparkling blue eyes lit up her beautiful face as she replied, "Hi! I'm Andrea Matthews, but my friends call me Andie, and I live across the hall from you!"

"Hi Andie, my name is Mark Thompson. It's nice to meet you," I replied grinning.

Wasting no time in getting to the point of her visit, Andrea smiled and said, "I heard the most beautiful music being played a few minutes ago, and I just had to find out where it was coming from. I hope you don't mind!"

"I don't mind at all. Would you like to come in and sit down for a while?" I asked smiling.

"If you're sure it's okay," she replied, looking around the room uneasily.

"It's no problem at all. Come on in and sit here," I said, pulling a chair away from my desk and offering it to her. She came into my room and sat down in the chair I'd pulled out for her.

As she took a seat, she looked over at the synthesis modules stacked on top of one another with different colored patch cords connecting each of them, looking like a sort of psychedelic spaghetti. Then she smiled and asked, "What is that thing?"

"It's called a modular synthesizer" I replied excitedly.

"What are those two little ones with all the knobs and switches called?" she asked, pointing to the two synthesizers I had stacked, one atop the other.

"Those two are called Mini Moogs™! Would you like to hear what they sound like?" I asked.

"Oh, Yes!" she replied, grinning from ear-to-ear.

I began to play a piece that, not only was one of my favorites, but was from Rick Wakeman's, The Six Wives of Henry VIII", album. As I played, the music began to strike a chord deep within me, and before I knew it, I had played nearly half the album. I stopped playing; realizing that I'd got a little carried away, and then looked at her and said, "I'm sorry; I didn't mean to bore you with this stuff.

Boy was I wrong about her being bored. The moment I began to apologize to Andie, she got up and walked over to where I stood, and wrapping her arms around my neck, she kissed me on the cheek and said, "I think it was beautiful, Mark. And, you can play for me anytime, handsome." Then she looked at her watch and said, "I was going to go get something to eat. Would you like to come?"

Sure!" I said excitedly, "Where are we going?"

Andie giggled and said, "I thought that we could go to the cafeteria, if that's alright with you?"

"I've got a better idea," I replied winking.

"What do you mean?" she asked suspiciously.

"Do you like Italian food?"

"God yes, I love it,"

"I passed a restaurant called Giuseppe's on the way here. It looked pretty promising and it's not too far from campus. Would you like to have lunch there? It's my treat," I said.

Andie shifted uneasily beside me and said, "I couldn't let you do that, because we just met and I'm not really......"

"Look Andie, I'm not trying to do anything other than thank you for your praising my music when everyone else criticized my style of music, which, by the way, is called progressive rock. Besides, I don't know anyone here and I want to take my new friend out for a bite of lunch, okay?" I said, interrupting her protests.

Her sudden apprehension turned to delight when a warm smile appeared on her face. "Well....since you put it like that, I guess it would be rather rude of me to decline now, wouldn't it?"

"Yeah, it would." I said grinning, "Come on, I'll drive us!"

*********************

After we had been seated at the restaurant, Andie smiled and asked, "This is your freshman year, yes?"

"Is it that obvious?"

Reaching across the table and placing her hand on mine, Andie smiled and replied, "That's not a bad thing, ya know. It's just that I was curious because I've never seen you around here before."

"What year are you?"

"This is my sophomore year" she proudly replied, "I'm on scholarship, the Master's program!"

"That's cool, I am too!" I excitedly replied.

"So you're the new star on the horizon, huh?" she asked slyly, grinning like a Possum. (I know its spelled "Opossum" but down here in Texas, we call em Possums so, deal with it!)

"What do mean?" I asked my curiosity piqued.

"Why do you think we are the only ones in Townsend Hall who have private rooms?" she replied, grinning slyly, "Besides, Doctor Breeden, the head of the music department, told us you were coming!"

"He's a nice guy!"

"He also told us that you would be playing with me...uh...I mean us in the One O'clock Jazz Band," Andie said, her beautiful eyes now dancing like flames in the wind.

I had no idea what she was talking about so I just said, "Oh really, that's cool, I guess!"

