An Indispensable Woman Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dani's lips came down on hers again, the younger woman's tongue pushed aggressively into Amara's mouth, and that was all it took to send Amara over the edge. Everything clenched; for a moment Amara went rigid as her orgasm locked in hard, then she dissolved into delicious spasms and contractions and moaned into Dani's mouth as the ripples and aftershocks went on and on.

Finally Amara went limp and Dani eased her fingers out of her, then cupped her sex protectively with the palm of her hand. The kissing continued, with Dani nibbling Amara's ear and the skin of her neck as Amara tried to catch her breath.

"I want to taste you," Amara whispered, close to Dani's ear. "I NEED to taste you."

"Bathroom," Dani replied, sliding out of bed and switching on the nightstand light. Amara followed her into the bathroom, feeling the sticky wetness on her thighs and her sopping wet panties with every step.

Amara's lips found Dani's as soon as the bathroom door closed, and the kiss was urgent. Her need for Dani was as much emotional now as it was sexual; even though her own lust had been satisfied, Amara wanted to reciprocate, to fulfill the unspoken contract between them. To provide pleasure in equal measure to what she had received.

In moments Dani was seated awkwardly on the counter next to the sink, legs wide, night shirt pushed up above her navel, and Amara's mouth was between the younger woman's legs. For the second time that day, Amara was in Heaven. The taste and scent of her lover's arousal, the enticing sound of her gasps and moans, the feel of Dani's fingers in her hair; she loved it all, and lost herself in the communion between them.

And when Dani groaned and trembled, when her muscles tightened in orgasm and she pulled Amara's mouth hard against her clitoris, Amara felt pleasure too, of a different sort. Fulfillment, tenderness; a deep, intimate, indescribable connection.

It was love.

Amara loved Dani.

It was a sudden realization, but somehow not a shocking one. It didn't feel like a revelation; more like a confirmation of what she'd already known.

And later, as she spooned the younger woman in bed, enjoying the warmth of her body pressed against her, Amara wondered whether she was strong enough to meet the obligations of that love.

**

"I'm impressed. I never would have guessed you could use chopsticks," Amara said.

"I dated a Korean girl when I was a teenager."

Amara, Dani and Anne were in a Japanese restaurant near the convention hall. Amara has finished her first day of sessions then zipped over to the hotel room to shower and change. Dani and Anne had met her there and they'd all gone to the restaurant together. Anne had never sampled Japanese, and Amara figured this was a good opportunity to expand her baby's horizons a little. And with a little luck, she would expand her own as well.

Dani was deftly plucking pieces of beef from the serving bowl and putting them on Anne's plate where the little girl could get at them with a fork, or, when her patience failed, her fingers. Anne enjoyed the rice, beef and vegetables, but so far wouldn't have anything to do with the shrimp or fish. Dani, in contrast, could eat anything.

"Must have been a learning experience," Amara said, dragging her wild salmon sushi through a puddle of soy sauce then savouring the taste.

"Yeah, in more ways than one."

"Oh?"

Dani winked, then nodded in Anne's direction. "Not a story for little ears."

"Now I really want to hear it."

"Heh. I bet you do." Dani took another mouthful of her stir fry. The conversation lapsed for a few minutes but Amara didn't mind. Dani wasn't a talker but was always happy to engage whenever Amara wanted to chat.

"Any problems finding your way around today?" Amara asked.

"Not really. The city's pretty easy to get around in. We spent most of the day at English Bay. There's a beach there-"

"We saw a seal!" Anne said.

"We think it was a seal. It was pretty far out in the ocean."

"We built sand castles!"

"It sounds like you had a lot of fun!" Amara said, putting extra cheer into her voice. Anne nodded and chased a carrot slice around her plate with her fork.

"We went in the water, but only up to our ankles. I was holding her hand the whole time," Dani said.

The younger woman had developed an over-protective streak when it came to Anne. The result of her own experiences as a young girl? There was still a lot to learn about her young lover, and Amara had been cautious about probing too deeply into Dani's childhood. In any case, Amara knew Anne was safe when Dani was in charge. Perhaps a bit too safe at times, but better to err on the side of caution.

"I wish I could have been there instead of sitting in a conference room role-playing crisis interventions," Amara said.

"We'll go back on Saturday after the conference is over. There's also an aquarium - it's got penguins and sea lions and stuff like that. I figured we could all go together. It'd be more fun if you were there too."

