Another Springtime Ch. 11

Story Info
Living with & loving his pretty little vixen.
6.1k words
4.74
16.7k
0

Part 11 of the 13 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 11/23/2004
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Sailor1
Sailor1
51 Followers

Chapter 11: Living With and Loving My Pretty Little Vixen

The event of our marriage had swept upon us much quicker than either of us had ever supposed would be the case, and several details had been left unattended.

We went shopping together for rings, including a jeweler's shop in Bellevue where he made all his own stuff, all of it impressively beautiful and unique. The problem was that she didn't want a ring. When after some discussion I proposed that I might give her some other kind of jewelry with which she would feel more at ease, and she agreed, and we settled on simple gold bands to at least comply with tradition. I really didn't want her out there in the world and some fellow thinking she was free for the picking, and she understood that.

Browsing in a mall a few days later I saw something that inspired me, and that same afternoon we went back to the jeweler's shop with my design. On a delicate silver chain, I described what I had in mind, a little heart-shaped pendant with a tiny pearl tucked inside the heart. Could he do it? Christine watched as he sketched an idea on a pad on the table in his cluttered workshop, and we refined the design and the craftsman complimented me on my artistry. He suggested some little variations in the heart profile, leaving it open inside, the more to highlight the pearl. I agreed. I asked that there be only one made, thus leaving it a unique piece forever. He responded readily, and asked if the pendant be for the pretty lady at my side. Yes, I answered, she is my wife, and a unique lady in the entire world. "Then," he spoke softly with a little flair, "so shall it be, and I will strive my hardest to make it a unique emblem of your love for her worthy of her extraordinary beauty. I thank you, sir, for the opportunity to serve you in this way."

I turned to Christine and found her watching with great interest, dumbstruck at my idea, impressed with the man's declaration, and with her one hand at her throat as if touching the pendant for herself as were it already adorning her. She looked up at me with love and appreciation in those big brown eyes, and even awe at what I had done. I asked her if she liked my idea and she just looked at me in silence, and after a moment nodded her head sweetly.

He said the casting and polishing and mounting would take him about ten days, we established a pick up date, I left an advance payment, and we departed. Only in the car did she recover her voice, thanking me gently for such a beautiful gift. For those ten days she stuck to me like glue, mentioning every time we checked our calendars that there were only so and so many days remaining until... and she was openly thrilled at the prospect of her pendant.

When the day came, and, in the parking lot under the big trees we sat in the car together and I clipped it around her throat the first time, she fingered it appreciatively and thanked me with a big kiss, and then curled up in my arms. "Thank you, Dace; I love it! It's more beautiful than I ever imagined it would be. Now everyone will know that I am really yours, darling. Thank you for loving me, and for your gift." What could I say? Of course, there were several dollars involved, but relative to value received, a mere pittance.

It was a beautiful day.

* * *

Education has a way of opening up the world to each of us in its own way, that being a little different for each of us, both with high points and low. For Christine it was no different, and the process itself was an eye opener.

One Thursday in November I reached her literature class as it was breaking up and found her just leaving the classroom with a couple of other girls and all three of them were practically in tears and deeply involved in their conversation. I had no clue as to what tragedy might have overtaken them and felt concerned. When Christine saw me she turned and welcomed me... and it was a few moments before someone thought to clue in into the soul-shattering events that had them so heartbroken. To my amazement, it turned out that that the class had read together out loud one of Willa Cather's short stories from herTroll Garden collection,The Wagner Matinee, and that is what brought on the tears in empathy for the woman in the story. She had given up so very much of herself and her musical talents and opportunities in Boston to go with her husband to homestead out in Nebraska corn country in the late 1800s. The story is told from the perspective and through the eyes of the lady's nephew, living his college years, I think, in New York City, and to whom she pays a visit while on a visit in the east after thirty-plus years on the plains. The young nephew knows his aunt as the lady In wanting to take his aunt to something special that would be pleasant for her he chooses a musical event, never imagining how the experience would reawaken in his aunt the musical ... and the emptiness of her years without music out there on the homestead.

