Awakenings

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Ben_M
Ben_M
1 Followers

"So what?"

"So the desire for resurrection is exactly aligned with being made in the image of God," continued Father Brown, "and reflecting His image corresponds directly to God's will for mankind. But you say that this isn't supposed to be..."

"But the man's spirit is gone - gone for eternity," said the man's voice, much less heatedly.

"And how do you know that? Why are you so convinced?" the priest inquired.

"It only stands to reason. Only God can bring people back..."

"And didn't God bring this man back? Who made the doctors, and allowed them the insights needed to achieve this great miracle? Who is in the business of rebirth, of second chances, of regeneration???"

There was dead silence. Katameros became restless inside the confessional. Dr. Radcliffe put her finger to her lips to shush him. Finally, they heard the priest say, "Let him among you who can say with certainty that this man has no soul cast the first stone..."

* * * * *

There was a loud knock on the confessional door. Katameros gazed at Dr. Radcliffe, a look of resignation in his eyes. As the door opened, the pair saw the priest beaming down at them.

"Well, my children, that takes care of that," he said. They peered past him and saw an empty sanctuary as they exited the confessional. "But what about you?" inquired the priest, looking squarely at Katameros.

"What about me?" he replied.

"Where do you go from here? You've had to face a lot today - a lot of difficult truths," said the priest with a gentle smile and twinkling eyes.

"Difficult, yes. Truths, I'm not so sure," replied Adam.

"You're here for a purpose," asserted the priest, "you've been raised from the dead, and you will return to the dead - whether today or a thousand years from now. But there's a reason for you having that interim opportunity."

"And what might that be?"

"You expect me to give you the answer? That's something you need to work out with the one who made it possible."

Katameros glanced toward the doctor.

"Not her, my son," interjected the priest, "though perhaps she will play a role in your interim opportunity. Have you not been listening?"

"Yeah, I get it," he replied. A smile of acknowledgment broke across his face. "God has given me a second chance."

"And a longing for eternity," added the priest, putting his hand on Adam's shoulder.

Dr. Radcliffe moved to Adam's other side and took him by the hand.

"I have something to show you two," declared the priest.

He led the way toward the back of the sanctuary. There, in dazzling luminescence as the sun's rays shone through, stood a massive stained-glass window. In remarkable hues of pink, purple, blue, orange, red and yellow was portrayed a striking sunrise. Inscribed below the scene were these words, identified as being from the book of Psalms, the 90th chapter:

Psalm 90: 1-6, 10, 12

Lord, You have been our dwelling place in all generations.
Before the mountains were born
Or You gave birth to the earth and the world,
Even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God.
You turn man back into dust
And say, "Return, O children of men."
For a thousand years in Your sight
Are like yesterday when it passes by,
Or as a watch in the night.
You have swept them away like a flood, they fall asleep;
In the morning they are like grass which sprouts anew.
In the morning it flourishes and sprouts anew;
Toward evening it fades and withers away...
As for the days of our life, they contain seventy years,
Or if due to strength, eighty years,
Yet their pride is but labour and sorrow;
For soon it is gone and we fly away...
So teach us to number our days,
That we may present to You a heart of wisdom.

Ben_M
Ben_M
1 Followers