"You have no idea what I'm talking about, do you?" she asked smiling.

I shook my head, and laughing, replied, "I guess that also shows, doesn't it? Okay, I'll bite. What is the One O'clock Jazz Band?"

Andie took my hand and held it in hers, and smiling sweetly, said, "You are about to become member of a group of people who are not only the best musicians on campus, but are the best musicians in the state. We play at places all over the country and are known world wide. So, let me be the first one to say, welcome to the band," and then she stood and leaned across the table and kissed me gently but briefly on the lips then, sat back down smiling brightly.

"Wow! That was nice," I replied blushing from head to toe.

She took my hand again and quietly asked, "That was you first kiss, wasn't it?" By this time I was in a state of total embarrassment, but Andie softly added, "Aw Sweetie, don't be embarrassed. I won't tell a soul as long as I can have more kisses."

"But you're beautiful and you can have any guy you want so, why me? I'm not handsome like most of the guys who go to college here," I blurted out, not knowing exactly where that came from.

Andie released my hand and then abruptly sat back in her chair and harshly asked, "Are you trying to tell me I have bad taste in men?" and before I could reply, she added, "Let me tell you something, Mark. I happen to think you're very handsome and that's all that matters to me. I don't care what anyone else thinks either, you got that?" I began to laugh, making her ask, "What?"

I smiled, "Has anyone ever told you that you're even more beautiful when you're mad?"

She began giggling delightfully and said, "Oh, you, has anyone ever told you that you're a silly boy?"

"Not lately," I replied, "Let's talk about that after we're done eating!"

The waitress had just finished taking our order when, two girls, both also absolutely stunning, walked into the restaurant. Andie waved at them, beckoning them to our table. One had shoulder length blonde hair while the other had short black hair and as they approached, Andie smiled and said, "You're about to meet two of the finest flutists in the country. They're in the One O'clock Jazz Band too!"

As soon as they were at our table, the blonde smiled and said, "Hi Andie! Who's this? Is he a new boyfriend? He sure is cute!"

Girlish giggles erupted all around and before I could respond, Andie took my hand, and nodding toward the girls, replied, "Mark Thompson, I'd like you to meet two of my best friends in the whole world. The ditzy blonde here is Becky Davidson and the quiet brunette is Marsha Hill!"

"I'm not quiet. I just can't seem to get a word in edgewise with you two around," said Marsha.

This time it was me who burst out laughing before Becky smiled and said, "Don't laugh at her, Mark. It only makes her worse!" At Andie's suggestion, the other two girls joined us for lunch and were seated at our table, but not before Andie moved around the table to sit next to me. Not missing the chance to tease her friend, Becky elbowed Marsha and said, "My, my, she sure is possessive these days isn't she, Marsha?"

"She sure is. I've never seen her this worked up over a guy before," teased Marsha.

Andie took it all in stride and said, "Do you guys remember what Doctor Breeden said last semester about the prodigy that would be joining our ranks this year?" Then taking my hand, she added, "Well...here he is!"

"Oh wow, I've heard some pretty amazing things about you," said Becky, with Marsha nodding in agreement.

"I don't know about that," I humbly replied, not being able to remember a time when I was more embarrassed.

Marsha spoke up and said, "Well, I do. I've heard that you're some kind of mad genius in electronic music!"

I began to laugh, but before I could reply, Andie excitedly said, "I got to hear him play. He lives right across the hall from me and you should see his synthesizers. It's so cool!"

"Will you play for us, too, Mark?" asked Becky.

I looked at Andie, who nodded her head in agreement, and said, "Sure, why not?" About that time, the waitress came back to our table and took Marsha's and Becky's orders and when I asked her to put it all on one bill, all three girls protested, but to no avail. After we finished, they made sure to thank me with hugs and kisses on the cheek, except for Andie. She kissed me right on the lips, leaving me with a feeling that was beginning to arise within me, a feeling I'd never experienced before.

*********************

As we drove back to the dorm, Andie scooted over to sit next to me on the bench seat of my truck and said, "I hope you don't mind me sitting here like this. I just can't help it, Mark.....Oh....and thanks for lunch. That was very sweet of you!"

