As Fate Would Have It Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As they walked back in the direction of the school they found a busy little pub on the corner. It was packed with people and the smell of cigarette smoke, beer and good food drifted out onto the street, drawing them in. They took a seat in a booth in the corner and ordered burgers and chips.

"So, what'd you like to drink?" Jack asked, with a wink.

They ordered strong beers and sat, sipping them while they waited for their food. A few people from their school walked past and waved to them. The pub was quite popular not only among the locals but the older school kids because of how close it was to the school.

Their food arrived, and they all dug in, starving despite the snacks they'd stuffed themselves with during the movie.

Jack spoke with his mouthful "So, you guys enjoy the movie?" he asked.

"Yeah, it was good." Zoe replied, shrugging.

"Really? I've definitely seen better." Emily said.

"What?" Jack asked through a mouthful of burger. "I told you it would be terrible, but you still made me sit through two and a half hours of that terrible rom com?"

Emily shrugged and licked some sauce off her hand.

"Well, I am definitely picking the movie next time." He told her.

"You just want to watch mindless violence." She groaned.

"And you want to watch mindless romance and terrible jokes." He sniped.

They ate and bantered, the food was gone before long and they sat, sipping beer.

One of the kids from their school sauntered over, smirking and invited Jack to a game of pool though his eyes were skimming over Zoe and Emily. Jack ignored his wandering eyes and went off to join him in a game of pool which he would undoubtedly win.

"Well Zoe, you want a ride home or are you going to stay around here?" Emily asked.

"Where are you going?" Zoe inquired.

"I told Luke I would make it over to his place before the night was too late." She shrugged.

Zoe rolled her eyes and stood up. "Make sure you use protection kiddo." She joked, patting Emily on the shoulder before heading toward the bar.

She ordered a scotch and sat sipping, talking to some girl who was sitting beside her. The girl was a few years older than her, a waitress at a café out of town she told her. She was wearing a tight lace up leather blouse with a push up bra and far too much make up for Zoe's taste.

Zoe was only half listening to the girl blabbing when she noticed her eyes go wide and she pushed up her boobs (as if they would go any higher) and smooth down her hair. Zoe turned to see who she was gawking at and almost took a double take.

Mr. Oakley. How could they run into each other literally three times in a week when they'd never even met before?! It wasn't like London was a small city. There were millions of people in the damn concrete jungle. Zoe turned quickly back toward the girl, hoping he wouldn't notice her but it was too late.

The girl was beaming as she leaned over toward her and said "Oh my god, I think that gorgeous hunk is going to hit on me!"

Zoe knew the girl would be disappointed but said nothing.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

He was hardly surprised to see her at the pub. It was a hotspot for older students, especially the socialites which he knew Zoe was. A girl who looked like her didn't stay home on Friday nights.

He felt slightly angry, why was she here? She seemed to be looking for trouble. The girl she was sitting with was far from the type he would like her to befriend. He excused himself from the small party he had entered with and made straight for her before he even realised what he was doing.

He stalked right up, his jaw set and loomed over her, not speaking. She turned carelessly to face him and looked defiantly up at him.

"Please don't tell me you have to take me home and that I can't be here." She seemed to blurt.

He was slightly taken back. They hadn't spoken about that night since it had happened. He'd half hoped she hadn't actually remembered. It felt as if they knew each other in a completely different light than how they did during school hours.

"No, but what are you doing here?" He asked.

"I'm 18." She shrugged. "I'm allowed to be here if I want."

"Are you with someone?" He asked.

"Yeah, my friend Jack is over there." She said, gesturing to the pool table where the sandy haired boy from the club was leaning on his cue, laughing with another boy Peter didn't recognise.

Peter nodded curtly, pursed his lips then spun on his heels and walked off to re-join his friends.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Zoe watched him walk back to his friends, the same feeling she got after class was rising inside of her. She was surprised to feel disappointed, what did she want him to do? Demand to drive her home again so they could talk and laugh like she loved to do? She scoffed at her own stupidity, he was her teacher, he was just making sure she wasn't doing anything stupid.

She slid off the bar stool she was on and sauntered over to Jack.

"Hey Zoe, want a game?" He asked.

"You know I am not that great at pool." She told him.

