An Hour Alone Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I checked with a few notes, it was perfectly in tune, I ran my fingers over the keys and played a little jazz number I liked. A ripple of applause, sarcastic buggers. I went into Peggy Lee's Fever and heard a gruff but serviceable voice roll out the lyrics, not Holly but good, looking out I saw Trudy singing. Well, well, Marlah was swaying to the lyric. Zoe got up and pulled Marlah onto the floor clear of the table. Slowly a few others, got up. I clapped Trudy and went into a waltz, couples formed, I slid into a foxtrot, just vamping the tune. Suddenly Bobby was there with a horn, quiet, but present. Mac and Mike came in with guitars, how had they brought those with them? Holly joined us and I swung into New York, New York. Dancing continued, the waiters and some of the kitchen staff appearing to watch.

Naomi found a waiter about our age and pulled him onto the floor, he grinned and danced with her. A waiter approached Annis and gestured to her that he wanted to dance pointing also at Chloe and his friend. Annis nodded and she and Chloe began to dance with the guys. Mac Junior and Peter approached a couple of the girls from the kitchen and got them onto the floor. Holly tiptoed over the lyrics and we let it flow. What happened I can't say but it was soon half eleven. the youngsters all thoughts of going out vanished, were taking turns to dance with each other and Marlah and Trudy. Frank took over from me and I danced with Naomi. Then Zoe, Sara, Linsey. At the piano Naomi and Gill, with Trudy and Annis were grooving through The Girl from Ipenema, so I grabbed Holly.

"Dad, this is great, I'm so happy. Bobby's over the moon about being a Dad. Mum was so supportive, I really misjudged her on that. So, Grandad, how you doin'?"

"I am the happiest man in the world sweetheart. Look at us, all of us, this is living huh?"

"Perfect Daddy, I love you being my Daddy, you and Mum are perfect together."

"I just wish I'd known sooner, but what the hell, I got you now, well for a brief while, then you'll be Bob's and he'll be yours."

"I will still love you Dad, more than ever. Meeting you and the guys brought me to Bob. That's a debt I can never repay."

"No need, to see you smile and hear you sing, is reward enough. We all love you, always will. You Holly Arden are a miracle wrapped in soft bundle of beauty."

I kissed her gently and she grinned.

"I don't have to stay with Bobby, I can still live with you, " she winked and grinned.

I laughed and spun her round the floor. Hearing her wonderful throaty gurgling laugh. Bob was dancing with Marlah, happily talking away. I liked the boy from the moment he turned up outside the room backstage. You could see he was besotted with Holly and she with him. I saw Marlah slip something into the breast pocket of Bob's shirt. He was looking concerned, but Marlah was obviously sweet talking him. He nodded and whispered in her ear, her hands danced over his back. He kissed her and stepped away as the music stopped. I saw Marlah look at Frank and shake her head. He seemed to acknowledge her silent request because he stood up from the piano.

"Folks I think there's something Bob wants to say." He said holding his hands up palms out.

I watched Bob walk towards Holly, he stopped in front of her, then knelt. I looked on as I felt Naomi stand by me. Bob reached into his breast pocket, then said,

"Holly Arden, you are the most beautiful person I have ever seen. I worship the ground you walk on and the air you breathe. Please make my life complete by agreeing to marry me."

Holly stood tears in her eyes.

"Bobby Bramwell, I have loved you too, since you first walked into our dressing room. You make we happy, you make me laugh, you even make me cry. I would love to be your wife, so my answer is Yes. Yes I will marry you."

Bob stood and placed the ring on Holly's finger. So that was what Marlah had slipped him. Holly looked and gasped, it was a plain gold band with three diamonds in a raised array above it. Holly's eyes filled with tears.

"Marlah gave it to me, said it needed to fit on a beautiful hand, I think she's right. Although I think it's moved from one beautiful hand to another"

Bob raised her hand and kissed it. Looking round he blew a kiss at Marlah. Trudy hugged her and they touched heads. Marlah moved and began crying into Trudy's shoulder. Hands touched her back.

Naomi swung round me and buried her head in my shoulder, tears flowing. Ragged cheers rang out and Frank sat back at the piano and began to play. Everyone moved back and Bob led Holly into a dance, soon they were joined by the others. I held Naomi, held her tight. It had been a fantastically brilliant year and the outlook appeared to be getting even better.

"A song for Holly,"

Frank announced and Chloe and Annis joined him by the piano. Their voices full and rich, they sang 'Chapel of Love', Frank's piano style reduced to vamping chords around their voices. Sounded good to me. Holly blew them kisses as she emerged from Bob's damp shoulder. As they finished Mac and his boys walked up and whispered to Frank, he nodded.

"Bah!"

"Bah!"

"Bah!"

"Bah!"

"Bah!"

"Bah!"

"Bah!"

"Bah!"

"At the Hop!"

They launched into a semi a'Capella version of the old Danny and the Juniors number. Franks breakout at the turn unsurprisingly brilliant. He stood pounding the keys as the floor writhed with the crowd bopping. Bobby produced his horn again and was away.

"This is the best damn holiday I've ever had," laughed Naomi, dragging me onto the dance floor.

We went at it until the small hours, Frank or I pounding the ivories, Fifties Do Wop, Sixties golden oldies, we mixed it up. The Hotel staff were in and dancing with us and each other, everyone just letting go. Finally at three am we calmed it down. I sat at the piano. Holly sat next to me.

"Play thirty year man."

"I don't do requests,"

"For me,"

I began the tune, everyone had sat down by now, they stopped talking. I began the lyric,

"Nobody here yet

From the spotlight that will ring her not a glimmer

Not a finger on its squeaky dimmer

I play piano in a jazz quartet

That works here late with a young girl singer.."

I went on and into the chorus,

"Thirty years in the racket

A brindled crew-cut and a silk-lined jacket

And it isn't my hands that fill this place

It's a kid's voice still reaching into space

It's her they're driving down to hear

And it's my bent-over back she's standing near.."

I felt Holly's kiss on my cheek, she slid along the stool to be next to me, expertly picking out the notes, taking over from my hands. I sang the lyric until we finished.They cheered and clapped, stamped their feet.

We stood and hugged, my daughter and I.

12