Aquata Cove: Epilogue 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well..." Naomi smiles as he sees the bronze sheen from Aalton's body from a distance, "This will be the closest I will know of Grandfather..."

Merrick's teeth grit as he hears that last statement. His eyes feel very tense and shaken right now.

~~~A Few Days Later~~~

"The resonance of your song is crucial for most of your power." Savarna says as she and Naomi flow a steady stream of light to add more crystalline branches to a tree of coral, "That said, we Noitas do not necessarily need to sing for us to use great power."

"But normal mermaids are able to control wind and waters to a degree, right?"

"Yes. The difference in power is just obvious between a mermaid and a Noita. Even in human form, our prowess can extend when we wish, limited it may be."

"Yes, the same it is with Father." Naomi says as the branches of solid ice reach out in more elaborate shape, "He is able to signal animals on the land if he can hear and understand how they sound. He once made a swarm, or 'school' of these very small animals called butterflies fly and move to his will."

"Interesting. Your Father used to do that for me when we were meryin. Brother would have schools of fish spiral and swim in a large whirlpool of silver flashes."

"Wait, 'meryin'?"

"Oh, it is our word for 'children', particularly ones who are a few years older from birth."

"I see." Naomi watches as their ice tree grows larger and larger as the currents of frost blows around it, "Thank you again for teaching me, Noita Savarna."

"My pleasure, Naomi. I only wish Brother introduced us sooner." They stopped with their power to take a break. "Though I wonder. Did your Father ever let you into the sea? He's had to if you were born a mermaid."

"Of course he did, but he never let me come with him any further. He said the ocean is too dangerous. And as it was said several times, some of the members of the Kenovani are not very accepting of me."

"More often than not, this is all true. But we merfolk cannot last long without the ocean itself."

"I am part human though. The sea does not call to me like it does with him." Naomi crosses her arms, "I wanted to see so much, and he held me back..."

"You have to understand," Savarna says, "Brother has lost so much in his past, including his sanity. At least he could entrust his mate to you."

"It's not that much of a concern..." Naomi dismissed with a sigh, "I just felt left out and a little lonely than anything. Sometimes it was difficult to fill the void when he had to go..."

---7 Years Ago---

Naomi frowns as she looks at the ocean with her arms crossed while sitting at the back porch. It's been about week and a half since Merrick had to leave again like he always does. Adam walks from the hall and spots his daughter sulking outside. He sighs as walks over to her outside.

"Miss him already?" He asked her as he sits down.

"No... I'm still kinda mad..."

"Is this about you not being allowed to go on the camping trip too?"

"No, it's not that, Papa. I still hate it that Dad doesn't take me with him when he has to go back."

"That again, eh?" Adam chuckled, "Honey, you know it's dangerous out there. Daddy just doesn't want you to get seriously hurt out in the ocean, he's told you a hundred times."

"But he's in the ocean, and merfolk have kids too, right? Why am I the only one who has to stay behind? I mean, Sabrina gets to go with Syrinx when she has to go."

"Sabrina's a bit different, hun." Adam adjusts, "She's... A bit of a rebel and a fighter. Believe me, Kevin and Syrinx tried stopping her, but she does not take 'no' for an answer."

"It's not fair. I can protect myself just fine."

"That's not the point." Adam tells her, "Sabrina is just different, Naomi. And look at Theodore; Belinda and Harold doesn't let him wander off in the sea either even though he's a merman, and he's way older than you."

"Aunt Belinda doesn't go in the ocean, Papa. I just..." Naomi looks over to the blaring light dancing on the surface, "What if something happens to Dad that I could help with? I wanna be there... If he just let me try coming..."

"Sweetie, I have spent years worrying my head off about his safety." Adam huffs as he puts his arm around her, "Merrick says a lot of things to happen in the ocean -- it's almost a guarantee. Maybe if you were a boy, Merrick might feel more comfortable with taking you with him, but you're not. Merrick doesn't know how to teach a girl how to defend herself."

"I can learn though..."

"Not that easy. It's something you need from the moment you're born."

"It's also lonely without him... Especially like when it's just you and me, Papa. It gets lonely at home."

"I know, honey. I know. I've had to go through this many times, and I still worry about him..." The two sit together for a moment before Adam huffs and gets up, "Come on. Let's go out, Naomi. There's this new BBQ place your Uncle Jay-Jay has been working."

Naomi sighs before she stands up, "Ok Papa."

~~~

The car soon pulls into a restaurant with wooden statues of tikis and Hawaiian totems placed all around the building, along with depictions of various scenes drawn and carved into the wall.

KAHIKO PAKU'I

BBQ

Naomi holds Adam's hand as the two of them walk in through the doors and into the lobby.

"Hey guys!"