Jack shrugged, "Better than most still. I can teach you some tricks if you want." He winked.

Zoe considered it. "Ok, fine. Teach me your ways oh wise one," she mocked him.

He grinned and swaggered over to her. "Here, hold the cue like you normally do." He told her, placing it in her hands as he came up behind her.

She grabbed it and leant over the table, lining up her shot.

She felt Jack lean over her from behind and grab onto her hands. He adjusted them slightly, "Here, try that, you might find your shots more accurate that way." He told her. She waited for him to straighten, but he lingered a while, his stomach pressed against her back.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Peter sat in the booth, sipping Jack Daniels and ignoring the conversation of his mates. His brother noticed.

"Why are you so pouty today?" he questioned. "You're usually the first to crack a witty joke about the ass on that girl." He laughed.

Peter's scowl deepened. "Don't talk about her like that please." He said.

His brother, John, looked taken back. "Since when did you start viewing women as people and not items?" He asked. "Do you know her?"

Peter considered lying, but decided the most likely way to get them to shut up would be to tell the truth.

"She's my student." He said bluntly.

The laughter died.

"Well that's awkward." One of his friends said from the corner.

Peter glared at him and he stopped smirking.

"Sorry Peter, we didn't mean to be inappropriate. She's mature for her age." John said.

"Yeah, and she's a damn fine lady. No disrespect." His friend Tim said, still looking Zoe up and down.

Peter glanced over to where Zoe's sandy haired friend was leaning over her, pretending to teach her how to play pool. He lingered far too long when he went to straighten, giving his already obvious endeavours away.

"Why are you staring at her then Peter?" John asked.

"What?" Peter asked, tearing his gaze off her to face his brother.

"Why are you staring at her like you haven't had sex in a year?" John raised an eyebrow. "Please don't tell me you are thinking about seducing your student."

Peter looked at him incredulously, "I wouldn't seduce a student." He snapped.

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't fall in love with her. The thought shocked Peter. He'd barely known her a week. It wasn't like he believed in love at first sight or fate or anything. There was no way he could be falling love with her he told himself firmly.

"Peter, are you ok?" Tim asked, "You look pale."

"Yeah, I think I am just going to go to the bathroom." He told them, almost stumbling over his own feet in his hurry to leave.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

He burst into the bathroom a moment later, pale and breathless. There was a kid washing his hands at the basin. He turned and Peter realised it was Zoe's friend.

"Hey man, are you ok?" He asked.

A look of realisation crossed the kids face as he realised Peter was a teacher from the school. Then something unexpected flashed through his eyes; anger.

"Wait, you're Mr. Oakley right? The new maths teacher at Herondale?" He asked, his voice darkened slightly.

"Yeah." Peter replied, wanting nothing more to turn and leave but knowing he couldn't just burst in then turn and leave straight away. Instead, he pulled a cigar out of his pocket and fumbled around for a lighter.

The kid stalked up to him, getting far too close for Peter's liking. He stood his ground as he found his lighter.

"You know Zoe Merton then right? She's in your maths class, last period." He asked, getting in his face.

The kid had balls, Peter had to give him that, not many people would dare get in his face like that.

Peter lit his cigar and took a puff before shrugging. "I've heard her name before." He replied casually.

Anger flashed across the kids face and he shoved Peter, forcing him back a step.

"Bull shit. Don't pretend like you don't even know her that well. I know what you did. She told me." The kid yelled now.

Peter's face dropped slightly. She'd told people? "What?" he asked, concern betraying his voice.

"You kissed her, I know it. In the back of your car when she was smashed." He growled.

Peter wanted to be angry but all he felt was shame. "It's true." He admitted.

The kid, Jack, seemed to soften slightly at that and back down.

"At least you can admit it." He said.

"Look, you can't tell anyone. Please." Peter pleaded.

Jack looked him up and down. "I won't." He said after a minute. "But not for you, for Zoe." He added.

Peter nodded. Jack went to move past him, out of the bathroom but paused.

"Do you like her?" He asked.

Peter frowned, confused. "What?" He asked, taken back.

"Was it a once off thing? Saw an opportunity and you took it? Or do you genuinely like her and the alcohol, the night, you just got swept up in it all?" He asked, anger touching her voice, but quietening at his last words.

