Because of a Rotten Fish

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Moondrift
Moondrift
2,268 Followers

There was a long pause as they both sat in the fading light gazing out over the river.

The moon was rising and the little silver streaks appeared on the water.

David broke the silence; "This really is a beautiful spot; it's about the best I've come across so far; wouldn't mind settling down here if it were possible."

"And it's not possible?"

"No, not really, this is a sort of last hurrah before I start life in the real world." He laughed.

"Where's the ‘real world'?"

"Back in the city, Baxter, Baxter, Baxter and Epstein."

"Sounds like a firm of solicitors."

"You're right, and in a few weeks it'll be Baxter, Baxter, Baxter, Baxter and Epstein. Of course Baxter, Baxter and Epstein have long gone to that great legal office in the sky, but there's still Baxter."

"Ah, let me guess, your father?"

"Yes; family practice."

"What about Epstein?"

"Granddad's brother-in-law in more ways than one." The flash of white teeth in the growing dark again.

"So you're to join the practice?"

"Yes, I've worked hard enough for it. No favours in our family, you work for what you get." He laughed and went on, "Wish this place was big enough to support a law practice."

"You like Queens Bend?"

"Well, I suppose that was a silly thing to say because I've only just got here, but I've always had a yen to work in the country. I'll take a look around tomorrow see how I like the place, but it's no use thinking about setting up here, I couldn't even if there was enough business."

"Oh, why? You'd have no competition."

"Ah well, you see, grandad left me a considerable sum of money in his will, but I can only receive it when I join the family practice; trust a lawyer to make life difficult; we're very family centred."

Reluctantly Prue rose to leave. Apart from the disturbing effect this quiet and gentle young man had on her, she found his slightly wry humour engaging.

"I'd better go now," she said.

"Mind if we walk with you?" he asked.

A little frisson of pleasure thrilled through her. "No, of course not."

As they walked back to her house he asked her how she came to be living in Queens Bend and did she like it. Prue managed to tell him the why and how without mentioning she was a widow or implying what her marital status was. They said goodnight on the river bank and halfway across the narrow strip of park she turned to watch David and Pat stroll back to their tent in the moonlight. She felt more intensely lonely than ever.

Chapter 5. An Invitation to Dine

The Dalmatian was due to return to its owner next day, so she looked in on it to check that Sally had fed it. It wagged its tail violently so Prue sat with it for a while talking to it.

"It's all right sweetheart, he's coming for you tomorrow." Then switching subjects - fortunately the dog did not comprehend this - "He's really a lovely young men."

In bed that night she used her vibrator again and became a trifle disturbed when it was not a vision of Jerry that overwhelm her as she orgasmed, but David. For the first time after masturbating she felt guilty, but not because of the masturbating, but because she felt she had been unfaithful to Jerry. She knew she was being irrational but the feeling did not go away.

The next day she confronted this unexpected, unsought and puzzling attraction for David. She told herself she was being ridiculous; "You know the man for less than one day and you're behaving like a sixteen year old school girl who's having a crush." Nevertheless her morning walk took her in the direction of the camping area.

Pat saw her coming first and came bounding over wagging her tail. David was cooking something over a spirit stove and looking up grinned and said, "Good morning, you seem to have made a hit with Pat."

"It happens that way with animals sometimes; they seem to know that you've helped them."

"You mean like that story about the guy who took a thorn out of a lion's foot, and when he ended up in the Roman arena to be devoured by a lion, it was the very lion he'd helped, and it would hurt him."

"Something like that," Prue laughed, "but I wouldn't rely on that where lions are concerned."

"No; got a busy day ahead?"

"Fairly busy."

"Look, I know it's a bit of a cheek, but I don't know anyone else here and I've been on my own a fair bit, so would you have dinner with me at the pub this evening?"

The tremor of excitement shivered through her again, but more intensely this time.

"Yes…yes…that would be nice, but it can't be until after eight o'clock, I've got the evening clinic. Will that be all right?"

"Certainly, is the pub very busy at that time…should I book a table?"

"If you just tell the owner it's for Prue, he'll know what you mean and he'll give us my usual table."

"Ah, you have influence around here?"

"Well, I managed to extend the life of his spaniel for about three years soon after I got here, so he's been very grateful. That's how it is around here, people don't forget."

