An Officer and a Gentleman-1777

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What are you doing? Are you crazy?" Jackson said to him. "This is not your fight! He is goading you."

"I know that," Jeffrey whispered back. "He has made it my fight."

"He aims to kill you."

"Lucien, you surprise me. Have you no faith in me?" He looked over his shoulder at Sir Phillip. "Perhaps I will kill him."

"Gentlemen this is most unusual," Booth said trying to bring sanity to an insane situation.

Sir Phillip and Jeffrey said, "Let's get started."

Booth explained the rules. They would stand back to back and then take ten paces. At ten paces they would turn and face each other. They were not to fire until Booth gave the command to. Jeffrey had the right of first fire. After he fired, Sir Phillip may fire and Jeffrey must stand and face him until then. Both men inspected the weapons and chose their piece.

As he walked the ten paces, Jeffrey realized he was sweating despite the cold morning air yet he felt no nerves. He had killed before but that was in the heat of battle. This was different. One on one, face to face. He stopped and turned.

He saw Sir Phillip standing there, facing him. Jeffrey raised his pistol and pointed at Sir Phillip's mid-section. "I have no quarrel with you, Sir Phillip." He quickly pointed the gun at the ground and fired.

The sound echoed throughout the barn and the smell of sulfur filled the air. As the smoke cleared, Sir Phillip was still standing.

All kinds of thoughts raced through Jeffrey's mind. He had not survived the battlefield to die here in this stinking barn. His life would not end here There was something more, some reason for him to live. He awaited his fate, bravely, calmly.

Sir Phillip took a step forward. "One last time, Major. Did you read the second letter and know of its content?"

"No, Sir Phillip. Upon my word as an officer and a gentlemen, I did not read the letter nor do I know its content."

"Very well, sir," Sir Phillip took a step back. He pointed the pistol at Jeffrey and exclaimed, "See you in Hell, Tremaine!" Swiftly, he swung the pistol, pressed it tight to his own temple and pulled the trigger.

12