"I'd love that." Amara was grateful that Dani had already made a plan to include her.

"Amara!" A man's voice rose above the chatter in the restaurant.

Amara looked up to see three men from her conference group looking at her, one waving wildly. She felt a surge of mixed excitement and anxiety. She'd chosen the restaurant deliberately, hoping that other conference attendees would be eating there. People she knew, and who knew her name, but who weren't close acquaintances and who had no connection to her business or personal circles in Toronto.

The perfect test subjects.

"I'll take Anne to the bathroom. You guys can talk business," Dani said, then lifted Anne out of her high chair. "C'mon, sweetie..."

"Wait. I'd like you to stay," Amara said, meeting Dani's nervous glance.

"I don't want to make things awkward for you."

"It won't be awkward. Please stay with me."

Dani reluctantly sat back down, holding Anne on her lap as though ready to evacuate at a moment's notice.

The three men were approaching her table and Amara took a steadying breath. As they came up beside the table, Amara stood and smiled.

"Bob! Quite a session today, eh?" She extended her hand and Bob shook it.

"Sure was, but why was the room so damn hot? You'd think for what we paid to attend, we'd get some air conditioning!" He laughed at his own comment. "Gord Evans and Russ Cooper," Bob said, gesturing at his companions as he introduced them.

Show time.

"Lovely to meet you." Amara shook the hands that were offered. "This is my partner Dani and my daughter Anne."

Partner.

It had come out of her mouth perfectly – exactly the way she'd imagined it. It sounded natural, as though she'd said it dozens of times before. No special emphasis on the word, nothing to draw attention to it.

She read their expressions intently, curious to see how the word had been received.

"Dani...is that short for Danielle?" Bob asked with an easy smile, extending a hand.

Dani quickly stood and transferred Anne to her left arm, then shook Bob's hand. "Um...yes...Danielle. Nice to meet you, Bob." She gave a polite smile and repeated the greeting with Gord and Russ.

Amara read nothing in their faces or tones to suggest...well...anything. No surprise, contempt or mirth, nothing to indicate that something unusual had been said. The maiden voyage of the word 'partner' had been a non-event.

"Mind if we join you?" Bob asked.

Amara added an apology to her smile. "Actually, we were just spending a little family time here. Could I catch up with you tomorrow at lunch?"

"Ah, of course, of course. Nice to meet you, Dani. And you, Anne." Bob made a funny face at Anne, then the three men wandered off to their own table. Amara and Dani resumed their seats, with Dani keeping Anne on her lap.

"You know those guys?" Dani asked.

"Well, Bob was in my role-playing group today. I had to talk him through an anger-management scenario. The other two I've seen but never met – probably HR professionals."

Dani nodded, then retreated into silence.

Amara was accustomed to Dani's silences but this one seemed oddly persistent. Amara made several attempts to draw her into conversation and Dani responded dutifully, but she was detached and not emotionally involved in the chat. She appeared preoccupied, like her mind was elsewhere.

It got to the point where Amara began to wonder if she'd hurt Dani's feelings in some way. Surely she wasn't jealous of today's session with Bob! Was she sore that Amara had made her stay and meet the three men? Had Amara marginalized her in the conversation? Should she have made a greater effort to involve Dani? Amara felt uneasy at the sudden and unexplained turn in the mood between them.

They finished their meal and returned to the hotel. Although it was still light outside, their bodies hadn't adjusted to the three-hour time difference and Amara was tired, which only made her anxiety over Dani's silence harder to cope with. She'd get Anne into bed, then get to the bottom of it. After role-playing crisis interventions all day, she felt ready.

Amara bathed her daughter and got her tucked in. The time difference was affecting Anne as well and by the time Dani had finished her shower, Anne was sleeping peacefully.

Dani put on her nightshirt and sat cross-legged on their bed. Amara sat down on the edge of the bed, facing the younger woman.

"You've been quiet. Something bothering you?"

Dani wouldn't meet her eyes for a moment, then finally raised them to meet Amara's gaze.

"Did you mean that stuff you said at the restaurant, or were you just goofing for those three guys?"

"What stuff?"

"You know...that I was your partner and we were having family time."

Amara put her hand on Dani's forearm. "I meant it."