"Hi Uncle Jay-Jay!" Naomi says as she trots over to Jamal, who then bends over and picks her up.

"How's mah girl doing, huh?" He says with a broad grin.

"Wow, look at you, you're looking sharp, Jamal." Adam admires, "What's with the vest and button-up?"

"Ah yeah, forgot to tell yall." Jamal says before he pulls up a shiny brass badge on the side of his vest, "Check it!"

Adam looks and sees the words printed on the tab:

[ASST. MANAGER

JAMAL]

"Whoa, assistant manager??" Adam raises his eyebrows as he looks at him, "You only been here a week!"

"Yeah, owner likes how I do things, and the position was open." Jamal grinned.

"Does that mean you're the boss now, Uncle Jay?"

"Heheh, naw, honey-pot." Jamal chuckles, "I'm like the boss's main helper. But when she's not around, I get to be the boss for a while."

"Oh cool!" Naomi beamed.

"So... Guess that means you're not coming back to the Dream Waltz then?" Adam asks.

"Yeah. Sorry, man." Jamal lets Naomi back down and stands back up, "Carla was a bitch and-"

"Jamal!" Adam snaps as he puts his hands over Naomi's ears just when Jamal said the B-Word.

"Ah man, sorry." He snickered, "I mean 'witch'. She and I don't mix, and Jerry don't got my back. Loved the place, but I don't think I'm ever comin back."

"Well that sucks. You used to get me free food! Now the new bartender keeps telling me to take off my shirt if I want a discount."

"Come on, man, you stopped going for a while before that."

"Mostly because of the way Jerry talked to the kids." Adam says, "And with Chloe signing up with the police force, the place is just less fun to work. At least Captain's got me back on full time."

"Hahahahaha, still can't believe that bi-"

"Jaaay" Adam hovers his hands near Naomi's head.

"Aight, aight. I still can't believe that LADY got to be a cop. You know she a hell-raiser."

"Well, she gets to beat the daylights out of people and get paid for it, it's what she does."

"Jamal!" Says the manager, "Can I speak to you for a moment? We have a bit of a situation."

"Aight, be right there!" Jamal calls back before he starts to step away, "I'll be right back, guys."

"Ok." Just then, Adam's phone starts to ring from his pocket, "Ah, hang on..." He picks up and holds it to his ear, "Hello? ... Oh hey, Yuri."

"Hhh?! She's up right now?!" Naomi beamed up.

"Yeah!" Adam nodded with a hush, "Yeah, it's about 4PM over here... No kidding, you sound exhausted."

"Papa, Papa, lemme talk to her! Please!" Naomi begs on her tippy-toes.

"Hahaha, hold on, Naomi wants to talk to you... Oh, that's convenient." He smiles as he squats down, "She wanted to talk to you too."

"Thanks, Papa," Naomi accepts the phone and holds it to her hear, "Hi, Mom!"

~~~

"Hi, sweetie~!" Yuri says lovingly as she holds the phone to her in the middle of a dark hallway.

"[What time is it over where you're at?]"

"3AM, Mama just got off of work a few minutes ago."

"[Why are you up so late, Mom??]"

"Emergency surgery, I've been working for 14 hours straight." Yuri says with her back leaning against the wall, frankly ready to drop any second.

"[14 HOOUURRS?!]"

"Yes, I can't even walk right now, baby."

"[Are you coming back home then??]"

"Ah, nooo, I'm sorry, honey. I have to stay for a few more days."

"[But it's already been a month! I miss you, Mom!]"

"I miss you too, sweetie. Everyday." Yuri coos tiredly, "What are you doing now, Naomi?"

"[Me and Papa are at the Kahiko place!]"

"Mmn, doesn't sound familiar, must be new." She chuckled.

"[Uncle Jay-Jay just told us he's the boss's new helper now!]"

Yuri gives a tired snicker from that, "Heh heh, I'm suuuuurrre he is."

"[Huh?]"

"That -- haalllwwwwllll," Yuri yawns and clears her throat, "Sorry, sweetie, I'm very tired right now. That sounds wonderful for him, dear."

"[Ok. Do you wanna go to bed then, Mom?]"

"Mnnhhh so much, Naomi, but I wanna talk to you some more."

"[Will you call me and Papa tomorrow?]"

"I'm not sure if I can, sweetie. Remember, it might be past your bedtime when I call you."

"[I can stay up and wait for you, Mom.]"

"Heh heh heh, I wish you could, Naomi. But you have school to go to."

"[Yeah... I miss you so much, Mom... Right now me and Papa are alone at home...]"

"Ah, so both boys are gone then huh? Heh, you sure you couldn't go on the camping trip as well?"

"[Uh-huh...]"

"Heh, well talk to your Papa. He has experience with waiting for your Daddy to come back."

"[Ok, Mom...]"

"And are you keeping up with your Japanese homework?"

"[Yes, Mom.]"

"Mmnn ok. I need to go, Naomi, I can't keep my eyes open anymore."

"[Ok, Mom... Come home soon, ok? Uncle Dennis misses you a lot too.]"

"Hahahahaha, I know I know, he texts me all the time. I'll be home as soon as I can, I promise."

"[Alright, Mom... Night-night.]"

"G'night." Yuri hangs up and groans as she slowly migrates away from the spot. She's not even going to make it to the hotel, she'll have to make her way to the on-call room.

