An Hour Alone Ch. 03

Story Info
Into the studio and onto the bandstand.
4.1k words
4.73
4.8k
2
0

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 03/06/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Holly was drenched in sweat, her head hung down and she stood still listening to the playback over the headphones. She looked up and grinned raising a thumb to me. I grinned back and raised a thumb in response. Mike, Bobby and Mac sat looking pleased with themselves, the audio was perfect, the tune familiar and we were recording our first album.

Holly looked at the glass between us for Bob, her boyfriend. He stood and clapped although she couldn't hear him. She saw him and jumped off the stool, pulling the phones off.

We sat back in the Suite, and didn't even turn towards her as Holly burst in.

"Bobby, how was it, sounded good to me?" Only Holly could ask a question then answer it herself.

"Babe, it was brilliant, perfect. but I'd like to do another take," Bob said bluntly.

"But I'm tired, I want a break," she whined, pouting.

Bob grinned and pointed to the door.

"Go, sing, then we take a break."

"Slavedriver!"

Holly flounced out, Mac and Bobby giggling, Bob winked. In the booth, Holly snatched up the headphones and looked through the glass at us. Her finger came up in salute. We fell about, typical Holls.

"Holly Arden, Moon River, take five, cue playback. three, two, one." He pointed at Holly, she poked her tongue out and laughed.

As the cue came she moved into the song, lush, breathy, phrasing perfect, living the lyric. I felt those goosebumps.

"Shit!" said Mac, "anyone else got goosebumps?" hands went up.

Gill my sister had tears in her eyes. Naomi my wife cuddled up and held me. Our daughter had us all spellbound again. The tech with Bob, had his mouth open, jerked back to reality as Bob nudged his arm, pointing and grinning. Frank, Gills husband, sat down on the edge of the monitor desk, eyes wide. We'd all heard Holly sing this a million times, but everytime was different, real, heartfelt. She reached the last phrase and her voice quivered slightly on the last note.

"Got yer!" Yelled Bob, "Fucking perfect, what a voice. Ladies and gentlemen you have witnessed perfection."

Bob stood and clapped, we all followed. The tech switched the audio from the suite to the booth and Holly stood and clapped back. She took off the cans and walked through to the Suite,

"Now can I pee?" She asked plaintively. Bob kissed her and grinned.

"Princesses don't pee, they have someone take care of it for them."

"Well this one does and in about fifteen seconds so goodbye."

Holly shot out the door, and we heard her laugh as she sprinted away.

Bob looked at his desk and sighed,

"Don, can you and the boys set up for Girl from Ipenema, I want you to be in their with Holly to try to give it a more 'live' feel. Like we're at the club listening to your set."

The boys nodded and we went into the booth, tuned and were ready. Holly opened the door, did a double take then grinned. The tech had set up the mikes and Naomi and Gill were positioned just behind Holly. Bob told me they were rolling, Mac gave us a tap in and we sailed into it. We breezed through and Bob stood thumbs up and gestured for us to come in.

In the suite we listened and agreed that with a tweak here and there it would be a great number. It felt good and did have more of a performance feel, than the other three tracks. It was now about two thirty, we broke for lunch. There was food prepared and we fell on it. Later we noticed Frank was missing. Holly went to look, then came back and told us to follow her quietly. We walked back to the Suite. Frank was in the booth, he was at the piano playing "As Time Goes By," more than adequately, growling along with the tune. Holly put her finger to her lips and dragged me along to the booth, as she passed Bob she whispered and he nodded.

In the booth, Holly walked up to Frank, who was staring at the keyboard.

"Play As Time Goes By,"

Frank stopped and looked at her,

"I can't remember Miss Ilse, I'm a little rusty on it."

"I'll hum it for you, La da, di di, di di..." Holly had the slight catch and rasp in her voice, sounding almost like Bergman.

Frank began, and from the backing mike I sang the lyrics, Frank grinned and played it faultlessly. At the end of the first chorus, the boys, who had snuck in behind me, came in and added the fill. When the last note died away, Bob looked at me and nodded. I hi fived Frank, as he stood up.

"That my man is definitely on the album. "

Bob in the Suite was calling us in. We walked back, Holly wrapped round Frank with a glow on her face. Gill ran to Frank as Holly let go and leap into his arms. Naomi, patted my back.

"Nice growl Mr man."

"Right I think with that we have more than used our time wisely. I'm also aware you guys have a show tonight and need to rest up. I'm going to put some finishing touches to this, make a master and go see the man. See you later."

"Class dismissed," Naomi said to much laughter.

"Let's go over to the club and chillax, we could watch a bit of the opening set."