Now Peter looked him up and down. This kid seemed to understand. Though he wouldn't have expected Zoe Merton's best friend to just be any old kid. Peter knew it was the second answer. He hated to admit it but he genuinely like her, perhaps not quite at that point. But as he'd gotten to know her, he was seeing more than just her gorgeous body. He couldn't say that though. It was dangerous enough to admit to his closest friends, let alone some kid he met in the bathroom of the pub.

"It was just a one-off thing." He said bluntly, then before the kid could respond he turned and stalked out of the bathroom. He walked straight out of the pub into the cold night air.

Outside, he leaned against the brick wall of the pub, raised his cigar to his lips and inhaled deeply. He closed his eyes and blew the smoke out into the air.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Jack came back from the bathroom looking angry.

"What's wrong?" Zoe asked him as he marched over.

"We're going." He informed her and took her arm.

She snatched it back, "I don't want to, I'm in the middle of a game of pool with Henry." She said, gesturing to the tall, dark handsome stranger in a tank top who was leaning against the pool table.

"Fine. He can take you home. I just wanted to tell you how much of a jerk that teacher you like so much is." He said then stormed off toward the door.

That got Zoe's attention. "What?" She called after him.

She took off after him, but he'd already crossed the room and was headed for the door.

"Jack! Wait!" She yelled. The pub was too loud for him to hear, and if he did, he ignored her.

She ran after him, out into the cold air of the night.

"Jack!" She yelled. But he was already gone, consumed by the darkness.

"God dammit!" She swore.

"Don't worry about him sweetheart." A familiar, husky voice said from behind her.

She spun and stared at him. Mr. Oakley was leaning against the wall, leather jacket, white t-shirt, jeans and thick work boots, smoking a cigar.

He didn't look anything like the Mr. Oakley she knew from class. It occurred to her that she'd already seen him earlier but she was too caught up in herself and the bustling of the pub to really notice him. He looked rough, dangerous and incredibly sexy. She admired the tautness of his t-shirt across his abs, the strong jaw line, lightly stubbled. The wavy dark hair and the cold blue eyes which drilled into her and looked her up and down slowly.

"What did you say to Jack?" She demanded.

Suddenly she felt exposed, like a deer being stalked by a lion. He stood slowly and walked over to her.

"Zoe, I'm not going to lie." He said. "I'm attracted to you." He paused and she took a shaky breath, Jack forgotten. "More than I've ever been attracted to... well... anyone." He frowned and took another puff of his cigar.

"You want to know what I said to you little boy toy?" He asked.

She didn't answer.

"He asked what you meant to me." He took another puff and began to walk around behind her. "Do you know what I told him?"

She was wearing tight jeans and a hoody but the cold still made her shiver. She bit her lip, holding her breath, and shook her head.

"I told him" he paused, "It meant nothing, that kiss, that it was just a one-off thing. I saw an opportunity, and I took it." He came back around in-front of her, staring into her eyes.

She felt as if she'd just been stabbed with an ice-cold dagger. She almost wanted to cry. It was so stupid, she'd only met him a week ago, she barely knew him. How could rejection hurt so badly? She dropped her gaze to the ground, refusing to meet his piercing eyes.

He dropped the hand holding the cigar to his side, and gently lifted her head to meet his gaze with his other hand.

"And do you know what?" He asked, his voice soft as a whisper. "I lied."

He flicked the cigar to the kerb and before she knew what was happening, his arm had slunk around her waist and pulled her close. His head dipped and met her lips, parting her lips gently. The kiss was tender, and one strong arm held her close to his body while the other caressed her face lightly. He pulled her closer, their bodies fitting together perfectly as he deepened the kiss.

Zoe gained her wits and pulled back, putting both of her hands on his chest, pushing back against the strong arm which kept her pressed to him. He got the idea and pulled his head back, though still holding her body close to his.

"What's wrong?" He asked, though he didn't sound overly concerned.

"Do you really like me?" She asked, "How do I know you're not just taking advantage of me again?"

Now he let her go. He took a step back and ran his hands through his hair.