~~~

Naomi presses the red icon on the phone before sadly handing it back to Adam. Naomi frowns as she sits on one of the lobby seats while they wait for Jamal to come back. Adam sits next to her and rubs her hand, "I know it's hard." Adam says, "There were days where I just spent my days completely alone in the house."

"... So how do you go through it?"

"Well..." Adam huffs, "I just try to pick up extra work, either at the docks or at the night club. I used to perform as a singer, you know that?"

"Yeah, but I never got to see you sing at that place because of your boss."

"Uh-huh." Adam smiled, "But he was being a total jerk so I stopped playing for him."

"Hehehe, even Chloe is nicer than him, she's fun!"

"Hahaha, yeah she is. Part of the reason why I stayed at that place."

"Heeeey," Jamal comes back trotting to them, "Sooooo, Adam." He claps his hands together idly, "Buddy, mah brutha... Best friend..."

"What do you want?" Adam said with a knowing smirk.

"Whaaaaat?" Jamal's voice goes a little high while Naomi giggles, "What makes you say that?"

"Call it a psychic hunch." Adam stands up and addresses him, "So what's up?"

"Aight, so, Michelle wanted to do this thing where we got live music, and the guys we hired ain't showed up yet, or we didn't get the papers cleared first, I dunno. So... I talked to Michelle, and... Ya know how you like to do favors for people?"

"The personality trait escapes me." Adam grins with his arms crossed.

"C'mon, man!" Jamal scoffed.

"Lemme guess, you already told her I'd do it."

"Weeeelllll... Kinda, man?"

"Riiiiight." Adam chuckled, "I guess I can spare an hour or two."

"Sweet! You're awesome, bro!" Jamal slaps Adam's arm.

"Do you at least have costumes?"

"Costumes?? Are you kiddin, this is a restaurant!"

"Damn, uh... At least any nicer clothing than... Well, this?" Adam gestures to himself.

"Uhhh, I'mma go check real quick." Jamal says as he side-steps away and rushes.

"You owe me for this!" Adam called out.

"What was he talking about, Papa?" Naomi asked curiously.

"Eh your Uncle Jay-Jay volunteered me to do some singing."

"Oh, ok." She nodded. Adam thought for a moment before he squatted.

