B&B

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,802 Followers

"Did you ever get over his loss...understanding, of course, we never truly 'get over' it?"

"I guess after two years my heart stopped aching and I let go. I really barely knew him and yet my mind had no desire to ever let go." She looked at Fields and said, "I can't imagine what it would be like to live with someone all those years and then lose him or her."

"It's hard. Your brain keeps looking for some way to keep them alive. It still wants to be with that person. When you first lose them, your brain is 99% filled with thoughts and emotions about them, you know? You can eat, drink, and try to sleep, but they occupy all of your conscious time. At some point, and maybe this is nature's way, the brain simply can't do that anymore and it drops off gradually to some manageable level. I'm guessing that one day it might be as low as 1% but that may be overly optimistic. As they say, time will tell."

"I agree. Our brains are like computers. They only have so much RAM or memory and if a tragic event maxes it out, it can't handle anything else. You're right about gradually dropping off. You go from 99% to 95%, then it surges back to 98% then falls off to 92% and so on. I'm sure some people recover much more quickly while some may never recover," she offered.

"They're the ones who fall into states of depression. The brain can't handle that kind of emotion for that long so it says, 'Hey, I know how to end this suffering! I'll just shut down all feeling.' So you mostly stop grieving but you also lose interest in everything else. It's a kind of Pyrrhic victory. You stop hurting, but you also stop feeling."

"I don't think I've ever enjoyed talking to anyone as much as you, Gary," Misty told him. "You're not only intelligent, you're empathetic and insightful."

"Thank you for saying that, Misty, but it's mostly due to having been put through the ringer like you were. It tends to put life in perspective, you know?"

"I do," she replied. "I guess one of the reasons I've never gotten serious with anyone else is I need someone who 'gets it.' I don't need a man to pity me. I don't plan on bringing up my loss all the time. I just need him to understand how devastating it was and to give me space to still love him and not get jealous. Does that make any sense?"

"It does," Fields told her. "It makes perfect sense. I feel the very same way."

They sat quietly for a few minutes just sipping coffee before Fields said, "I should probably get things started."

"Oh, great! Let me give you a hand," Misty said.

"Uh-uh. Not a chance. I know how much you hate cooking, so I've got this. I already looked around enough to know where everything I need is located, and I can handle it from here. Just go do whatever you enjoy doing and I'll take care of everything else."

She stared at him for a few moments then said, "I enjoy spending time with you."

"Be careful saying things like that a guy my age. We can get the wrong impression pretty easily," he said smiling and pretending not to care how much she meant that.

"What would the wrong impression be?" she asked smiling politely.

"Well, a guy my age could think something like you might want to actually spend time with him other than just talking," he volunteered.

"That wouldn't be wrong," she told him. "What other things might he be mistaken about?"

"Okay, well, a guy my age could possibly even think a beautiful young woman like yourself might have feelings for him. As in...more than just platonic feelings."

"I see. But in my case, that wouldn't be a mistake, either," she said sweetly.

"Misty, I'm serious. I...I like you more than I've liked anyone since...you know...losing Grace. I'm probably a little naive and even willingly gullible and ready to believe the most unlikely of things. So please don't give me any reason to do that." He looked away for a moment then said, "Because it would really, really hurt to find out that's all it was was being gullible."

"I'm many things, Gary, but I'm not dishonest. I can't stand liars and cheats so I never lie to or cheat on someone I care about." She got up and sat in the chair next to him and said, "So anything I say to you I sincerely mean." She put her hand on his then said, "I would never intentionally hurt you."

Their eyes were locked in an unblinking stare for several seconds before Misty leaned toward him. Just as her eyes began to close they heard a cheery voice say, "Oh, there you are!"

Aunt Barbara came back from wherever she'd been and sat a couple of bags down. "Don't you need to get started on dinner prep, Miss?" she asked as she took her coat off.

Misty had pulled back immediately when they heard Barbara speak. "Um, yes. You're right. I really should get started except that Gary offered to make dinner tonight."

"Oh! I had no idea you were a cook, Gary. Listen, I'd love to give you a hand. Come on! Let's get started!"

Fields smiled at Misty who smiled back before looking away. He stood up, then put his hand on her shoulder partly to steady himself and partly because he really needed to touch her. Even her shoulder was good enough. He gave it a gentle squeeze and let his fingers slowly slip away from her as he walked on by.