There was general agreement all round, we picked up our stuff and loaded the van we'd hired. It took us about fifty minutes to get back, set up for the evening, then grab a bite to eat, before the warm up band arrived. We shook hands and they set up in front of our kit.

"Touch my drums and you die!" Mac shouted.

They fingered him with grins and he laughed back. We watched them rehearse, they were good, obviously not as good as us, but they were good. We clapped and they bowed. Rehearsed they left to eat. We lounged around, it was unusual not to have something to do. I walked up to the piano and ran a few notes. Mike on bass started a walking blues, Mac, slid behind the drums and came in, Bobby produced a harmonica and we played. we ended with a flourish.

Suddenly picking up a mike, Frank switched us into Hootchie-Cootchie man by Muddy Walters, growling the song, no attempt to sing. We swung in behind, I climbed on my Farfisa. Holly and the girls rode shotgun on backing.

"The gypsy woman told my mother

Before I was born

You got a boy child's comin'.."

Frank swayed and rolled, pulling back on the mike stand and at the end, as we shambled to a halt, Mac shouted, "Amen Brother Frank, Amen."

"Fuck me I wish I'd recorded that," Bob said appearing at the bandstand.

Laughing we sat down and Bob updated us. The Exec he had seen had been less than enthusiastic about the concept, but when he heard us, he changed his mind. He wanted a couple of days to see what he could do, wanted to speak to the 'Man with the Money'," Bob drawled.

He gave Frank his business card, said Frank should give it a couple of days then phone. Frank nodded and slipped it in his wallet. Mac said it was the first time he'd seen Frank's wallet, was there anything in it?

"Get a round in Muddy!" he joked.

Frank grinned and rose,

"How do you know it's the drummers round?" he asked,

We looked blankly at him.

"He misses the bar and hits the road."

"Poor!" yelped Mac with a grin.

"I will be now," said Frank.

He returned with a tray spilling over with drinks. A few customers were now in and we got a few nods of recognition. We smiled and nodded. The warm up act came on at seven thirty, so we took in a couple of numbers and clapped loudly. Then we were out back and getting ready. Holly, habitually in just her knickers was flipping through the rack. We all offered suggestions, she yawned or made a face at each one.

"Go as you are," said Bobby.

"No way," said Naomi, bristling, her mother hen feathers ruffled. She was never comfortable with Holly's attitude to clothing and casual nudity.

"hmm, now there's a thought," said Holly, "I will if you will?"

"Holly Arden, you will dress properly," Naomi said, a deep red flush all over her face and chest.

"Here we go again," said Mac, standing and stripping. Naomi went purple, steam almost coming out her ears. This was topped by Frank, stripping down.

"Enough, not again, all right." Naomi glared at everyone.

Just then Bob walked in, looked around and took his shirt, shoes, socks and trousers off. Naomi stood mouth flapping, stalled, then with a loud "OHHH!" stomped off.

After we calmed, Holly and Bob chose her outfit. Gill changed and Naomi came back. She grinned, and the boys all clustered round her, apologising and hugging her.

"Hmm, well the outraged mother act was worth it for the hugs, thanks guys," she said with a twinkle in her eyes. I slipped my arms between hers, hugging her from behind.

"Loose woman," I whispered in her ear. She giggled and I saw the goosebumps on her neck. I blew gently on her ear.

"Stop, I'm getting goosbumpy, ohh." Looking down over her shoulder, I saw the two tiny bumps on her blouse.

"Enough Mr Williams, time to get ready," she pushed away and flapped a hand at me.

I grinned and checked my stage outfit. Exactly the same as my street clothes, OK, good to go. After a discussion with the boys, along the lines of, why don't we wear some matching stuff on stage like the girls? I bowed to the inevitable and gave that up as a bad job. So we continued to look like a bunch of old farts dressed by a Salvation Army outlet store. Mac called it shabby chic, I called it our vagrant look.

"Ten Minutes guys," came from Steve, nominally the stage manager at the club.

"Be with you in five," I shouted out of habit. The others patently ignored my call. Mac still had a large portion of a pint to finish. Bobby was still cleaning his trumpet and oblivious to Steve's call. The girls were huddled together, examining something on Holly's dress. Frank, was reading. wait where was Mike?

"Err anyone seen Mike?" I asked.

Everyone stopped looked around, checked the sofa's and looked at each other. They all looked at me, I sighed.

"why is it always me?"

"Because we're the Don Williams Band?"

"Daddy, because you are so brave and strong," Holly whispered in her little girl voice. I saw Naomi smirking and Gill push a hand to her mouth.

"Bollocks!" I strode out the room to much laughter.