The expression on Dani's face changed; a small smile formed, her bottom lip quivered and suddenly her cheeks was wet with tears. She sniffed and dropped her gaze. Her fingers worried the edge of the comforter on the mattress.

"I figured...you know...I'd get introduced as a friend. Or maybe...maybe your assistant. It just..." She sniffed again, then swiped the tears away with the palms of her hands. "It just felt really good when you said I was your partner, and that we were family. But I didn't know if you were serious or just-"

"I was serious," Amara said, cradling Dani's cheek in her palm and brushing a new tear away with the pad of her thumb. She felt emotion welling inside herself too, at seeing her young lover – her partner – so overcome. "I didn't know how it would feel to say it out loud. To say it in public. But it was true."

"It caught me off guard."

Amara gave a warm smile. "I want to start being more open about my relationship with you but...it's complicated, right? With Anne and my ex- and my sister and work...I'm trying to figure out how to go about it. This is new for me and-"

"I get it. Makes sense."

"But the way I feel about you is real, even if I'm not shouting it from the rooftops. It's important to me that you understand that. You're more than a friend and definitely WAY more than an assistant or housekeeper. Even more than a lover. You are my partner, in every sense of the word."

"I feel that way, too. I would do anything for you. For Anne..."

Amara chuckled. "Anything? Does that include painting my toenails?"

Dani laughed, then sniffed. She leaned forward on the bed and pulled Amara into a tight hug.

"That again? Fine. I'll paint your damn toenails."

The hug lasted a long time; neither of them wanted to end it. Amara stroked Dani's back, touched by the display of emotion from the normally reticent young woman. Amara had expected the word 'partner' to have an effect when she used it, but hadn't anticipated Dani would be the one most affected.

Had she really not known? Had Dani been doubting Amara's feelings for her? Amara resolved to do a better job communicating in the future.

**

The Thursday and Friday conference sessions were interesting and relevant; in the final analysis the benefits of the trip went far beyond the opportunity to expose Anne to a new culture and the chance to experience a more open and public relationship with Dani. Amara learned a lot she could use professionally, too.

She had to be back in the office on Monday, which left precious little time for a Saturday visit to the Aquarium, some window shopping on Robson and a stroll along the Stanley Park Seawall. But priority number one was a relaxing brunch on the beach at English Bay.

Amara carefully coated Anne's skin with waterproof sunscreen, ensuring she was covered in the stuff from head to toe. She even treated her nose, ears and neck; the wide-brimmed sun hat would offer good protection, but there was no saying how long the three-year-old would be content to wear it.

"It's nice here. Not as humid as Toronto," Dani said. She was sitting on the beach towel next to Amara, her legs stretched out in front of her as she unpacked a baby-sized bucket and sand shovel and started inflating a beach ball. She wore shorts and a t-shirt over her bathing suit.

English Bay was crowded with sunbathers, wind-surfers, waders and joggers. Off to her right some younger people were throwing a Frisbee around. A constant stream of pedestrians flowed along the paved path that skirted the beach in both directions.

"It's gorgeous," Amara said. She'd been only too happy to shed her clothes for the comfort of a swim suit – it had been a long time since her skin had seen the sun. She didn't want a tan, exactly, but a little touch of colour wouldn't hurt. And when else would she get the chance?

"Lots of people in the water. Want to do some swimming, sweetie?" Dani asked, cocking her eyebrow at Anne.

"First let's make sand castles," Anne said firmly.

"Yeah, okay." Dani handed over the tiny pail and shovel. Anne wasted no time and started shoveling dry sand into the pail.

"Since my hands are already greasy, why don't I do you?" Amara said with a nod to the bottle of sunscreen. "Take your shirt off."

Dani hesitated a moment, then pulled the t-shirt over her head and off. She held it modestly against her front.

Amara knelt behind her and squirted a generous pool of cream on her palm, then smoothed it over Dani's shoulders and neck, then down between her shoulder blades. She took her time, turning it into a light massage, even sneaking her fingers under the shoulder straps of the bathing suit.

"I would never have guessed you were so shy," Amara said, her voice full of tease.

"Who says I'm shy?"

"The bathing suit looks great on you, and you've got a lovely figure. Why not flaunt it a bit?"

"Why would I want to do that?"

"Maybe I like seeing you in your bathing suit. Ever think of that?"

"Seriously?"

