Baby Bump

Story Info
Two best friends are reunited after being separated.
14.8k words
4.09
21k
25
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Calvin Hensley was awake in cold sweat long before the alarm clock buzzed annoyingly on top the drawer. He only got a little, if at all any sleep the previous night. He rolled over and knocked the stupid thing off the drawer. It didn't stop buzzing and he didn't bother picking it up. He just laid there thinking about something about the Swiss being pretty confident in their chances of victory if they included a corkscrew on their army knife or something about penguins.

High school was really difficult, especially for a nerd like Calvin. When they were in junior high school, he and his friend Rich made a map of the school lunch tables according to popularity. This was easy to do because kids only ate lunch with others of about the same popularity. They graded them from A to E. A tables were full of football players and cheerleaders and so on. E tables contained the kids with mild cases of Down's Syndrome, what in the language of the time they called "retards."

They sat at a D table, as low as they could get without looking physically different. They were not being especially candid to grade themselves as D. It would have taken a deliberate lie to say otherwise. Everyone in the school knew exactly how popular everyone else was, including them.

It was on a Monday morning, the first day of senior year. Now, normally, it would have been like any other day, but It wasn't. You see, Calvin was about to enter a scholarship program. He had just moved from the US to Canada to live with his aunt, Martha. So, in a way, it was like the first day of high school all over again.

It was the A.B. Noel Endowed Scholarship for Wood River seniors or graduates, or current Central Community College-Grand Island science students into Oxford University in England. Applicants must attend CCC-Grand Island or Concorida Community College and have a 3.0 high school GPA or 2.8 college GPA. Preference was given to majors in chemistry, physics, and electrical technology.

He had maths class that morning. It wasn't that bad although many of the students were looking at him funny, which said a lot because, in his former school, he didn't get more than a glance or two his way. He thought he tied his shoelaces properly and he knew for certain he didn't have food stuck in his hair.

"I've seen nuns dressed better than you." Said a chubby student behind him.

That got a few other students giggling in class. He thought of a witty comeback, but he had nothing to say to him. Calvin managed to turn and get a good look at the chubby student behind him. He had a round face with freckles on both cheeks. His inhaler was peeking out of his chest pocket. He wasn't a bully, Calvin thought. He didn't look like one, especially with the dorky glasses he had on.

It was lunchtime and Calvin was seated alone. Apparently, he didn't have any friends and of course, no one wanted to sit with the new kid. He didn't particularly crave for social acceptance, but he wouldn't mind if he had someone to talk to, it was only natural. He tried to grasp the contrast of the social groups in his new school while he ate his lunch.

"I'm embarrassed to be seen with you and that's coming from me." Said the chubby kid from math class as he sat beside him.

"Then sit somewhere else." Calvin shrugged.

"I think you're attracted to me in a weird and homosexual way."

"What?!" He almost choked on his sandwich.

"This is where I usually sit. Well, me and my mates."

"Honestly, this isn't going to be too hard of a sell." Said a tall, skinny-looking fellow taking a sit across the table from him. "Of the top 10 highest grossing movies worldwide, 9 out of 10 of them involve superheroes. Star Wars: Episode 1, Avengers, Avatar, Boy-Wizards, Pirates and Toys. The lone holdout? Titanic. Expand it to the top 20? Even more superhero movies."

Calvin nodded lightly in a way that showed he and the skinny fellow knew what they were talking about and he showed genuine interest.

"Who are you?"Asked the skinny fellow.

"Oh, he's the new homosexual weirdo." The chubby kid chipped in.

"Are there other homosexual weirdos?" Calvin gave him a stupid look.

"Does that question justify the fact that you accept being a homosexual weirdo?"

At that moment, Calvin realized his stance in the social paradigm of events.

"How's this for a pickup line? If I had a star every time you brightened my day, I'd have a galaxy in my hands." The chubby one asked.

"Are you seriously gonna go through with it?" Asked the skinny one.

"Yeah. It's not good enough?"

"I think it's neat," Calvin said.

"Yeah. If you're looking to chat up your second cousin who had so much pity for you she would let you screw her." The skinny kid said with a full mouth. "You're talking about chatting up Merrily Summers, right?"

"Yeah." The chubby one replied.