I checked backstage, sometimes we feel the need to wander up there on our own, just settling a few nerves. No sign of Mike, strange, I wandered back, then thought to check the toilets, just in case. I went in, no sign by the urinals. I went further in, we have three stalls. One door was shut with the engaged sign on it.

"Mike?" I asked tentatively

"Urghhh," I heard the groan behind the door.

"Mike it's me, are you OK?"

"Don, not well, feel awful, pains in my guts, blood..."

I could hear the laboured breathing. I went up to the door,

"Mike, I'm going to get help, we'll get you out and sorted as soon as possible, stay strong buddy."

"Don, can't stay awake, so much pain, help me."

"Hold on Mike, I'll be back."

I ran out and into the band room, smashing the door open. They all looked at me surprised.

"Mike's ill, like seriously ill in the toilet, we need an ambulance now! And I need to get him out of the toilet, or at least the door open so we can help him."

Franks phone was out open and he had dialed before I'd finished. He asked for an ambulance, they wanted information he threw his phone at me. Holly was out the door followed by Naomi and Gill, Mac gulped his pint then went. Bobby put his horn down in its case carefully, then casually went to investigate. I gave them details of Mikes condition and what I'd managed to gather from our brief conversation.

Meanwhile Holly was in the Gents, scaling the wall of the stall from the one next to Mike. Dropping down she released the bolt and opened the door. She Gill and Naomi, began an assessment of Mike. They decided he needed to stay where he was for now. He sat on the toilet, trousers and pants round his ankles, whilst the girls wiped his brow and organised a drink of cold water. Holly kept talking to Mike, keeping him conscious.

Ten minutes later, two paramedics with huge bags and a folding stretcher came in. Steve the Manager, touched my sleeve and said the guys in the other band said they'd carry on their set for now, to give us time to organise. I thanked him and asked him to thank them. Meanwhile Mike was now laid out on the stretcher as the paramedics phoned in to advise the hospital of their imminent arrival. Frank, as usual, Mr Marvel, said he'd go in the ambulance and keep us updated.

With no Mike we needed to look at how we played tonight. Not that we were any to happy to go on without him. Holly was on one knee by Mike whispering to him and listening to his feeble voice. She squeezed his hand and kissed him. Bob had arrived and was shocked at the scene. Frank, who else, got him a seat and a glass of water. Finally the paramedics had Mike airborne on the stretcher and with Frank following left for the ambulance and hospital. Gill clasped Frank's hand as he passed, he paused to kiss her, then walked quickly to catch up with the paramedics.

Holly looked us all in the eye.

"He wants us to go on and do the sets this evening. Let's not let him down!"

Holly's gaze was flint hard and we all nodded. A quick discussion and Gill and Naomi said they could handle Mike's bass parts between them, but neither felt able to do any lead guitar work. Bob then surprised everyone by saying he played a little and would wing it for tonight if we agreed. We all looked at each other and mumbled a collective stuttered OK!

Holly pulled the girls into a hug and everyone joined them, heads down in the centre, Holly spoke.

"Tonight will be new and strange and not right. But tonight we go on and we give the best damn show we can and we make Mike proud of us. Mike!" she said.

"MIKE!" we shouted as one. Then broke away to have amoment alone.

We heard the band onstage finish a number then offer their goodnights. They got a great round of applause and the announcer asked the audience to welcome Holly Arden, The Ardenaires and the Don Williams Band onstage. As we moved forward the band came off, There were lots of hugs and kisses, back slaps and handshakes, before we rambled on stage.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, before we begin this evening I have an announcement. Mike our bassist and lead guitarist has been taken ill and is currently en-route to hospital. Whilst this will affect our performance slightly, we hope you still enjoy the experience. So tonight we are Naomi and Gill, the Ardenaires who will also be our guest bassists, Don Williams Piano, organ and the daddy of the band. The incomparable Mac the Whack on drums. The ever lovely Bobby on Horns and finally and by no means least, my current squeeze and plankspanker extraordinaire Fretless Bob Bramwell. I'm Holly and I want to sing for you."

We swung into Try, ragged but rowdy, and built on that. The Ardenaires swapped Bass riffs and chugged through the numbers. It wasn't faultless, but the crowd loved us. As for Bob Bramwell. The guy could play, no doubt about that. Bobby's horns were so sweet that night. Mac tight and pounding, loose and rolling really lead the line. I ran around them with the piano and Farfisa. All to soon the first set was over and we went off to loud applause.

Backstage Gill phoned Frank as soon as we got in the room, she ah hahed and Uh Huhed, nodded and yessed quite a bit. Then she put the phone down.