Amara ran slippery hands up to Dani's ears and cheeks, then around to the front of her neck and her collarbone, ensuring they got a coating of sunscreen. "Sure! You wouldn't believe how many stores I visited, trying to find exactly the right swimsuit for you."

"One?"

"Lucky guess."

Dani laughed. "You're not the shopping type."

Amara moved so she was in front of Dani and began slathering the cream on her bare legs. Dani regarded her with an amused expression.

"You know, I can probably do that."

"My hands are already greasy," Amara said, enjoying the feel of Dani's legs under her palms. She worked her way up from ankle to knee.

"Yeah, but won't I have to do your back afterwards, anyway?"

"Shush." Amara slid her hands higher, to mid-thigh where Dani's jean shorts started. Going any further up her legs would require quite a bit more privacy. Still, Amara wasn't quite ready to leave Dani alone, so she began to slowly massage her way back down to her feet.

Dani gave a half-smile and shook her head slowly. "So, how does it feel?"

"Your leg?"

"No – I mean rubbing my bare legs in full view of, like, a thousand people. Pretty bold."

With a shock, Amara realized Dani was right! She'd been absorbed in the moment; the banter with her young partner; the sight of her daughter playing happily in the sand; the scents and sounds of the warm, sunny oceanfront. She'd forgotten she was in the middle of a crowd.

She quickly glanced around, figuring she'd have drawn more than a few stares, possibly some raised eyebrows. But no one seemed to be paying any particular attention. Everyone was absorbed in their own worlds, their own partners, their own lives.

Amara blushed and Dani broke into a wicked laugh.

"NOW who's shy?" Dani said.

Amara smiled ruefully. "No one even noticed."

"Some did."

"Well then...I suppose no one cares," Amara said.

"Wrong," Dani said, taking Amara's oily hand and giving her a wink. "I care."

Amara's smile grew warmer and she continued to hold Dani's hand as she watched Anne's first attempt at a sand castle and inhaled the warm breeze blowing in off the glittering surface of the water. She couldn't imagine anywhere she'd rather be, or anyone she'd rather spend the time with.

It really was a beautiful day.

**

The sun set as the three of them ate gelato on a patio on Robson street. Anne had finished hers and was on Amara's lap, slumped against her half-asleep. Dani was sitting across the small, round tabletop, clearly enjoying her double scoop of lemon-lime.

The area was a busy one on Saturday night, and people of every description packed the sidewalk on both sides of the street. Before long, they'd have to surrender their much-in-demand seating, but Amara wanted to pause for a bit to soak in the atmosphere. After all, it had been months since she'd last been 'out and about' on a Saturday night. And tomorrow they had a mid-morning flight back to Toronto, so she wanted to wring all the enjoyment possible out of her final night in Vancouver.

"So...what's the verdict?" Dani asked, gesturing at Amara with the tiny plastic spoon.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, ever since we got to Vancouver you've been holding my hand, we've been touching and hugging – you even snuck in a few kisses while we were at the Aquarium this afternoon. So I figure you're trying it on for size."

"Wow – was I that obvious?"

Dani shrugged. "Don't get me wrong – I'm not complaining. It's kind of sweet, really."

"I suppose I have been...experimenting, you might say. I hope it didn't make you feel awkward."

Dani reached her hand across the table and Amara met it halfway and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"This has been the most incredible few days of my life," Dani said. "I don't know how to thank you for bringing me."

"I feel the same way. I couldn't be happier with how the trip went."

Dani puled her hand back so she could eat her gelato. A few moments passed in silence.

"So? What's the verdict?" Dani said again.

Amara smiled at the younger woman's persistence. "I liked it. A little intimidating at first, but I'm growing into it."

Dani nodded. "That's good."

It WAS good, and Amara felt stronger and more assured than she had at the start of the trip. She still couldn't shake the feeling that people were staring at her small acts of affection for Dani, or that she was the centre of attention, but that worry was slowly diminishing over time.

And there was no rush – Amara could take it slow. She was confident in her feelings for Dani, and the two of them could express their relationship in whatever ways made sense for them both. Amara felt more excitement than anxiety, and was eager to carry her love for Dani into the future.

**

A couple of weeks passed.

With Dani a pillar at home, things were smoothing out at work. The backlog of work that had seemed insurmountable just short while ago had been cleared and Amara was making headway on the projects that most demanded her attention.