"Get her a red matching Victoria Secrets and she'll go out with you. Turns out flowers or crappy pick-up lines don't mean a lot from where she comes from. She's kind of a slut like that."

That was Barry Griffith and Irwin Jones, respectively. They were members of Calvin's new social group or clique if you will. Every group of friends was diverse and its members each held a unique role. While every clique was different, there were common roles in which members tend to fall into, example, the funny one, the eccentric one, the introverted one, the superficial one, the list went on. Perhaps the most appreciated and what Calvin believed to be the best role he could have in a group, or in life for that matter, is the cool-headed one — Arthur Wolfe.

Arthur was a guy who had all of the qualities of a nerd such as playing video games, reading comic books, liking Star Wars, and so on but also had a social acceptance, sense of personal style, and great confidence when expressing his intellect.

After a few number of days that were surprisingly passable for fun times, Calvin became familiar with the going-on of things and events. He hung out a lot with Irwin, Barry, Arthur. Arthur was the flagship and most important member of the group. Now among the four of them, Calvin was often regarded as the good looking one. The others weren't unattractive per se but He had always been labeled as generally cute in a youthful and fun-spirited way.

"Have you ever been with a girl before, Calvin?" Arthur asked once when they were in the library.

"Once or twice, I don't keep a record," he said not taking my eyes off the book I was reading.

"It's a wonderful feeling when you're with a girl, especially if that girl is Mia."

"I can only imagine."

"You know Mia, she's one the sweet girls."

"Okay." He hoped Arthur's choice of conversion would change. It didn't.

"Last year I almost asked her out, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. She has a way of telling guys off without actually saying anything." He sighed. "She's probably gay, but that only makes her hotter."

"I thought you were dating Lucy."

"I broke up with her."

"Why?"

"She said she didn't want to see me anymore and I found that insulting."

"I thought things were going well. What happened?" He set the book down.

"I don't know, she didn't even give me a reason, but it's okay I'm fine."

"Of course you're fine." Calvin continued reading. "Not every member of a species finds a mate. Sir Isaac Newton died a virgin, look at the contributions he made to science."

"I'm not a virgin, Calvin."

"So now you think you're better than Isaac Newton? Oh, no wonder women don't like you."

"You can be a prick sometimes."

"What? You said you were fine."

"Sometimes people say things they don't mean."

"Oh, that's a paradox. I mean if you meant what you just said, then that means you may not have meant what you just said."

When Calvin got home, he thought hard about all he had accomplished socially. It wasn't much but it gave him a sense of satisfaction. He had kissed a girl before and it wasn't awkward in a way that they didn't talk to each other when they stopped being intimate which was only after a few days they kissed. The closest he came to the sexual satisfaction that didn't involve his right hand and his mind was when Megan Blake gave him a hand-job in a dark movie theater after he caught her with a jock from college. When he asked for sex, she dumped him. She reluctantly went out with him because he helped her with her homework.

The following day in class, Calvin could smell wet wool, because it had been raining with a little hint of sun ray peeking over the gloomy clouds. Every student wore a green, woolen jersey. The girls wore oatmeal swollen tights. No doubt some of the students stuffed their waste between the bar heaters and the wall because it was after lunch and eleven students ate their lunches in class. He heard the rain outside started to drizzle and students from an adjacent classroom about to visit the library. He heard someone at the back of the room tapping a ruler on the desk absentmindedly.

The sun that reflected through the water drops after summer rain was beautiful. A painting, painstakingly drawn from blood, tears, and passion, was beautiful. Love was beautiful. To say that Mia Monroe was beautiful was an understatement. She was like seeing the last single beam of light from the sunset illuminating the surface of the endless ocean. She was like a painted masterpiece, with its greatness so absolute making the artist go mad with the realization of never achieving anything nearly as perfect. She was like love. The one and only love. The kind of love that one would find themselves lucky to perceive only for a blink of an eye. The kind of love artist and musicians had tried to pinpoint since the dawn of art. Mia Monroe was simply gorgeous beyond proper comprehension. She was the girl that just walked into the classroom and Calvin's sense of reasoning found its way out.

"Hi." She waved at him and passed to her seat at the back of the class.

He couldn't focus anymore. He wanted to talk to her, to hold her hands at least. He would turn back occasionally to look at her. He memorized the time it took her crimson red locks of hair to dry out the moisture from the dropping rain. She caught him staring a few times, but she only responded with a warm smile that melted his soul. She would often giggle to the whispers of girly chatter she and her friends made behind him or maybe she was giggling because he was being a goof.