"Hey, I've got an idea, sweetie..."

~~~

"Ooook, music-mix is all set and ready to play." Adam says as he taps his iPhone. He is currently dressed in semi-formal suit with a distinct red and cyan pattern, "Are you ready, Naomi?"

"Yes, Papa." Naomi nodded, the 10-year-old daughter wearing a magenta and cyan dress with a flower tucked behind her ear.

"Alright, sweetness." Adam and Naomi go to the small center-stage where a small band was supposed to set up. Adam kneels down and plugs his phone into the speakers before taking a couple of microphones and handing one to his daughter, and pressed play on the phone.

A soft twinkle of a nostalgic melody trickles up from the speakers. A few diners look and smile as they see this father-daughter duet get ready to take place while the music lifts off.

"...~Whatever you imagine~" Adam begins "~Can one day come to be ~There are dreams to awaken ~Roads to be taken ~Follow them, and they will set you free~" The music rolls along before Naomi takes her mic to her mouth.

"~Whatever you imagine~" A few people raise their eyebrows from the surprisingly clear and fluid voice of the little girl, "~Is where your heart can go ~There are worlds filled with treasure ~Time without measure~! ~To learn whatever you may need to knoooooow~"

"~Imagine~" Adam sings.

"(~Imagine~)" Naomi hymns.

"~And you and I~" Adam sings as he takes Naomi's hand and leads her around, "~Can fly paaasst the sun~"

"~And leave aaall~" Naomi continues

"(~Leave aaalll~)"

"~Our doubts and fears behind us~"

"~You see, that's just what can ~Happen~" Adam sings as he twirls his little mermaid gently, "~If you look inside your miiiind~" Naomi spins in a graceful dance before the spotlight, gaining the endearing gaze of a few of the adults, "~There's no limit to ~The wonders you can fiiiiinnd~!"

"~~Whatever you imagine~~!" Naomi's voice rings out as Adam hymns with her, "~Can make your life brand neeeeewww~!" As Naomi sings that last note, Jamal is still holding his phone up and watching them both perform through the screen of his phone. Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, Yuri peers through her straining eyes at the adorable spectacle from the illuminating frame of her phone in bed and listening to her little girl singing her heart out.

"~There are miracles waiting~" Adam kneels down as he dances with her.

"~So keep concentrating~"

"~And I promise you, that if you doooo~" The music calms down for a moment as Adam waltzes delicately on the small stage by twirling Naomi about around him, "~Whatever you imagine ~Can come truuuuue~"

The music continues as they dance step by step, Adam occasionally picking up his daughter to move a playful spin before the rhythm climbs up to a more dramatic climax. Naomi puts the mic to her mouth again, "~Whatever you imagine~!"

"~(Whatever you imagine)~"

~Can make your life brand neeeew~" She keeps with the voluminous solo, "~There are miracles waiting ~So keep concentRAAaaating ~And I promise you that if you dooooo~"

Adam takes her by the hand and twirls her again "~Whatever you imagine will cooooommme ~Truuuuuue~" The music taps in an ending twinkle of sound while the diners clapped for them. Adam notices Jamal's boss motioning for them, prompting him to turn off his phone. He does so, and gestured to Naomi, 'Let's go', He mouthed.

The two of them exit and meet up with the tanned lady with grey hair, "So how was that?" Adam asked.

"Beautiful, very nice, just wonderful." She clapped gently, "But honestly, NOT matching the current mood of the room."

"Whaaaat?" Adam huffed with a scoff.

"I thought we were good though, it's one of our favorites." Naomi says.

"Yes, it was, honey. It was very delightful." The manager says, "I was just hoping for something a little more upbeat, that's all. I wasn't looking for anything 'inspirational' themed, to be honest."

"Haahhh, alright alright, upbeat, got it." Adam nods, "How about Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride?" He suggested with a hint of sarcasm. Frankly it's a blatant turn-off to get this sort of reaction after a performance.

"Uuuummm, sure." She said, not really picking up on Adam's salty tone, "If it's upbeat and fun, go for it."

"Pfffgg, yeah, ok." Adam nodded as she walked off.

"Wait, which song is that again?" Naomi asked.

"It's from Lilo and Stitch, sweetie, you know it. Here, hang on..." Adam scrolls through his playlist to find the right one.

"I might have to listen to it a few times..."

"Hmmm... You know, I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but how would you like to join a Glee club, Naomi?"

"Glee club? What's that?"

"Heh heh heh, you know that TV show we like to watch where those teenagers sing and dance?"

---Present Day---

"I can't help but feel he was forcing me to keep from knowing about my heritage." Naomi says.

"Brother can be overprotective that way." Savarna says, "My Father was the same way at times."

"It's in the past now, but I am glad to finally be able to BE a mermaid, among others like me. Heh heh, and it's not like I had absolutely nothing to do."

Savarna looks back over to the vast expanse of Atlantis, knowing Merrick is attending business somewhere in their Kingdom right now, "Naomi... I want to talk your Father about..."

"I wouldn't recommend it." Naomi says, gaining an estranged look from her aunt, "You know how he is, right? Sometimes he just prefers to be alone..."

"Mother said something like that when I asked. When do you think he will be fine again?"

"Hard to say... That's what makes it tricky, right?"

"So how DID you wile away the time when you Father had to leave?" Savarna asked as the two of them swim away from their magnificent ice tree.

"Lets just say there is a club or 'pod' for a lot of things to do..." Naomi smiles.

~~~

"This way, Triton Merrick." Says a Disciple as she guides Merrick into the hall of the sacred palace. Like all of the other ruins, what isn't broken has been reformed or rebuilt by the coral deposits and branches everywhere.

"I wonder if the other Kingdoms look like this..." He pondered aloud, "With the coral growing and replacing what was lost."

"As I understand it," The Disciple says, "Lyoness is spawned with crystal, while Kandam is built upon metal."

"Pity none of us will ever witness them. Atlantis is wonderful enough though." It is just the two of them. The Disciple didn't explain what they are doing or where they are going; simply saying Merrick must come with them.

Finally, they enter a large, orb-shaped chamber. Merrick looks around and immediately notices there are seven statues positioned around the room -- 4 males, 3 females, by what he can tell. They vary in appearance and size. Merrick slows down as he looks at one of them, a male statue... This one looks somewhat similar to how he normally looks in human form, at least as best as he can see.

Just then, Merrick sees Umiato being escorted in, just like him, "Mother?"

"Son." Umiato says with intrigue, "You are here as well?"

"For what reason? Do you know?"

"I confess not, my Son." She answered, "I was summoned and brought here with no explanation." Just then, another disciple swims in with Aalton behind him. He looks to Merrick and Umiato with an estranged gaze.

123456...8