"Zoe, you're right. We shouldn't be doing this." He paused, obviously missing his cigar, "But just know, I'm not taking advantage of you. Of course, I like you. If anyone saw us I would lose my job and get in some serious trouble. Do you think I would risk that for any old girl?" He asked.

She didn't answer and so he continued. "I could have any girl in that bar just about. I wouldn't get in trouble for kissing any of them or taking them home. But I'm not kissing them, I'm kissing you. I'm risking it all so I can kiss you." He said, taking a step forward.

He lifted her head gently with one hand and kissed her lightly on the lips.

Suddenly a figure stepped out of the shadows.

"You're full of shit." Jack said.

Mr. Oakley whirled on him. And looked him up and down.

"You don't know me kid." He said calmly.

Jack was far angrier, he stalked right up to him, getting in his face.

"You're lying to her. Admit it, you're a tool!" Jack yelled, right in his face.

"I'm not lying." Mr Oakley told him, his voice raising.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Anger flashed in his eyes and Jack swung a fist. It caught Peter on the jaw and he doubled over briefly, spitting blood onto the concrete. He straightened, anger bubbling up inside him now.

"Get out of here and mind your own business!" Peter yelled.

"She is my business!" Jack shouted in his back.

Before he could stop himself, Peter threw a fist into the kids' guts, making him double over, groaning. He straightened up quickly though, rage now evident in his eyes. Jack came at him again, he swung a fist which Peter blocked with his forearms. Peter threw out a right jab which caught the kid in the head just above the eyebrow, draw blood and causing him to stumble back. He recovered quickly and came at him again, kicking at his knees which lowered his guard then throwing a punch which caught Peter's cheekbone.

Suddenly Zoe was there between them and though neither man lowered his guard, neither dared throw a punch for fear of hitting her.

"Stop!" She yelled. "For fucks sake, stop! You're both acting like immature middle-schoolers."

"He's a jerk Zoe. He's taking advantage of you." Jack said, stepping back and spitting blood onto the concrete.

"You don't know me Jack." Peter growled.

Zoe held her hands up. "You're both as ridiculous as each other." She said. Then she whirled and stormed off into the dark.

Peter considered going after her, but Jack groaned, shaking his head then said "Stay away from her." Before running off into the darkness after her.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

"Zoe! Wait up! God damn!" Jack yelled, running after her.

She was hunched against the cold and her breath blew out in cold puffs as she walked, hands in pockets, glaring at the dirty pavement.

"Zoe! Come on! He had it coming, he shouldn't be kissing you for fucks sake!" He called, catching up to her and tugging at her arm.

"Just stop a minute!" he said, exasperated.

"What?" She snapped, stopping and turning to look up at him.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you. He's a jerk though." Jack explained.

"Look, it's none of your business, you weren't even meant to be there 'saving me' or whatever you were doing." She growled.

"What?" He asked, as she turned and started walking again. "Where do you think he would have gone from there? You think he would have taken you out to dinner? Or home to his place and then what, you'd start dating or something?" Jack questioned, following after her.

"No. I just wish you wouldn't be interfering in my life." She said like a rebellious teenager.

Jack scoffed. "Zoe." He said grabbing her arm and spinning her around to face him. "I don't know where you see any of this kissing going with him, but it's not good. He's a teacher, it can't go anywhere Zoe. You can't be his girlfriend, he'll just kiss you, or sleep with you, depending how far it goes, and then leave you." Jack said. "I don't want to see you get hurt." He said, gazing earnestly into her eyes.

"You don't know that." She said, pulling her arm free from him and continuing to march back toward the school where his car was parked. "Besides, you were the one who said I needed to have more fun. Maybe I don't want anything serious."

Jack laughed bitterly. "Fooling around with a teacher is not what I meant!" He said, frustration lacing his voice. "It's just stupid Zoe! Why can't you date guys your age?" He asked.

"Like who? Like you?" She asked, spinning on him again.

Jack shrugged, casting his gaze to the pavement now. Zoe's eyes widened, he looked almost bashful.

"Wait... you don't..." She trailed off, "Do you?" She asked.

Jack looked up slowly, he had an apologetic look on his face as he shrugged.

"Oh my god... how could I be so stupid." She cursed herself internally. "Jack... I- I don't know what to say."