"Hey." He called her attention after the class.

"Hi, you look familiar, do I know you?" Her voice was sweet and welcoming.

"Um. I'm not sure. I'm kind of new here."

"Okay. What's up?"

"N—nothing." He stammered and looked for words to say as he got lost in her lovely hazel eyes. "I can't stop staring at you."

"Okay. That's not creepy at all." She giggled.

"If I had a star every time you brightened my day, I'd have a galaxy in my hands."

She smiled and he could see dimples on her cheeks. "That's cute, but we've only just met. Listen, I gotta go."

"Can I get your number?" He almost didn't realize when those words sputtered from his lips.

"Sure." She brought out a pen from her jeans pocket and reached for his fingers.

Her hands were so soft and smooth like fine cotton it was almost like she wasn't even touching him. He could smell her perfume from where he stood. It was an absolute delight. The tip of the pen tingled his palm and the softness of her hands invited him to a feeling of gentle pleasure.

"Call me sometime." She looked up at him. "I think I know you from somewhere."

He didn't take a shower when he got home from school. He thought deeply where she must have seen me. That was probably why she gave him her number. He was sure she didn't give it to everyone who asked, that would be a little off even for a sweet girl like her. She had a cheerful character and a soothing voice. She was the kind of girl he fantasized about; not in a lustful manner, but in a way that made him want to coddle her warmth of pure goodness.

"Alright, just a few more feet, and here we are gentlemen, the Gates of Elzebub," Arthur said.

"Good lord!" Barry murmured with his eyes fixated on the screen of his laptop.

"Don't panic, this is what the last thirteen hours have been about," Calvin said calmly.

"Stay frosty, there's a horde of armed goblins on the other side of that gate guarding the Sword of Azeroth."

"Warriors, unsheathe your weapons, magic wielders raise your wands," he commanded.

"Lock and load." Said Irwin eagerly.

"Irwin, blow up the gates."

"Blowing the gates. Control, shift, B! Oh, my God, so many goblins!"

"Don't just stand there, slash and move, slash and move!" Arthur shouted.

"Stay in formation."

"Calvin, you've got one on your tail," Arthur warned.

"That's alright, my tail's prehensile, I'll swat him off."

"I've got him, Calvin. Tonight I spice my meat with goblin blood!" Screamed Barry.

"Barry no, it's a trap, they're flanking us!"

"Oh, he's got me."

"He's got, Barry. Arthur, use your sleuth spell. Arthur! Arthur!"

"I've got the Sword of Azeroth!" Arthur shouted with pride.

"Arthur! Forget the sword, help Barry."

"There is no more Arthur Wolfe, I am the Sword-master!"

"Calvin look out!"

"Dammit man, we're dying here."

"Goodbye, peasants." Arthur laughed.

"The bastard disappeared."

"He's selling the Sword of Azeroth on eBay." Said Barry.

"You betrayed us for money, who are you?"

"I'm a rogue knight elf, don't you people read character descriptions? Wait, wait, wait, somebody just clicked buy it now."

"I am the Sword-master!" Irwin sprang up from the couch and was more than happy to inform.

"That's thirteen hours down the drain."

"So, are you gonna call her?" Barry set his laptop on the coffee table.

"No," Arthur interjected, "If you really want her to like you, give her her space."

"What are you talking about?" Irwin walked to the fridge to grab a bottle of water. "That woman has defiled all logic known to man by giving you her contact information. Clinging unto her like a lost pup is the very best you can do to win her sincere affection."

"Excuse me." Calvin picked up his phone from the table and went into the bathroom.

"Hello?" A darling voice called from it.

"Mia, it's Calvin. We met after history class."

"Yeah, I remember. How did you know my name? I never told it to you."

"I um—" he searched profoundly for words to say, "I took a guess."

"Really? You took a guess?" She said with an inkling of playfulness behind her voice.

"Yeah, I'm good like that. So anyway, I was wondering if—"

"—If we could go out for tea sometime?"

"Um. Yeah. How did you do that?"

"I took a guess. I'm good like that, too, Calvin." She giggled heartily. "I'm free tomorrow."