Each of the girls felt very strongly the injustice of the woman's lost opportunity, the insensitive husband not realizing the cultural needs of his wife, and the bleakness of her world without any music when it had meant so much to her in her younger years. When Christine turned to me so confident that I would have a solution to this earth-shattering tragedy, the other two girls just sort of followed her lead and the three implored me to share with them the tragedy and injustice of this woman's immense sacrifice. Once Christine's example showed me to be receptive, each one of them had to unload their particular perspective on me and together they expected me to somehow redress the woes of the world and rebalance their sense of rightness.

Such would be a challenge for most with understanding and discernment very much greater than mine, but to an extent the task was within my capacity. One of the values of literature is that the thoughtful reader encounters over time a much wider range of life's experiences that might otherwise be the case, and of course that means wrestling with the whys and wherefores of same. Two examples of such literature in German immediately came to mind, Franz Grillparzer'sDer Arme Spielmannn, and Erich Marie Remarque'sDrei Kamaraden, both of which are first magnitude tear-jerkers in my book. Such stories actually offer us a good opportunity to lean about the vicissitudes of adult life, the odyssey upon which these three young ladies had so recently embarked. Our classwork was over for the day, it was now mid-afternoon, and we were headed home, and I seized upon what I thought my be a useful moment. I invited the three to an early dinner at Nikola's, a Greek place in Wallingford that was just great. It's gone now, but in its day it was superb.

Anyway, Christine was delighted and turned to her girlfriends and introduced me as her husband and the very nicest man ever in the entire world... and her enthusiasm quelled their anxiety and they accepted. It turned out that they both lived in Wallingford and knew Nikola's and had been there, and only Christine had not, and now they were encouraging her and the entire party moved forward from there.

Dinner lasted some three hours and more that evening, and we covered a wide range of ideas in an open and leisurely manner. I knew of Cather's stories from years before in my own classwork, and we looked at the story in detail, using ideas like individual choices, limitations of the times vs. what we have today, differences in expectations and standards in the society. In the case of Cather's heroine her situation was a result of her own choosing, though, of course, she could not in advance perceive the cost of her choices. She had said yes to her husband's proposal, I reminded them, and left unspoken the lesson for them to be wise in selecting a life's companion. The girls, each in their own way, seemed to venture forward, over the bridge, so to speak, between their typically short-sighted childhood past onto the broader plain of greater awareness of life as an adult. For each of us, when such moments occur, we leave a portion of ourselves behind as we push on across the prairie on our own journey of adventure.

I won't belabor the issue here, but it was a pleasant dinner time together. There was a high point for me, though. One of the girls, the blond-haired one who seemed to be such a quick wit, asked Christine, quite seriously I thought, how she found her husband. There followed a long period of silence as my girl mulled over her response.

"I think," she started off slowly, serious and certain in her way, "I think there must be a God in heaven who loves me... and watches over me... and blesses me." Her fingers were at her throat, fondling the little heart-and-pearl pendant there.

There was absolute silence at the table, and it seemed as if all the room were listening for her conclusion.

"I can not see any other way to explain it. I tried to be the best person I could be, but I had no way to ever have figured out who he might be or where I might find him... and then in the depth of great tragedy he appeared at my door as if God had sent him. Even now, that is the only explanation that makes sense to me."

There is little that will humble a man quicker than something like that. I can at least lay claim to enough sense to have known at the time to say nothing. She had said all that could be said. I tried not to blush myself at her very great compliment, and appear not too swell-headed to the other two girls. The silence at the table just drew out as each considered their own thoughts and what our dining together had wrought.

