Artiface of Strength Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As William sank to his knees to hug his children, Florence saw that both children made a point of hugging their father's cheeks, one small head on either side of William's. Then she heard William whisper, "580", and then Noah respond, "436", and then finally Sarah whisper "7280".

Florence knew that Liz's human hearing stood zero chance of picking up her family's exchange. This must be something more private, something for just the three of them. And then it struck her; it was a phone number! Her mate had been preparing for this day since before he had even met her. Her heart swelled in admiration for him; she'd known that he didn't trust his ex-wife, but she had not realized until now that he'd actively taken measures to protect his children, even from his wife.

Throughout the loving reunion, Liz continued to fuss at the children for being out of their rooms without her permission, but only Florence heard a single word of it. The children and their father had attention only for one another, and it was crystal clear to Florence that despite her mate's beliefs that children needed their mother, there would come a time when these children would likely make a different decision. She resolved to prepare herself to wait for that day.

"We are so glad to see you Daddy; mama says that we are going on a trip soon and we were so afraid that we wouldn't get to see you before we left!" Sarah gushed.

Will reached into his pocket and pulled out his cell phone, saying, "Do you remember the number?"

"xxx-xxx-xxxx," they both responded proudly.

"Call me every night that you are gone. If you don't catch me, make sure that you leave a voice-mail so I can hear your voices. You know that I'll always be there for you, no matter what anyone else may ever tell you! Now, it looks like I might be changing jobs soon, so before too much longer, I should get to around more—a lot more.

Florence saw Liz's eyes narrow at this declaration, but before anyone had a chance to comment on Will's words, Burton's voice boomed out from the far end of the hallway, "Let's get this over with, Yazzie. You can say goodbye to my grandchildren on your way out."

William looked each one of his children in the eyes in turn and said, "I will stop and see you on the way out if I have to fight my way through the security team to do so."

"We know you will daddy! Besides... they are outside right now, just standing there staring at that guy who you brought with you."

"That's my girl! Always keep your eyes open and know what is around you.

"Know our surroundings," replied Noah.

"Yazzie!" Burton snapped once again.

"I love you both," William said as he hugged his children to him one more time before rising to his feet, and with a look at Liz and Florence, he said, "Ladies, let's take care of the unpleasantness first, and then maybe we can talk. Shall we?"

A moment later, behind the closed door in Burton's Sacramento office, the meeting began with a challenging hiss from Waters, "So you are turning your back on your family?"

Ignoring Waters' opening, Will instead responded, "Burton Waters, this is Florence Billington. She has come to speak for her father and for her tribe. I suggest that you listen to her."

Florence began right away, "Mr. Waters, as I'm sure that you are aware; our land is sacred to us, and we won't be selling. Our title to it is solid, you know that by now. The original deed is successfully filed and copies have been provided to the State of California, the Federal Government, and the Bureau of Indian Affairs. And, as far as Mr. Medina goes..."

Burton sat up rigidly with a start, his eyes sparkling with anger, now glaring at William.

Florence continued on, ignoring Burton's violent reaction, "He's come to an agreement with our lawyers, and all papers have been notarized and filed. Your play for our land is at an end. We've chosen to come here to negotiate a cease-fire before someone gets hurt. The armed men that you sent onto our land will not be allowed to leave next time. My father says that their bodies will be displayed for the press after he kills them.

Burton's eyes, which had been glittering with increasing hatred, showed something else with the mention of the armed men, suddenly showing surprise instead, confusion clearly written on his face.

"We know the men were yours Burton," William said softly, "but I see that you were surprised just now... You've gotten no report back from them have you?" Then William laughed before saying, "They took it away from you, and you didn't even know it yet. National Security has stepped in and squashed your plans for you."

"Florence," William said, changing his focus to his mate, "Give him the short version. He's got way bigger problems than us right now. He needs to get on his phone and figure out how much of his empire that he has left."

Confused, but trusting her mate's instincts, Florence continued, "Mr. Waters, you've lost this fight, but my father has authorized a payment of $100,000 to cover your lost start-up expenses. He said to tell you that we expect nothing in return for this gesture. This is a gift. Now, do you have a message for my father?" Florence then placed her father's card and a cashier's check made out to Burton Waters Enterprises on Burton's desk and waited for the explosion.

Waters was clearly hanging on by an extremely thin thread, but to everyone's surprise, he said nothing. He merely pushed William's termination papers across the desk to his ex son-in-law. William skimmed the document, scratched out one clause and then returned it to Burton, fully signed and ready to file.

"Now...get the fuck out of my house!" Burton growled malevolently.

"Quickly," William sent, "Liz is bound to be curious about what just happened. That might give us long enough for me to introduce you to the kids before she comes roaring back."

Eager to meet her mate's children, Florence nodded absently to the Waters and quickly filed out of the room with William. As he shut the door behind them, Will could hear the yelling begin, but he didn't bother to listen. That yelling was the detritus of his past, the eager eyes at the far end of the hallway were his future. The two wolves strode quickly to the young ones and William began the introductions. "Richard Noah Yazzie, and Lynne Sarah Yazzie, this is my mate, Florence Billington. She's been dying to meet you."

Florence sank to her knees and looked into the children's eyes from their own level and as she shook their hands, William continued, "We won't have long. Your grandfather is very mad at me. He's going to throw me out of the house very soon. Just remember that I love you and that I'd do anything to be with you more often!"

"Daddy, can we go with you?" Sarah asked.

"Baby, I'd love that, but you know that you can't come with me until the day that your mother says that you can."

"Or when we turn eighteen," Noah added quickly.

"On the day that either happens, I will rush to come get you," William said with a tear in his eye. "Remember the things that we've talked about, because they will be even more important if your mother takes you away for awhile. Remember the things that I've taught you!"

"Yes Daddy, we will," they both promised.

Then the children's attention switched to where Florence still kneeled in front of them. "Are you Daddy's new wife?" Sarah asked.

"Not yet, but I hope to be." Florence said with a hopeful smile.

"Mama says bad things about you."

Florence's smile faded somewhat, but she said, "She's just angry, dear. She doesn't know anything about me. Don't blame her though; she's just very unhappy like her father always is. Try to smile for her; I think she needs that from you. And always remember that family is important, even when they are mad at you. I had to learn that one the hard way myself."

Looking up to his father, Noah said, "I like her Daddy." Then he turned back to Florence and said, "If we ever get to come live with my father, will you be mad at us all the time like my grandfather always is?"

"No dear," Florence said with a sad smile, "I was always lonely when I was small, so I'd love to have you and Sarah as new friends. I'd really like that!"

Just then, the door to Burton's office slammed open as Liz flew out of it, screaming at the top of her lungs for that whore to get away from her children!

"Time for us to go," William said, smiling at his children. "Be brave and always do the right thing until we can see each other again."

"We love you Daddy," both children said as they sadly watched their father walk out of the mansion, their mother screeching at him the entire way.