"There is one thing, I won't be treading on anyone's toes, will I?"

"Treading on toes?"

"Yes, you know a jealous husband or some boyfriend built like an all-in wrestler?"

Prue laughed, "No nothing like that."

"Surprising."

"What is?"

"That there isn't anyone to get jealous."

"Why?"

Quiet gentle David suddenly looked embarrassed, as if he'd said more than he intended to, but he managed to go on, "Well…you are rather… nice…attractive."

Some women might have become skittish at this point, but Prue was not that type. She laughed and said, "Then I'm glad I shall be with you tonight."

David looked puzzled by her response and asked, "Why will you be glad that you'll be with me tonight?"

"Well, if you think I'm nice and attractive, you'll be glad to be with me."

They seemed to have reached a verbal impasse so David said, "Of course I'll be glad to be with you."

"Must go; it's time to start work. Enjoy your look around the town."

As she walked way David called after her, "Shall I come to your house for you or meet you in the pub?"

"Come to the house about eight fifteen," she called back.

Arriving back at the house she was greeted by the owner of the Dalmatian plus his wife and small child. The dog, now fish-hook-less, gave a yelp of joy, and for a few minutes there was much patting and licking.

That morning Prue had to go out to a farm to see a cow in calf, then on to attend to a horse that the owner thought had an infected hoof. That took up most of the morning and when she returned to the clinic she was greeted by a cherry faced Sally who announced breathlessly, "That fellow, David somebody or other…"

"Baxter," prompted Prue.

"Yes…Baxter… called in. He said to tell you the table is okay for this evening. You've got a date with him?"

Prue tried to remain serene and replied, "Yes, I suppose you could call it that."

"My God, Prue, be careful, there's something about him…you don't think he's a male witch who puts a spell on you, do you…I mean…he's so…"

"No, Sally, I don't think he's a witch, but as you say, there's something about him that attracts."

"He's got…got…." Sally struggled to find the right word and finally came out with exactly the same word that the elderly lady had used, "An atmosphere."

"It's you who should be careful, Sally," Prue laughed, "You're supposed to be a respectable married woman."

"Yes, but I'm not dating him am I? And even that elderly lady the other day felt it."

"Then perhaps we're all frustrated celibates."

"I am not," protested Sally, "Stan always…"

Fortunately for Sally a client entered reception with a white mouse in a cage and the conversation ceased.

Chapter 6. Dinner and Disappointment.

When the evening clinic was over Prue rushed upstairs and showered and chose her clothes carefully. She knew that David would not be exactly formally dressed since he was hardly likely to carry an evening suit in his canoe, so she settled for a casual shirt and slacks. In any case the pub did not demand formal dress; as the notice outside said, "Neat casual dress required."

Before she had completed her preparations David was ringing her doorbell. She invited him in and sat him down in the lounge, ran upstairs to put on some makeup, then changed her mind and ran downstairs again.

She was incredibly excited. She had of course been out with people but it had been with family parties or married couples. This would be the first time since Jerry's death she had actually been out with just a man for the evening.

When David said quietly, "You look lovely," she somehow knew it wasn't just a guy trying to set her up for the evening; his tone of voice was sincere, and she actually felt lovely, even without makeup."

As she had conjectured, David was dressed in jeans and T-shirt, but she could see he had gone to some trouble to make them look clean and pressed. "He's been to the laundrette," she thought.

"Let's go then," she said in a voice not quite steady.

The world of food exotica had not reached Queens Bend and it was a case of what you see is what you get. That thought came to Prue concerning the absence of makeup; "He's seeing the real me," she thought, and then wondered why it mattered to her, but some little devil inside her knew why.

If the fare was plain, the wine was excellent, coming from one of the two local wineries. Ted the pub owner knew Prue's taste in wine and nudged David in that direction. Since it was an expensive wine Prue wondered if she should offer to buy the wine if David paid for the food, but then she remembered the affluent suburb and the money granddad had left, and decided not to make the offer.

Around them at other tables were scattered members of the Queens Bend community and some tourists from the camping area and from what she could gather some people from a houseboat moored at the town.