Expanding horizons and the opportunity to contribute to another's growth and welfare were the impetus to another of Christine's quantum forward leaps. If you yourself have not seriously studied a foreign language this experience will be perhaps a surprise, but for young adults who tend to be self-conscious a major challenge is accommodating the flood of a language's strange new sounds, all or most of which tangle the tongue and offend the ear. After struggling with how to assist my first and second year German classes to bridge this chasm more effectively, I hit upon what I thought might be an entertaining technique. I asked my wife to read to them and talk to them in German for a few minutes at the beginning of each of the two classes on Wednesdays, just some simple readings from their texts so that they could follow along. The point was to hear a native speaker handling the strange words and their sounds as if they made complete sense... which they did, of course, to Christine. The modeling in class in a small group with one their own age was worth a thousand hours in a language lab and caught on immediately. Her ear proved very keen, and from a group response to her she could pick out the one struggling with a certain sound.

She made two suggestions that proved of great value to the students. Firstly, from the vocabulary words for the week she would go over difficult pronunciation hurdles and model for them correct sounds. This made the vocabulary come alive for them somehow and was a great assist. Even more dynamic and powerful was her introducing little pieces of poetry for them. She would recite them first, and then invite them to recite with her, and she would explain word usage and meaning and assist with pronunciation, and Christine was able to do clever things with the rhyming sounds that triggered great interest. Magical! Poetry to many is unappealing and put-offish, but even one of the more macho fellows in my second year class was reduced nearly to tears by her offering the second day she recited poetry to them. She had selected Johann Wolfgang von Goethe's popular little dittyHeidenröslein,and her explanation showed the depth of her appreciation, and then, what I had not expected, her very tender complete reading which, just as she started, fingering the little pendant at her throat, she dedicated to her husband sitting in the back of the room watching her.

Sah ein Knab' ein Röslein stehn,
Röslein auf der Heiden,
War so jung und morgenschön,
Lief er schnell, es nah zu sehn,
Sah's mit vielen Freuden.
Röslein, Röslein, Röslein rot,
Röslein auf der Heiden.

Knabe sprach: Ich breche dich,
Röslein auf der Heiden!
Röslein sprach: Ich steche dich,
Daß du ewig denkst an mich,
Und ich will's nicht leiden.
Röslein, Röslein, Röslein rot,
Röslein auf der Heiden.

Und der wilde Knabe brach
's Röslein auf der Heiden;
Röslein wehrte sich und stach,
Half ihm doch kein Weh und Ach,
Mußt es eben leiden.
Röslein, Röslein, Röslein rot,
Röslein auf der Heiden.

[English]
Saw a boy a little rose standing,
a little rose on the heather,
't was so young and morning fresh,
he ran quickly to see it close,
and saw it with much joy.
Little rose, little rose, little rose red,
little rose on the heather.

The boy spoke: "I'll pick you,
little rose on the heather!"
Little rose spoke: "I'll stick you,
that you will think of me eternally,
and I won't ever regret it."
Little rose, little rose, little rose red,
little rose on the heather.

And the happy boy picked
the little rose on the heather,
Little rose defended herself and nicked,
it was to him but a tiny hurt and
he could not but love her evermore.
Little rose, little rose, little rose red,
little rose on the heather.

Goethe's syntax intentionally allows for wide latitude in meaning, and thus in translation, and therein is much of the wallop of this short piece. It stirs many deep feelings in the heart, for both the boy and the girl, because it addresses emotions on both sides. It turned out it had been one of Christine's favorites since she had been a little girl. When she concluded the three short stanzas, and it had become a struggle for her to retain her composure not long after she started, her voice was wavering tenderly and there were big tears rolling down her rosy cheeks. One of the girls on the front row pulled a tissue from her purse and handed it to her, and then Christine sat down next to her, shy and doubtless a little embarrassed. She had not meant to let it get so personal, but her emotion was deeply felt, and this came through to each in the class. I was stunned, and I had to check my own emotional reaction. After a longer than normal silence, I moved forward to resume the leadership of the class and noted that Mr. Macho four rows over had something in his eye. My real question was how to conclude the class in an appropriate manner. We had eight minutes remaining by the clock, but the feeling in the room left by Christine's very beautiful presentation meant too that for me to ignore that and attempt to do anything more with the language that day would be foolish and achieve nothing. They all knew that this tender-hearted girl was my wife. How could I ignore what she had said? I anticipated that they all, and it turned out that I was correct... they all expected me to respond somehow.