"That's fine with me, and you're very welcome, Andie," I replied smiling.

We got back to our dorm with Becky and Marsha in tow, all three girls found comfortable seats in my room. After a barrage of questions about my keyboards, I began to play. I played some stuff by Emerson Lake and Palmer, and some stuff by Rick Wakeman, as well as some Yes. When I was done, I turned around to find all three of the girls practically drooling over what I'd just done. It wasn't long before Becky spoke up first, and looking at Andie, said, "Shit! That made me hot! No wonder you snatched him up so quick, girl!"

Andie smiled and replied, "That's right, I found him first so, leave him alone. Oh, and one more thing...." and then she rose from her seat to sit in my lap and added, "....be sure to tell the rest of these bitches around here that he's mine!"

"No problem, way to go, girl," said Marsha, and after both girls said their good-byes, they left, closing my door behind them, leaving me stunned at the conversation that had just taken place.

Andie, still seated in my lap, put her arms around my neck and laid her head on my shoulder and said, "I hope you don't mind, Mark, I know we just met, but I really like you!"

I wrapped my arms around her, and holding her closely, said, "Andie sweetie, you're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen, and I really like you too?" Thus began my first day in college. Without trying, I managed to land one of the most beautiful girls on campus and she was actually very attracted to me. I hugged Andie tightly to me and asked, "Does this make us girlfriend and boyfriend now?"

"Only if you want it to," Andie replied hopefully.

I smiled and said, "I would love to be your boyfriend, but..." and then I hung my head and added, "...there's something you need to know about me before this goes any further and I'm not real sure you're gonna like it either!"

"It can't be that bad, can it?" she sweetly asked.

While still holding her in my lap, I sighed and said, "Well, no, but it's just that, I've never had a girlfriend before and I don't know what to do or how to act. I'm sorry, Andie!"

She smiled, and after giving me another one of her tender kisses, and breathing softly into my ear, she said, "You sweet, sweet boy, I don't care about that. I'll teach you everything you need to know about how to treat a girl. Trust me, baby!"

"Okay!" I said.

Suddenly Andie rose from my lap, taking me by the hand, making me stand with her. Then she put her arms around me and pulled me as close to her as I could get. Our faces were mere inches apart and tilting her head to the side, our lips met while she rubbed her body against mine. Her kisses were like wine and before long; our tongues were doing a dance as old as time itself. We continued kissing and making out for a good twenty minutes before we parted, both of us breathing heavily. Almost out of breath, Andie grinned and said, "It seems to me that you are already off to a good start, baby." Then, out of the blue, she said, "Oh, hey, some friends of mine are playing in Dallas tonight and I want to go and show off my new boyfriend. Do you wanna go?"

"I think that sounds like fun to me. Besides; it's not everyday that a man gets to go somewhere with the most beautiful woman in the world on his arm," I replied, hugging her slightly.

"I think you and I are going to get along just fine, Mark, you handsome devil...Mmmm!" said Andie, her eyes again shining brightly. The she became serious and said, "I know we just met, Mark. But there's just something about you that I can't resist!"

I laughed and replied, "Then, don't!" We spent the rest of the afternoon together talking and just getting to know each other better until it was time to get ready to go out. Andie went to her room across the hall, leaving me to dress in mine. I showered and shaved and put on a pair of nice pants and a dress shirt. I knew it would take her longer to get ready than it would me so, I took my time.

After an hour or so, I heard a knock at my door, and replied, "Come on in!"

I only thought that Andie was beautiful until I saw her dressed up to go out. She was wearing a black mini skirt and black boots with three inch heels on the long sleek legs that came from out of it. Her hair was back and slightly up on her head but still flowed gracefully down her back and legs. She had a white silk top that made her blue eyes sparkle even more brilliantly than ever before. Andie laughed and said, "By the look on your face, I guess you like what you see, huh?"

"My God, you really are the most beautiful thing I've ever seen," I breathed, a single tear rolling slowly down my face.

MoogPlayer
MoogPlayer
1,932 Followers