There were winks, nudges and whispering among the locals and Prue could see that the females were coming under the influence of what the elderly lady had called David's "atmosphere." The males were as usual more interested in Prue and didn't seem to notice their companions' fascination with David.

David seemed to be oblivious to the curiosity he and Prue had stirred up, and Prue, trying to distract herself from these attentions and seeking for some conversational opening gambit asked, "How's Pat?"

"Ah, she's fine; one of the campers is keeping an eye on her for me."

"Will you bring her to see me tomorrow?"

"Do you think it's necessary?"

The question disappointed Prue, for although she felt that an inspection of Pat was unnecessary, she had hoped that David would seize the opportunity to come and see her.

"I would like to see her just to make sure," she said.

"Okay," David said and popped a piece of steak into his mouth.

"It's Saturday tomorrow and we are only open in the morning, will that be all right?"

David grinned and said. "I don't have too many other engagements to fulfil."

There was no doubt that Prue was thoroughly captivated. This odd young man with his "atmosphere" might almost have been a witch since she seemed to have fallen under his spell. It was his very casualness that drew her on to ask, "What are you doing in the afternoon?"

"Nothing, why?"

"You're not going on down river then?"

"No, I thought I'd hang around for a few days."

"I wondered if you'd like to go swimming. I've got a small motor boat and we can go to one the sandbars. We could have a picnic."

"Wonderful, Pat will enjoy that."

Again Prue was somewhat put out, she wanted to hear that David and not Pat would "enjoy that."

"About two o'clock," Prue said rather sulkily. "He started off telling me I look lovely," she thought, "so why isn't he following through. Perhaps he'll try and kiss me goodnight; I wonder if I'll let him? I could say, "We've only known each other for a couple of days, it's a bit soon for that."

Then she thought she wouldn't say that, and she'd let him kiss her and if he wanted more…she looked across the table at him; "Well, he's enjoying the food and the wine, but why isn't he paying me more attention? The first time I went out to dinner with Jerry it was so romantic, but now…? I wonder what he wants? Is it just a companion for the evening, someone to help fill in time with while he hangs around Queens Bend?"

David looked up at her and smiled. "Tell me more about yourself, you know, where were you were born, where did you grown up?"

"Ah, that's more like it," thought Prue, "He's showing some interest in me." She gave him a potted version of her life and ended be telling him about Jerry."

He looked very solemn but didn't, as many people had done, go into a weepy voiced sentimentalising. Almost his sole comment was, "That has been terrible for you; how do you feel about it now?"

"I suppose I'm through the worst of it, but I still get flash backs to Jerry, perhaps I always will."

"You must have loved him very deeply." It was not a question but a statement. Prue, not wanting or needing to elaborate, simply replied, "Yes."

David nodded and went on, "I'm sure he loved you very much."

Prue made no answer to that, but said, "Tell me about your self. All I know is that you belong to a family of lawyers."

More people had come into the pub dining room and from the bar beyond music and loud voices began to make intimate conversation difficult. They had finished the food and most of the wine so Prue asked, "Would you like to go now?"

She had no intention of asking him back to her place, but had in mind that they might walk beside the river, continuing their conversation, but when David said, "Yes, it's about time I got back to the tent and Pat," she felt another wave of irritation that she managed to suppress.

He walked with her back to the house. As they stood there much to her amazement and mortification he said, "I'll see you tomorrow morning when I bring Pat," then extending his hand shook hands with her and said, "Thank you for dining with me."

She nearly said, "Don't bother about calling," but managed to say, "Thank you for inviting me."

Never in her time with men or boys before Jerry had she experienced anything like this. She had known everything from a male quivering with desire and afraid to express it or do anything, to blatant bedtime offers, but nothing like this almost casual treatment. Yet like his "atmosphere" there was nothing you could get a handle on. He was polite and gentle but there seemed to be nothing solid. It was like trying to fight her way out of a pillowcase filled with feathers.

His beautiful teeth flashed in the moonlight as he smiled at her, and then he was gone.

Prue could have cried with vexation, her female ego in tatters. "He shook hands with me; he bloody well shook hands with me," she muttered under her breath. "He started by telling me how lovely I look and then treats me as if I was his grandmother all evening, and then ends up shaking my bloody hand."