Barbara proved to be much more of a hindrance than a help as Fields went about getting the evening meal put together. The main dish was going to be a ham and corn risotto with arborio rice, chicken stock, fresh corn, and smoked ham, seasoned with garlic, salt and pepper, and sprinkled with freshly-sliced chives and white cheddar cheese.

"This guy can cook!" Barbara said to Misty who'd been relegated to the role of silent observer. She hadn't said two sentences in the last hour, but she and Fields had spoken volumes in the various looks and smiles they shared. Some were intended only for the other's benefit while a few came at Barbara's unknowing expense as she endlessly prattled on about what an amazing chef Gary was or how he was not only handsome but talented. She even intimated she was sure his talents extended well beyond the kitchen to um...other rooms of the house.

When Barbara said that, Misty waited until she wasn't looking but made sure Fields was. She made a nasty face at Barbara then stuck her tongue out at her. Fields smiled then chuckled, then when Misty laughed too, they both lost it.

"What? What in the world is going on with you two? Did someone put something in your iced tea at lunch?" That made them both laugh all the more until Barbara got so exasperated she said she was going up to her room. She made sure to shoot a snooty look at Misty on her way out and it was all Misty could do not to burst out laughing again.

"That went well," Fields said once they were alone again.

"You say that sarcastically," Misty began before adding, "but in my opinion, that actually did work out quite nicely." She looked over at Fields who smiled and that was it. They were both in stitches again and looking for something to use to dry their eyes.

"I can't remember the last time I laughed like that," Gary told her. "That felt SO good."

"I know!" Misty agreed. "I feel terrible it was at Aunt Barbara's expense." She paused then added, "Okay, not that terrible," and there was another round of loud laughter."

Once they finally settled down, Misty asked if there was anything she could do to help.

"You're helping more than you can know," he told her.

"I am?" she asked having no idea what that meant.

"You are," he repeated. "Just seeing you sitting there is the most amazing thing."

"Oh," she replied finally understanding. "In that case, I'm enjoying sitting here and being seen just as much." She smiled at him then said, "The view is pretty nice from here, too, by the way."

"What else is on the menu?" Misty asked to change the subject.

"Garden salad and fresh bread," he told her. He'd been working on the bread dough for a few minutes and thanks to the fast-rising yeast, it would be ready to put in the oven soon after he finished kneading it. "I'll chop the salad when we get a little closer to meal time."

"What kind of wine do you want to serve with it?"

"I'm thinking white but it might be heavy enough for a rosé. What do you think?" he asked.

She got up and walked toward him. She stood directly in front of him and said, "I think we got interrupted before." Her eyes no sooner met his than she put her hands on his shoulders, stood on her toes, and finished what she'd started before they'd been interrupted. As their lips parted she said, "Okay, now we can talk about wine."

Fields entire outlook on life changed in an instant. Suddenly, everything was interesting again. The air was fresher, colors were brighter, the smells from the kitchen were more aromatic, and Misty was even more beautiful than before. They settled on a chardonnay and everything was ready to be put in the oven or on the stove.

"So this is actually enjoyable to you, huh?" she said as they sat back down at the table and waited.

"Define 'this'?" Fields said with a smile as he reached for her hand.

She gave it to him then said, "Not just...this." She looked at their hands laced together then said, "Which is very enjoyable, by the way. But...cooking. You really like that, don't you?"

"I do," he told her. "It has just enough complexity to make it challenging, but it's easy enough to make it enjoyable. So, yeah, I really like it." She was staring at him again and he decided to go ahead and just say it. "I really like you too, Misty."

"You just stole my line, Gary," she told him without taking her eyes off of him. "I was just sitting here wondering if you've decided whether or not you'll be staying beyond the three days."

"I can only think of one reason why I'd do that," he told her as their fingers gently touched each other.

"What reason might that be?" she asked quietly.

"It would depend on whether or not you'd like me to stay," he told her also in a very quiet voice.

"I would like that very much," she replied. "I would really like you to stay."

"Then it's settled. I'll be staying," he told her.

Misty leaned toward him and said, "I'm very happy to hear you say that." This time no one interrupted them and their kiss lasted for several seconds. "Very...happy," she said again.