"Mike's OK, he's got a bleeding ulcer. Going to be in for a while, a few days, a week, not sure yet. They opened him and cauterised it, but he's lost a lot of blood and will be in bed for a while. First thing he asked when he came round was what was the setlist."

Gill suddenly broke down and Naomi and Holly hugged her. Mac whistled in relief and Bobby polished his horn. Bob sat down and put his head in his hands, I sat down and put an arm round his shoulder.

"You OK Bob?"

"Shit scared, how do you guys go out each night and do that stuff, you're awesome."

"No we love to show off and perform. It's in us deep inside and this is our outlet, otherwise we'd be out mugging old ladies and kicking teenagers."

He grinned, and sat back as Naomi plonked herself in his lap.

"You OK Bob, you're a great player, welcome to the band."

She kissed his lips gently, his eyes widening, I saw the twinkle in her eyes. She bounced off to be replaced by Gill, who kissed him in the same way as well. Suddenly Little Miss Arden was all over him like a rash, her lips devouring his and more besides I suspect. Suffice to say he was beetroot red now and clearly flustered as Holly leapt off his lap. He crouched forward, I twigged as did Mac and Bobby. We rolled about, much to his embarrassment, as the girls linked arms and bowed.

"Fuck!" he managed, as Holly threw her clothes off and walked up and down the clothes rail selecting her next outfit.

She chose a silk forties style all in one trouser suit, buttoned at the neck and down the front, a sailor style blue and white stripe, with the trousers full and free flowing in plain white. A chic sailor hat and she was ready. Naomi and Gill stripped and chose matching hot pants and white blouses, loosely tied at the waist. I goggled where had these come from.

"An idea," Mac said as he slipped an arm round Holly's waist.

"Fancy trying out Willie and the Poor Boys tonight, we've rehearsed it, but never used it?"

"Good one, Mum, Gill, Willie and the Poor boys, up for it?"

"Sure,"

"Good call."

"Bobby?"

"Yeah I can blag my way through that. Hey Fingers can you play that?"

He turned grinning to Bob, who was still sat down on the sofa. He grinned weakly.

"I can try."

"Awww, he can try," said Mac, "But he can't even stand up at the moment." Mac waggled his little finger. Holly slapped his arm, we all laughed.

We talked though the rest of the set, a quick reshuffle, a few dropped numbers, a few moved up or down the setlist. We could do this. We felt more confident.

"May I make a request?" Bob asked.

"No!" we replied as one, then fell about. Bob grinned and nodded, then stood up. We clapped and cheered, Holly slipped her arms round him and bear hugged the life out of him.

"Five minutes,"

"Thanks Steve, on our way."

We wandered out and arrived onstage to the announcers welcome. Mac tapped us in to Willie and the Poor Boys,

Early in the evenin' just about supper time,

Over by the courthouse they're starting to unwind.

Four kids on the corner trying to bring you up.

Willy picks a tune out and he blows it on the harp.

Bob sang, he'd asked Holly, who readily agreed, joining the girls on back up vocals. We all hit the chorus,

Down on the corner, out in the street,

Willy and the poorboys are playin';

Bring a nickel; tap your feet.

Naomi and Gill double tapped the basses, it was awesome, Bob chipped in a few gentle chords and Mac kept up the beat. Bobby left his horns and worked percussion. I wrang the life out of a tambourine. Crowd pleaser apparently, a little dancing, a lot of clapping, a few whoops and hollers. Massive applause at the end. We moved on, more bluesy numbers, then ballads, standards, easy on the ear. by one thirty we were still full, and moving to the last two songs. I spotted Frank moving across the room. He sat at a vacant table and gave me a thumbs up. I nodded. The others must have seen him as the set seemed a lot brighter than before.

We finished as usual on Moon River, Holly just blasting everyone away with the voice. Not a sound, then thunderous applause. She nodded, and Frank gave her a million watt smile and two thumbs up.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, those of you at our previous show will know that Mike our guitarist was taken ill before that set. I am pleased to see uncle Frank in the audience giving me a beautiful beaming smile and the thumbs up. Uncle Frank come on stage and tell us how Mikey is."

Frank barreled onstage, swept Holly up in a bear hug and released her for the mike.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Mike our guitarist went under the knife three hours ago for emergency surgery to repair a bleeding ulcer. The operation was a success, Mike is out of danger. He's in Intensive Care, but the signs are good. Hopefully Mike will be back on stage with us in a month or two. Meanwhile, please a big hand for the beautiful incomparable star that is Holly Arden, Naomi and Gill the Ardenaires, Don Williams, Mac, Bobby and Bob. From what I heard these guys can play. Am I right?"

12