Standing before them, I started out in very simple German.„Ich weiß nicht viel von Blumen." [I know not much about flowers].

Es sind viele Arten von Blumen; wieße Blumen, gelbe Blumen, und so weiter, und die sind alle schön. [English: There are many kinds of flowers; white flowers, yellow flowers, and so forth, and they are all beautiful.]

This is an academic classroom, I reminded myself, and as such it was unclear to what extent such personal matters had proper place. A good teacher, however, knows to exploit situations to emphasize class material.

Einmal auf der Heide sah ich ein kleines, rotes Röslein...." [English: Once out on the heather I saw a little, red rose.] I moved slowly forward, drawing on the vocabulary with which they had just become familiar,

Das Röslein stach mich... stach mich im Herzen." [English: The little rose pricked me... pricked my in my heart.] I motioned with one finger to my heart in emphasis.

Seit dem Tage ist mein Leben ganz anders geworden." [English: Since that day is my life entirely changed become] Now my own emotions began to swell and my heart was overflowing with my joy at having her in my life. „Können Sie das verstehen?" [English: Can you that understand?] I was not at all sure where to go with this. Christine was holding the tissue to her eyes. Mr. Macho saw me with an altogether different framework than earlier; and I had the attention of every single girl in the class.

Ich liebe mein kleines Röslein, und es freut mich sehr, daß sie mir jetzt immer bei Seite steht." [English: I love my little red rose, and it thrills me very (much), that she me now always at (my) side stands.]

One of the things one learns with experience is when to talk and when to shut up. It was time to close things down. Enough was enough, and there were but seconds to go before the bell.

Die Klasse ist jetzt zu Ende. Ich wünsche einen Jeden einen schönen Tag." [English: The class is now to (its) end. I wish each one (of you) a pleasant day.] „Auf Wiedersehen!"

For the first time in my teaching experience, in the Navy or at the university, nobody moved... not a muscle, not for a long moment, even after the bell did ring. At last three of the girls invited Christine to go with them to the ladies room to freshen up and I began to gather my books and stuff into my briefcase.

It was a most endearing experience, and I shall treasure it always.

* * *

Let me describe something special about Christine that I observed over several months from about Thanksgiving time forward.

Perhaps you skipped over the part about her liking to sew. If so, that was a mistake, because her talent there began to show up in every aspect of our lives. For instance, today I am the only language professor at the college with hand made satin banners hanging in my classroom for each of the German-speaking lands, including Austria and Liechtenstein, and all theirLänder and, in the case of Switzerland, their cantons. Other professors are green with envy. Those are examples of the outward expressions of her talents that add color and pageantry to my world, but her expressions that are just for me are sweeter to me... sweeter to me and more personal and intimate than any man has a right to expect, but I shall not take you any further in that direction.

The peasant girl dress I mentioned above was a creative outgrowth of the pattern she found that first time with the sewing machine. The dress itself has since seen several iterations at her skillful hand and each presents me with a very special image. She makes them from a light, very soft cotton material, and adds her embroidery trimmings including her littleForget-me-nots in profusion. The style is a rather full, wrap-around with Empire waistline ties in front under her breasts, and the length is just to mid-thigh in most, one reaches to her knees. The top includes the typical puff sleeves and the scoop neckline, and the bodice is cut just full enough that her breasts are not constrained and the two halves are held together with a dainty little ribbon tie in front. The drape of the gossamer-like, almost translucent cotton over her delightful curves is a vision in loveliness well beyond a mortal man's capacity to comprehend. For her to move across the room with the large sliding glass patio doors behind her is to glimpse a spectacular heavenly body in her orbit...in her orbit around me!

The first of these cute little creations came out of the designer's shop soon after our marriage, and in one variation or another they have been her regular attire at home with me ever since. We have a standing rule that I open the door to guests and callers, ever allowing her first a retreat to realign her dress to something more modest. I tell you this since you would in a million visits never have an inkling of how cute my girl is when she's alone with me in her peasant girl dresses.

Sailor1
Sailor1
51 Followers
12