Misty helped Fields chop and dice the salad after he put the bread in the oven then get the risotto on the stove. As he turned around to reach for a pan, Misty stopped him and kissed him then handed it to him. "Relationships require teamwork," she said with a big smile as she handed it to him.

"Is that what we have now?" he asked her. "A relationship?"

"I'd like that," she told him. "If we don't already have one...can we?"

He set the pan down then put his arms around her and said, "I'd like that, too. I'd like that...a lot." After he kissed her for quite a while, he looked up just as Barbara was walking away. He hadn't heard her or seen her but it was obvious she'd seen him. Or more to the point—them.

"Uh-oh," he said.

"What do you mean 'uh-oh'? I'd say more like...wow." Misty was referring to the kiss and hadn't seen what Gary'd seen. "Why uh-oh?"

He told her what he'd seen and Misty said, "Uh-oh. I think she really likes you, Gary. I better go talk to her."

"Good luck," he said sincerely. He had no romantic interest in Barbara, but he had even less interest in hurting her in any way. He sat down to rest his leg and shook his head as he thought about going from having no real romantic prospects to having two attractive women interested in him. "Feast or famine," he said out loud to himself.

About twenty minutes later, both Misty and Barbara came back downstairs.

"Gary? I wanted to apologize," Barbara said.

"Why? You haven't done anything wrong," he said.

"Maybe that's true, but I did pretty much make a fool out of myself the way I basically attacked you."

"You didn't attack m...." he tried to reply.

"Yes, I did," she said interrupting him. "You're obviously a very handsome man and we don't get a lot of them up this way." She forced a smile and said, "Anyway, I think it's about time for me to get back home."

"Aunt Barbara, please don't go," Misty pleaded.

"Honey, I'm not upset. At least not with you. Or Gary. I'm just a little too embarrassed to keep hanging around. Shame on me for being so...unrestrained and for assuming Mr. Fields would feel...well, anyway, I think it's time I left."

"I wish you wouldn't," Misty said again.

"I think it's best I do, sweetie. You know I love you like my own daughter, but where Gary's concerned, well, three's a crowd." She did her best to smile a genuine smile then said, "Whatever it is that's going on between you, I truly wish you nothing but the best." She hugged her niece then told her, "All I want is for you to be happy, Missy-Miss. So if this is short-term or long-term, if it makes you happy, I'm all for it. Okay?"

"Okay," Misty said finally believing what her aunt was telling her.

She picked up the small bag she'd brought with her then said, "Gary? It was a pleasure meeting you. I hope you can excuse my behavior?"

"There's nothing to excuse, Barbara. You're a very attractive woman. I was actually quite flattered."

"Okay, well, I guess I'll see you in a few weeks then?" she said to Misty.

"Please," her niece replied. "Come on, I'll walk you out."

Neither of them discussed what happened. Gary tended to the evening meal and Misty spent time with her guests as they came downstairs for dinner.

"So who's this mystery chef?" the older man asked. "Can you tell him to hurry it up? I'm starving!"

His wife hit him playfully again and the younger woman said, "Is it Gary?" pointing into the kitchen.

"At your service!" he called back.

"Something smells heavenly!" the older woman said. The smell of freshly-baked bread was wafting from the kitchen throughout the entire house. Soon, the guests were treated to a hearty, delicious risotto that was a hit with all of them.

"The man can cook!" the honeymooners said after taking a first bite. "This is delicious!"

"Everything was perfect!" the older woman said as they were sipping a second glass of wine. "The salad was crisp and fresh. The risotto was just so flavorful and the bread was nothing short of heavenly!"

"I think you're hired, Chef Fields," Misty said to him.

"I might just being willing to accept the job...Boss," he replied winking at her.

"I'll have to see what I can come up with to sweeten the deal," Misty said winking back.

The older woman saw Misty wink and her intuition told her something was going on. "Oh, my. Is there romance blooming at the Maple Leaf Inn?"

Misty smiled at Gary then told her, "Maybe so."

There were some raised eyebrows and an, "Oh-ho!" from the older woman's husband. "Things move a lot faster now than in my day," he said with a smile to Misty.

Misty smiled back and said, "Well, a girl can't always wait for the man to make the first move. If she does, he might not realize he should have taken it."