She stomped into the house, went upstairs to her bedroom, stripped off, and not feeling in the least like using the vibrator, lay awake half the night wondering what was wrong with David or her.

With the dawn came with no improvement in her mood. Her morning walk was in the opposite direction from David's tent. "I won't give him the satisfaction of thinking I can't stay way from him," she thought.

She decided it was fortunate that Sally did not work on Saturday mornings, her place being taken by Cindy, a middle aged lady who just filled in.

"At least I won't have to put up with Sally's interrogation about the evening," but she was wrong. Almost as soon she got back to the house Sally was on the telephone.

"How did it go? Was it good? Did he try anything? I bet he did. What did you do?"

Sally was not only an employee, but also a very dear friend; but friend or not Prue snapped, "For God's sake, Sally, mind our own business," and slammed the telephone down.

About mid-morning David arrived with Pat. Prue had prepared herself to be cool with him, but as soon as she saw him it all fell apart. She felt somewhat ridiculous when she saw his smiling face. After all, what had happened? They had gone out, eaten a meal, and parted. Any coolness on her part would reveal that she had looked forward to more and she would then feel utterly humiliated. She also realised that she was not clear about what she had expected or wanted.

As she knew and as David had implied, she had no need to see Pat again since it was obvious the dog had recovered. For form's sake she asked a few questions and then declared Pat to be okay. David in the way some dog owners have, thanked Prue for what she had done and then told Pat to thank her. The dog probably did not understand, but Prue got some violent wags and a lick on the hand.

"See you this afternoon then," David said.

Prue saw her opportunity to avenge her hurt pride and said, "Oh you needn't bother if you don't really want to."

That seemed to pull David up; her shot seemed to have gone home because he looked hurt and said, "But Pat and I were looking forward to it."

As much as Prue was an animal lover there seared across her brain, "That bloody dog, he wants the outing for her and he doesn't want to be with me." It did not occur to her that both David and Pat, having canoed so far down the river, had had plenty of opportunities to swim and lay on sandbars and the only novelty about her proposed outing was her presence.

David looked at her keenly for a moment and went on, "Have I done something to offend you, Prue? If I have I'm sorry. I thought we were getting on so well; what is it?"

"Nothing, nothing," Prue replied hastily. "I just thought you might want to be on your way now that Pat is okay."

"But I told you I'm staying around for a few days. I've got to like this place. It's still on, isn't it, the picnic?"

"Yes…yes…of course; as long as you want to go."

"Wonderful." His smile flashed again.

At reception a flustered Cindy attend to the bill. "My God, he's got to her as well," Prue thought. With another of his smiles David said, "See you at two o'clock, then," and departed.

"You're going out with him, are you?" queried Cindy.

"Yes, we're going to one of the sandbars for some swimming and a picnic."

"Oooh, be careful, Prue, it was on a sandbar that my Arnold and I…er…where we got to know each other and that young guy's got a…a…"

"An atmosphere?" said Prue.

Yes…yes, that's it, an atmosphere. You be careful, anything can happen on a sandbar."

"I'll be careful," replied Prue a trifle grimly. For all his atmosphere and smiles she was still feeling exasperated with David.

Chapter 7. A Sandbar for Two Plus One

The morning's work over Prue prepared food for the picnic, and then got her self ready. Anticipating the swimming she decided to put on her swim suit under a loose dress. The swim suit could hardly be described as sexy. It was a modest one piece and had been a concession to Jerry who didn't like her to display too much flesh in public. "I'm selfish," he had said, "I want to be the only one to see you exposed."

Prue had been touched by this and had purchased the one piece for their honeymoon. In truth it could be said that the one piece was probably more alluring than many of its more revealing cousins.

Nothing but a sack-like garment could have concealed Prue's elegant female curves, and her breasts, which Jerry had once rather inelegantly described as being like large grapefruits with nice pieces of pink icing on top, were difficult of conceal at any time. For all the clumsiness of his description Jerry had enjoyed these delightful symbols of female splendour with great frequency.

Just before two o'clock David, with Pat, was at her door, a couple of bottles of wine in his hands. Together they hitched the boat on its trailer to her car, and then drove down to the boat ramp and slid the boat into the water.

Moondrift
Moondrift
2,268 Followers