"That works for me." He smiled ear to ear and he didn't bother if his cheeks were hurting.

"Alright. Great. There's a cute café I like. I'll text you the address or can you guess that too?"

"It was a lucky guess. I'm not that good."

She laughed sweetly and hung up.

Tomorrow couldn't come soon enough. The only thing that put him to sleep that night was the thought of a pregnant woman being a human submarine if she took a swim in the pool. The next day, he borrowed Aunt Martha's car and drove to a small café that wasn't too far from his school. He thought it was probably where she and her friends hung out.

He arrived an hour too early, but that gave him enough time to come up with interesting conversation topics to keep her interested in whatever vibe they had going on. He was a nerd and she was the most popular girl in school. There was no real logic to explain what they were doing at that café. Was it a date? Was she drunk? Had she been drunk since they met?

After a while, the lady of the night walked in.

"I saw you sitting here, and I just had to come tell you you have the most striking sense of style I've seen all day." She beamed.

"How's your evening going?" Calvin offered her a sit across the table from where he sat.

"Well, depends on how this goes." She claimed the cup of tea on the table. "I thought we were having tea, where's yours?"

"I've already had like three cups. Don't worry about me."

"I'm not late, am I?"

"No, no." He sat back down. "I came a bit early, that's all. So tell me, Canadian native or you come from somewhere far away?"

"New York, born and raised." She sipped her tea. "Where are you from?"

"Right now or originally?"

"Um. Right now."

"Right now I'm a Canadian native. Well, not native, but I live here if that counts for anything."

"Of course, it does. You go to school here." She traced her fingers around the brim of her teacup. "How long have you lived here?"

"That's a good question, how long have I lived here? Um. I guess about two months. What are your plans after college?"

"I've always thought myself to be a paralegal."

"Oh cool, cool. Does that mean you aspire to be a lawyer someday, and you see how much work your boss has to do and say, Never for me?"

"I might be a lawyer someday. Actually, I'm not really into it. I'm doing it because that's what my dad wants." She sipped a little and set the cup down.

"You like it?"

"It's okay, I guess."

"Okay, well, why do you want to do something that's just okay? Why not do something that's amazing?"

"There are no amazing career choices." She chuckled.

"There's got to be an amazing job out there somewhere."

"Like what?" She fingered strands of her curly red hair behind her ear.

"Like well, I don't know. If you could do anything else in the world and get paid the same as what you'd get paid being a lawyer, what would you do instead?"

"Hmm, well, maybe I would work as a vet."

"A veterinarian?"

"Yeah."

"Wow, that's different from being a paralegal. What, you signed up for the wrong school or something by accident?"

She laughed. "No, my dad just thought there were more opportunities to make a better salary in law."

"I see. Think you'll stay in the legal profession forever?"

"Um. Maybe like five to ten years."

"Then what?"

"I don't know, that's a long time from now. Actually, I do some creative stuff on the side."

"Really, like what?"

"Paint, mostly. Take some photographs. I'd like to get my own studio." She brought the cup to her parted lips.

"Really? I love photography." He was actively seeking to bond with her over her artistic pursuits. "You take pretty good pictures?"

"No, I'm terrible!" She set the cup down on the table. "I can't even use a digital camera."

"You can't be that bad. You must have at least some good pictures."

"No, really. All my pictures suck!"

He laughed a little. "Well, sometime I'll give you some pointers. What else do you do that's creative?"

"Not really anything."

"There must be something."

"No, really! I'm the most uncreative person on Earth."

"Well, you do a lot of hard work for a law firm you don't want to get into. You've got to get creative to get some of it done sometimes."

He wouldn't let her win this frame battle. Of course, she did something creative. He had to get creative himself to paint her as a creative person, but he was doing it to build her up, so it was okay. If he let her won by implying she didn't meet a standard he had set, he would lose. He couldn't stick around and continue showing as much interest in a girl who had failed his screen. Thus, he refused to let her fail and found a way to help her pass. She saw this and viewed it as him really being on her side because he was trying to help her win himself over. Did all kinds of good for him.

"Maybe. Well, I do draw. More like a doodle. Does that count?"

"Of course. Millions of ways you can be creative. So do you make money through photography?"

"No, actually, I'm kind of a struggling."

"I have a part-time job, which is what I lean on for the bills."