She smiled at Fields who said, "Hey, I resemble that remark." He came over and sat next to her and said, "Sometimes the man can't help but think the girl's so far out of his league there's no reason to take the first step."

"That just goes to show how wrong some men can be," she said before she kissed him in front of everyone.

Almost in unison, all four of the other guests made another 'oooo' sound followed by their heartfelt congratulations. "You make such a cute couple!" the younger woman said.

Feeling a little out of sorts, Fields said, "Who'd like some more wine?"

Once everyone had left the table and everything was cleaned up and dishwasher was running Misty said, "So I wondering if you might like to um...see my room later this evening."

Fields looked at her as though he didn't understand. "Why? Is it different than mine?" he asked.

"Yes it is, Mr. Wise Guy," she said playfully.

"Oh? How so?" he asked as he put his arms around her.

"I'm not in your room," she told him as she kissed him.

"Excellent point," he ceded when the kiss ended.

"We need to get dessert ready, but after that, I should be pretty much free the rest of the night." She smiled then said, "By 'free the rest of the night' I don't mean you're staying that long in my room, though."

"I never thought it did," he told her.

"Never?" she teased. "Are you saying the thought never even crossed your mind?"

"I can't honestly say that," he answered. "But I was picturing you possibly spending the night at my place in Charlotte one day in the not-too-distant future."

"Hmmm. I like the sound of that, but I'd need Aunt Barbara to run the inn until I got back."

"Ooooh," he said. "I hope no bridges were burned here today."

Misty smiled and said, "I don't think so. We talked privately for a while in her room and she made it very clear she wasn't at all upset. At you or me, anyway. Maybe a little disappointed she couldn't catch your eye, but not upset."

"Then I suppose all we need to do is decide on when," he told her still holding her in his arms.

"Well, I say the sooner the better."

"I like the way you think," he said with a smile. He kissed her again then said, "And the way you kiss."

"You're not so bad yourself, you know."

After dessert, Fields followed Misty to her room where they sat and talked until a little after 1am. Both of them knew there was a strong physical attraction between them and that they both shared the effects of a tragic loss. But they also knew they didn't really know one another.

Those first hours of conversation revealed they had many things in common from the so-called 'big-ticket items' like politics and religion to the importance of family to less important things all the way to the trivial. The one big disagreement was ice cream.

"I don't see how this can work," he said. "You're really a vanilla girl?"

"I am," she admitted. "Always have been, always will be." She got very serious then said, "How can you possibly like chocolate better? That's deal-breaker stuff right there, Mister!"

Fields laughed and said, "I'd say I'm not a 'vanilla kind of guy' but should we ever, you know, be...intimate...you'd see right through me."

Misty got up and sat in his lap making sure to sit only on his left leg, then put her arms around his neck. "Oh, that kind of vanilla. I see."

"Sorry," he told her. "I'd love to claim I'm a 31-Flavors kind of guy in the bedroom, but when you found out your choices were vanilla or French vanilla...."

"Mmmm. I love French...." She kissed him and for the first time offered him her tongue. They French kissed for quite some time before Misty said, "Kissing."

Fields smiled and said, "You may have just made a vanilla lover out of me."

"You mean French vanilla, right?"

"Tomayto, tomahto," he said with a smile.

He looked into her eyes and said, "You are so beautiful, Misty."

She put her hand on his cheek and said, "And you are so handsome," before offering him another helping of French...kissing.

Misty felt his response and said, "Maybe you should go before I run out of willpower."

"Oh...that," he said sheepishly. "Yeah, it seems to have a mind of its own lately."

She wriggled a bit and said sweetly, "It feels very nice, by the way. I kind of like the way it thinks."

Her sweet laugh made Fields laugh, too. "You're not just beautiful, you're...amazing. Did you know that?" he asked rhetorically.

"Pretty much," she said trying not to laugh. She kissed him again then said, "You make me so happy, Gary. Did you know that?"

He wanted to reply with a witty comeback of his own but didn't. "I'm glad. You make me happy too, Misty. Very happy."

All of a sudden she realized she'd slid over and was sitting on both legs. "Oh, my goodness! Your leg! Why didn't you say something?" She jumped and asked, "Is it okay? Are you okay? I'm so sorry! I totally forgot."

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,802 Followers